• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Okay that makes sense but I'm worried it would kill smaller candidates because they would have to canvas a much larger area than they do right now. It would also create elections where 50+ candidates are fighting for 1 of 5 spots within that larger region. Want to really confuse voters? Have an election where they have a choice between 50+ different people. Right now it's bad enough when Ward 27 (Wong-Tam) had 15 candidates.

I'm fine with IRV where 50% + 1 of the people would rather candidate A wins than candidate B.

Magnus

Would it be acceptable to do a For Sale post in here, and/or a Free to a Good Home post?

I wanna finally round up all my extraneous belongings and deal with them, but I absolutely loathe the hassle of shipping (extra expenses, wait times, uncertainty, etc.) and would rather just deal with local GAF'ers.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Would it be acceptable to do a For Sale post in here, and/or a Free to a Good Home post?

I wanna finally round up all my extraneous belongings and deal with them, but I absolutely loathe the hassle of shipping (extra expenses, wait times, uncertainty, etc.) and would rather just deal with local GAF'ers.
I've done it in the past for games that I got for cheap instead of returning it to the store.

EDIT: Oh yeah, dibs on everything good. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Super crazy random post. I have a bunch of old game magazines that I'm going to throw out, but I was wondering if anyone here would want them for any reason. I posted in the Free to a Good Home thread, but I figure I'd try the local thread as well.

Probably the noteworthy mags I'm tossing are PC Gamers/a couple of CGW issues from 98-99 (when these things were hundreds of pages) and a run of Edge Magazine from 08-10 (I'm missing a couple unfortunately).

It seems like a waste to just get rid of these - especially the Edge issues, since they're so nice and I like the Time Extend/Making Of features, but they're also just taking up space at this point.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Super crazy random post. I have a bunch of old game magazines that I'm going to throw out, but I was wondering if anyone here would want them for any reason. I posted in the Free to a Good Home thread, but I figure I'd try the local thread as well.

Probably the noteworthy mags I'm tossing are PC Gamers/a couple of CGW issues from 98-99 (when these things were hundreds of pages) and a run of Edge Magazine from 08-10 (I'm missing a couple unfortunately).

It seems like a waste to just get rid of these - especially the Edge issues, since they're so nice and I like the Time Extend/Making Of features, but they're also just taking up space at this point.

Maybe donate them to a library?

Roto13

I love gaming magazines. :p But I don't think I can come up with an excuse to have them in my apartment.

Fugu

I'll take the PC gamers and the CGW magazines; where are you located?

The theme of today seems to be cumulonimbus clouds. The weather is about to get nasty, folks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll take the PC gamers and the CGW magazines; where are you located?

The theme of today seems to be cumulonimbus clouds. The weather is about to get nasty, folks.
I'm in the Pape and Danforth area. I'll try to see if I have any other missing issues, since the ones that I do have seem totally random. lol

Willectro

Banned
I need more apartment hunting advice. I'm looking for a decent 1 bedroom apartment in Toronto, within 10-15 minute walk to a subway station. No basements, would prefer a balcony but it's not a deal breaker. Ideally I'd like to pay +/- $1000 a month (utils don't matter either way).

I've literally called about 100 places and they either have no availability or have a 20 person deep wait list. I've been able to apply for a few places but haven't heard back yet. There is a place near Broadview Subway station that I am very hopeful about. Should hear back this week apparently. Are there Real Estate agent type people that can help out with this? Any pro tips? Thanks.

A landlord, who I submitted an application to, emailed me to request a letter of employment. I'm thinking that's a good sign.

Quadratic

I work for the TPL. If you donate them to a library they will be sold at booksale or thrown out. Probably the latter since they are so old. If those scenarios don't float your boat I suggest selling them at a yardsale or giving them to a friend.

Space is a huge issue when it comes to periodicals. Most branches cull back issues 12 months for a yearly and 6 months for a weekly.

There's no point adding them to circulation since they are old back issues that probably won't be borrowed, and a branch stats (circulation) are vital to their funding for the next fiscal year. It's not really worth it.

Not saying you were considering donating them to the library as Divvy suggested.

Willectro

Banned

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40383480&postcount=1297

He did say "90's".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, Fugu here is interested at least so that'll be easier if that works out. I don't think a normal person is willing to pay to receive a chunk of magazines anyway. lol

The guy talks about archive sites, of which there are a few, but none of them have CGW or PC Gamer issues. I don't think anyone even owns CGW anymore (Does Ziff publishing still exist as an entity?) so I just wonder if they're rare or something. Maybe Future has a stick up its butt about seeing old PC Gamers up online for free.

