• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Roto13

I've always wanted to visit Newfoundland. Looks beautiful... at least for a visit!

It's pretty nice to visit (which I will be doing soon), especially to get away from the humidity in Toronto in the summer because Newfoundland has a very nice climate. Not a great place to live if you like going places and doing things.

I'll be there during Pride, which I wasn't planning, but is a happy coincidence because it totally sucks living in the village during Pride.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
On the Ford front, he blames residents for the plastic bag ban. It's on YOU people. Silent majority, right?

I rarely get all up in arms about politics and politicians but Rob Ford, man, he makes me so angry. I want to slap that guy. We need to come down to protest so that you can get shit done? The people voted for YOU Rob, don't tell them they need to come down to city hall and do your job for you.

Even though I'm one of those people who never remembers to bring bags to the store I support the ban, we need to move away from using so much plastic.

Willectro

Banned
My dentist must be super cool... he knows I don't have insurance so he is always trying to find ways to save me money. Last time I was there he didn't even charge me for the x-rays!

I have had to tell my Dentist and her staff on about 7 or 8 occasions that I don't have insurance or a lot of money to throw around and to keep the costs down if possible. They charged me for a "consultation" so that the dentist could decide on the treatment. It's pretty obvious that I need a filling. Next they say that they can't do the filling the same day as the appointment. I said that's fine so the receptionist books me in later in the week but said the appointment will be with another Dentist. I get a call 30 minutes later from the receptionist "just letting me know" that there will another consultation fee because its a different Dentist. I said No, give me an appointment with the original Dentist. Turns out that appointment is now sooner than the original appointment. WTF? And this is a Dental Office that came recommended from a few people I know in my area. As if the cost isn't astronomical to start with, I have to put up with all this other shit, and take time off work. I have had 3 different dentists before, and they have all been poor experiences overall. </rant>

I have had to tell my Dentist and her staff on about 7 or 8 occasions that I don't have insurance or a lot of money to throw around and to keep the costs down if possible. They charged me for a "consultation" so that the dentist could decide on the treatment. It's pretty obvious that I need a filling. Next they say that they can't do the filling the same day as the appointment. I said that's fine so the receptionist books me in later in the week but said the appointment will be with another Dentist. I get a call 30 minutes later from the receptionist "just letting me know" that there will another consultation fee because its a different Dentist. I said No, give me an appointment with the original Dentist. Turns out that appointment is now sooner than the original appointment. WTF? And this is a Dental Office that came recommended from a few people I know in my area. As if the cost isn't astronomical to start with, I have to put up with all this other shit, and take time off work. I have had 3 different dentists before, and they have all been poor experiences overall. </rant>

Could be worse. My current dentist stopped mid-cleaning, said "We're out of time", charged me $100 and tried to get me to come back for a second visit to finish off the work from the first visit. Never going back to them again.

Hieberrr

Jeebus... Home phone lines are outrageously expensive now. I cancelled Rogers 5-6 months back to go to Comwave. Comwave had to be the shittiest and most shoddy home phone experience that I have ever had (granted it's VoIP). Dropped calls, random disconnects that would cause my internet to go out, crappy call quality, etc...

Is there any home phone service that is $30 or less and has caller ID (non introductory/promo price)?

Dr.Acula

Banned
Jeebus... Home phone lines are outrageously expensive now. I cancelled Rogers 5-6 months back to go to Comwave. Comwave had to be the shittiest and most shoddy home phone experience that I have ever had (granted it's VoIP). Dropped calls, random disconnects that would cause my internet to go out, crappy call quality, etc...

Is there any home phone service that is $30 or less and has caller ID (non introductory/promo price)?

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-homephone.asp

Try teksavvy? The bast cost is 22, but features are 3.00 each. They sell them a la carte, so you don't need to get any of them, or if you just want id, or voicemail, you can just get those.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
On the Ford front, he blames residents for the plastic bag ban. It's on YOU people. Silent majority, right?
It's the residents' fault for not coming down and telling council what they want except when they do come down and tell them it's "the usual suspects" doing it. :p

I rarely get all up in arms about politics and politicians but Rob Ford, man, he makes me so angry. I want to slap that guy. We need to come down to protest so that you can get shit done? The people voted for YOU Rob, don't tell them they need to come down to city hall and do your job for you.
You have to stop taking him seriously. He's just a clown.

sJzA8.png

Dyno

That's awesome!

