• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Zzoram

Firestorm said:
Yes, I noticed that went up too when my return trips to Waterloo started costing more than $15. Trip there is only about $13ish. After finding out the time doesn't really matter as long as it's the same day I've started just purchasing them as round trip even if I don't know when I'll be returning -.-

Ya time doesn't matter. If you know what day you'll be returning, buy a round trip to save a bit of money. Round trip tickets in general save like $1-2 over buying two one-ways. If you began your trip in Waterloo, then buying the round trip there saves you another $2.50 by not having to pay the Toronto terminal fee.

Part of me wants to go to FanExpo, I haven't been in 10 years, but the other part of me has no desire to stand in line for 3 hours and pay $30 to get in.

Quick

Banned
lunarworks said:
Part of me wants to go to FanExpo, I haven't been in 10 years, but the other part of me has no desire to stand in line for 3 hours and pay $30 to get in.

I lined up last year. That was not fun at all, but I did meet a couple of cool people, so that made the wait a little easier.

That said, you could order the ticket and pick it up in advance.

soultron

Banned
lunarworks said:
Haha. You said the same thing last year!

I just pay the 70 or whatever to get the full weekend pass. Pick it up early and the rest of the process is relatively painless.

soultron

Banned
Takao said:
FanExpo last year was so bad, they're not in the same building in the MTCC again this year, right?
The fire marshals shutting down the escalators sucked, but I thought it was decent. It was only my second year going though.

I believe they have an entire additional hall/wing of the MTCC this year.

Heh, I remember the chaos at the bus terminal when I went to school in Waterloo and would have to ask people in line to make sure I was at the right bus =/ And then have to pray that they had enough room for everyone lol

Takao

Banned
soultron said:
The fire marshals shutting down the escalators sucked, but I thought it was decent. It was only my second year going though.

I believe they have an entire additional hall/wing of the MTCC this year.

Dealer room/area was so packed when I went. Like I was shoulder to shoulder with people. Which is partially because when you'd enter the con you'd go right into the dealer room. I don't remember it being half as close to people the year before, haha.

Question: In previous years, Ive only gone to FanExpo on the Saturday. This year I have the whole weekend pass, and I was wondering if the celebrity guests, and comic artists will be present on the Sunday too?

soultron

Banned
Takao said:
Dealer room/area was so packed when I went. Like I was shoulder to shoulder with people. Which is partially because when you'd enter the con you'd go right into the dealer room. I don't remember it being half as close to people the year before, haha.
Yeah, it's definitely grown its attendance faster than they could expand their capacity.

The dealer zone was crowded, but I found that was mostly due to cosplayers stopping in aisles to take photos or large groups just stopping wherever they wanted.

Quick

Banned
Takao said:

Last year was absolute madness. I kept getting stuck because people keep stopping and taking pictures with cosplayers, and the Space booth was doing a raffle and everyone wanted a ticket for that. And most inconveniently, getting back inside if you step out. Had to wait in a crowd before being let inside after an hour. I really hope they expand to more halls/wings, and handle in/out privileges better.

And speaking of that Space booth raffle, they had interviews going with stars while it was going on. They shouted out the first winner, then the producer (I'm guessing) told us to be quiet, so the rest of the raffle had everyone whispering and flashing up signs with ticket numbers instead. They had the main guy from Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, Anna Silk, and Mohinder from Heroes doing interviews while it was going on. There was this family who hoarded raffle tickets, who pretty much won a chunk of the giveaways to the point where they had to exchange a prize because they had already won it.

And I missed out on an autograph with Summer Glau, Felicia Day, and STAN FUCKING LEE (was he actually on Saturday?). I'd have paid a fortune, but still. I couldn't even see them because of the huge line-up. :(

Quick said:
And I missed out on an autograph with Summer Glau, Felicia Day, and STAN FUCKING LEE (was he actually on Saturday?). I'd have paid a fortune, but still. I couldn't even see them because of the huge line-up. :(
Don't know if Stan Lee was signing autographs on saturday but me and my friend did go to his panel that day.

Alright, FanExpo doesn't sound like a good time at all.

I wanted to reconnect with my nerd roots, and possibly socialize a bit, but I don't feel like being shoulder to shoulder with 50,000 sweaty dorks. x_x

In a bit of provincial political news...

http://www.thestar.com/business/art...-entrench-1-800-renewable-power-projects?bn=1

Ontario’s Liberal government has entrenched the legal rights of 1,800 proposed renewable energy contracts – making it impossible for a new government to cancel them.

