• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

416 photo of the day:

7412334900_f0db11371d_b.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've been up 3 times since 2007, so about every other year. Go in the off season (like April to October), avoid the two hour lines. Still expensive though. :p

Rinoa

Really sad when saw the announcement about the lease not being renewed. This is the only central bookstore that has what I need in stock because of the space. Just about every book/textbook hunt I go on ends up there. There was 1 USMLE First Aid book left in all of Ontario indigos and lol even that was there.

Most of the books I get would be useless in ereader format, and/or don't come in it. Buying online isn't an option since I'm never home to receive the deliveries safely..

It just seems crazy to me that people will hang out at the Eaton Centre or make sure to watch some tv show but not take advantage of seeing one of the best views in the world.
Oh well... Different strokes for different folks.

ElNino

You guys are weird! I go up the CN Tower once a year!
My elementary school did a class trip to the CN Tower every year (along with the ROM, Science Center, Ontario Place, etc) so I've been up quite a few times as well. I took my wife up for a viewing and dinner once right after we were married but haven't been up since. Once the kids are a bit older I'll take them up as well, but it's a pain to get them downtown right now.

Quick

Banned
I'm going to be in Orlando next week, and holy shit it's going to be hot.

Feels like 45 on Saturday, 46 on Sunday, and 45 again on Monday. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Quick

Banned
It just seems crazy to me that people will hang out at the Eaton Centre or make sure to watch some tv show but not take advantage of seeing one of the best views in the world.
Oh well... Different strokes for different folks.

Not that I don't want to go up the CN Tower, just that I seem to never really think of it when the time's convenient for some funny reason.

I did think about doing EdgeWalk last year. Looks cool as hell, but the price kills my interest.

ibkjrFpr1p29oN.gif

Well damn, this is gonna be rough but hey weekend means lots of short shorts and sundresses for the laydees.

I would bathe in that milk, chocolate, egg concoction if it meant being cool.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This would be amazing, and that's why it will never happen.

Transit plan: Dramatic OneCity proposal floated by Stintz, DeBaeremaeker

OneCity's proposed lines

• Six subway lines, 72 km, $18 billion

Replace the Scarborough RT with a subway from Kennedy Station to Sheppard and McCowan; extend the Yonge subway to Steeles Ave.; build a Sheppard West subway to Downsview Station; build a Don Mills Express subway line from Eglinton to Queen St.; upgrade the Bloor-Yonge subway station; build a Scarborough Express line from Steeles Ave. to Union Station; build an Etobicoke Express Line from the airport to Union Station using the air-rail link.

• 10 LRTs, 73.5 km, $9.5 billion

Extension of the Sheppard East line to Meadowvale, the zoo, and Malvern; build a Scarborough Malvern LRT; extend the Eglinton LRT to the airport; extend the Finch West LRT to Humber College and the airport; build a Jane LRT from Steeles to Bloor; Waterfront West LRT from Union Station to Long Branch; a Finch West LRT from Keele to Yonge St. and a Don Mills LRT from Steeles to Eglinton

• Five bus and streetcar lines, 25.7 km, $1.2 billion

Waterfront East streetcar line from Union Station to Parliament St., Ellesmere bus rapid transit from Scarborough Centre to Sheppard and Kingston Rd.; Kingston BRT from Victoria Park Station to Eglinton and Kingston Rd.; extend the St. Clair streetcar from Keele to Jane; a Wilson BRT from Wilson Station to Keele St.

xEBOU.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That plan is pretty great.

I don't know how they expect to fund the thing though. That's crazy ambitious.

explodet

My initial thoughts on this TTC/OneCity proposal:

- Dat downtown relief line. Stopping at King? I suppose Union's already got way too much traffic already with THREE new lines proposed for it (four if you count the Waterfront East streetcar line).

- speaking of which, the Waterfront East line is a good choice - a George Brown campus is almost ready there, as well as a couple of condos, and they've got jack all as far as public transit is concerned without a significant walk.

- Pape station is a dump. It'll need some major upgrades.

- No direct line from Union to Pearson proposed. Guess that'll keep the cab companies happy?

- Looks like the Scarborough subway won't quite make it into Scarborough Town Centre, and just pass by it on McCowan. We'll see how well that goes over.

- I used to ride the Jane route and it wasn't super crazy crowded, I still can't see it needing its own dedicated LRT line. But maybe it's to ease subway traffic for the Spadina line.

- But with the Yonge extension line in place, who will complain about the Finch buses anymore?

EDIT:
The Globe and Mail said:
Ms. Stintz, now one of the mayor’s most powerful foes on council, and her allies crafted the OneCity plan without the mayor’s input, only briefing his office last Thursday and again Tuesday.

She never spoke directly to Mr. Ford about the proposal.
This is going to go over well.

Azih

*facepalm*

At this point I don't expect them to stick to any plan that is voted on

This plan includes all the Transit City stuff. The solid orange lines are 'LRT in progress' which is Transit City. Everything else is in addition to that.

