• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Azih

I've been looking for a 1 bedroom apartment for about a month and a half. I don't have many constraints other than it must be walking distance to a subway station and in a half decent area.
I think if you're willing to accept a walking distance of 10 or 15 minutes you should get much better deals.

Willectro

Banned
My girlfriend and I wanted out of our old 3 bedroom apartment after 11 months (of a 12 month lease) so we needed to find someone to sublet it for a month and make sure they were willing to stay for at least another year (so essentially a 13 month lease).

I posted a craigslist at and received over 100 legit responses within 12 hours before i had to take down the ad for my own sanity. I couldn't handle responding to everyone individually so I sent a mass email to everyone telling them we would do 2 open houses on one weekend and if they wanted to see the apartment they should come.

So they did, and it was a gong show, and at the end of it we had 21 different applications. Ultimately the landlord chose the people who was willing to pay $200 a month more than we had been paying. Insane.

Wow, that's crazy. Luckily they said the tenant only had time to show it to 12 people, so at least I'm not up against hundreds of people.

Toronto photo of the day:

7633017534_ce768e5a44_b.jpg

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
NEVER.

It's more scotch tape than card now, but I'll never give it up.

Yeah that plastic part totally came right off but you can still see the numbers perfectly fine. And it is still 90% white and red dammit!

I do love the fact that the signature on the back is from a young Kave Man of age 5.

ElNino

Yeah that plastic part totally came right off but you can still see the numbers perfectly fine. And it is still 90% white and red dammit!

I do love the fact that the signature on the back is from a young Kave Man of age 5.
LOL, yeah I just looked at mine and it's pretty funny to compare to what my signature is now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Black Bull on Queen West. A simple but very good burger. I was surprised myself.

I haven't eaten at the Black Bull in a couple of years (I've been there half a dozen times), but they never really impressed me aside from having a good patio. But at least they're not terribly overpriced. I may have to give them another try.

Willectro

Banned
War on
police
cars!

14 months and a few months probation for torching a cruiser. I'll never get use to how short most sentences are in Canada.

Well by the sounds of it, they only got him on the 2 counts of mischief which I doubt carries a large penalty because it is a blanket charge for a variety of offences. Sounds like he lost, what I would imagine to be, a cradle to the grave job at the TTC.

The part that angers me now is that as taxpayers we now get to pick up the tab for the destroyed police car, the police time, the courts, his prison sentence, and I'm sure some sort of welfare as he won't be employable when he is released.

So they did, and it was a gong show, and at the end of it we had 21 different applications. Ultimately the landlord chose the people who was willing to pay $200 a month more than we had been paying. Insane.

What area of town was that apartment in?

PS every single apartment I've ever lived in, I've got it by walking around and looking for "for rent" signs. Anytime an apartment was on viewit or craigslist, it meant that 10 other people would be applying and I would never get it. A nice hidden "for rent" sign though meant I could just say "I will take it!" right after seeing the place.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
REMINDER :

Toronto Meet-Up Is Tonight- Come one, Come all!

MEETUP THREAD

When fifty people show up, you'll be sorry!

PS every single apartment I've ever lived in, I've got it by walking around and looking for "for rent" signs. Anytime an apartment was on viewit or craigslist, it meant that 10 other people would be applying and I would never get it. A nice hidden "for rent" sign though meant I could just say "I will take it!" right after seeing the place.

Well, we've found our last couple of apartments on craigslist, but we've never looked downtown for an apartment. We've viewed a few on Roncesvalles, but we were met with a dozen other people viewing a small, ill kept apartment with stinky wet dog smelling carpet.

The best part about viewit.ca and craigslist is discovering the property management sites, and getting ahead of other people (ie; before the company post on craigslist). A bunch of viewit.ca listings are just perma listings, and it doesn't always mean they have an opening.

But yeah, if you have time, just walk around a neighbourhood you like and call numbers (or take a photo) of the FOR RENT signs.

2273 Dundas St West, above the Go West Reality office. Basically Roncesvales/Dundas West Subway.

It all worked out as we moved to a much better apartment less than 10 mins away. Now I have a huge backyard/patio, high end kitchen, all inclusive utilities and better landlords...for $100 less than we were paying before. :)

Quick

Banned
Has anyone been having issues with Rogers' 3G network?

