• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's a useful photo ID card for those of us who don't drive. However I notice that yet another photo ID is required for various stuff nowadays, what the heck is a non-driver to do?
Ontario Photo Card

Ontario introduced a new photo card that will provide government-issued identification to more than 1.5 million Ontarians who do not drive. The Ontario photo card makes it easier for non-drivers to perform everyday transactions such as cashing a cheque or returning merchandise to a store. The voluntary card was launched on July 25, 2011 and is available to individuals 16 years of age and over who do not hold a driver’s licence.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/photo-card.shtml

EDIT: Also, my sister-in-law had a card from the LCBO that she used to use before she got her driver's license a few years ago but I think it's only good at the LCBO.

http://www.lcbo.com/socialresponsibility/byidcard.shtml

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Isn't the key here that the card has to go unused for seven years? I use mine at least twice a year; it'll be a cold day in hell before I get one of the ones that expires.

Yup seems you're right. In which case my signature lives on!

Rinoa

I thought the Ontario photocard isn't useful for getting other ID though?

I know someone trying to get a passport, and the holdup is needing a citizenship card first, which also needs all this

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#CIT0002E4

Two (2) pieces of personal identification

Both pieces of identification should show your name and date of birth, one of which must have your photo on it.

Examples include:

a Canadian driver’s licence
a Canadian health insurance card

a copy of your passport page containing your photo and personal details, etc.

Would Photocard work for that requirement?

Passport wouldn't be possible for the obvious reason listed above (trying to get a passport).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I thought the Ontario photocard isn't useful for getting other ID though?

I know someone trying to get a passport, and the holdup is needing a citizenship card first, which also needs all this

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#CIT0002E4

Would Photocard work for that requirement?

Passport wouldn't be possible for the obvious reason listed above (trying to get a passport).

Better to reference Passport Canada when it comes to the details.

Adults must submit at least one (1) document to support your identity with a passport application. For a child, only the proof of Canadian citizenship is required.

The adult's identity document must:

be in the same name as will appear in the passport;
include your signature;
be issued by a federal, provincial/territorial/state or municipal authority; and
be valid.
For example:

Provincial or territorial driver's licence
Provincial or territorial non-driver's licence
Provincial or territorial health care card (excluding Alberta, Manitoba and Newfoundland and Labrador)
Other federal, provincial, territorial or municipal identification card
Military identification
Certificate of Indian Status
Old Age Security card
Federal, provincial, territorial or municipal employee identification card
Canadian passport

It'll definitely work 100% of the time.

Boogie

War on
police
cars!

14 months and a few months probation for torching a cruiser. I'll never get use to how short most sentences are in Canada.

One of the things my eyes have been opened to in my four-and-a-half years in my job has been just how broken and absurd our court system is.

From absurd bail allowances ("A Nigerian immigrant charged with importing two kilos of heroin wants his passport back so he can attend the funeral of his father back home in Nigeria? Sure, why not! *two months later* What's that? He didn't come back for his trial? Didn't see that one coming!") to ridiculously lenient sentences, to how grossly inefficient the courts are....

If the average citizen saw half of what goes on, they'd have no faith in the judicial system.

In terms of how inefficient the system is, for example, the Crown will request eight witness officers for a Discovery or Prelim, and we'll all show up. Crown will keep us there for half the day, and then decide, after five hours, that half of us aren't required to testify after all, and can leave. Thus, when all is said and done, wasting three-quarters of a day for four officers who could have been doing some productive work instead.

Then you have gems like this:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...rd-bad-logic-behind-light-caledonia-sentence/

Beat someone half to death? Two year sentence.

Stab your boyfriend to death, charged with second degree murder? Convicted of manslaughter, Three year sentence.

Nothing makes someone a cynic more quickly than following our judicial system. :-/

Fugu

It's a useful photo ID card for those of us who don't drive. However I notice that yet another photo ID is required for various stuff nowadays, what the heck is a non-driver to do?
If I had to provide two pieces of ID for something that I wasn't otherwise prepared for, it wouldn't happen. And I do drive.

ZZMitch

This reminds me, I need to make sure I get started on getting my Canadian passport when I come back to Toronto in September. It takes a few months to get right?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This reminds me, I need to make sure I get started on getting my Canadian passport when I come back to Toronto in September. It takes a few months to get right?

Can take a few days if you are really in a rush. Just be ready to make it rain when it comes to the money for it is all.

ElNino

Nothing makes someone a cynic more quickly than following our judicial system. :-/
I agree Boogie, and this comes from my personal experience.

When I was a teenager, I worked at a retail store and made the terrible decision to steal a couple of video games from our electronics department. I was caught (on video) and received two years probation with 180 hours of community service, which I thought was a fair punishment. I completed my 180 hours in about 4 months and the judge reduced my probation to one year as a result.

