• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, always spamming up this thread, keeping it on the top of the list.

I haven't posted that much.

OH WAIT

NagUV.png

There are plenty of city threads. We were 'the first' to maintain a community, and we're the most active with a ton of members. I mean, we were active enough to be moved to Community. :/

Toronto is weird in that it's a city that people are passionate about, whether they love it or hate it.

There are plenty of city threads. We were 'the first' to maintain a community, and we're the most active with a ton of members. I mean, we were active enough to be moved to Community. :/

I blame the GTA as whole, we consume this thread as our own, as well as the cityfolk consume the rest of the GTA.

The better part of Ontario considers the GTA to be "Toronto".

It's really only when you encounter natives to the city - or an immediate neighbour burb - that people know or care about the actual boundaries of Toronto.

Toronto has a horrible beer selection?

Explain

And did anyone else go to the NXNE Bad Religion show at Yonge and Dundas last night? It was really packed and fun but people need to cut out the constant idle chatter, damn annoying when you are trying to LISTEN to the music

Oh and if there was security/police around they didn't seem to notice or care about all the people drinking their own beer all over the square..........or the homeless guy with a 40 down Yonge Street lol

cbox

I have a love hate relationship with Toronto, being that I've been here my entire life :D

I need to up my post counts!

I have a love hate relationship with Toronto, being that I've been here my entire life :D

I've been here my whole life but I have travelled to almost every country and major city in the world because of my work. It made me love this city even more now that I've seen the other places so I don't have the grass is greener attitude that some people have. (I'm not saying you have this attitude though, just a lot of people I've talked to)

Toronto photo of the day:

7284044886_b9a2793cb4_b.jpg

Fugu

And did anyone else go to the NXNE Bad Religion show at Yonge and Dundas last night? It was really packed and fun but people need to cut out the constant idle chatter, damn annoying when you are trying to LISTEN to the music

Oh and if there was security/police around they didn't seem to notice or care about all the people drinking their own beer all over the square..........or the homeless guy with a 40 down Yonge Street lol
I was there. Great show, except there was some douchebag in front of me who was trying to hit on this chick and decided to block everyone's view while he was doing it.

Rinoa

A reminder of how gullible people are on facebook... remember the Union station flood photoshops? It's being shared around fbook as

"The collapse of a shark tank at The Scientific Center in Kuwait. Share this because it's probably the only time in your life you will see something like this."

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...65538136.36848.160995177274075&type=1&theater

Not pictured: the freaky homeless girl who wears a muzzle every day and stalks around Grange Park.

Love both the interior of that building and often walk through that park.

Ramblin

Banned
Toronto has a horrible beer selection?

Explain

I could natter on but what it really comes down to is that when I go visit where my wife is from, a city 25x smaller than the largest city in Canada, I can get a better selection of beer here:

2DXMK.jpg

than I can in all of the beerstores and LCBO's combined in the province.

Stet

Banned
A reminder of how gullible people are on facebook... remember the Union station flood photoshops? It's being shared around fbook as

"The collapse of a shark tank at The Scientific Center in Kuwait. Share this because it's probably the only time in your life you will see something like this."

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...65538136.36848.160995177274075&type=1&theater

Love both the interior of that building and often walk through that park.

Do you wear a black muzzle???

Where the hell is that??

Grange Park, John & Stephanie, behind the AGO.

I could natter on but what it really comes down to is that when I go visit where my wife is from, a city 25x smaller than the largest city in Canada, I can get a better selection of beer here:

2DXMK.jpg

than I can in all of the beerstores and LCBO's combined in the province.

What beers are you looking for?

What beers are you looking for?

He means American beers.

The Beer Store is a fucking joke since it is operated by 3 major brewers (that aren't even Canadian owned) who do everything in their power to only push their own products.

The LCBO has a much better selection for beer than the Beer Store does which is quite funny when you think about it. However, it is mostly Canadian craft beer which is getting better all the time but still not at the level of what they have in the US.
The only solution to improve our local beers and breweries and have better access to imports is to totally abolish the Beer Store monopoly.

I will say that there are a bunch of great bars in Toronto that have a great selection of Ontario and imported beers on tap and in bottles. Places like BarVolo, BeerBistro, BierMarkt, Smokeless Joe (not to be confused with the terrible Shoeless Joes chain) and so on and on.

Magnus

Hit a massive mental rut today with bad news on the job hunt. Don't want to dwell, but need to make changes in a serious way. I don't want to get too livejournal here, but I figure it'd be good to share with the resourceful GAF community, and where better than in here with my fellow Toronto GAFfers who may know about opportunities in the city and offer thoughts or things I should think about.

Been pursuing work in the TV industry here, PA-ing and whatnot, since that's the typical point of entry if one wants to do almost anything in television. Volunteered, interned, worked for cheap, and unfortunately, a lot of my hard work hasn't been recognized or rewarded with follow up work. It's been tough, but I've persisted.

A lotta bad news today kind of broke the camel's back, so to speak. Enough's enough; I need to begin making a living and kickstart my life, ideally by cultivating and using the talents I naturally have (writing, editing, speaking, communicating) instead of having my industry judge me on the jobs I wasn't trained to do (driving, moving, camera work, video editing, and so on).

Either I get trained to do all that and re-approach the industry from that angle, or I attempt to come at television and media, as I said before, by working on and marketing the skills I already have.

Been looking at some postgrad courses that could make me more marketable on paper. In particular, one at Centennial (Corporate Communications and PR). Anyone attend the college before and have anything to say about it? Or perhaps are even familiar with the program and/or other ones like it? The new media training that accompanies the program (Photoshop/InDesign, social media, etc) would be immediately marketable skills for the job hunt, their internship program seems far more developed and useful than the joke that was the last college I went to for a postgrad.

