• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

BigJonsson said:
I drove by Wonderland earlier today

If you look at Behemoth, thats 235 feet
Windseeker which is significantly higher is 301 feet

The Gigacoaster will be at least 300 feet..........god damn........

I'm gonna freak out like when I saw Kingda Ka in New Jersey (Strata Coaster, 400+ feet high, god damn)

werent they moving wonderland?

added_time said:
Vaughan is still horrible. I think it can't be helped.

Markham is pretty interesting though.. the Chinese immigrants (and city planners) have plans to intensify certain intersections to improve walkability and such. For a suburb, they seem to have the most advanced plans at the moment. Hopefully it will work out nicely for them.
If that's your definition of "advance", then I want no part of it. Some of Markham's intersections are busy beyond drivable (anywhere within the Kennedy corridor and Hwy 7), and unless there's no avoiding it, I'd stay far away.

AlphaTwo00 said:
If that's your definition of "advance", then I want no part of it. Some of Markham's intersections are busy beyond drivable (anywhere within the Kennedy corridor and Hwy 7), and unless there's no avoiding it, I'd stay far away.

Yes, that is my definition of advance. Markham has a plan in place to accommodate an increasing population without sacrificing more nature whereas Vaughan is ignoring their orders from the government to stop selling off farmland in the Ontario greenbelt to developers. I think saving our trees and greenbelt are much more important than everyone feeling like they deserve a huge precast home.

whitehawk

Banned
typo said:
Quick local poll: MM-DD-YYYY or DD-MM-YYYY? As a kid in TO, I was taught MM-DD-YYYY, but according to "Canadian format", it's DD-MM-YYYY. WTF?
I like to write the actual month.

Today is August 8th 2011.

grumble

Hey,

I have a question for Toronto-GAF: my girlfirend's birthday is this week and I'd like to take her someplace special for dinner, but also a bit interesting. Somewhere in the downtown core. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've already thought of Canoe, Noir, Benihana, etc. Preferably not Asian food, as we've been going to a lot of it already. I'd be grateful for any ideas.

ZZMitch

grumble said:
Hey,

I have a question for Toronto-GAF: my girlfirend's birthday is this week and I'd like to take her someplace special for dinner, but also a bit interesting. Somewhere in the downtown core. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've already thought of Canoe, Noir, Benihana, etc. Preferably not Asian food, as we've been going to a lot of it already. I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Beni-

oh. When i visited Toronto a few weeks ago I went there, loved it. Will try to go again when I come back for school!

krae_man

typo said:
Quick local poll: MM-DD-YYYY or DD-MM-YYYY? As a kid in TO, I was taught MM-DD-YYYY, but according to "Canadian format", it's DD-MM-YYYY. WTF?

I don't know, The drop down boxes decide for me!

grumble said:
Hey,

I love, love an Indian restaurant called Trimurti on Queen near the Much building.

http://www.trimurti.ca/home.html

Very well done north Indian cuisine. Make sure you try the Paneer Pakoras, yummy Chicken Zaphrani Kebab from the tandoor oven, vegetable Makhni, and the Bhatura naan. Ive never had a bad dish there. Service is great too. Its affordable as well. Dinner for two, drinks included no more than $40.

grumble said:
Hey,

Panorama is nice. http://www.eatertainment.com/restaurants/panorama/

Rinoa

grumble said:
Hey,

Have you taken her to Auberge yet?

Food's consistently awesome for the past 10 years of going
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150137084707652.321840.508032651&l=32d334af44&type=1

Stet

Banned
grumble said:
Hey,

Don't go to Noir, it's gimmicky and the food is mediocre.

What kind of dinner are you looking for? Cozy, romantic and quiet, or more of a raucous atmosphere?

Colborne Lane is a bit on the loud side, but it's definitely the most "different" restaurant in Toronto, though that's not saying much. Its sister restaurant, Origin, has the same noise level and is less experimental, but the quality of the experience is still amazing.

Canoe is good and more quiet, but I've always found the food to be too "Canadiana" and it gets stale. North 44 is along the same lines, but with more of a focus on aged meat.

Scaramouche is a romantic setting, and though the food is incredible, it really does feel a bit dated.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
grumble said:
Hey,

I recommend Cava.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/cava-restaurant-toronto

I took my gf out for our anniversary there last month. They specialize in Tapas and it's an excellent place to try out something new since you are given a ton of smaller portioned options. The other plus is that it's next to a chocolatier also run by Cava that has some of the best chocolates and ice creams in town. The only downsides are that it's somewhat expensive per dish considering how small they are. Expect to pay around 100 for two people. It's also a bit cramped for couples seating.

