• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Toronto photo of the day:

7412537150_e35561b70f_b.jpg

Toronto-Gaf, I need help. On Monday(25th) I will be heading down to Toronto to meet with Humber College (North) to finish up my enrolment into one of their programs. I am coming in via VIA Rail from the Brampton station (which is on 31 Church Street West). Because of how tight my appointments are, I will be taking a Taxi to the college.

Edit: And how reliable is Google Maps Public Transit Search Filter in Toronto? Should I trust it?

Go Train is second-best Train, to the VIA Rail.

Go with Go Train.

/shillish

Edit: And how reliable is Google Maps Public Transit Search Filter in Toronto? Should I trust it?

Any time you have to take a TTC bus, add 15 minutes
Any time you have to take a streetcar, add 10 minutes
Any time you have to take a subway, add 5 minutes if it's outside rush hour, 10 minutes inside rush hour.

GO buses are more reliable. GO trains usually run within 5-10 minutes of their stated time. Via trains run within 20 minutes of their stated time.

All trains depend on CN having their shit together.

Google gives you a best case scenario. In most cases, the fewest transfers also means the shortest time. Rarely will it ever take you 30 minutes to go where google says it will take 30 minutes to go.

Hieberrr

Just a heads up to anyone that wants to watch Germany Euro matches at a pub: there is a place on Fraser (a block away from King and Fraser; Liberty Village) catered to Germany fans. Its called "School" and it was damn awesome! A pub full of Germany fans = epic. Good and beer is a little on the expensive side, but it was worth it. Great atmosphere too :D

Just a heads up to anyone that wants to watch Germany Euro matches at a pub: there is a place on Fraser (a block away from King and Fraser; Liberty Village) catered to Germany fans. Its called "School" and it was damn awesome! A pub full of Germany fans = epic. Good and beer is a little on the expensive side, but it was worth it. Great atmosphere too :D

Pretty sure my friend went there to watch one of the Dutch games, according to her its a Dutch bar lol

Hieberrr

Pretty sure my friend went there to watch one of the Dutch games, according to her its a Dutch bar lol

It may be, haha. Some guy stopped me on the way there and said that there were a lot of Dutch people there during the Holland/Germany game. I'm gonna Google it now :p

EDIT: I stand corrected; it is a Dutch pub.

Rinoa

I don't know if they are showing the game but "The Bristol Yard" (146 Christie which is between Bloor and Dupont) at is my favourite British food restaurant in Toronto.

Here is there breakfast menu:

YYFKZ.jpg

and the dinner just because I love the place and wanna spread the word:

6VZIW.jpg

Actually they are open weird hours and days... so make sure to call them before going there.

I saw this new restaurant and was wondering about it, not a fan of british pub/comfort food though. Feel like it's stuff I can slop up myself so I can't justify spending on it.

Fugu

Thanks everyone, So from the looks of it I will check out the Go Train for my way back. Hopefully everything will be able to go according to plan on my trip. I can't wait till Monday ^-^
Why, exactly, did you choose to take VIA from Brampton to Toronto? I can't imagine a more convoluted and expensive route than the one you're taking.

Quick

Banned
Why, exactly, did you choose to take VIA from Brampton to Toronto? I can't imagine a more convoluted and expensive route than the one you're taking.

VIA should always be a last resort. And in general, GO is good enough if you're just coming from Brampton.

soultron

Banned
Fuck yes. I can actually make this TO-GAF meet up this time! :p

Living in TO has been interesting the past two weeks. My GF snagged an amazing bachelor apartment near the Beaches... the price, the apartment itself, and nearby amenities are nuts.

I've been looking for my own place (I work in the western end of TO) and her place makes me jealous. If my contract situation at my new job changes, I'm going to officially move out of Hamilton and be a 7-days-a-week Torontonian instead of 5.

I love my GF to bits, but it's tough living (and cooking for 2) in her place right now. Need my own mancave.