I work for the TPL. If you donate them to a library they will be sold at booksale or thrown out. Probably the latter since they are so old. If those scenarios don't float your boat I suggest selling them at a yardsale or giving them to a friend.

Space is a huge issue when it comes to periodicals. Most branches cull back issues 12 months for a yearly and 6 months for a weekly.

There's no point adding them to circulation since they are old back issues that probably won't be borrowed, and a branch stats (circulation) are vital to their funding for the next fiscal year. It's not really worth it.

Not saying you were considering donating them to the library as Divvy suggested.
Does TPL do the thing that university libraries do and bind issues together into one mega book that can be shelved? It'd be nice to go to the reference library and flip through a giant tome that represents a year of Edge or whatever.

But yeah, it makes sense that the library really has no use for magazines after they're done. It's just that they'll have interesting articles and whatnot that are worth "preserving" but there's no real way to do it because magazines aren't treated like academic journals unfortunately.

Quadratic

Yes the Toronto Reference Library binds TIME, MACLEANS and a few other magazines for storage in their stacks. The librarians there have overall control of that so I doubt Edge or something similar would get bound. They are under the same space issues as a neighbourhood branch. I mean if there were no space limitations I think there's a possibility. Most of the librarians I've met are huge packrats and hate culling anything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes the Toronto Reference Library binds TIME, MACLEANS and a few other magazines for storage in their stacks. The librarians there have overall control of that so I doubt Edge or something similar would get bound. They are under the same space issues as a neighbourhood branch. I mean if there were no space limitations I think there's a possibility. Most of the librarians I've met are huge packrats and hate culling anything.
That makes sense. It's just that the worst part is that magazines are so transient, once they're gone, they're pretty much gone.

Divvy

I know there are some people here that were looking for a wind phone plan. Their back to school deal just leaked:

WIND Mobile Back-to-School promo starts Thursday August 2nd, Price: $29/month
- Unlimited data
- Unlimited local calling
- Unlimited Canada-wide text
- Call control (caller ID, missed call alerts, call waiting, call hold, call forwarding and conference calling), no voicemail
Customers are eligible for the WINDTab at $200 and the “Better Together Savings,” and the plans are good for life.

There is actually a nearly complete CGW archive.

I am interested in them though, as I'm a huge fan of CGW and that era of PC gaming.

I think I have a ton of those as well. Plus some older console ones...a few weeks ago I came across an issue of Computers & Video Games that had a hologram on the cover announcing a new game called "Sonic The Hedgehog".

Time flies.

I also have a ton of old issues of Heavy Metal. Does anybody know if any shops still have an interest in things like that?

Divvy

D:

TzsXD.jpg

Azih

Okay that makes sense but I'm worried it would kill smaller candidates because they would have to canvas a much larger area than they do right now.
Actual experience of STV and IRV shows that STV is much better for getting smaller candidates elected. It's proportional after all, if a candidate gets a reasonable number of votes, they get elected.

And IRV is just as bad as FPTP for smaller candidates. I mean look, the standard of getting elected in FPTP is to get more votes than everybody else in a single competition. What kind of candidate can do that? One that is well connected, or well funded, or well known. The standard for getting elected in Alternate Vote is to get more than 50% of the vote. What kind of candidate can do that?... Well one that is well connected, or well funded, or well known. Big diff huh? In some situations IRV will elect a different candidate sure, but outside of the rare phenomenal candidates who come from nothing and explode small candidates do not win in either system.

In STV the standard to get elected to is get a number of people to vote for you that's higher than the threshold for that district (more than 25% of the vote for 3 member districts, more than 16.6% for 5 member, more than 12.5 for seven member). That opens up the franchise tremendously.

Edit: The other point is that smaller candidates can choose to focus their campaign on their base of support and not have to hit all areas of their geography to get elected (since they no longer have to get more votes than EVERYBODY one way or the other to get elected) . The larger district for STV being bad for small candidates is one that doesn't hold any water.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
But seriously any recommendations on good/safe routes (particularly near nature)

Google Maps, while not always reliable for bicycle routes, might be a good way to plan specifics.

But NY has a trail called Canalway Trail- Erie Canal Heritage Trail that will take you up from NYC to Albany, cutting across Upstate until you reach Niagara Falls / Buffalo. You can ride across the Peace Bridge, or Rainbow Bridge with your bicycle / walk, but I don't believe you can with the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge (furthest bridge north). Border crossing for people biking, or walking is really a short wait compared to driving over, so it shouldn't matter when you cross and there is no toll.

Once you're on the Canadian side, you're basically going to be mirroring the major expressway (and the lake) via Service Roads, which are well paved.

If you want a different route on your way back, you could go up further in Ontario to Kingston and then head south back into the States from there. It would definitely be the more scenic route and more rural.