The Liberals have changed the terms of contracts under its feed-in tariff program or FIT.

Under the old system, the Ontario Power Authority, which signs the contracts with power developers, could unilaterally terminate agreements at a relatively late stage of the approval process.

But a new directive from energy minister Brad Duguid will entrench the contracts at a much earlier stage in the pipeline.

That will protect 1,800 contracts now in the pipeline from cancellation.

Collectively, the projects represent 3,500 megawatts of generating capacity, or close to 10 per cent of the province’s current total capacity.

The issue is a crucial one, since Conservative leader Tim Hudak has vowed to cancel the FIT program if the Conservatives win the provincial election on Oct. 6.

Hudak has said the high prices paid under the FIT program are “unsustainable.”

While the Conservatives would not tear up existing contracts, projects that were only part way through the approval process were vulnerable to cancellation.

Duguid said the changes will provide assurance for renewable power developers, and their suppliers, that their projects are likely to proceed.

“There’s no question Tim Hudak’s irresponsible plan to dismantle our programs and destroy our clean energy economy is something that’s creating a great deal of instability in our economy right now,” Duguid said.

Good to see them try to lessen the damage any potential future government might make. Makes me wonder why (or even if it was possible) David Miller didn't do the same for the Transit City contracts.

lunarworks said:

I wanted to reconnect with my nerd roots, and possibly socialize a bit, but I don't feel like being shoulder to shoulder with 50,000 sweaty dorks. x_x

The extra day might help a bit. Also, I believe they have an extra hall rented out this year which should help with the crowds. I like it last year but I might only go for a day this year. It's just too expensive.

Quick said:
Last year was absolute madness. I kept getting stuck because people keep stopping and taking pictures with cosplayers, and the Space booth was doing a raffle and everyone wanted a ticket for that. And most inconveniently, getting back inside if you step out. Had to wait in a crowd before being let inside after an hour. I really hope they expand to more halls/wings, and handle in/out privileges better.

And speaking of that Space booth raffle, they had interviews going with stars while it was going on. They shouted out the first winner, then the producer (I'm guessing) told us to be quiet, so the rest of the raffle had everyone whispering and flashing up signs with ticket numbers instead. They had the main guy from Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, Anna Silk, and Mohinder from Heroes doing interviews while it was going on. There was this family who hoarded raffle tickets, who pretty much won a chunk of the giveaways to the point where they had to exchange a prize because they had already won it.

LOL. I watched Felicia Day pick up her own luggage from under her desk and walk out of FanExpo like nobody knew he she was at the end of thd ay. It was kind of surprising and hilarious. Summer Glau is a real trooper. She stayed quite late signing people's shit. If you wait till the end of the day you might get lucky with much shorter lines.

BigJonsson said:
So there was a shooting after the parade ended?

SMH

Ford is gonna cut their funding now lol

I would have been shocked if there wasn't.

It's tradition.

Rinoa

Zombie James said:
Makes me wonder why (or even if it was possible) David Miller didn't do the same for the Transit City contracts.

If it was possible, maybe Miller didn't expect the next mayor to eat away the plans for something our city desperately needed.

@Fanexpo
Whenever I walk by the area with lineups for autographs I always feel sorry for the peeps with no line.... then a friend will tell me something to the tune of "their autographs are probably $50 a pop".

soultron

Banned
lunarworks said:

Boooooooooooo!

I want to organize a GAF meet up afterwards to grab beers and talk nerdy shit. Maybe at an Elephant & Castle or somewhere similar. But if everyone's going to be whiny about it, there might not be a point.

soultron

Banned
Roto13 said:
The idea of buying autographs seems so absurd to me.
Yeah, this. I don't really get it.

I go for cheap trade paperback deals. The artbook selections are nice too, although the rares are typically really overpriced. Some of the import video game stalls have somewhat decent prices too.

The panels are the best part, IMO. You just have to pick and choose which ones you want, and be prepared to line up about an hour early. Making friends in line is pretty easy though -- you're all nerds so there's lots to talk about.

Zzoram

Hudak's plan of "let communities decide if they want power generation to be built near them" is ridiculous. With NIMBY in full effect, we would never be able to build more power generation in Ontario ever again under Hudak's plan.

Firestorm

soultron said:
Boooooooooooo!

I want to organize a GAF meet up afterwards to grab beers and talk nerdy shit. Maybe at an Elephant & Castle or somewhere similar. But if everyone's going to be whiny about it, there might not be a point.
NO! Do this!