Food recommendation for The Burger's Priest. Great little shop if you're going down to the Beaches. Word of advice though: get 2 burgers or a double. They're great hamburgers, but they're not really at all filling/satisfying. Be warned that there will often be a line-up out the store (it's take-out only; no dining in the store because it's the size of a shoebox.) and that orders can sometimes take ~15 minutes if they're super busy. Worth the wait though.

whitehawk

Banned
Awesome to hear Soultron. I love the beaches, any house there is good so your girl defiantly got a good spot.

As for the Burger Priest... Meh, not a big fan. Portions are small as you mentioned. That would be fine, but there's nothing special about the burger either.

Quadratic

I want to add I love the Beaches as well. Never will call it "the beach". Used to spend my high school days hanging out in that neighbourhood. Had a ton a friends who went to Malvern and Norte Dame.

whitehawk

Banned
I want to add I love the Beaches as well. Never will call it "the beach". Used to spend my high school days hanging out in that neighbourhood. Had a ton a friends who went to Malvern and Norte Dame.
Same. Didn't go, but had a bunch of friends in Malvern so I was often in the area for parties. Plus I used to kayak down at ash bridges bay.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

One of my favorite neighborhoods. Great for walking, and very livable with all the shops along Queen St and transit. Love it.

Leviathan is such an amazing rollercoaster. I rode it four times today since there were no lines cuz it rained earlier in the day.
It is so smooth compared to most coasters.
Anyone that rides it: sit in the very front car because it's way better that way.

Wha? I'm coming from Windsor. My trip is Window-London-Brampton. Reason I chose Brampton was because it was the closest to the college, plus last week VIA Rail was doing tickets to Brampton at 50% off

Brinbe

Leviathan is such an amazing rollercoaster. I rode it four times today since there were no lines cuz it rained earlier in the day.
It is so smooth compared to most coasters.
Anyone that rides it: sit in the very front car because it's way better that way.

Duude, so f'n true. I was there early last Sunday, thanks to having relatives who live across the street, and we got lucky with light lines all day. We definitely took advantage of that rare luxury and went on everything quite a few times, especially Leviathan. And as you said, it's a refreshingly smooth ride and absolutely NOTHING compares to that front-car experience. You just come down from that first hill and just f'n fly. Highly recommended.

Second thing I learned, is that aside from coasters, I'm now officially too old for all the other bullshit spinny rides, which only seek to curse me with an awful headache/nausea.

ElNino

Where do you think it's taken? I was trying to figure it out.. I thought maybe around High Park area or something?
Wouldn't be High Park since that would be west Toronto, this seems to be north Toronto. I'm not as familiar with that part so I'm not sure exactly how far north this would be from.

Wouldn't be High Park since that would be west Toronto, this seems to be north Toronto. I'm not as familiar with that part so I'm not sure exactly how far north this would be from.

I thought it looks like it isnt too far North though.. like all the buildings at the top are around Bloor Street and that seems to line up approximately to where this photo was taken.

TTC reports $22 million surplus this year, mostly because ridership numbers didn't decrease with the latest fare hike.

Just checked the stats. 512 million rides this year. That is an absurdly high number which really shows how important public transportation is to a very high percentage of the population.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Never because they're an essential service now and aren't allowed to strike.

TTC union reports discussions for contract negotiation amidst TTC surplus

"We worked hard for that money, and we deserve better!"
"I sit on my chair all day watching DVDs on my portable DVD player and pressing buttons for tokens...it's a hard job and we're not appreciated"
"I need more money for when I stop in the middle of my route and hit the convenience store!"

Am I missing something?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Never because they're an essential service now and aren't allowed to strike.

It means any negotiation will go before an arbitrator when talks predictably fall apart. And that is usually something that favors the union (ie; statistically higher wages compared to open negotiations). So we can look forward to this in the coming years, and plenty of reasons for fares to continue to increase.

And like added_time said, transit is the life blood of most cities, and incredibly important in Toronto. Let's hope 'zombie Transit City' doesn't hit any more snags.

Top Bottom