• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Magik

Usually companies deal with wage compression by re-positioning you on their pay grids

Someone who I worked with constantly fought to get like $2.50 above min wage ... But when Ontario started radically increasing the minimum wage... It's like she was back where she started

Minimum wage should be $20

I went through the same thing as your coworker did. Being paid a bit more than everyone else felt great because it was a sign to me that my hard work had paid off, but once the min wage increases hit, I felt like I got punched in the gut and thrown back with the rest of the lazy workers.

Also, I'm not sure if making min wage $20 would help as much as people would think. Everything else such as Groceries would see price increases along with it.

whitehawk

Banned
Usually companies deal with wage compression by re-positioning you on their pay grids

Someone who I worked with constantly fought to get like $2.50 above min wage ... But when Ontario started radically increasing the minimum wage... It's like she was back where she started

Minimum wage should be $20
That's why young people get jobs as bartenders/waiters. I work as a bartender sometimes, and when I do I basically make $20 and hour, sometimes more. If I got a job at a real restaurant/bar I would make a lot more too.

It really doesn't. A very large proportion of people qualify for rent stabilization in NYC and pay much less than we pay here, even in Manhattan. If you're in a new building then you're at the mercy of your landlord but if you're in an older building built within a certain time frame and make less than a certain amount of money (like 150k) then you're golden.

This isn't true. My wife lived there for 20 years and half of my friends live there right now. None of them have rent stabilization even though they all make much less than you are saying. Some of them are on the magical "waiting list" for a rent controlled place and have been for almost 10 years. My wife was on that list for 12 years when they finally offered her this horrible place for $1200 a month (the most she has ever paid in Toronto is $850 for one person and we pay $1000 together for the place we split now and none of these places in Toronto are "rent controlled")

From the New York Times:

"In March, the average rent in Manhattan — now $3,418 a month — surpassed the all-time high set in the real estate frenzy of 2007. "

On a brighter note, even though that asshole Mayor Bloomberg is trying to veto a minimum wage increase in New York, there is a lot of pressure to pass one through. So at least they are talking about it.

Anyways, back on topic to the t-dot..
Toronto photo of the day:

7680928852_06f8c972dc_b.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
$20 minimum wage is even above (well above) what would be a 'living wage', and it would cripple a lot of businesses, or as said above, at least cause prices to skyrocket. $14-15 is livable and much more reasonable.

I always found it humours that many of the young developers I worked with lived month to month on their $50-60k salaries, because they couldn't budget at all, didn't put much work in to finding the best rate for their apartment, and couldn't help, but put down $15 for lunch every day.

And yeah, downtown Toronto is nowhere comparable to Manhattan.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Try buying a house in Toronto on $15 an hour

Yeah, but living wage and living the life style I want wage are different things. Businesses shouldn't have to pay unskilled workers $20 per hour for that reason. Living wage should be a reasonable means to housing (apartment), food and well being. You don't need to own a house to live, and many people will never own a house while having a great quality of life.

Imagine how prices would be if store clerks and dishwashers were suddenly making $20 per hour. And what would it do to other positions as a result. Raising the wage up to excessive levels so 'everyone can own a house!' is not the solution.

Minimum wage is laughable, and we should have a living wage. But living wage is just that.

You don't need to own a house to live, and many people will never own a house while having a great quality of life.

Very true. My wife and I rent but we get to live in the Annex which is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in any city. On top of that, we are saving $1000 per month because we are smart with money (don't smoke or buy trendy fashion clothes etc...). We have jobs that are relatively low paying so we can't buy a house or get approved for a mortgage but why should we care if we are living in our favorite neighborhood and are building our savings at a rate of $12,000 per year?
The funny thing is if we did get a mortgage, then we would have to move to a neighborhood that we don't like as much just to afford it. We are very happy to keep renting instead.

Magik

Raising the min wage to $20 an hour isn't going to solve that problem either. Like I said before, the cost of other goods will raise along with it eating up any gains from $20 an hour.

I remember the day that min wage went up to $8.25 or so, all the products in the Dairy department at my grocery store shot up $0.10-0.50 overnight and on top of that, shifts were being either reduced a few hours or were cut entirely to make up for the increase in wages.