Alternatively, if you want to go off the beaten path, you can just ride up until you hit the lake in NY. But once you cross over to Ontario, it's much more heavily industrialized than most of upstate / western NY (ie; anything near the water won't feel very 'natural'). If you did want to see some more awesome nature filled areas though, Hamilton, Ontario (which you'll be going through) has a bunch of beautiful conservation areas.

Spl1nter

I know you can follow bike paths all the way from the Humber in Toronto to Hamilton. Of course some parts you go along roads but its mostly bike path.

Gabroni

Banned
Google Maps, while not always reliable for bicycle routes, might be a good way to plan specifics.

But NY has a trail called Canalway Trail- Erie Canal Heritage Trail that will take you up from NYC to Albany, cutting across Upstate until you reach Niagara Falls / Buffalo. You can ride across the Peace Bridge, or Rainbow Bridge with your bicycle / walk, but I don't believe you can with the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge (furthest bridge north). Border crossing for people biking, or walking is really a short wait compared to driving over, so it shouldn't matter when you cross and there is no toll.

Once you're on the Canadian side, you're basically going to be mirroring the major expressway (and the lake) via Service Roads, which are well paved.

If you want a different route on your way back, you could go up further in Ontario to Kingston and then head south back into the States from there. It would definitely be the more scenic route and more rural.

Alternatively, if you want to go off the beaten path, you can just ride up until you hit the lake in NY. But once you cross over to Ontario, it's much more heavily industrialized than most of upstate / western NY (ie; anything near the water won't feel very 'natural'). If you did want to see some more awesome nature filled areas though, Hamilton, Ontario (which you'll be going through) has a bunch of beautiful conservation areas.

Sounds awesome! Time to plan and research hotels. Is my money still good in Canada or should I exchange my currency? (too many different answers on google)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sounds awesome! Time to plan and research hotels. Is my money still good in Canada or should I exchange my currency? (too many different answers on google)

Most places will let you use US cash for a 1:1 ratio (some places won't take anything larger than a $20) You'll get your change back in Canadian currency in most cases. If you have a debit card, TD and BMO ATMs will let you withdraw Canadian cash from an American debit. But you're not going to go hungry if you've only got American cash.

I know you can follow bike paths all the way from the Humber in Toronto to Hamilton. Of course some parts you go along roads but its mostly bike path.

Yeah, the waterfront path is pretty nice for the most part. Always loved walking along it in Burlington.

Fugu

Very few places will take American bills larger than a $20, some won't take it at all. In my experience, you also won't get a favourable exchange most of the time. I would just exchange it beforehand.

Azih

Very few places will take American bills larger than a $20, some won't take it at all. In my experience, you also won't get a favourable exchange most of the time. I would just exchange it beforehand.

Or use a credit card or withdraw canadian cash from an ATM using debit

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
At five guys at eglinton and warden now

Not bad place.

Service was decent. I heard they dump fries in your bag and they definitely did that so I got a LOT of them.

A cut above the regular fast food franchises and I would go to this over Wendy's or Hero Burger, but it's not worth a trip out here for it alone.

Burger was juicy and the toppings were decent. Nothing was overloaded and ratio was good. Fries were decent as well.

My cousin didn't like the crispy bacon, but I didn't mind. Go only if you're in the area

Gabroni

Banned
Does anyone here attend TCAF (Toronto Comic Art Fest) or Ottawa International Animation Festival

Definitely more fun to couch surf and go to places with like minded people~

Why I would be good:
-great with kids and animals (babysat cousins when they were in diapers/takes care of my mate's pets when they va-kay)
-mild OCD for cleanliness and organization (the dirty dishes will be clean before you even get up)
-artsy-fartsy (sorry site has updated due to vacation and illness)
-owns a folding bike
-cool with paying "rent"
-can cook vegan or omnivore
  • French
  • Italian
  • desserts
  • fish (mostly eel and salmon)
  • steak
  • Japanese

(PM if seriously into this)

Divvy

I've been to the Ottawa animation festival the last three years. Ill probbably go back this year since I have a bunch of friends there.

To add: The best thing to do is to go to your bank in advance of your trip and say you'd like to purchase Canadian currency.

Otherwise, look at the back of your bank card. If it has PLUS or Cirrus symbols on it, it means that you can withdraw cash at any ATM in any country with those symbols - as others have suggested. Charges and exchange rates apply, but you'll get some cash. Advise your bank that you will be travelling in order that your account doesn't get frozen if you decide to go this route.

USD/CAD Coins under $1 are interchangeable and nobody will put up a fight. You should not use American bills here, though, particularly if you're venturing outside of Niagara Falls and downtown Toronto. Most retailers frown upon it. And, you don't want to be that guy.

