• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Is there anyone in this thread that is good with photoshop or something like that? I want a nice photo of Toronto for my facebook timeline.. I searched online but all the images are either cropped wrong or stetch in a bad way because they didn't know the actual pixels it should be (which is 851px by 315px).

If anyone can help then thank you!

Quick

Banned
Is there anyone in this thread that is good with photoshop or something like that? I want a nice photo of Toronto for my facebook timeline.. I searched online but all the images are either cropped wrong or stetch in a bad way because they didn't know the actual pixels it should be (which is 851px by 315px).

I could give you a hand of you can wait a couple of hours or so.

Hieberrr

Man, it just hit me that, despite how much I love my marketing program at Ryerson, it doesn't prepare me for real work. I have no idea where to even look for jobs (well, I do now that my friend helped me out) and I have no idea what entry-level jobs entail. Sure I look at the job descriptions, but fuck me... half the shit on there I haven't even learnt nor touched (put into practice) and yeah....

Did I make a mistake?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

You want something else?

El7va.png

bmoAd.png

Spl1nter

Man, it just hit me that, despite how much I love my marketing program at Ryerson, it doesn't prepare me for real work. I have no idea where to even look for jobs (well, I do now that my friend helped me out) and I have no idea what entry-level jobs entail. Sure I look at the job descriptions, but fuck me... half the shit on there I haven't even learnt nor touched (put into practice) and yeah....

Did I make a mistake?

Universities have counselling and people to help you with these issues.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Did I make a mistake?

If you really love it then no. Just gotta be persistent man.

My best friend graduated some 6 years ago in Marketing, started off in tech support and now does his marketing as a member of Google. He had to get his foot in the door with something he hated but it paid off.

Hieberrr

If you really love it then no. Just gotta be persistent man.

My best friend graduated some 6 years ago in Marketing, started off in tech support and now does his marketing as a member of Google. He had to get his foot in the door with something he hated but it paid off.

Thanks, man.

I really do enjoy it. It is the one thing, professionally, that really interests me. I probably would have loved to go into tech support as a starting point, but I really don't know anything about it. I started out with a communications minor (which I pretty much ended up hating because of my prof and the course that she taught), but made the switch to a business law minor.

I feel like I need to teach myself and learn a bunch of other things on my own time I really want to make it in this field, because every (or most) job postings that I've seen (entry-level) required at least 1-2 years of experience. It's a fucking paradox, LOL.

Thanks, man.

I really do enjoy it. It is the one thing, professionally, that really interests me. I probably would have loved to go into tech support as a starting point, but I really don't know anything about it. I started out with a communications minor (which I pretty much ended up hating because of my prof and the course that she taught), but made the switch to a business law minor.

I feel like I need to teach myself and learn a bunch of other things on my own time I really want to make it in this field, because every (or most) job postings that I've seen (entry-level) required at least 1-2 years of experience. It's a fucking paradox, LOL.
So much of what is required in job descriptions you will learn - or be taught - in entry-level positions. If you naturally learn quickly (or can at least follow instruction) you will pick up what you need to do, while being confident that you've got the foundation from what you've learned in school. Many jobs don't even fully conform to the job description that they post on their sites or through recruitment boards.

And, it's just one of those realities of life that some people end up in jobs they hate, at least for awhile, before they can find something that they love. So, like others, I advocate sticking with it: at least you'll learn what you like and what you don't like about any given job.

Need some advice from GTA Gaf.

I need to know what is a good cell phone provider. I hear people constantly bitching about Rogers/Bell so I'm kind of wondering what good alternatives there are?

Is Koodo any good?

I am getting a cell phone and just dont want to make the mistake of getting into some contract with a shit provider.

I live in Georgetown (Halton Hills) so hope they all cover that region.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Need some advice from GTA Gaf.

I need to know what is a good cell phone provider. I hear people constantly bitching about Rogers/Bell so I'm kind of wondering what good alternatives there are?

Is Koodo any good?

I am getting a cell phone and just dont want to make the mistake of getting into some contract with a shit provider.

I live in Georgetown (Halton Hills) so hope they all cover that region.

I'm using WIND Mobile. We've had good luck with them, and their range / signal has improved leaps and bounds in the past year. You'd have to check in with them to make sure you're covered though. Their customer service is decent as well.. at least the service at the store. Haven't had to phone in; I'd probably just walk into a store if I had problems.

They do offer what you're looking for too in no contracts.