I recommend the Foie and Sardines app and the tripe and chickpeas.

Oh the lemon custard dessert is the best dessert I've ever had.

They also had the option of letting them serve you a handpicked selection of items, but you may not like everything you get (I did not like the blood sausage at all).

Rinoa

So I just went to the CP24 home page and there is a headline that says

"Man arrested after threatening Rob Ford"

and this is the picture above it

416_cp24_rob_ford_110727_298224.jpg

Epic trolling.

Roto13

Rinoa said:
This is hilarious and sad.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...sm-they-re-off-the-facebook-page?bn=1#article
Don Cherry went after “pinkos” at Mayor Rob Ford’s inauguration. Now Mammoliti, the conservative and controversy-courting Ford lieutenant, is going after people he sees as reds. To get his approval to join the group he started Monday — “Save the City..Support the Ford Administration” — you must not emit the sour odour of “communism,” he said Tuesday.
1Vlkj.jpg

Daft_Cat

Any filmmakers in T.O?

I'm making a short film..but I'm not commercially based. Just me and my friends. The project is mainly for use in portfolios and more immediately for school (UOFT). I've been told by a couple of different people with experience not to bother getting a permit because of my context. Equipment will be minimal (DSLR..shoulder rig)..and we only actually need a few shots (3 or 4).

Thing is, I'm not used to actually shooting stuff in the city. Somehow I feel like it's unlikely someone won't get pissed that they're in the shot or something (especially if I film in a public place..I was thinking of getting something on the City Hall garden rooftop). Anyone with more experience than me have any advice? Should I go the permit route? Should I stick to places that are relatively empty?

Any GAF-tips are appreciated.

cbox

Some places (like UofT) are watched like a hawk, and there's a permit officer who runs up to you as soon as you whip out any sort of camera gear. I don't think you have to worry otherwise, try and find an empty space and if you are shooting with props, let shops and neighbours around you know so thy don't go calling the cops, for example.

Secret_Riddle said:
Any filmmakers in T.O?

I'm making a short film..but I'm not commercially based. Just me and my friends. The project is mainly for use in portfolios and more immediately for school (UOFT). I've been told by a couple of different people with experience not to bother getting a permit because of my context. Equipment will be minimal (DSLR..shoulder rig)..and we only actually need a few shots (3 or 4).

Thing is, I'm not used to actually shooting stuff in the city. Somehow I feel like it's unlikely someone won't get pissed that they're in the shot or something (especially if I film in a public place..I was thinking of getting something on the City Hall garden rooftop). Anyone with more experience than me have any advice? Should I go the permit route? Should I stick to places that are relatively empty?

Any GAF-tips are appreciated.

Not a filmmaker, although I'm planning on making something soon.

I'd imagine that you would have no problems at City Hall on a normal day. Just setup your rig and most of the people walking by are going to assume that you belong there. Now security might be another story. How long do you plan to stay at any one location?

Daft_Cat

DoctorWho said:
Not a filmmaker, although I'm planning on making something soon.

I'd imagine that you would have no problems at City Hall on a normal day. Just setup your rig and most of the people walking by are going to assume that you belong there. Now security might be another story. How long do you plan to stay at any one location?

With any luck hopefully around half an hour or less. Just need a few shots really and hopefully I can plan them out to maximize efficiency. I'll need to shoot a couple things in an alley as well..but since it's an alley I don't have any similar concerns (besides picking the..erm..right alley =P)

Thanks for the help though. Sounds like I shouldn't have much to worry about so long as I pick my spots wisely and don't go whipping out too much gear. Thankfully, that's been my plan all along.

Magnus

I'm sure most of you fine people in this thread go to FanExpo every year.

Flyer in the mail confirms the presence of a Gamestop booth there this year, where, among other things, Uncharted 3, Gears 3 and the Vita (!) will be playable!

Median

Magnus said:

Flyer in the mail confirms the presence of a Gamestop booth there this year, where, among other things, Uncharted 3, Gears 3 and the Vita (!) will be playable!

Sweet! Glad I decided to go this year.

Magnus said:

Oh fuck. Will be there for sure now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Draff said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/08/11/toronto-olympics.html

Looks like our pseudo mayor has spoken. No 2020 olympics bid for Toronto. It's a shame, as I think it would have been a great opportunity to finally fix the waterfront, build a downtown relief line and expedite a line to the airport.

Personally, I think Toronto had a great chance to win. Ford could have gotten his NFL stadium too.

I don't think the Olympics would be good for Toronto though. Granted, we DO need to fix the waterfront, we DO need a subway station or a faster way to get to the airport, and we DO need to fix the nightmare that is downtown, but I just don't think hosting the Olympics, which cause massive debts for the cities that host them, would be the best answer.

