• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Stet

Banned
The Toronto Star is so awesome because if you try to post their articles on Facebook, for some reason none of the thumbnails ever have anything to do with the page you're posting.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So, a streetcar driver had a confrontation with Rob Ford:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1218974--ttc-driver-involved-in-incident-with-mayor-rob-ford

The TTC won't say anything more than "it happened", but I'd LOVE to know how that happened and what was said.
The operator left his seat on the streetcar he was driving to speak to the mayor, something he agreed he shouldn’t have done, TTC spokesman Brad Ross said.

“The operators are not permitted to leave their seats to have a discussion of any kind with any motorist.”
Wait, did the driver leave the streetcar to talk to Ford who was in his car?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That is fucking stupid and dangerous. Also not great for traffic either.

Really, dude should have been suspended and gotten a warning for that.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Streetcar driver was probably getting out to yell at someone trying to speed past the open doors, and didn't realise it was Ford until later. Oh God, let this be true.

Azih

Haven't been able to find a good website that tracks highway closings in Toronto. Can you guys help? Got stuck for an hour on the 401 two weeks ago and would like to avoid that experience.

Streetcar driver was probably getting out to yell at someone trying to speed past the open doors, and didn't realise it was Ford until later. Oh God, let this be true.

According to Twitter, this is exactly what happened, and has been confirmed by Bob Kinnear (the slimy union head.)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
According to Twitter, this is exactly what happened, and has been confirmed by Bob Kinnear (the slimy union head.)

From the Sun, also an article on the Star about it.

TORONTO - Mayor Rob Ford allegedly drove past the open doors of a streetcar sparking a run-in with a TTC worker, the transit union president said Friday.

Ford drove past the open rear doors of a Dundas St. streetcar near McCaul St. on Wednesday, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 president Bob Kinnear said.

“My understanding is Mr. Ford did pass the open doors of a streetcar,” Kinnear said. “The operator counselled Mr. Ford on the serious safety violation and the potential danger of doing that. From there, my understanding is that Mayor Ford contacted the TTC.”

The TTC interviewed the employee and the employee was put back to work.

Kinnear said he didn’t know what time the incident occurred.

Rushing the doors of an open streetcar can lead to a traffic ticket.

It can get frustrating for operators to see cars rushing the doors of an open streetcar throughout the day, Kinnear said.

“It becomes very concerning for our passengers and the safety of our passengers,” he said. “We’re not opposed to our members advising the public of our rules in the interest of safety.”

But Kinnear added they don’t encourage operators to “interact with motorists” or leave the driver’s seat.

Kinnear said the mayor did roll down his window and “had some comments for the operator.”

“I don’t know specifically what those comments were,” he said.

The union boss said it’s not the first time Ford has complained about one of his members to TTC management.

“It’s not surprising,” he said.

The TTC was tight-lipped about the run-in Thursday night.

TTC spokesman Brad Ross refused to reveal what streetcar route the incident occurred along but did say the employee was “counselled” not to leave the driver’s seat in the future.

“As far as we’re concerned the matter is closed,” Ross said. “We’re not going to comment on the incident.”

The mayor’s office refused to confirm any details of the incident when contacted Thursday.

Of course we already knew Ford was just another asshat driver. Really, I find less cars try to blow by streetcar doors these days, but it seems like every day I'm almost run over by a bicycle.

But when you're only facing a $109 for endangering people like this, why bother stopping? lulz

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Pretty early to ask, but who's going to Fan Expo this year?

I'm about 80% going, depending on how much money I have by that time. I'll probably limit myself to 2 or 3 days this time. Going on Thursday was almost a waste of time last year since it was a half-day, and there wasn't much to see that interested me.

I swore off Fan Expo about 3-4 years ago. Only reason that I may go back is if a few friends from out on the east coast come for it.

The Toronto Star is so awesome because if you try to post their articles on Facebook, for some reason none of the thumbnails ever have anything to do with the page you're posting.

YES

So damn annoying

The Star also doesn't have an official Android app

soultron

Banned
Pretty early to ask, but who's going to Fan Expo this year?