In fact quite a lot of these lines (such as the one up Jane and Finch West) are from the original transit city plan from Mayor Miller that was chopped by the province:

800px-Transit_City.jpg

Looping the Eglinton to airport line up to meet with Finch West is new and a lovely idea. As are all the new subway lines.

Rinoa

This plan includes all the Transit City stuff. The solid orange lines are 'LRT in progress' which is Transit City. Everything else is in addition to that.

In fact quite a lot of these lines (such as the one up Jane and Finch West) are from the original transit city plan from Mayor Miller that was chopped by the province:

800px-Transit_City.jpg

Looping the Eglinton to airport line up to meet with Finch West is new and a lovely idea. As are all the new subway lines.

I want all these lines yesterday ten years ago.

Azih

Hey, just because everybody else calls the late night Yonge bus the Vomit Comet doesn't mean Stintz does too.

Dammit explodet all the people in the suburbs hate the fancy pants downtowners getting a SUBWAY. Don't they have enough subways already? Why don't they build a subway for the suburbs huh? Like the Don Mills Express line! Don Mills is in the suburbs!

This would depend on no Conservatives getting a majority at any level of government for the next 30 years. Good luck.

Pretty much exactly this.

Even the current LRT expansion plans hang precariously in the balance and depend on how stupid voters are in the next municipal election and if they reelect Ford.

Anyway, I love the plan, but don't have any faith in it actually happening. Every single major transit plan we've had in the last 30 years has been summarily thrown out by some newly elected mayor or premier.

I love this city, but fuck, we have ZERO commitment to anything.

Man, I first heard 6 new subway lines, and I was like, Holy shit, did they find that much money? Then I realize that almost all of it were extensions of existing lines.

Sheppard West is going to be a waste of time too given how useless Sheppard East has been, the best it's going to do is balance out both lines going downtown from the north.

I'm also surprised that the Yonge extension isn't going as far as what's been planned out (to Hwy 7), because having one or two extra stops right to steeles, again, doesn't add or change a whole lot for current commuters that would be taking the steeles bus down one block.

Brinbe

Pretty much exactly this.

Even the current LRT expansion plans hang precariously in the balance and depend on how stupid voters are in the next municipal election and if they reelect Ford.

Anyway, I love the plan, but don't have any faith in it actually happening. Every single major transit plan we've had in the last 30 years has been summarily thrown out by some newly elected mayor or premier.

I love this city, but fuck, we have ZERO commitment to anything.

Yep, summed up my thoughts as well. I admire the ambition/scope/thinking behind the plan, because this is what this city should be aspiring to. Especially considering how much growth is likely to occur in the next 20/30 years.

But we all know this isn't going anywhere, which is just sad.

Yep, summed up my thoughts as well. I admire the ambition/scope/thinking behind the plan, because this is what this city should be aspiring to. Especially considering how much growth is likely to occur in the next 20/30 years.

But we all know this isn't going anywhere, which is just sad.

It's kinda sad on another level, when you think about it. The first reaction everyone has to any plan is "it's not going to happen".

How did we get so much pessimism?

It's like everything in this city is run by miserable, selfish, car-loving suburbanites over 50.

Azih

No reliable dedicated funding and three levels of government with the level that actually gets shit down (the municipality) also the one with the least amount of money and tax flexibility. Either the stars need to align (which kinda happened with Miller+McGuinty) or you need to land the Olympics which forces the Feds to open the funding taps.

It's kinda sad on another level, when you think about it. The first reaction everyone has to any plan is "it's not going to happen".

I'm pessimistic because of the times it's happened before.. like for example, this beautiful plan from 1985 that came to nothing but a half built Sheppard line.:

hjuUT.jpg

There really is one positive thing about all this though: everyone on every side seems to agree that building transit is necessary. The argument is about what transit to build.
In the past conservatives used to just say to build none.
I guess the lack of TTC expansion has finally forced enough drivers onto the roads to cause traffic jams that even the most car-obsessed assholes are starting to give a shit.

Azih

There really is one positive thing about all this though: everyone on every side seems to agree that building transit is necessary. The argument is about what transit to build.
I guess the lack of TTC expansion has finally forced enough drivers onto the roads to cause traffic jams that even the most car-obsessed assholes are starting to give a shit.

Hell there was a poll that said that drivers were willing to pay tolls for a tunnel below the Gardiner. The congestion in this city is full on nuts.

I'm pessimistic because of the times it's happened before.. like for example, this beautiful plan from 1985 that came to nothing but a half built Sheppard line.:

hjuUT.jpg

Conservatives still want to build none. They use the "What type of transit?" logjam to keep it in limbo without having to actually come out against it.

Plenty of suburbanites would even be in favour of bulldozing communities in order to build expressways to get more cars downtown. (But, strangely, they're against anything on their roads.)

explodet

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Shockingly, our great leader won't support the OneCity proposal, citing taxpayers can't afford it and private funds should be used.

Top Bottom