• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Quick

Banned
soultron said:
Good!

I will lead the charge then. I'll make a general OP for FanExpo and throw some meet-up details in there too.

Nice. I'd be up for a GAF meet-up. I'm going to attempt (keyword: attempt) being there for the 4 days.

Firestorm said:
Anyone know when Fan Expo schedule is usually released? I'm not sure if I want to purchase both a Saturday and Sunday ticket or not. So pricey -.-

Everything you need to know: http://www.fanexpocanada.com/

By "schedule", I'm assuming you mean the guests. The Guests link has their appearance dates.

Firestorm

I meant panels actually. I spent something between 10 - 12 hours in panels at PAX last year :p
Edit: Sorta low hopes as Fan Expo falls on the same weekend as PAX -.-

BKXB

Economist
DoctorWho said:
Since when was it illegal to ride a bike without a horn or bell? They sell bikes without horns and bells. Does not compute.

Been illegal for quite a while. As it's part of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, the same laws may not apply elsewhere. Thus, bikes without bells.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Any of you gentlemen (or ladies) going to the Festival of Beer this weekend? I myself am heading over tomorrow. Always a fun time.

Shame it's so hot, I usually try to rock my green Ireland shirt.

BKXB said:
Been illegal for quite a while. As it's part of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, the same laws may not apply elsewhere. Thus, bikes without bells.

What exactly am I supposed to do with a bell on a busy street?

Stet

Banned
DoctorWho said:
What exactly am I supposed to do with a bell on a busy street?
A bell is infinitely useful in the city when a) passing parking cars that might open their door at any moment; b) alerting pedestrians who aren't paying attention that they shouldn't cross the road because you're about to hit them; c) warning another bike that you're about to pass them on the left, etc.

It's a good law, I think, as a cyclist who's aware of his bell is in a safer position.

Boogie

Kave_Man said:
Any of you gentlemen (or ladies) going to the Festival of Beer this weekend? I myself am heading over tomorrow. Always a fun time.

Shame it's so hot, I usually try to rock my green Ireland shirt.

Going on Sunday for the Trews.

I don't drink beer.

Takao

Banned
So I got the FanExpo guide thing, and holy shit does it suck. CNAnime gets a single page in the book ...

If the guide they sent me is an indication of panels or something, the only thing I'd be interested in is the PlayStation Vita demo booth. But that's not $40 interested.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DoctorWho said:
Since when was it illegal to ride a bike without a horn or bell? They sell bikes without horns and bells. Does not compute.
Want something better? Ministry of Transportation sells clear license plate covers for cars. Police can ticket you for having a license plate cover, even clear ones. Most of the time they don't bother unless you're being stupid to them.

BKXB

Economist
Stet said:
A bell is infinitely useful in the city when a) passing parking cars that might open their door at any moment; b) alerting pedestrians who aren't paying attention that they shouldn't cross the road because you're about to hit them; c) warning another bike that you're about to pass them on the left, etc.

It's a good law, I think, as a cyclist who's aware of his bell is in a safer position.

+1 I use my bell all the time.

cbox

Bells and helmets should be required, it's really a no brainer. I wish I could have a train horn on my bike, maybe people will notice me then.

snack

Where can I get some dirt cheap tix to a Blue Jays game? I'm heading to Toronto on the second week of August and wanna get a dose of baseball. lol

snack said:
Where can I get some dirt cheap tix to a Blue Jays game? I'm heading to Toronto on the second week of August and wanna get a dose of baseball. lol

Rogers Centre?

I think the 500 level seats are $11 to $15 depending on the game.

droopy

Wait until the 2nd inning or so and scalpers start unload 500 level tickets for about $5.

But Yankees and Soxs games are more.

snack

droopy said:
Wait until the 2nd inning or so and scalpers start unload 500 level tickets for about $5.

But Yankees and Soxs games are more.
Where are the scalpers usually located? I'm definitely interested.

Draff

Apparently Canada's Wonderland is getting a new "giga coaster"

Taken from UrbanToronto
A Giga Coaster is a complete-circuit roller coaster with a height or drop greater than 300 feet. The term was coined by a Cedar Point and Intamin AG partnership after the construction of Millennium Force. There are three Giga coasters worldwide: Millennium Force at Cedar Point, Steel Dragon 2000 at Nagashima Spa Land in Japan, and Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion. Millennium Force and Intimidator 305 were built by Intamin AG while Steel Dragon 2000 was built by Chance-Morgan.

Rumour is the drop will be in the 330-340feet range. This is bananas considering all the years of the lame new rides Wonderland used to install but that was Paramount. Cedar Fair taking ownership of Canada's Wonderland is the best thing that could have happened since we got Behemoth not too long ago, Wind Seeker, etc.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...ada-s-first-GIGA-Coaster-and-4th-in-the-World

Glad to see continued investment into the park. As much as I love Behemoth, it only makes me want something better.

It's been so awesome ever since Cedar Fair bought Wonderland from Paramount. Cedar Fair is putting in two state of the art rides within 4 years of each other... that is more than the previous 10 years of investment.

I'm super hyped for the official unveiling of the new coaster! (only 10 days to go!!)

http://www.canadaswonderland.com/2012/

Zzoram

snack said:
Where are the scalpers usually located? I'm definitely interested.

