• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

StevieP

Banned
Shockingly, our great leader won't support the OneCity proposal, citing taxpayers can't afford it and private funds should be used.

This is ludicrous. You're not going to get fully private funding for a *public* transportation system. What happened to "subways, subways... subways subways! subways."

My two cents: sure, having a full-scale transit system like any normal city of our size will help us punch at our weight. We should work towards this.

This being said, levying $180/ann property tax hike will result in a rent hike meaning Metropasses will be out of my price range. Either that, or I have to cut my grocery budget again.

So I won't use it.

Rather than levying such a fee to pay for transit, halve it and find other ways (Infrastructure grants, road tolls, whathaveyou) to pay for it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The mere mention of a road toll has Rob Ford sweating bullets. If road tolls were ever implemented during his time as Mayor, he might just lose it.

Even if the funding for it is not ideal, they should at least have an open discussion about it. Ford could have come out and said he supported building transit, but they were far apart on how to fund it. Instead he just denounces it as a whole.

And as others have said, 30 year transit plans don't happen anyway. Government changes hands so often, and newly elected officials want to make their own transit legacy; Ending up cancelling previous plans. Such a shame because it stunts growth badly.

Quadratic

What needed to happen was have more transit built back in the 40's or 50's (subways) like the unfinished Queen line. It's too cost prohibitive to build it nowadays with all the environmental assessments and traffic disruptions. It's sad to see that ambitious plan will never be realized.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
actually, that reminds me
good seafood or lobster places?

wife had a craving, and for the love of me I couldn't think of a really good seafood place...

Steak? I got tons! Burgers? Yup! Sushi? Pfft!

Seafood? :(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

wife had a craving, and for the love of me I couldn't think of a really good seafood place...

Rodney's Oysters?

Starfish?

There's a place up in richmond hill/thornhill area that specializes in Lobster. It's supposed to be pretty decent too. Lobster Royale I think it's called.

Stet

Banned

Joso. It's a bit pricy, but if you like seafood and breasts, you will enjoy it.

Toronto-GAF, I wanted to get your advice on which hotel I should stay in (that are between $50-$80 a night) while I'll be in town for The Toronto International Film Festival (Sept 5th-9th). I want to stay in a hotel that is within walking distance and central to several of the theaters that are close to TIFF Bell Lightbox. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Toronto-GAF, I wanted to get your advice on which hotel I should stay in (that are between $50-$80 a night) while I'll be in town for The Toronto International Film Festival (Sept 5th-9th). I want to stay in a hotel that is within walking distance and central to several of the theaters that are close to TIFF Bell Lightbox. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

That's pretty low end price range, especially with TIFF going on; most hotels in walking distance will be a) expensive and b) filled. Transit in the city is decent and you could find a place a bit outside of the core for the price range (maybe). Others can provide more details I hope.

1. TTC is trying to show what a, "make everyone happy with transit" plan actually costs

2. Stintz may want to run for mayor so she is showing that she is willing to do what it takes to fund transit and throw Ford "under the bus" again

3. Keep changing the plan so that nothing ever gets built properly

Flash

Check out what people have to say at BetterBidding and then try your luck at hotwire or priceline. May be a bit difficult to find a good deals in the core because of TIFF weekends, but no harm in trying. Good luck!

Check out what people have to say at BetterBidding and then try your luck at hotwire or priceline. May be a bit difficult to find a good deals in the core because of TIFF weekends, but no harm in trying. Good luck!

Whoa, I had no idea there was a site devoted to figuring out what hotels were on hotwire and priceline lol

If only the Toronto forum was more active......

I'm looking for a hotel for Friday night in Vaughan
Pretty much all the hotels in Vaughan are in 2 areas, so I think its safe to bid on priceline..........

Edit - oh, I think I found where the actual active Canada forum is

Boogie

$50-80 a night?!

My friend, do I have the place for you....

http://hotelwaverley.com/

Another beautiful CN Tower shot for the Toronto photo of the day:

7412335874_53c2d0e3a2_b.jpg

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Magnus

Sorry to say man, but that's more than just a little unrealistic, unless you're going to stay in a bedbug-ridden cesspool. I imagine rates at hotels anywhere downtown will be $200+ for just the 2-star type places.

Even my Starwood immediate-family discount will get me $80/night at best, and that's when the hotels know that they won't sell out to festivals and such in town. Highly doubt any blocks of rooms will be available during TIFF, lol.

Rinoa

Is there any reason why Toronto can't have a congestion fee?

Well, Captain John's is finally being shut down. Surprised it hasn't already happened. I went a couple years ago with some family and it was terrible.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1217601--captain-john-s-restaurant-ordered-to-shut-down?bn=1

be5d687147f6acf6ddefd7f0e698.jpg

I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down yet. Though nearly all the restaurants in that harborfront area, including the 'cruises' are the dirtiest, most overpriced things ever.

It just seems crazy to me that people will hang out at the Eaton Centre or make sure to watch some tv show but not take advantage of seeing one of the best views in the world.
Oh well... Different strokes for different folks.

The obvious answer is the price. I'd rather ride a bike and take in several amazing views and stuff, foh free.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is there any reason why Toronto can't have a congestion fee?

War on cars. Councillors afraid their voter base will turn on them, and the always great fear mongering 'it will kill business in the city' line. These excuses also apply to road tolls and anything increasing the cost of driving for motorist.