This vote is crazy because it's a major change to the city and council did it without any consultation or report request from city staff. Most of council seemed to do it for the LOL TROLL FORD tactics even though in the long run it's probably a good thing.

I heard there are five plastic bag factories that cover all of Ontario and beyond. Can you imagine owning one of those companies, opening the morning paper, and then screaming WHAT?!?!?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That's awesome!

This vote is crazy because it's a major change to the city and council did it without any consultation or report request from city staff. Most of council seemed to do it for the LOL TROLL FORD tactics even though in the long run it's probably a good thing.

I heard there are five plastic bag factories that cover all of Ontario and beyond. Can you imagine owning one of those companies, opening the morning paper, and then screaming WHAT?!?!?
You know who else is pissed about the fee gone/plastic bag ban? They just lost an estimated $5.4 million per year selling those plastic bags. Just do the math on that.

$5.4 million / $0.05 = goodbye 108 million plastic bags just in the city of Toronto.

I wonder when Peel/York/Durham region cities are going to follow.

Willectro

Banned
Could be worse. My current dentist stopped mid-cleaning, said "We're out of time", charged me $100 and tried to get me to come back for a second visit to finish off the work from the first visit. Never going back to them again.

Wow, that's crazy. I rarely suggest this, but the Dental Industry needs far more guidelines / laws imposed by the provincial/federal government. This shit is getting out of control. I don't know why this is acceptable behavior, because this wouldn't fly in any other industry.

ElNino

That's funny that you say now the home phone prices are high, seeing as my Bell bill would often be around or more than $100 a month when I was with them. I guess if you just started your phone line in the passed 5-10 years then maybe you wouldn't have dealt with Bell back in the day, but we have much better plans now than we did before.

I was on Primus VoIP for years and it was fantastic, but when I moved to my new home about 5 years ago my internet wasn't stable enough for it to work reliably so I switched to Rogers. My bill is $35/month for two features (caller ID and voicemail) and 500 minutes LD.

Rinoa

My parents house switched to comwave, shittiest experience ever confirmed here as well.

Internet hasn't been stable ever since and they can't even hear me whenever I call.

Even though I'm one of those people who never remembers to bring bags to the store I support the ban, we need to move away from using so much plastic.

I also don't have the luxury of grocery shopping when I want and with bags, I carry 50lbs of stuff around me on long TTC rides as it is and don't know what time I get home much less if I can get groceries (or if I have to for someone). But I do support the ban.

There are always paper bags, even though they suck for us non-car people!

Quick

Banned

I feel that troll, Ford. I feel that troll.

It's like he skimmed the details and darted for how much it would be, and automatically voted against it just for shits. I'd really like to hear the reasoning behind his vote. It's not even the fact that it's essentially free money, but the fact that it's for gang prevention to help out at-risk youth. And this is right after what had just happened at the Eaton Centre.

I feel that troll, Ford. I feel that troll.

It's like he skimmed the details and darted for how much it would be, and automatically voted against it just for shits. I'd really like to hear the reasoning behind his vote. It's not even the fact that it's essentially free money, but the fact that it's for gang prevention to help out at-risk youth. And this is right after what had just happened at the Eaton Centre.

He has stated he doesn't believe taxpayer money should be used for anything even if its not gonna cost anyone anything

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
At least Ford has set back the "small government/ pro free-market" movement in Toronto and Ontario back quite a bit.

I just ate tacos at Grand Electric for the first time last night. SO GOOD. That place was so hyped and actually lived up to it! Too bad I had to wait 2 hours to get in but I just hit a bar during the wait.

The pig tail taco and beef cheek taco were my favourites. So fucking great.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I just ate tacos at Grand Electric for the first time last night. SO GOOD. That place was so hyped and actually lived up to it! Too bad I had to wait 2 hours to get in but I just hit a bar during the wait.

Where dis?

Tried to go there a few weeks back and was told the wait would be 3hours!!! O_0

It's annoying these new restaurants don't take reservations.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Big Plastic is angry about the bag ban.

And a Doug Ford quote. lulz

Councillor Doug Ford said, “I don’t care if you have the Pope down there, Mel. I don’t care if you have the Pope down there. A lot of the councillors just run off the reservation. I’m not too sure what the hell they’re doing. They just come up and bang! Two or three votes, it’s gone.” Repeatedly cutting off the mayor’s attempts to interject, he added: “I can’t help it if the cheese slips off the cracker once in a while. You know what I mean? We try our best to accommodate people . . . come on, give me a better argument next time.”

