• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm starting to resent this beautiful city I live in for the severe lack of job ops, despite predictions of a good year...

G'damn.

What does most of Toronto-GAF do for a living?

Software QA and Project Management. Work is usually on contract and not always steady, but it's not unique to Toronto.

As an aspiring musician, care to elaborate on the musician part? I'm curious.

Sure. I started releasing albums and touring in Europe, Asia and North/South America around 2000. I was doing electronic music and having pretty good success. Album sales went down every year due to mp3s but I made most of my money from playing concerts/clubs and licensing the songs to tv shows. Also, an agency called SOCAN collects radio royalties that I still get today.
I stopped touring and releasing albums about 2 years ago because I'm just not inspired to write electronic music anymore. I just don't listen to it so I don't want to be some fake ass that makes music just because I was able to make money from it. So I'm trying to transition to dog walking now. It's going awesome and I've built a great dog walking business with my wife but I still make quite a bit of my income from music through the radio royalties and tv licensing deals.

oh I almost forgot,
Toronto photo of the day:

Rooftop%20East%20View%2005%20WEB.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Awesome photo. Must be last summer, judging by the construction of the twin tower there (on the left), which is now half way up.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Has anyone been talking about this yet?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...ber-to-face-conflict-of-interest-allegations/

TORONTO — In a Toronto courtroom in September, Mayor Rob Ford will answer to conflict of interest allegations that could see him ousted from his position.

Superior Court Justice Charles T. Hackland, who normally sits in Ottawa, will hear the case in Toronto, lawyer Clayton Ruby said in a press release.

The case against Mr. Ford, launched by Mr. Ruby on behalf of resident Paul Magder, claims he violated the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act by voting to excuse himself from paying back donations to his football foundation.

It focuses on a Feb. 7 vote in which council debated $3,150 spent on the Rob Ford Football Foundation. Mr. Ford allegedly obtained the funds improperly from company-connected lobbyists and companies, according to the city’s integrity commissioner.

Mr. Madger’s challenge alleges Mr. Ford violated the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act when he voted to overturn the commissioner’s decision.

What are you guys thinking about this?

jokkir

So some guy snapped at me yesterday for standing too close to him on the subway.

I was standing near some metro sexual asian guy wearing a suit (far away enough that it shouldn't have intruded his "personal space") with my friend talking looking at the transit map above and he snaps at me yelling "EXCUSE ME, DO YOU MIND PERSONAL SPACE?"

We were looking at the map. If he didn't want people to go close get out of there or at least ask politely.

I just said whatever and backed up. He didn't deserve that backup but whatever. No time for jackasses like him.

Kraftwerk

Toronto-Gaf is doing a meet-up on the 28th at The Central Bar. Live music, patio, big massive space. Lots of drinks and food. Feel free to drop by!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468452

We have table reservations, but will be able to accomodate more gaffers incase you come.

DATE : April 28th

TIME : 19:00 PM

It was extremely fun last time. Feel free to show up. Will go for Chinese food after. Pho or something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sure. I started releasing albums and touring in Europe, Asia and North/South America around 2000. I was doing electronic music and having pretty good success. Album sales went down every year due to mp3s but I made most of my money from playing concerts/clubs and licensing the songs to tv shows. Also, an agency called SOCAN collects radio royalties that I still get today.
I stopped touring and releasing albums about 2 years ago because I'm just not inspired to write electronic music anymore. I just don't listen to it so I don't want to be some fake ass that makes music just because I was able to make money from it. So I'm trying to transition to dog walking now. It's going awesome and I've built a great dog walking business with my wife but I still make quite a bit of my income from music through the radio royalties and tv licensing deals.
Justin bieber?!

JK

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Can someone recommend me a bar on/near the bloor line downtown? Just going to hang out with some guys tonight (fucking... fourth night in a row drinking, Im going to die) and I want something with a cozy atmosphere, I'm pretty sure there are going to be a few heart to hearts.

Roto13

Actually, nothing other retail places don't experience. I just need a better job, lol.

Though, my managers have been pushing us to really get up on customers' faces and act like we're on commission.

Tell your managers I'm less likely to buy books from people who annoy me. :p

I've decided to try to not drink any alcohol for a few weeks and see if it helps with random depression. Anyone tried that before?

7122536307_2e7c23149f_b.jpg

StevieP

Banned

Electronic music you say... Right up my alley. What was your name? :)

Azih

Toronto-Gaf is doing a meet-up on the 28th at The Central Bar. Live music, patio, big massive space. Lots of drinks and food. Feel free to drop by!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468452

We have table reservations, but will be able to accomodate more gaffers incase you come.