That is my last weekend in Ontario and I already committed to going for my friend since he needed hotels. You will do this and I will come. I'd organize but I'm already organizing too much other crap and my hands are full x.x

Helmholtz said:
Anyone know of any good bike routes? Preferably something scenic.
The bike trip down the Don Valley is quit nice.

You can start at Edwards Gardens (Lawrence and Leslie) and work your way down from there.

Spl1nter

ConvenientBox said:
The Humber trail is pretty ace at times

All the way from the 401 and Weston Road to Beaches with minimal time on roads. Great path. Multiple entrance and exit points along the way of course.

soultron

Banned
Firestorm said:
NO! Do this!

That is my last weekend in Ontario and I already committed to going for my friend since he needed hotels. You will do this and I will come. I'd organize but I'm already organizing too much other crap and my hands are full x.x
Good!

I will lead the charge then. I'll make a general OP for FanExpo and throw some meet-up details in there too.

StevieP

Banned
Zzoram said:
Hudak's plan of "let communities decide if they want power generation to be built near them" is ridiculous. With NIMBY in full effect, we would never be able to build more power generation in Ontario ever again under Hudak's plan.

Communities think big fans give them cancer *facepalm*

Helmholtz said:
Anyone know of any good bike routes? Preferably something scenic.

You can't fail with the lakeshore route. Rode my bike from High Park to Rogers Centre on Sunday morning and it's a great route. Of course my bike broke down halfway so I had to walk it the rest.

Gaf meetup at FanExpo? I might go just for that. What day are you planning?

Stet

Banned
Spl1nter said:
The issue with wind turbines is noise pollution, ice build up and the dead birds.
Not to mention the risk of the land they're built on just taking off and flying away!!

StevieP

Banned
Spl1nter said:
The issue with wind turbines is noise pollution, ice build up and the dead birds.

The average "dead bird" tally for wind turbines is 3 per year. And noise pollution? Not really... I mean they're not very loud.

Firestorm

Anyone know when Fan Expo schedule is usually released? I'm not sure if I want to purchase both a Saturday and Sunday ticket or not. So pricey -.-

cbox

Spl1nter said:

I'd want a huge wind farm right next to my house but I live in the burbs so no. It's usually small town mentality that comes up with this BS. I have a cousin who works for a major wind farm and she has told me some hilarious stories about what some groups of people come up with.

StevieP

Banned
ConvenientBox said:
I'd want a huge wind farm right next to my house but I live in the burbs so no. It's usually small town mentality that comes up with this BS. I have a cousin who works for a major wind farm and she has told me some hilarious stories about what some groups of people come up with.

My brother is a project engineer for a firm that builds wind/solar farms, and he even tells me about how small town communities think SOLAR produces noise pollution/cancer/etc. Wonder if he'll have a job after Hudak gets elected. Probably not lol.

cbox

StevieP said:
My brother is a project engineer for a firm that builds wind/solar farms, and he even tells me about how small town communities think SOLAR produces noise pollution/cancer/etc. Wonder if he'll have a job after Hudak gets elected. Probably not lol.

It's sad really, my mind is full of fuck just thinking about how ludicrous it is.

StevieP

Banned
ConvenientBox said:
It's sad really, my mind is full of fuck just thinking about how ludicrous it is.

It really boggles my mind as well. I mean the firm seriously gets angry protesters coming out against solar when they do their town hall meetings. Wind at least has an object that is debatable (ooh look, a giant fan) but SOLAR? How can communities be opposed to a solar array? He said it produces something like 40db of noise. My CPU fan produces more than that!

Zzoram

StevieP said:
It really boggles my mind as well. I mean the firm seriously gets angry protesters coming out against solar when they do their town hall meetings. Wind at least has an object that is debatable (ooh look, a giant fan) but SOLAR? How can communities be opposed to a solar array? He said it produces something like 40db of noise. My CPU fan produces more than that!

Not only that, but the noise goes down expoentially with distance from the noise source. You can't even hear them at the distance they typically put them away from small towns.

People are just ridiculous, we need power, if they don't want solar panels and wind turbines, we'll be building a coal monster smoke stack there instead, which is guaranteed to be way worse for them.

cbox

Zzoram said:
How does one get to those trails from downtown?

You can get to the humber from just near high park, I believe it connects just near lakeshore. I haven't taken it all the way but I plan on it once the weather cools down. Remember to always bring a spare tube whenever you go for a long ride, soo handy.

Top Bottom