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I found myself walking by Castro's Lounge last friday night... man that place seemed so atmospheric, especially the live music that was playing at the time, super duper jazzy stuff with a lady singing so loud you could hear it half way down the block, but it wasn't obnoxious - if anything it set an amazing mood.

Has anyone ever been? Thinking of making a trip

Boogie

So whatever happened to the rest of the shooting victims? Did anyone besides the gang member die?

As a general rule, if anyone else died from the shooting, you'd hear about it. I have to believe that no one else has died from it so far, given that...

So whatever happened to the rest of the shooting victims? Did anyone besides the gang member die?

It just ain't news unless someone dies! The news people are vultures just waiting to pick at the dead.
I was saying to my wife that the only difference between your child dying in a car crash and being shot at the Eaton Centre, is that the news would rub the latter in your face.

Toronto photo of the day:

7160056627_e92c9d6a17_b.jpg

Willectro

Banned
Anyone going to NXNE?

I'm hoping to see Obey the Brave, Thursday night at Lee's Palace. I'll also be volunteering throughout the week.

Divvy

How are people still stupid enough to leave their pets in their cars during the summer? Two cases this weekend, and one of them was from a purported animal rescuer. I also saw police crowded around a dog stuck in an SUV over the weekend at distillery. What a bunch of morons.

Roto13

How are people still stupid enough to leave their pets in their cars during the summer? Two cases this weekend, and one of them was from a purported animal rescuer. I also saw police crowded around a dog stuck in an SUV over the weekend at distillery. What a bunch of morons.

Should be legal to smash someone's windows if they leave a pet suffocating in a hot car.

Quick

Banned

I fucking hate it when I see a pet inside a car, especially in the middle of summer. It happens a lot here (suburbs...yep), and most of them don't even bother leaving the window slightly open.

In one case, my co-worker almost smashed this person's car window because the dog was absolutely panicked. The owner came up in time before my co-worker really did it.

Most stores have a spot to tie your pet's leash on, and in the case of my store, you can bring them inside. If those aren't even going to be options, then leave the dog at home.

I think it might be.

This is what I assumed, but it's a gray area according to this article:

Vella offers the example of a person coming across a child left in the back seat of the car. &#8220;Let&#8217;s say you can hear the child yelling, &#8216;I need help! I need help!&#8217; and the person feels if they don&#8217;t break the window right now, the child will die. So you smash it, but you&#8217;re acting in good faith. The question is, is that child really in that much distress, or should you just call the police?&#8221;

Vella says the same would apply to a dog left in the back of a car, and suggests that &#8220;the smartest thing to do is to just call the police, call 911, and let them handle it.&#8221;

&#8220;If you come across a dog in distress in the back of a car, and call 911, the police and fire will be there in one or two minutes,&#8221; he says.

The charge for smashing someone&#8217;s car window would fall under mischief, says Vella, which is a criminal offense, and can result in a fine or an arrest. &#8220;If charges are warranted, charges will be laid,&#8221; he says.

So, to answer the original question, the police have the discretion to lay charges or not, but yes, you could be charged with a crime if you smash a car window to save the life of the dog inside, so it&#8217;s really up to you if you think that&#8217;s worth the risk.

And I'm pretty sure it's also illegal to leave your pet in your car in the first place. If not, then there should be stricter rules against it.

Divvy

And I'm pretty sure it's also illegal to leave your pet in your car in the first place. If not, then there should be stricter rules against it.

It's only illegal when it's too hot. It doesn't make sense to make it illegal if you're just hopping out to pick something up from a store for a short while so long as it's not hot outside. People should just have the common sense to know when it's too hot or too long.

Quick

Banned
It's only illegal when it's too hot. It doesn't make sense to make it illegal if you're just hopping out to pick something up from a store for a short while so long as it's not hot outside. People should just have the common sense to know when it's too hot or too long.

Yeah, that's fair. I'm okay with that. By stricter rules, I guess I was going more for stricter guidelines: have a bowl of water ready, leave a window slightly open, don't leave them for more than 5 or 10 minutes, that kind of stuff. That's all common sense, but some people clearly just don't get it.

Top Bottom