Quick

Banned
There's a few people here who seem to prefer Wind. And they have a pretty decent selection of phones, too.

EDIT: Beaten by EvilMario.

Hieberrr

I've been hearing amazing things about Wind in the past year, so definitely check them out.

I'm on Fido right now and it's MUCH cheaper than Rogers/Bell, but I'll be making the switch to Wind in a month.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I am so happy I switched to wind. I'm on a 40 dollars for everything for life plan and it's pretty sweet. You're in Halton Hills and the coverage map seems to suggest that there's service there, but you should go find a store to make sure. I can't recommend enough how much less shitty it is to be on their service than paying double on rogers or bell or whatever.

If you need a new phone, I suggest finding a way to get the galaxy nexus from the US play store. It's only 350 there for an excellent phone, and worst comes to worst, it's got a pentaband radio so you can use it on any of the carriers if you need to, or if you're travelling.

Hieberrr

Hey Divvy, will I be able to use the Wind sim on my unlocked Galaxy S (Bell)?

and the site really sucks, but are there any decent free phones with the $25 contract?

Divvy

Hey Divvy, will I be able to use the Wind sim on my unlocked Galaxy S (Bell)?

and the site really sucks, but are there any decent free phones with the $25 contract?

You'll be able to make calls and send text messages, but no 3G.

The Lumia 710 is the only phone sub 25 dollars that's worth anything. It's a windows phone 7 device and you won't be getting the windows phone 8 update at all or any future ones past that. You should ask some of the folks in the windows phone thread more about it IMO the galaxy nexus is the minimum I would go for.

I don't know how urgently you need a phone, but they have deals and promotions fairly often. The one going now sucks unless you need to make a bunch of long distance calls or something.

I'm using WIND Mobile. We've had good luck with them, and their range / signal has improved leaps and bounds in the past year. You'd have to check in with them to make sure you're covered though. Their customer service is decent as well.. at least the service at the store. Haven't had to phone in; I'd probably just walk into a store if I had problems.

They do offer what you're looking for too in no contracts.
Their phone service is pretty good. I like that they'll call you back instead of putting you on hold for like forever.

Hieberrr

You'll be able to make calls and send text messages, but no 3G.

The Lumia 710 is the only phone sub 25 dollars that's worth anything. It's a windows phone 7 device and you won't be getting the windows phone 8 update at all or any future ones past that. You should ask some of the folks in the windows phone thread more about it IMO the galaxy nexus is the minimum I would go for.

I don't know how urgently you need a phone, but they have deals and promotions fairly often. The one going now sucks unless you need to make a bunch of long distance calls or something.

Oh, that's completely fine since I don't use data anyways :D I was kind of hoping I can get an Android device on the cheap so that I can flash another ROM onto it and use it too.

Aight thanks everyone :)

Im kind of new to smart phones, and some plans seem rediculous: 60+ dollars a month

Id rather just get a smartphone and have a regular phone plan on it; texting and calling is fine by me I am not really interested in surfing web.

EDIT: I got unlazy and looked for myself. Wow their plans are great!

Now about that Nexus Galaxy... whats so good about that phone in particular that I should pay 350 to get one imported :p?

Divvy

One quick Q: About this 40 dollars a month for everything plan: Is that a smart-phone plan including internet usage?

Im kind of new to smart phones, and some plans seem rediculous: 60+ dollars a month

Id rather just get a smartphone and have a regular phone plan on it; texting and calling is fine by me I am not really interested in surfing web.

Yeah the 40 plan includes data. The 25 dollar plan only includes 100 mb of data. They're both pretty good deals except they lack voicemail. Like I said wind has promotions fairly often so you could wait for something better to come along. I think the current one is getting 200 dollars to use on addons, roaming, long distance calling.

I am not advertising this apartment, but this is a must see. It's a furnished basement and it appears the bar is the kitchen. The bed included is a mattress with a blanket on top, the TV included could be 10 years old and that's not even everything. Who would pay $850 for this!?

$850 / 600ft² - Gorgeous fully furnished apartment (Pape and Danforth)

Bonus if you can spot the wedding picture, not sure if included.

Mmmm, I can almost feel the centipedes from looking at that picture.

Fuzzy

I'm pretty sure that's an air mattress so I guess you wouldn't have to worry about sleeping with bedbugs, those would just be everywhere else. :lol

Hieberrr

I am not advertising this apartment, but this is a must see. It's a furnished basement and it appears the bar is the kitchen. The bed included is a mattress with a blanket on top, the TV included could be 10 years old and that's not even everything. Who would pay $850 for this!?

