• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Rinoa

Occasionally, I think people exaggerate about Rob Ford, but these kinds of things just make me realize otherwise. It's like he's parodying some whacky mayor from a terrible comedy show.

I feel sorry for whoever has to clean upthe city after him.

Toronto photo of the day:

7090229387_c9c60875ab_b.jpg

How did Sonki get banned?

Quick

Banned
Was is just because of the dumpster diving thread, or was he just building up and that thread just made him decide to do it?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Boy am I glad to be back in toronto! Went out for a walk with my friend last night, he proceeds to get egged. We go back to my house to clean up his jacket, I walk him back to his bike, and after we go our separate ways, both of us get hit again. Have I just been go that long? Is egging random people from your car a new pastime for the youth of our city?

Seriously. Not cool.

Lol the hell? Where did you guys go? I have never ever even heard of that ever in my time in Toronto.

Quadratic

I've always found TCAF to be the indie hipster comic festival. Not a lot of mainstream representation. No bias intended here but I love that they hold it at TRL.

It was first just down royal york, the he got hit again by ESA, and me just walking back home down my street. In other words, right near bloor street. And it was only like 10:30 pm the first time, not even super late. We've both been living here for all our lives, yet that's the first time it's ever happened to us. The dudes didn't even yell anything at us, just threw and drove away. We weren't mad, just really confused.

Bunch of people were robbed at gunpoint this weekend in Toronto by some dude running around the city.

Jupiter must be out of alignment with Mars or Rob Ford's KFC run altered the space-time continuum or something.

Roto13

I should take a look at the schedule. I went to a couple of panels last year (Chris Waaaaare) and really found them interesting. Probably finally pick up my own copy of Hark a Vagrant. :p I keep buying that for people as gifts and never for myself.

Last year I won a copy of Feynman, so that was cool.

I've always found TCAF to be the indie hipster comic festival. Not a lot of mainstream representation. No bias intended here but I love that they hold it at TRL.
That's the point. Mainstream comics get all sorts of exposure, that's why they're mainstream. This fest is to introduce people to something other than Batman or Spider-Man.

Roto13

Definitely going to the Jeff Smith talk. Gotta get him to sign one of my Bone books. :p You have to register for a free ticket to get in, so if anyone's interested in that, maybe take care of that early.

There's also the Comics vs. Games Creative Jam, which might be more interesting to the GAF crowd. Will be checking that out as well, since it runs all day.

Stet, are you going to have a TCAF table? I would buy your one-dollar comic. :p

Stet

Banned
Definitely going to the Jeff Smith talk. Gotta get him to sign one of my Bone books. :p You have to register for a free ticket to get in, so if anyone's interested in that, maybe take care of that early.

There's also the Comics vs. Games Creative Jam, which might be more interesting to the GAF crowd. Will be checking that out as well, since it runs all day.

Stet, are you going to have a TCAF table? I would buy your one-dollar comic. :p

Nah, we didn't register early enough. We might get a table at Fan Expo though.

We will probably be there though, if only to say hi to J. Bone.

Roto13

Nah, we didn't register early enough. We might get a table at Fan Expo though.

We will probably be there though, if only to say hi to J. Bone.

My friend will not stop bugging me if I don't go to Fan Expo with him this year, so maybe see you there. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally got around to buying our Zelda Symphony tickets. Ticket Master has as many fluff chargers as an airline. Convenience charge, order processing charge, and they wanted me to buy insurance for the tickets. At least the shipping was free. Haha. :/

Still, looking forward to go in September and picking up 100 streetpasses. Don't let me down, Nintoronto.

I met Jeff Smith at the first TCAF. Got him to sign one of my Bone books.

Pendleton Ward is gonna be there again this year. I saw him last year, briefly. I was in a rush, and didn't have a chance to meet him.

explodet

Pendleton Ward is gonna be there again this year. I saw him last year, briefly. I was in a rush, and didn't have a chance to meet him.
I almost got to see him the first day he was there, but they cut the line off right in front of me. Boo.
But he was nice enough to come back the next day! Yay! We were first in line.

Got our prints signed and had a little chat. Just a brief one, I'm not terribly star struck and it was a pretty big line. Real nice guy.

Quadratic

I've had that before. It's really good. The fruit compote they put on is a nice nice touch. My only minor complaint is that it's boneless. I'm a big fan of fried chicken thighs.

Quadratic

I really need to visit the Stockyards. Sucks that I live in the east end. Looks like they have an In and Out inspired hamburger too. Man my mouth is watering.

Dyno

That's a cool gif.

Quick question. What would you consider the best fried chicken in the city? (not counting the chains).

A page or so back I mentioned The Mugshot Tavern at Bloor & Keele. That's the best I've tasted. Will have to try The Stockyard.

In truth however I have found that while Toronto has an amazingly wide selection of food we don't have a lot of great southern American style restaurants. Good BBQ and fried chicken spots are few and far between.

It's funny because we have a massive BBQ culture and I'm making or eating ribs and such in the summer all the time. Maybe we get our fill at home and don't support the restaurants that would do it for us? I dunno.

A page or so back I mentioned The Mugshot Tavern at Bloor & Keele. That's the best I've tasted. Will have to try The Stockyard.

In truth however I have found that while Toronto has an amazingly wide selection of food we don't have a lot of great southern American style restaurants. Good BBQ and fried chicken spots are few and far between.

It's funny because we have a massive BBQ culture and I'm making or eating ribs and such in the summer all the time. Maybe we get our fill at home and don't support the restaurants that would do it for us? I dunno.

Purple Pig has decent BBQ. Some call it legendary (I don't, but I was raised on slow-cooked homemade back ribs, so I'm picky) but it's pretty good.

As for Southern comfort food, I second the mention of Harlem.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sick as this guy must have been to stab a dog like that, I sincerely doubt that it's typical in Richmond Hill.

I'd say it's even money that they've not released the dude's name because they suspect there would be neighbourhood vigilantism.

Yeah, I don't mean to throw Richmond Hill under the bus. I doubt there are legions of dogs being speared every day. :p

G&M reports he was a 68-year old man living in a basement apartment. Not to judge, but add the prepared spear he was caring around, and it seems to me like he might be a bit loose in the head.

Top Bottom