I haven't followed the NFL to Toronto news much, but is there a problem with Rogers Centre???

Blackface

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
I don't think the Olympics would be good for Toronto though. Granted, we DO need to fix the waterfront, we DO need a subway station or a faster way to get to the airport, and we DO need to fix the nightmare that is downtown, but I just don't think hosting the Olympics, which cause massive debts for the cities that host them, would be the best answer.

I haven't followed the NFL to Toronto news much, but is there a problem with Rogers Centre???

Rogers center is a multi-purpose joke from the 70's. It also does not have the proper capacity.

People like to use the excuse that not many people show up to the bills games as why Toronto shouldn't have a team. The reason the NFL is ignoring that is because of ratings. People love the NFL in Toronto. Bars are full on sundays, every sunday.

The reason nobody goes to see the Bills is because they suck, and many people are fans of teams from different cities, especially the Lions. The tickets are also priced higher then a Patriots or Packers game.

Ford is an idiot. He doesn't know the proper way to get a stadium build. He isn't a good business man. He ran a fucking sticker company. Good businessmen know you must invest money into your company for it to be profitable in the long run. You can't just cut everything and let the business stagnate. That is what Ford is doing with Toronto. He is making the city stagnate. Which is the same thing that happened to Detroit and Buffalo before all the businesses left.

Draff

Kuro Madoushi said:

I realize the financial implications are high. However, if the city is ever going to get the funding necessary from the province and federal government, it will take the Olympics to do it.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I highly doubt we'll get the fixes we need without hosting the Olympics.

Firestorm

Draff said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/08/11/toronto-olympics.html

Looks like our pseudo mayor has spoken. No 2020 olympics bid for Toronto. It's a shame, as I think it would have been a great opportunity to finally fix the waterfront, build a downtown relief line and expedite a line to the airport.

Personally, I think Toronto had a great chance to win. Ford could have gotten his NFL stadium too.
Things like killing Transit City probably wouldn't have been great for the Olympics. Inviting the world to a Ford city ain't exactly going to do wonders for the city - or country's - image at all.

Dr.Acula

Banned
grumble said:
Hey,

If it's not too late, I really liked C5.

It's right inside the ROM, and the restaurant is a huge space, with a high ceiling and all sorts of crazy angles, and big windows overlooking a rooftop garden. Not sure what it's like getting a reservation. If you had more of a lead (next year?), I'd book a table at Ici. One of the best meals ever.

Brinbe

Blackface said:
Rogers center is a multi-purpose joke from the 70's. It also does not have the proper capacity.

People like to use the excuse that not many people show up to the bills games as why Toronto shouldn't have a team. The reason the NFL is ignoring that is because of ratings. People love the NFL in Toronto. Bars are full on sundays, every sunday.

The reason nobody goes to see the Bills is because they suck, and many people are fans of teams from different cities, especially the Lions. The tickets are also priced higher then a Patriots or Packers game.

Ford is an idiot. He doesn't know the proper way to get a stadium build. He isn't a good business man. He ran a fucking sticker company. Good businessmen know you must invest money into your company for it to be profitable in the long run. You can't just cut everything and let the business stagnate. That is what Ford is doing with Toronto. He is making the city stagnate. Which is the same thing that happened to Detroit and Buffalo before all the businesses left.
Don't gotta tell us twice, most of us certainly didn't vote for that jackass.

whitehawk

Banned
So I got to ride the new subway train, and...

- It feels roomier
- It's much quieter inside
- Felt like a smoother ride too
- The map is lit up and displayed which stations you've past, and your next stop is flashing
- I love the open feeling, I can see down from one end to the very end of the subway car

Can't wait until they are the norm.

edit: Also, I found this great site for alcohol GAF: http://www.beerhunter.ca/

Kunohara

whitehawk said:
So I got to ride the new subway train, and...

- It feels roomier
- It's much quieter inside
- Felt like a smoother ride too
- The map is lit up and displayed which stations you've past, and your next stop is flashing
- I love the open feeling, I can see down from one end to the very end of the subway car

Can't wait until they are the norm.

edit: Also, I found this great site for alcohol GAF: http://www.beerhunter.ca/

The map lighting up sounds awesome.

Azih

Which is the same thing that happened to Detroit and Buffalo before all the businesses left.
And what was happening to Toronto during the Lastman years as well. Honestly if this city can survive Lastman I think it can survive Ford as well.

On the other topic I really really want to ride on those new subways trains. I'm on a daily commute so you'd think I would have gotten lucky at some point.

Top Bottom