However, while I was doing my community service hours I met several people who were convicted of crimes that I felt were far more serious than I had, but I had the highest amount of hours to do and longest probation. Assault with a deadly weapon? 100 hours. Breaking and entering, assault and theft? 120 hours. Multiple DUI? 80 hours. I was shocked to say the least when I heard what some people get. Not to mention, it took almost a year for my relatively simple case to be heard by a judge.

I'm off to the USA this afternoon for over a week... going to Detroit, Tennessee (Dollywood) and then Pittsburgh. These aren't my choices of where I would want to go but I left the planning up to a gay couple that I'll be traveling with and they love campy shit. My wife is hyped to have some time off work too.

bye for now.

Toronto photo of the day:

7666403314_e7583456b2_b.jpg

Fuzzy

One thing I always thought was stupid about the passport office is that it costs you more to pick it up yourself than it does for them to send it to you by registered mail.

Story time: I remember when I was 13 my father got us passports in 2 days because we were going to Portugal at the last minute. What happened was my dad's cousin was getting married and we weren't going to go but then the week before the wedding my dad saw a deal for really cheap (IIRC 60% off everywhere else he saw) so he bought four tickets on Saturday with the flight being on Wednesday. We went and got our pictures taken and then he took our applications in on Monday for the passports and said we needed them ASAP because we were leaving in 2 days. The passport office told him it wouldn't be a problem as long as he showed them proof of the flight. He went down to the travel agency (Dundas, west of Ossington) and got the tickets then back to the passport office (Scarborough Town Centre) right before they closed and showed them. He got the passports on Wednesday right before the office closed and when my dad got home we went straight to the airport. My mom was stressed out that entire day because we didn't get the passports until so late. :lol

Last time (2 years ago) it only took about a week to get my passport.

Rinoa

But he first needs to get a citizenship card which is the requirement before even trying to get a passport. That's why I'm wondering what a non-driver does, citizenship card requirement doesn't mention a provincial photo card as an option, just driver license.

*reads* Considering the year+ long wait for such a card I won't want to take chances, even if someone you call on the phone for info says "SURE SEND IT ON IN".

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It just got OMINOUSLY dark all of a sudden. I am here typing away, trying to master MVC and I am like "Goddamn, it's 9pm already?"

Turn on my floor lamp and it takes me another 5 minutes to look outside.

Scarborough, no rain.

yet.

Willectro

Banned
I need more apartment hunting advice. I'm looking for a decent 1 bedroom apartment in Toronto, within 10-15 minute walk to a subway station. No basements, would prefer a balcony but it's not a deal breaker. Ideally I'd like to pay +/- $1000 a month (utils don't matter either way).

I've literally called about 100 places and they either have no availability or have a 20 person deep wait list. I've been able to apply for a few places but haven't heard back yet. There is a place near Broadview Subway station that I am very hopeful about. Should hear back this week apparently. Are there Real Estate agent type people that can help out with this? Any pro tips? Thanks.

What the hell happened?

I went into a meeting room with no windows for the last hour I come back and it's super dark out. I don't want to play baseball in this. :(

Massive storm in Richmond Hill. It looked sun-setty and then it felt like a bucket of water fell from the sky lol. The electricity went out for about a few seconds. It was crazy. It's more calm now but it's still raining. The thunder is still roaring.

Shit still hasn't hit downtown I see.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Its bananas out there. Just glad it's raining hard now, by the time I leave work it should have died down a hefty amount.

Fuzzy

Ok this ranked thing is getting stupid:

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...ed-ballot-election-system-and-it-s-about-time

The system being proposed is IRV and it's a horrible horrible system, just as bad as the current one.
I don't agree. It avoids a third person winning an election just because two other candidates split the vote due to similar platforms/ideologies. It's better than what we currently have.

EDIT: Without political parties at the municipal level it's not like they can have proportional representation so what would you rather they have?

I'm west of the city and got DRENCHED in about 5 seconds. Went out to put the windows up on my car, and by the time the rain hit sideways right after that. Totally soaked. Good times.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I need more apartment hunting advice. I'm looking for a decent 1 bedroom apartment in Toronto, within 10-15 minute walk to a subway station. No basements, would prefer a balcony but it's not a deal breaker. Ideally I'd like to pay +/- $1000 a month (utils don't matter either way).

I've literally called about 100 places and they either have no availability or have a 20 person deep wait list. I've been able to apply for a few places but haven't heard back yet. There is a place near Broadview Subway station that I am very hopeful about. Should hear back this week apparently. Are there Real Estate agent type people that can help out with this? Any pro tips? Thanks.

Haven't really heard of anybody doing that. Seems like it would just cost more money in the end.

Try this site:

Realtor.ca

Though it looks like it's mostly basements in that price range.