E-DuB

So I just realized that Pride day is on the same day as Canada Day... Why is Pride the same day as Canada Day?
It's also my girlfriend's birthday. Triple booya. Sunday We're going to go to the island and have a picnic lunch, enjoy some of the pride festivities in the late afternoon, and then go back to her place to watch people blow stuff up. It will be a good day me thinks.

Rinoa

War on cars. Councillors afraid their voter base will turn on them, and the always great fear mongering 'it will kill business in the city' line. These excuses also apply to road tolls and anything increasing the cost of driving for motorist.

Stuff like this is why we need to de-amalgamate.

Holy shit priceline, 61 dollars + tax to stay in a residence inn

I was worried it would find some way to stick me in a seedy motel

I was almost going to book a hotel for 99 dollars and this one is better

Roto13

Holy shit priceline, 61 dollars + tax to stay in a residence inn

I was worried it would find some way to stick me in a seedy motel

I was almost going to book a hotel for 99 dollars and this one is better

Is it Neill Wycik? I stayed there for a bit when I first moved here. It was hot (the AC was broken in the lounge area), but otherwise ok. Friendly staff, though it's probably not the same staff now. :p

It's also my girlfriend's birthday. Triple booya. Sunday We're going to go to the island and have a picnic lunch, enjoy some of the pride festivities in the late afternoon, and then go back to her place to watch people blow stuff up. It will be a good day me thinks.

Also my uncle's birthday. And my husband's grandmother's 103rd birthday.

To hell with Pride.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Looking at an apartment in the beaches next week during an open house. Good location, no reported bed bugs which is a rarity in the beaches, but lol, it has a gas stove. Should be entertaining.

Sorry to say man, but that's more than just a little unrealistic, unless you're going to stay in a bedbug-ridden cesspool. I imagine rates at hotels anywhere downtown will be $200+ for just the 2-star type places.

Even my Starwood immediate-family discount will get me $80/night at best, and that's when the hotels know that they won't sell out to festivals and such in town. Highly doubt any blocks of rooms will be available during TIFF, lol.

Yea sorry to sound so naive on the hotel situation but I just got the money to go and was trying to be wise about how pricing/availability is during TIFF. Is it pretty much safe to say since I don't have hotel arrangements by now, I won't get anything (unless I pay $250 a night)?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yea sorry to sound so naive on the hotel situation but I just got the money to go and was trying to be wise about how pricing/availability is during TIFF. Is it pretty much safe to say since I don't have hotel arrangements by now, I won't get anything (unless I pay $250 a night)?

If you stay outside of the core, you can land a better value (like around $100-$130). For instance, the Four Points near me (Queensway and Windermere) is around $130 per night during that time.. which is slightly more than usual, but better than what you'd have downtown.

You have direct access to the 501 Streetcar, which is about 20 minutes to Spadina and 30 minutes to Yonge St without any transfers. Just look around. And look in a hurry. Because even the hotels further out will start to fill up.

edit: Yeah, good deal below. Make sure to book as soon as possible because things are going to be full.

Brinbe

Checked the Clarion hotel close to my place downtown, and it's about about $140-150. This place is right by the Sherbourne subway and it's only a ten or so minute ride to where all the theaters are (just transfer to the Young line, one stop over West @ Bloor) and it's only about a 10-min walk to Yorkville (where all the celebs usually are).

Keep in mind, I selected from the 6th-16th, so it'll vary depending on how long your stay is. There's probably similar deals around in places like this, which are downtown, closer to the action, just look.

NB: Lightbox (and the Theatre District) is a little more popular with TIFF and its stars these days.

Also note that during TIFF time especially, surface routes in the DT core are damn near impossible to navigate using streetcars. I've been on more than a few where it's taken 45 minutes to go from University to Spadina - and that's on a regular ol' Thursday night. Finding a hotel on a Subway line, even if it's farther from the core, is going to be your best bet. Go as far as you can underground, then hit the rest walking.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
NB: Lightbox (and the Theatre District) is a little more popular with TIFF and its stars these days.

Also note that during TIFF time especially, surface routes in the DT core are damn near impossible to navigate using streetcars. I've been on more than a few where it's taken 45 minutes to go from University to Spadina - and that's on a regular ol' Thursday night. Finding a hotel on a Subway line, even if it's farther from the core, is going to be your best bet. Go as far as you can underground, then hit the rest walking.

Streetcars heading west from Landsdowne are a nightmare right now too. Half an hour to move .25km, because of construction. It's amazing when it's 40 out too and you're just sitting there. You could walk to Roncy quicker, but there wouldn't be any streetcars there to greet you.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sunday is going to be fun. Gonna probably end up in a spanish bar to watch the Euro finals and then gonna go to my buddy's new place in Danforth for a BBQ.

Quick

Banned
Pretty early to ask, but who's going to Fan Expo this year?

I'm about 80% going, depending on how much money I have by that time. I'll probably limit myself to 2 or 3 days this time. Going on Thursday was almost a waste of time last year since it was a half-day, and there wasn't much to see that interested me.

Roto13

Pretty early to ask, but who's going to Fan Expo this year?

I'm about 80% going, depending on how much money I have by that time. I'll probably limit myself to 2 or 3 days this time. Going on Thursday was almost a waste of time last year since it was a half-day, and there wasn't much to see that interested me.

I told my friend I'd go with him if he fed my cats while I'm in Newfoundland, and he has, so I guess I'm going.

Spl1nter

Was up at 360 Restruant for dinner last night (CN Tower Restruant). Its amazing how different the city looks everytime you see it from up top.

Top Bottom