$850 / 600ft² - Gorgeous fully furnished apartment (Pape and Danforth)

Bonus if you can spot the wedding picture, not sure if included.

That's a good deal if legit.

Me personally, I'd hate to stay in a basement. There's something about being underground that just seems like you're so far away from civilization :lol

Thank you Fuzzy and Quick for those Timeline sized pictures! I grabbed them and I plan on using one from both of you!

Speaking of pictures... Toronto photo of the day:

7491838312_c3fe1d00ba_b.jpg

I know that I live pretty close to Ubisoft Toronto. I remember I went to a concert a while back and I guess a lot of people from that office were at it because they were running around drunk yelling "UBISOFT CREW IS IN THE HOUSE!"

very strange but funny

Back in the '90s there was a small game development house just down the street from me. A couple of the guys at the game store I worked at got to be game testers there. It was a source of pride to have a real game developer so nearby...

Until I found out they produced pure shit like that Ren & Stimpy game for SNES.

Fugu

It's funny that you guys are talking about Wind, as I just switched to them yesterday for the S3. They have a promotion with their $40 plan that gives free voicemail for ten months. So far things are going pretty well, although I have to say that their service is somewhat spotty on the 401.

Presco

EDIT: I got unlazy and looked for myself. Wow their plans are great!

Now about that Nexus Galaxy... whats so good about that phone in particular that I should pay 350 to get one imported :p?

They don't have full coverage in that region. My wife and I looked into giving up the iPhones and switching to Wind but she is a teacher in north Brampton and the coverage was garbage. We live downtown so it would have been perfect otherwise. Georgetown and Halton Hills are right on the border of Wind coverage so your service will be spotty at best. We have a friend in Georgetown who used Wind for a week and cancelled.

ElNino

I am so happy I switched to wind. I'm on a 40 dollars for everything for life plan and it's pretty sweet. You're in Halton Hills and the coverage map seems to suggest that there's service there, but you should go find a store to make sure. I can't recommend enough how much less shitty it is to be on their service than paying double on rogers or bell or whatever.
How much you save on Wind compared to Rogers will vary greatly depending on the plan. Rogers' posted plans are much more expensive, but it is not hard to get a better deal.

I'm on Rogers (Nokia Lumia 900) and I have 6GB LTE data along with my voice plan (250 daytime minutes, 2500 SMS, caller ID, voicemail) and I pay about $50 a month. I also get to upgrade my hardware every 12 months, so being "on contract" is no problem for me.

Fuzzy

They don't have full coverage in that region. My wife and I looked into giving up the iPhones and switching to Wind but she is a teacher in north Brampton and the coverage was garbage. We live downtown so it would have been perfect otherwise. Georgetown and Halton Hills are right on the border of Wind coverage so your service will be spotty at best. We have a friend in Georgetown who used Wind for a week and cancelled.
Is the Wind price so much better than Bell's Teacher's plan?

GET THE F OUT REALLY HOLY CLOSE TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!

That is awesome news and right by the Go station. must at least be a intern there!

Oakville's long been a mecca of successful game development.

Ok, so we had Gray Matter for a while 20 years ago. I knew a guy that worked there for a bit.

Spl1nter

How much you save on Wind compared to Rogers will vary greatly depending on the plan. Rogers' posted plans are much more expensive, but it is not hard to get a better deal.

I'm on Rogers (Nokia Lumia 900) and I have 6GB LTE data along with my voice plan (250 daytime minutes, 2500 SMS, caller ID, voicemail) and I pay about $50 a month. I also get to upgrade my hardware every 12 months, so being "on contract" is no problem for me.

Damn thats a pretty nice plan. PM whatever blackmail you used to get it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

ybhk3.jpg

I'm glad we don't have this impulse. Haha.

We're not under contract for a single thing, including rent (month to month), phone, internet, and we don't have cable, or a landline. I definitely prefer it this way.

If you follow RFD a bit, you can see how playing the retention game with Rogers can net you really good deals. But I'd just prefer to pay around the same price range and not give my money (directly at least) to the telecom giants. A shame what they're trying to do with internet regulation has disappeared from the public eye. CRTC was only an election issue and no one followed through on shit when it comes to protecting the consumer. Election promises, yay.

Oakville's long been a mecca of successful game development.

Ok, so we had Gray Matter for a while 20 years ago. I knew a guy that worked there for a bit.