But that said, I'm not sure what solution we need to come up with to deal with the cost of living in Toronto. The city is becoming more and more difficult to live in as time go by. If you ain't being nickle and dimed from buying groceries, you're getting it from city fees and what not.

Off-topic, our sports team suck ass as well.

Presco

This isn't true. My wife lived there for 20 years and half of my friends live there right now. None of them have rent stabilization even though they all make much less than you are saying. Some of them are on the magical "waiting list" for a rent controlled place and have been for almost 10 years. My wife was on that list for 12 years when they finally offered her this horrible place for $1200 a month (the most she has ever paid in Toronto is $850 for one person and we pay $1000 together for the place we split now and none of these places in Toronto are "rent controlled")

Hmm, rent control and rent stabilization are two different things. Rent control is only in like 1-2% of NYC places whereas rent stabilization is around 45% of all rentals. That's not to say there wouldn't be an insane waiting list for something decent. And damn, $1000 seems like a great price for TO, especially if it is even halfway decent. My wife and I pay substantially more than that now but even so, I think we've been spoiled here in Toronto with cost of living compared to other cities around the world. We're considering a move to Sweden next year for work and the costs are daunting.

explodet

garbage privatization ceremony
I know those words, but that sign makes no sense.

For reasons to hold a ceremony, "garbage privatization" must rank up there with "watering your neighbour's plants while they're on vacation" and "successfully flossing for one straight week".

Fugu

Wow no if I ever successfully floss for a whole week I'm buying everyone I know dinner.

I don't know about increasing minimum wage in isolation (while I believe that minimum wage should ultimately be set above "liveable" -- assuming full-time work -- you can't just raise minimum wage by itself without using other methods to control the wealth gap and without something to prevent employers from going under and/or screwing their employees) but $10.25 is just too damn low for Toronto, particularly in an environment where full-time work is a godsend.

Increasing minimum wage increases unemployment and underemployment (especially amongst youth), puts a greater percentage of people on minimum wage and increases the cost of living. Having a better redistribution of income or a more union-friendly enviornment will probably go farther than increasing minimum wage.

So other than Gamestops, A&C games, Gameshack and the three Gamecentres, are there any other game stores in the city?

There is Gamerama but I don't always have a good experience there.

Game Mania at Keele and Bloor is new. Their prices are a little high but I hope they succeed. There's also another game store at Bloor and Dufferin, can't remember the name, but it seems decent enough.

There is a Video Games Plus at Keele (& Lawrence?).

Also, that other game store near Yonge and Bloor, but we won't talk about them. Not sure how they stay in business.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Toronto photo of the day:

7689722904_4d4876cdf1_b.jpg

You're so late on this one. Hohoho..

Game Mania at Keele and Bloor is new. Their prices are a little high but I hope they succeed. There's also another game store at Bloor and Dufferin, can't remember the name, but it seems decent enough.

Also, that other game store near Yonge and Bloor, but we won't talk about them. Not sure how they stay in business.

Game Shack in the Atrium on Bay (Bay & Dundas, across from Best Buy) as well.

ElNino

Echoing what other have already said, $15/hour is enough to find a decent place to rent which should be more than enough for most people.

To be honest, anyone even close to minimum wage shouldn't be considering owning property imo. Even if you were approved for a mortgage or had enough savings to buy, the upkeep on owning a property can be significantly more expensive than what you would pay in rent.

Also, if you want to buy you can always look in the 'burbs and commute in if you want (like I and many others do).

Spl1nter

For reasons to hold a ceremony, "garbage privatization" must rank up there with "watering your neighbour's plants while they're on vacation" and "successfully flossing for one straight week".

Personally I call it, "Saving 11.1 million dollars a year by getting rid of a retarded overpowering union that brought it on to themselves". Sounds like a good reason for a ceremony to me.

Increasing minimum wage increases unemployment and underemployment (especially amongst youth), puts a greater percentage of people on minimum wage and increases the cost of living. Having a better redistribution of income or a more union-friendly enviornment will probably go farther than increasing minimum wage.

We dont need a more union-friendly environment. Today's unions are disgusting, bloated, and overpowered organizations.

Man, if they raised minimum wage to $15, they would need to give me a raise. No way I can be paid close to minimum wage for what I do.