DATE : April 28th

TIME : 19:00 PM

It was extremely fun last time. Feel free to show up. Will go for Chinese food after. Pho or something.

How'd the meetup go? No way I was going to be able to make it unfortunately.

Quadratic

The Toronto GAF meetup was smaller this time. But I assume only the drunks came out this time. I went from beer to vodka to soju. Pretty much got destroyed by 12AM.

The Toronto GAF meetup was smaller this time. But I assume only the drunks came out this time. I went from beer to vodka to soju. Pretty much got destroyed by 12AM.
I think it's easier to drag people on an evening after work because they're already downtown. Saturday evening requires commitment.

Quick

Banned
Tell your managers I'm less likely to buy books from people who annoy me. :p

Yeah, we've already hinted at it, and already had people complain about being smothered like hell. I've stuck to my usual "need any help?"/"let one of us know if you need any help" approach, which works out fine.

What they want us to do:

"Hi, what brings you to our store today?"
"Let me help you find that book. Here you go."
"I knew a friend who read that book, and he really liked it."
"If you like that book, let me recommend you this one, it's good too."
"There's also an item at the gifts section that might be of interest relating to that."
"Here, let me open one of our candies for you to try."
"Okay, then, you have a nice day."

That may seem like a reasonable and normal way to go about customer service, and some of those come out naturally, like recommending another book or telling a quick story about it. But they want us to bullshit a story if there isn't one or be incredibly insistent. My manager tried the "let me open one of our candies for you to try" and it just looked so awkward since the customer kept saying no. My other manager cringed because that meant that pack of candy has to be scrapped.

But, hey, that's retail for you.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ford Nation to be unleashed on Kitchener-Waterloo.

“There is going to be a byelection out in Kitchener-Waterloo, and I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure a certain party does not win so they don’t get a majority government,” he said. “We cannot let the Liberals run this province like they are. (They’re) giving us very little respect. I like Dalton as a person, very nice person, but let me ask you guys — what has the provincial government done for us?”

lulz

Go forth, Rob Ford, brazen Torontonian, and tell another city what they should do. Because other cities in Ontario love it when Toronto leaders tell them what to do.

At the same time, ignore the city you're supposed to be running, because, you know, your constituents love it when you pretend we don't exist.

What's that? You're in a hole? Here's a shovel. Dig yourself out.

Azih

I don't know what Rob Ford is even mad at McGuinty about. Not ignoring council majority to build subways subways subways? And did he forget Ford Nation's failure to affect anything in the actual provincial election already?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't know what Rob Ford is even mad at McGuinty about. Not ignoring council majority to build subways subways subways? And did he forget Ford Nation's failure to affect anything in the actual provincial election already?

In Rob Ford's world, there are no councils and committees, simply people at the top making decisions. This is what he thought he was buying into when he ran for Mayor. And it's why he blames McGuinty for not stepping in to help him on transit city.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
7129981325_00e00d9c06_z.jpg

So here’s the formal invitation: Please join us next Tuesday for our “PlayStation <3 Canada” meetup in Toronto. You’ll get first crack at playing Canadian-born PlayStation titles such as the stereophonic side-scroller Sound Shapes (PS Vita), glorious 8-bit homage Retro City Rampage (PS3 + PS Vita), the brain-meltingly beautiful Dyad (PS3), and more that will be revealed at the event. We’ll have refreshing beverages on hand and maybe, just maybe, a musical act. Best of all, you can leave the Loonies, Toonies, hockey dollars and maple money in your wallet - this event is completely free.

When: Tuesday, May 8th from 530-8pm
Where: Camp Oochigeas Downtown [464 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, M5T 2S6]
What: hands-on gameplay with unreleased games
Admission: $0.00 (that’s $0.00 Canadian)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/01/playstation-loves-canada-youre-invited-toronto/

jokkir

I'll go to that PlayStation event. I was at the other one by the Ex (I forget what that place is called >>) and it was pretty fun (plus I got t-shirts!)

Cool. A friend of mine helped make that Sound Shapes game. Too bad I'll never own it since it's only on Vita. I can always borrow his though I guess!

7128172933_4960b06f55_b.jpg

I loved watching the construction of those towers. For a few years all they had were the signs and I was sure it would never look like that. And then even during the building they just looked like cylinders until completion. They are really awesome to right up from the bottom.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The centre of the universe is slowly sucking Mississauga into itself so I'm just speeding things along.

Also, The New York Giants play in New Jersey.

I can't wait until the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers play an hour south in Santa Clara, but keep their city names. :p

On topic, Mississauga skyline is pretty impressive now compared to just a few years ago. Coming along the QEW heading west, it definitely stands out. Hopefully there's a rail link to the TTC eventually.

Top Bottom