• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

jokkir

Toronto photo of the day (the hipster skyline!)

7593219064_314cfd83a9_b.jpg

Where is that? I'm assuming somewhere on the Toronto Islands?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Too bad our candidates in the next election will be just as bad. Only Wong-Tam can save us and she'll probably net 15% of the vote in the end. :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Surely Stintz has raised her reputation right?

Maybe she has in the public's eyes, but if you listen to her speak and how she conducts her business, she's not great. Heavy conservative ties, even if more moderate, and the way she handles herself as TTC Chair bothers me. She can't take criticism (nothing is wrong with the TTC, these are all lies!), and she's reactive. One Transit was a cool idea, but it was more a play to try to show 'HEY LOOK WE WANT TO BUILD TRANSIT.. BUT THE MAYOR IS GOING TO SHOOT US DOWN', than anything that could realistically happen. You can bet it's going to be part of her platform when she runs for the office.

She's basically gaining praise to standing up to Ford when he showed weaknesses, but that shouldn't buy her a one way ticket into becoming the Mayor. The fact that every move she makes is basically setting herself up to run rubs me the wrong way as well. So better than Ford.. probably.. but that's not a great compliment, since three quarters of the populous might do a better job at this point.

Of course, then I see something like this and maybe I should be excited to have anyone else in there. :p

Rinoa

I'll eat hot dogs... I don't care. I went to that Chinese Dumpling House restaurant the very day it re-opened after being closed for rat infestation just because I knew it would be empty and they would give me a good deal that day.
Tasted great to me!

Keeping a busy chinatown restaurant above code is a lot harder than a hotdog stand or a non-busy little restaurant beside office buildings. So it's inevitable that things like that happen to restaurants that are crammed in a dense area, those restaurants are just as good as any usually.

Google Street giving Toronto 'an update' in the coming months. Really the image quality for Toronto is pretty good overall, especially compared to some of the first Streetview images done in the States. Nice to see they're refreshing their image base again, because this city undergoes a ton of change every year.

Far too much shoddy construction happening compared to other cities in the world. Streets w/new condo townhouses don't even exist on their mapping.. it's just open yards.

Trying to decipher this parking sign, anyone understand it?

Trying to decipher this parking sign, anyone understand it?

Looks pretty clear to me: No parking from midnight until 6AM at all times of year, unless you have a resident permit, and no parking from 7PM on the first of the month to 7PM on the 16th of the month between April 1 and December 1. At other times, parking is permitted on that side of the street.

There's probably also a resident permit exception to the second one, too, but check with the city.

in other news, Maple Leaf Gardens finally has an ice rink again!

ohumX.jpg

This sits on top of the Loblaws grocery store and is to be used by Ryerson.

Rinoa

Looks pretty clear to me: No parking from midnight until 6AM at all times of year, unless you have a resident permit, and no parking from 7PM on the first of the month to 7PM on the 16th of the month between April 1 and December 1. At other times, parking is permitted on that side of the street.

There's probably also a resident permit exception to the second one, too, but check with the city.

The 7pm thing is what I don't get.

So..

no parking:
Apr 1 7pm
through
Apr 16 7pm

for each month until Dec 1 7pm.

Guessing peeps park on other side of street during those times.

I think you can park there now. Don't hold me to that.

Reminds me of Louie.
We seriously made those faces.

in other news, Maple Leaf Gardens finally has an ice rink again!

ohumX.jpg

This sits on top of the Loblaws grocery store and is to be used by Ryerson.

Weird, it's like they sliced half of the gardens from bottom up?

Well, this is a first! Concrete falling from the Gardiner

I guess it'll have to smash a politician's car, or kill someone. Reading up on it, apparently the city does 'controlled chipping' to trim back the loose sections of the expressway, but.. seems like that's not really helping. Always amusing to me that people at city hall are afraid to talk about it.

They can chip away until there's nothing left... won't fix the problem.

Prax

Haha... I live near Jane and Emmett (Weston). Where the previous shooting occurred...

And I often get off work near midnight, meaning I get home around 1:00am.
I should be more afraid, but it is hard to care due to the overwhelming statistics.

I dunno why people are so danged trigger-happy right now.

Fugu

I live/work in Forest Hill, and yesterday an older woman mentioned how she's stopped trusting black people based on the amount of shootings recently. It seems that when shootings happen, the rich just get indignant and racist.

York is safe during the day.

Prax

All these shootings happening is so depressing.
I can only hope for my own safety (and my family's) that most of it is heavily motive related and targeted and random bystanders like me are very unlikely to get hurt/involved.

Is this all kind of snowballing/action-reaction between gang and revenge scenarios?

I live/work in Forest Hill, and yesterday an older woman mentioned how she's stopped trusting black people based on the amount of shootings recently. It seems that when shootings happen, the rich just get indignant and racist.

York is safe during the day.

Odds are pretty good the woman was already racist and just looking for a way to justify it.

Forest Hill is a special kind of neighbourhood. One that preaches community and family and then whose drivers try to run down pregnant pedestrians who have the right of way at stop signs.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does anyone know where in Toronto (preferably downtown) I can find a store that sells an abundant variety of smartphone cases and whatnot? Aside from PMall that is.

Top Bottom