I'm about 80% going, depending on how much money I have by that time. I'll probably limit myself to 2 or 3 days this time. Going on Thursday was almost a waste of time last year since it was a half-day, and there wasn't much to see that interested me.

I'm thinking about it. Last year just felt soulless though. The gaming stuff is always a bust and whatever's promised (3DS one year, VITA last year, IIRC.) is never actually there. :c

I'd rather have another TO-GAF meet-up. c:

Dyno

Gonna be a great weekend! What's your plans?

Friday - patio on Church St. Chill out and see the sights.
Saturday - dance at the Wellesley St. stage. Bar or club after that.
Sunday - 519 party. Splashpad for the kids. Beer and DJs for the parents
Monday - Relax at home. Have some friends over.

Friday - Hotel party
Saturday - TED and pack
Sunday - Finish packing, watch the Euro game, watch NHL free agency, enjoy Canada day somehow, go to airport, fly to England
Monday - See Metric play in London

Roto13

Friday - Lay around and feel the breeze
Saturday - Lay around and feel the breeze
Sunday - Lay around and feel the breeze and dinner at an aunt's house
Monday - Lay around and feel the breeze

Friday - romantic dinner with the wife
Saturday - TFC home game and then various free Pride stuff
Sunday - Watch soccer final and then fireworks
Monday - play Pokemon and watch episodes of Law and Order from 1990

FairyD

Friday - Maybe see a movie or go for a walk downtown. Probably stay in and do some writing as well.
Saturday - Dunno. Maybe cne or lakeshore or just chill in parkdale
Sunday - Sleep
Monday - Work.

Kunohara

Friday - Play Diablo 3 till my eyes bleed
Saturday - Play Diablo 3 till the afternoon, then hang out with friends
Sunday - Going to one of the numerous city parks and enjoy the Canada Day stuff happening
Monday - Play Diablo 3 till my eyes bleed, and read.

Oppo

Friday - Hotel party
Saturday - TED and pack
Sunday - Finish packing, watch the Euro game, watch NHL free agency, enjoy Canada day somehow, go to airport, fly to England
Monday - See Metric play in London

holy shit. you win :)

I am looking for suggestions, at loose ends this weekend.

Quick

Banned
Friday - PMall for some food and bubble tea.
Saturday - Flying to Orlando, driving to resort, checking shit out there.
Sunday - Even more Orlando! (while checking out some of the NHL free agent "frenzy".
Monday - MORE ORLANDO!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Friday - Gym, relaxing
Saturday - Gym, going out to some bar along Ossington
Sunday - playing baseball, go downtown to meet up with a lady friend for the euro finals, bbq at buddy's new place on danforth
Monday - lay around and be lazy

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Friday - Buying FFXIII-2, watching my wife play that.
Saturday - Playing Pokemon Black 2, avoiding the heat.
Sunday - Get burnt out on Pokemon, beat another one of my 500 backlogged games.
Monday - Sleep. All day.

Quadratic

Friday: Staying in and playing UMVC3 in preparation for EVO
Saturday: Playing some KoF13 so I don't embarrass myself next weekend
Sunday: Euro 2012 finals at Queen and the Beaver
Monday: Packing for Las Vegas

Hieberrr

I went to Maggie's Cafe (all-day all you can eat brunch) yesterday (Bathurst and College) for some food and holy crap :O~ DAT MASSIVE BREAKFAST/BRUNCH.

So good :O~ I ate at 12:30 and wasn't hungry 12 hours after
KuGsj.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Don't worry, Kave_Man. On the fateful day when you finally get your meetup comeuppance, I'll be there.

I did nothing, Kraftwerks just decided I must die.

It's okay though the thousand armies of Leafs-GAF will descend upon him.

Quick

Banned
I've been stuck in Charlotte for 4 hours now. Has Toronto either burned down, blown up, or melted away? I NEED MY TORONTO FIX.

whitehawk

Banned
You're a trumpet player? I was before my jaw got all messed up, went to Humber. What do you play?
In highschool I played anything from pop songs to jazz. I'm actually taking next year off to practice a lot so I can get into Humber. I went to UofT last semester but I hated it. I'm auditing for a spot on a band that plays 30s/40s big band music.

Top Bottom