In front of the stadium usually, they're hard to miss, they bother everyone who walks by them. Just make sure they look like real tickets and not something printed at home.

I personally just buy the cheapest tickets officially (~$11), you hardly save anything buying from scalpers and there is the odd chance you get scammed.

Willectro

Banned
DoctorWho said:

You can do whatever you want with your bike while on private property. However, when you ride your bike on public roads you have to follow the (stupid) laws that are in place.

I worked at Wonderland under Paramount, they treated employees better back then

When Cedar took over they brought in all these really strange philosophies and stuff that were clearly not in tune with Toronto area culture :p

The year they took over was going to be my last season regardless but a lot of my friends just couldn't stand the new management the following season

Ah well

I'm super excited for the new coaster :D

Edit - The rumor was back when Cedar took over that they wanted to build a giant coaster visible from the 400 that would also eat up some of the employee parking area and possibly re-do the parking lot to a parking deck structure.........the current rumors jive with that lol

BigJonsson said:

When Cedar took over they brought in all these really strange philosophies and stuff that were clearly not in tune with Toronto area culture :p

haha I'm curious about this.. what did they do?

I'm picturing them making you wear Uncle Sam hats and praying for Jesus to give the park a good day.

Brinbe

BigJonsson said:

The year they took over was going to be my last season regardless but a lot of my friends just couldn't stand the new management the following season

Ah well

I'm super excited for the new coaster :D

Edit - The rumor was back when Cedar took over that they wanted to build a giant coaster visible from the 400 that would also eat up some of the employee parking area and possibly re-do the parking lot to a parking deck structure.........the current rumors jive with that lol
Yeah, I've read/heard about their shitty employee treatment at other parks too, like Ceder Point/Dorney Park, not cool at all.

added_time said:
haha I'm curious about this.. what did they do?

I'm picturing them making you wear Uncle Sam hats and praying for Jesus to give the park a good day.

I was told that they make employees shout the company message statement before they start working

lol

They put in stricter dress code/grooming policies and actually enforced them

BigJonsson said:
I was told that they make employees shout the company message statement before they start working

My wife is originally from the States and she just told me this is very common at a lot of jobs there... sounds freaky to me...

ALL HAIL SEARS! WE WORK FOR THE GOOD OF EVERYONE!

planar1280 said:
damn it I miss Toronto. what have I missed since 2006?

The city is exploding in every way. The population is going up very quickly and noticeably with construction everywhere. There are people everywhere and a lot more happening around town. New restaurants and businesses are opening all around. It's a very exciting time to be living here in my opinion.

On the negative side, we also elected a fat fuck that hates our city as mayor.

So I guess you take the good with the bad.

Roto13

added_time said:
My wife is originally from the States and she just told me this is very common at a lot of jobs there... sounds freaky to me...

Yeah. I know they do it at Wal-Mart, even in Canada.

Something bigger than Behemoth? Awesome! Although, certain friends of mine are too scared to even go on Behemoth...

BigJonsson said:
That's better than the lame rumour that they bought land out near Woodstock and were going to move the whole park out there. I've talked to people who still say it's true.

BigJonsson said:

lol

They put in stricter dress code/grooming policies and actually enforced them
Honestly, there's worse things than having to chant a company slogan in the morning. Also, grooming and dress code are kinda important for touristy things. If you're a teenage slob and have a problem with it, tough.

added_time said:
The city is exploding in every way. The population is going up very quickly and noticeably with construction everywhere. There are people everywhere and a lot more happening around town. New restaurants and businesses are opening all around. It's a very exciting time to be living here in my opinion.

On the negative side, we also elected a fat fuck that hates our city as mayor.

So I guess you take the good with the bad.

has it penetrated north beyond richmond Hill/Vaughan which seemed to forever remain the top most boring points of Toronto burbs?

planar1280 said:
has it penetrated north beyond richmond Hill/Vaughan which seemed to forever remain the top most boring points of Toronto burbs?

Vaughan is still horrible. I think it can't be helped.

Markham is pretty interesting though.. the Chinese immigrants (and city planners) have plans to intensify certain intersections to improve walkability and such. For a suburb, they seem to have the most advanced plans at the moment. Hopefully it will work out nicely for them.

Rinoa

added_time said:

When I was in Chicago picking out a harp, we ducked into the Cheesecake factory a tad early for lunch (like 11:55) and there was a huge pre-workday cheerleading session going on. It sounded like Sparta. Suffice to say it weirded us out.

added_time said:

This post is straight outta the 90s.

I'm getting incredibly bored with Toronto and this whole Rob Ford fiasco is not helping matters.

The Interrobanger said:
This post is straight outta the 90s.

I'm getting incredibly bored with Toronto and this whole Rob Ford fiasco is not helping matters.

The 90s was when no new construction was going on and the city was in a horrible recession. So your comparison makes no sense to me.
Maybe if you picked any other decade it would have worked?

I drove by Wonderland earlier today

If you look at Behemoth, thats 235 feet
Windseeker which is significantly higher is 301 feet

The Gigacoaster will be at least 300 feet..........god damn........

I'm gonna freak out like when I saw Kingda Ka in New Jersey (Strata Coaster, 400+ feet high, god damn)

Top Bottom