And as a sidebar to EM: The parts of Hamilton along the Niagara Escarpment trail are the most scenic. Outside those areas, Hamilton's called "Steeltown" for a reason. The Niagara Escarpment extends up from Niagara Falls all the way to the north end of the Bruce Peninsula. I highly recommend getting a trail map and picking out some cool spots. The trails up by Owen Sound (rather a distance from TO, but not much farther than Kingston would be, if you're into that) surround the south end of Georgian Bay and provide some great views. Plus, if you like small towns with cool names, there's lots to choose from on your way up. Tara, Clifford, Damascus...or, closer to Kitchener, there's Punkeydoodle's Corners...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Toronto has a lot of great street art.. and sadly.. a lot of terrible tags all over private property and everything else.

Megaman along College St on the west end.

iZjMu4p4V6dRq.png

And of course Queen St, west of Spadina has a lot of allies with great art.

ibq3xJW84A4Qt7.jpg

Willectro

Banned
I am happy to say I have been approved to move into a new apartment near Broadview and Danforth. I'm so glad the "rat race" is finally over. I'm currently living in a basement apartment, so this is going to be a huge upgrade.

E-DuB

If you're talking about street art, you have to include the buildings on the south side of Bloor st. when you're passing through Keele Station. The images they come up with are always insane.

Also I've never seen that Megaman before. I'm going to have to check it out at some point.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I am happy to say I have been approved to move into a new apartment near Broadview and Danforth. I'm so glad the "rat race" is finally over. I'm currently living in a basement apartment, so this is going to be a huge upgrade.

Congrats. Basement apartments are generally a nightmare.

Willectro

Banned
Congrats. Basement apartments are generally a nightmare.

Thank you, and yes they are a nightmare. But considering it was my first apartment and I had a crappy job when I moved to Toronto, it served me well. I would advise anyone against getting a basement apartment, if possible.

Dyno

Yes guy! Congratulations!

You are moving into an area that is awesome for food! My favourite Greek restaurant in your neighbourhood is Kalvyia (420 Danforth) but there are several that are good. Also you have The Auld Spot (347 Danforth) which is a pub with seriously good eats.

All this fancy dining out means you should get on a health kick at home. This is easy because Carrot Common (348 Danforth) is a plaza catering to health food and wellness. You can buy organic and natural foods there. It's a very big plus.

It's also a great neighbourhood to use a bike. You are right beside the Bloor Viaduct which has a bike lane. Cross it and you will be at Bloor & Yonge in two minutes. From there you can go south on Yonge St. for ten minutes and you will be at the Eaton Centre.

If you bike south on Broadview or any of the other north/south streets east of Broadview you can get to Clarke Beach Park, Tommy Thompson Park, Ashbridge's Bay Park, Woodbine Beach, and The Beaches with minimal fuss.

I know you had trouble finding a place but you actually scored quite nicely. Enjoy your new digs! Next Toronto GAF meet-up should be in your neighbourhood!

Willectro

Banned
Yes guy! Congratulations!

You are moving into an area that is awesome for food! My favourite Greek restaurant in your neighbourhood is Kalvyia (420 Danforth) but there are several that are good. Also you have The Auld Spot (347 Danforth) which is a pub with seriously good eats.

All this fancy dining out means you should get on a health kick at home. This is easy because Carrot Common (348 Danforth) is a plaza catering to health food and wellness. You can buy organic and natural foods there. It's a very big plus.

It's also a great neighbourhood to use a bike. You are right beside the Bloor Viaduct which has a bike lane. Cross it and you will be at Bloor & Yonge in two minutes. From there you can go south on Yonge St. for ten minutes and you will be at the Eaton Centre.

If you bike south on Broadview or any of the other north/south streets east of Broadview you can get to Clarke Beach Park, Tommy Thompson Park, Ashbridge's Bay Park, Woodbine Beach, and The Beaches with minimal fuss.

I know you had trouble finding a place but you actually scored quite nicely. Enjoy your new digs! Next Toronto GAF meet-up should be in your neighbourhood!

Thanks dude! I've been in my current basement apartment at Pape and Danforth for a little over a year now. The fact I haven't been to any of the places you've mentioned is a bit embarassing, lol. I do frequent Messini though. I feel like a need a break from being downtown all the time, so I'll probably explore some of your suggestions.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks dude! I've been in my current basement apartment at Pape and Danforth for a little over a year now. The fact I haven't been to any of the places you've mentioned is a bit embarassing, lol. I do frequent Messini though. I feel like a need a break from being downtown all the time, so I'll probably explore some of your suggestions.
Messini and Pantheon are the best on the Danforth.

Top Bottom