Right, that's what the place was called.

Crappy, crappy games. Hate to say that about a hometown company, but it was the truth.

I remember hearing about Rockstar (or whatever it was called back then) opening up around '98 or '99. I think they were originally on Iroquois Shore Road, but I've long been under the impression they moved out of Oakville. But now I know they didn't.

Oppo

I wish I could switch to Wind, but I won't give up my iPhone.

It is unlocked though so I'm looking for alternatives to Rogers.

Seems like a nice night; might take the bike out and snap some pictures. I've had good luck taking longer exposures by attaching a gorilla pod to my handlebars :)

Right, that's what the place was called.

Crappy, crappy games. Hate to say that about a hometown company, but it was the truth.

I remember hearing about Rockstar (or whatever it was called back then) opening up around '98 or '99. I think they were originally on Iroquois Shore Road, but I've long been under the impression they moved out of Oakville. But now I know they didn't.

Crappy games? Don't you knock the video game adaptation of Jeff Speakman's "Perfect Weapon"!

I had no idea Rockstar had an office in one of those industrial places on Iroquois Shore Road. Wow.

I've spent the better part of 37 years in this town.

Presco

Is the Wind price so much better than Bell's Teacher's plan?

We are actually with Rogers. Cheaper to just go through retentions than it is to get on a corporate plan with either Bell or Rogers. Data on corporate plans is expensive. We have great plans with 6 GB for less than $50. Not as cheap as Wind and the other new players but it's dependable and usable anywhere in Canada. We spend many weekends out of the city so this functionality is essential.

Even so, I'm hoping that the iPhone 5 will be usable with Wind or Mobilicity just to have the option. Our phone contracts with Rogers are up in a few months and I don't plan on signing any more contracts for any cell phone, TV, or internet service ever again. We'll go month to month with Rogers for cell phones for as long as they keep our discounts. Likely moving to Europe next year for a few years anyway so it's probably a moot point. Hopefully, by the time we come back our telecommunications industry (and transit systems) will be world class. Hell, maybe even the NDP will be in power. /pipedream

whitehawk

Banned
I wish I could switch to Wind, but I won't give up my iPhone.

It is unlocked though so I'm looking for alternatives to Rogers.

Seems like a nice night; might take the bike out and snap some pictures. I've had good luck taking longer exposures by attaching a gorilla pod to my handlebars :)
I'm pretty sure the new iPad uses the same band as Wind. So if the iPhone 5 get's 4G, it should work with Wind. I'm crossing my fingers.

ElNino

Damn thats a pretty nice plan. PM whatever blackmail you used to get it.
No blackmail involved, just my (grandfathered) corporate plan. Current plan is about the same but it bumps the hardware upgrade eligibility up to 18 months.

That being said, I have several co-workers who are on Rogers who go through retentions instead of the corporate plan and they actually pay a bit less than I do. They do have to call every year though to get a new deal though.

Cheaper to just go through retentions than it is to get on a corporate plan with either Bell or Rogers. Data on corporate plans is expensive.
Not all corporate data plans are expensive. My 6GB LTE plan costs ~$25/month, but it isn't posted on the site; I had to phone the corporate CSR to add it but she did it right away with no hassles so they know about it (they just don't advertise it).

Spl1nter

No blackmail involved, just my (grandfathered) corporate plan. Current plan is about the same but it bumps the hardware upgrade eligibility up to 18 months.
Corporate plans are done through blackmail :)

I think I have the exact same plan as you. 25 for voice and 25 for data. Same 6gb data but 3G. Who knows it maybe lte but iPhone doesn't have that capability. Data package came from a normal plan and not corporate. Plan is good enough that I am not really interested in looking elsewhere.

I actually need to do some research tomorrow to help my mom find a new phone. Going to have to look at the corporate phone selection.

Hieberrr

Have you seen these street pianos?

http://streetpianos.com/toronto2012/

I ran into one today near yonge and dundas. It was being used and I didn't feel like waiting, but I think I may learn a couple songs and play one of them. Maybe I'll bring my sheet music lol.

So, that's what it is! I saw one earlier today across from College Park (on Yonge) and was wondering just why the hell there's a painted piano just chilling by a tree. Some guy sat down and started playing it as I walked past it.

I saw outdoor Pianos in London last week, thought it was cool but potentially annoying

Then I see Toronto is doing the same thing, so its not as cool anymore :(

Top Bottom