Isnt there supposed to be a new mom and pop shop that opened recently? I thought I read it in the gaming deals thread

Quadratic

Back in Toronto after being in Montreal for the past few days. I must say its way less humid here ( I might have missed it ). Also the air conditioned subways are what I missed. The metro there gets really gross.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on the union though.

Our union is pretty weak.

Other unions though...

essential service unions like the police and ttc
government unions like the teachers

bastards...all of ye!

Rinoa

I always found it humours that many of the young developers I worked with lived month to month on their $50-60k salaries, because they couldn't budget at all, didn't put much work in to finding the best rate for their apartment, and couldn't help, but put down $15 for lunch every day.

Don't forget the starbucks and snacks and dinners out, too. I had a friend in USA who despite making like 100k/year was in money problems due to constant eating out. However, he has since changed and lost what looks like 50lbs and super skinny so I'm worried...

MPW

haha nice!

I didn't have the internet with me on my trip but I guess I should have skimmed back..

Hopefully you didn't use all the good ones (like this)! ;)

7697350876_a0900b1424_b.jpg

dude standing ruined the pic

still a great pic

I started off with $7.35 when the minimum was something like $7.75. Tim Horton's, go figure. A friend of mine started with $8.25 when he was hired a couple of months later at another Tim's location. I'm at $11.25 now at my current job, it's alright.

so did I lol

coffee time for me

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They really should be teaching finances in high school. I for one could have spent one less semester reading Shakespeare and one more learning about money and budgeting. Not to mention other stuff like cooking and whatnot.

Rinoa

They really should be teaching finances in high school. I for one could have spent one less semester reading Shakespeare and one more learning about money and budgeting. Not to mention other stuff like cooking and whatnot.

This. Economics or finance classes would have helped, esp since many kids don't have good adult examples to follow. My financial education came from watching suze orman before she was a ~sensation~ of sorts and having cheap ass parents.

Rob Ford had to go to the emergency room tonight, no word what was wrong with him

They called it a stomach/throat thing. I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that it was (is) an ulcer.

But that's just a guess, based on his job, his weight, his diet according to photos of him coming out of KFC, and what little I know of his symptoms.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

We had an entire semester of economics in High School, although I'm not sure it really sunk in for most people and we probably spent too much time playing the fake stock market.

I took economics in OAC, didn't teach us anything about saving money or anything lol

That would have to be a totally different class....

And you could have taken family studies to learn how to cook

Divvy

We had an entire semester of economics in High School, although I'm not sure it really sunk in for most people and we probably spent too much time playing the fake stock market.

I took economics in OAC, didn't teach us anything about saving money or anything lol

That would have to be a totally different class....

And you could have taken family studies to learn how to cook

I know electives exist, but no one really takes them. I'm just saying we should have a mandatory class that teaches stuff that you need to know as an adult. From budgeting, cooking to learning not to put dishwashing soap into the dishwasher.

haha I just watched Canada win the bronze medal in women's soccer with a bunch of Jamaican and Guyanese-Canadians. They were going so crazy when that goal went in.
I love this city.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anybody else notice that substantial chunks of Toronto streets are missing in google maps?

Example: http://goo.gl/maps/dFGT4

Or is it just me?

Yes, our coverage isn't quite as inclusive as some other cities in the States, but they are working on (this summer) shooting some of the smaller side streets and alleyways. At least most of the photos from Toronto are clear and good looking. A lot of Google Map footage is blurry and terrible.

Dyno

Just can't get by on 40 x $10.25. Just can't.

I feel really bad for younger people entering the workforce.

My first full-time job was a security guard making $10.00/hr. That was back in 1990... 22 years ago. Wages haven't really gone anywhere for a couple decades now.

Quick

Banned
Yes, our coverage isn't quite as inclusive as some other cities in the States, but they are working on (this summer) shooting some of the smaller side streets and alleyways. At least most of the photos from Toronto are clear and good looking. A lot of Google Map footage is blurry and terrible.

It's about the same on the iOS 6 Maps app. However, they did get 3D satellite view working for downtown. I was entertained with spinning around the CN Tower for about a minute, lol.

Divvy

For anyone who needs a new phone, they just dropped the Galaxy Nexus to 300 dollars outright at Mobilicity. It's a pretty fantastic deal for a phone that you can use on any network.

Top Bottom