I have the 3G indicator showing on my phone, but I can't get any webpages to load, or Facebook or Twitter to refresh. Rogers' My Account app isn't loading up either.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm at some big geek festival in Burlington called ConBravo.

What happened to me over the last decade that I feel so out of place?

You grew up man. I've felt the same with a lot of cons. I stand around and realize just how much older I am and how out of touch I am with the regular con goers. I used to go to Anime North all the time but about 2 years ago I realized I don't care much for any of the series out now and I don't understand the kids.

I have the 3G indicator showing on my phone, but I can't get any webpages to load, or Facebook or Twitter to refresh. Rogers' My Account app isn't loading up either.

Did you try the always patented pull out the battery and put it back in trick?

I tend to have that problem in certain parts of my work building. I noticed there's a difference between it saying "3g" and "3G" with the capital letter one being the one that actually lets you connect to the internet.

Quick

Banned
On an iPhone, so I can't pull the battery out. iPhones only give you 3G, and skips to E, rather than go down to 3g.

It's still not working for me, even with it indicating it's on 3G.

Edit: Seems to have started working again after posting this.

Oppo

I've had that happen occasionally, sometimes coming out of the subway. usually you can flick the Airplane mode on/off to goose it. Rogers app only works on 3G so that explains it.. the 'small g' 3G indicator is creepy though, never seen that.

Quick

Banned
I've had that happen occasionally, sometimes coming out of the subway. usually you can flick the Airplane mode on/off to goose it. Rogers app only works on 3G so that explains it.. the 'small g' 3G indicator is creepy though, never seen that.

The small "g" shows up on just Blackberries, I think. Creepy? :p

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
On an iPhone, so I can't pull the battery out. iPhones only give you 3G, and skips to E, rather than go down to 3g.

It's still not working for me, even with it indicating it's on 3G.

Edit: Seems to have started working again after posting this.

You owe me 150 bucks for helping you solve this problem.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Huh...so apparently, the Zellers in Gerrard Square is becoming a Walmart

And I have another year left on my shitty Bell contract....

WHY DID I SIGN A 3 YEAR CONTRACT?!?!?!?!?

Quick

Banned
Huh...so apparently, the Zellers in Gerrard Square is becoming a Walmart

And I have another year left on my shitty Bell contract....

WHY DID I SIGN A 3 YEAR CONTRACT?!?!?!?!?

I'm so glad I'm almost finished with my contract with Rogers. Since I have an unlocked iPhone, I don't need a new phone, so I feel like I have more flexibility when it comes to looking through providers. Sucks that I can't do Wind, though.

FROD PLS

Seems like a fruitless endeavour cutting them up. It's just one set of passes, but why not donate it to a needy family instead? He seems to be taking these financial austerity measures to the extreme.

Yup, he could give those to the members of a youth program in a troubled neighborhood that he refuses to vote to fund!

Or maybe someone can explain to him the benefits of having the leaders of the city show up at the CNE who would not be interested in going if they had to pay

Not everyone has brothers that will buy you a new Escalade for your birthday!

FROD PLS

Seems like a fruitless endeavour cutting them up. It's just one set of passes, but why not donate it to a needy family instead? He seems to be taking these financial austerity measures to the extreme.

But what if they're just freeloading commies? I don't think that's a risk Ford is willing to take.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone know if there's a smoking section thing in the Toronto airport? I have a lay over there for a couple hours today.

Via Pearson's wesbite; Toronto Pearson is a smoke-free facility. Smoking is however permitted outside the terminal buildings in designated areas.

Rinoa

Isn't the key here that the card has to go unused for seven years? I use mine at least twice a year; it'll be a cold day in hell before I get one of the ones that expires.

It's a useful photo ID card for those of us who don't drive. However I notice that yet another photo ID is required for various stuff nowadays, what the heck is a non-driver to do?

Haha I remember my old card, age 7 complete with cray cray babby's first handwriting signature.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's a useful photo ID card for those of us who don't drive. However I notice that yet another photo ID is required for various stuff nowadays, what the heck is a non-driver to do?

My wife doesn't drive, so she has a Ontario Photo Card, that basically serves the same purpose for identification.

I rarely drive these days, but I do keep my license for Zipcar and emergencies.

Top Bottom