I can't tell if this one is a basement or not:

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12257640&PidKey=-1010636890

Fuzzy

I need to go to Future Shop to return my $20 copy of Kingdom Hearts 3DS and trade in my $10 copy of Mario 3DL for Kingdom Hearts 3DS (I'm such a cheapskate :p) but I don't want to go out in this rain.

Azih

I don't agree. It avoids a third person winning an election just because two other candidates split the vote due to similar platforms/ideologies. It's better than what we currently have.
That barely ever happens in municipal politics. Most races with incumbents see Councillors get re-elected with majorities in which case FPTP and IRV are identical and when they don't win with outright majorities they come very close and would need only a very few second or third place votes to get above 50% (identical again).

If we were talking about this for MAYOR then I would be meh on the whole thing. But City Council (which is what they're talking about) is a completely different situation.

EDIT: Without political parties at the municipal level it's not like they can have proportional representation so what would you rather they have?
PR isn't about parties. Parties just make proportionality easy to track. STV is a proportional system and doesn't require parties.

Fuzzy

That barely ever happens in municipal politics. Most races with incumbents see Councillors get re-elected with majorities in which case FPTP and IRV are identical and when they don't win with outright majorities they come very close and would need only a very few second or third place votes to get above 50% (identical again).

If we were talking about this for MAYOR then I would be meh on the whole thing. But City Council (which is what they're talking about) is a completely different situation.
People who were elected the last election with less than a third of the vote in their ward:

James Pasternak Ward 10 - 19%
Frank Di Giorgio Ward 12 - 27%
John Parker Ward 26 - 31%
Kristyn Wong-Tam Ward 27 - 28%
Gary Crawford Ward 36 - 25%

That's disgusting and IRV would have been better in those cases. That's not even taking into account the other wards where they were decided by a couple of hundred votes in the current system and it may have changed who was elected.

It doesn't even have anything to do with the Mayoral election (although I think it should follow the same rules).

PR isn't about parties. Parties just make proportionality easy to track. STV is a proportional system and doesn't require parties.
How would STV work in a Toronto Municipal Election? Are you suggesting that all 44 wards be lumped together in order for STV to actually work? If not then where/who would the surplus votes from a winning candidate be transferred to? I'm curious because I don't understand.

Spl1nter

People who were elected the last election with less than a third of the vote in their ward:

I knew I should of ran in my riding.

Azih

That's disgusting and IRV would have been better in those cases.
Everyone else got even fewer first choice votes you realize right? Is everyone disgusting as a representative then? Splintered wards will remain splintered wards no matter what the voting system is. The problem isn't that no one got more than 50% of the vote. The problem is that a lot of voters vote in significant numbers for people that don't get elected and their points of view don't get reflected in the makeup of the governing body that is supposed to represent them.

All IRV does in these cases is make it *seem* like there's a consensus among the voters when there absolutely isn't while the results remain broadly similar.

Look let's take the James Pasternak case. What if after five rounds of counting he ends up winning. Does that make his victory any more legitimate? It's the exact same situation as before. Or alternatively let's say after four rounds of counting some candidate who was the actual first choice of only 11% of the voters squeezed through with 50+1. Does that mean that this candidate somehow magically gets the ability to represent everyone (even though only 11% actually want him and 49% absolutely don't)? It merely seems better in some ways but the real problem (that very many voters are not represented on council by who they really want) remains unsolved.

It doesn't even have anything to do with the Mayoral election (although I think it should follow the same rules).
A single office position like Mayor is a completely different situation than a representative body and they absolutely shouldn't follow the same rules. A representative body is supposed to represent the diversity of the voting body (which is something a single person obviously cannot do) and there are voting rules that can make that happen. Different positions, different responsibilities, different solutions.

How would STV work in a Toronto Municipal Election? Are you suggesting that all 44 wards be lumped together in order for STV to actually work?
STV works by electing multiple people from within a district. So the ridings would be larger than FPTP ridings of course but they certainly don't need to as large as the whole city.

In very dense areas of the city such as Wong Tams you could combine the wards so that seven candidates would get elected from onecompetition in the larger area as opposed to seven separate smaller elections. Other areas would be split up so that five candidates would be elected from the area and for particularly sparse areas (such as the outer suburbs) the entire area would elect three. Typically three and five candidates per area is the standard with very dense areas going to seven. Obviously the larger the number of winners per competition the more proportional it would be but even 3 is a huge improvement than the current situation.

Because what this does is that voters that are a minority in their region have a chance of banding together and at least electing 1 of 3, or maybe 2 of 5 of the representatives instead of getting jack squat. Etobicoke would start representing more of it's lefty citizens while downtown would represent more of it's right wing ones. That's healthy. Not IRV manufacturing a compromise candidate out of a formula in a few cases while returning the same damn candidates as FPTP in most.

Top Bottom