Getting trained for positions that make use of my writing/speaking/presentation talents just makes sense to me now. I'm hopeful that I could direct myself back toward the television/film industries, though as a PR/communications professional instead of as a production/creative freelancer, and perhaps wind up remotely close to where I wanted to be when I started.

Frankly, I miss and crave the direction and purpose of having something regular and steady to go to every day, and full-time school might give that back to me again. The freelancer's life just isn't for me right now; I need something more stable to begin my life, become independent again and begin repaying back my family for everything they've given me. Being a PA with irregular hours and days just won't cut it; tried it for a year and I'm not in a good place since graduating in 2011.

This post lacks a bit of direction; it's just some musings on where I've been, where I am, and what I'm thinking about doing to rebuild and refocus my life for the future. I'm pushin out of my mid-20's and need to start making shit happen ASAP. Love the support and dedication of my family to my education and my life, but I can't bear continuing to disappoint them.

Any/all thoughts welcome.

Ramblin

Banned
He means American beers.

The Beer Store is a fucking joke since it is operated by 3 major brewers (that aren't even Canadian owned) who do everything in their power to only push their own products.

The LCBO has a much better selection for beer than the Beer Store does which is quite funny when you think about it. However, it is mostly Canadian craft beer which is getting better all the time but still not at the level of what they have in the US.
The only solution to improve our local beers and breweries and have better access to imports is to totally abolish the Beer Store monopoly.

I will say that there are a bunch of great bars in Toronto that have a great selection of Ontario and imported beers on tap and in bottles. Places like BarVolo, BeerBistro, BierMarkt, Smokeless Joe (not to be confused with the terrible Shoeless Joes chain) and so on and on.

Only problem is you pay through the nose for the imports, and you have to hang out with other beer snobs. I want to go to a store that has a selection like this and pick up some beer, American or Otherwise. The biggest problem I have here is that you rarely find more than one quality beer of a particular style, and even then you're usually settling.

Back on the topic of Pho, the best Pho I've had in the city was at Wonderpho. The most flavourful broth I've encountered and they offer a curried Pho which is fantastic if you want to change it up. I'm not sure how authentic the place is, though, to traditional flavouring. Service is slow compared to your usual Pho restaurants.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I'll throw in Beer Station as well over at bathurst and bloor I believe (right by Honest Ed's). It's a hole in the wall bar but it features over 105 different beers from all over the world.

Rinoa

Do you wear a black muzzle???

Grange Park, John & Stephanie, behind the AGO.

No, but I should wear a hazmat suit cuz lot of dog poop in that park sometimes.

Any/all thoughts welcome.

I have a lot of friends in TV (met my fiance at YTV lol), my skills aren't the same branch as yours which is the only reason I had stable work. Just about everyone else seems to be going through a revolving door.

2 years ago one of my friends who worked in TV decided she wanted true stability. She went back to uni and completed something in a year (forget what) so she can teach. Soon enough she was recruited by a very rich private school because she wasn't married with kids. Private schools seem to prefer teachers able to truly dedicate the time.

Not sure how you feel about teaching, but this is all I can think of for advice. Teachers with real work experience in the broadcast/media industry seem sought after in these private schools, as there are highly focused special courses on those topics.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm not really a big beer drinker anymore, but the best selection I have ever seen has been Pub Italia in Ottawa. I haven't been to a place here that comes close to their beer bible selection in Toronto yet.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
smart move. I've cut down a lot too. My Visa bill thanks me every month!

Yeah I never really enjoyed the taste of beer as much as everyone else seems to. It was always more of a social drink for me, and now that I work from home, I don't get to go out to pubs with coworkers very much anymore.

Incidentally, and this is a long shot, but does anyone know where I can get some St. Bernardus Tripel in Toronto? It's the one beer I do miss and I haven't stumbled upon a place that has it yet.

Magnus

Christ, I'm drinking out with beer more often than ever lately (owing both to the need to party amidst shitty times, and my ever-growing love for exploring new drinks), so the thread's recent topics are relevant to my interests!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Beer is for teenagers.

I don't drink beer too often, but too bad LCBO's selection is still generally disappointing for every sort of alcohol.

Personal drink preference is straight peach schnapps and a variety of sake. Sadly with the later you're mostly stuck buying in bulk from a few good places, because the LCBO's selection is poor (thankfully being in Toronto a few stores stock more than just bottom of the barrel sakes, but very few). Might drink more Scotch if I could afford it, but I generally can't even afford the sake I want. Haha.

I go out of my way to avoid The Beer Store. If an LCBO is three times further away, I will go to the LCBO.

At the risk of sounding snobbish, I mainly hate the clientele of The Beer Store. It's like all the worst beer-drinking stereotypes come to life.

Rinoa

Tell us the truth, you're marrying this guy. :)

Ytv-zone-phil-and-snit-small.jpg

LMAO! Back when YTV was good! Samurai Pizza Cats, Power Rangers, She-Ra, and Jem! Then late night anime!

My older brother actually seen Phil semi-recently. I think last time I saw Phil was when auditioning for
GamerZ, a show that we have to pretend never happened
after being scouted for it. He's a total bro and being like relatives we didn't have the ~sexual~ tension they were writing a female cohost to have with him. I don't know why shows about videogames always have to have that scripted in.

But I be marrying this guy who I made a pretty TERA clone of and which he hates.

Sin and Redemption has a decent beer selection

I have also cut down a lot too

The Rhino has the craziest selection I've seen though, they had Kenyan beer!

Best I have seen in North America was the Yard House, shit son, their list dwarfs West 50

Top Bottom