• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

BKXB

Economist
No, I mean I'm literally missing streets in the normal map view. It certainly didn't look like this before. I wonder if I screwed something up using the "My Maps" function...?

my0Je.jpg

Red = Where'd the street go?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
No, I mean I'm literally missing streets in the normal map view. It certainly didn't look like this before. I wonder if I screwed something up using the "My Maps" function...?

http://i.imgur.com/my0Je.jpg

Red = Where'd the street go?
It's not just you and it's not just downtown. There are a few parts in north Scarborough and Markham that are missing parts of the streets like that.

Looks like that for me too. Streetview still works on the missing parts. Interesting.
What's funny is as soon as you grab the little guy the missing parts of the streets show up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Some sort of weird interactive art going up on the Humber Bridge, although it's unveiling has been delayed until next week because of the rain.

jZGFILH25ATnC.png

Privatization, fuck yeah!

Three days after a private company began collecting garbage between Yonge St. and the Humber River, its chief executive clashed with Mayor Rob Ford’s administration and the city’s waste chief over how long it should be forgiven for missing pickup deadlines.

It will take four to six weeks for Green for Life Environmental Corp. to start meeting the 6 p.m. daily deadline in its seven-year contract, said CEO Patrick Dovigi.

Six weeks is unacceptable, responded solid waste general manager Jim Harnum. The city will consider imposing financial penalties after four.

“We’ve talked about the four weeks. We’ve gotta get things done by four weeks. He’s giving himself a bit of leeway there,” Harnum said in an interview.

Dovigi was unrepentant when told of Harnum’s comments. “The city can do what they want. I don’t make decisions for the city,” he said in a text message.

The friction emerged on GFL’s third day of work west of Yonge and east of Etobicoke. GFL trucks continued to rumble down residential streets past 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Rinoa

What a mess, and waiting till night for your garbage to be picked up = really annoying with it clogging up the sidewalks + noise waking you up god knows when... not to mention the animals running loose with all that garbage out waiting.

Wait, so it was privatized in the Annex too? I noticed the other day how horrible a job the garbage collectors were doing compared to what I was used to but I didn't realize it had been privatized. That is really funny.

Toronto photo of the day:

7405270698_1646e2df3c_b.jpg

Conflicted about this. On one hand, shitty service on the other hand shitty union.

Personally, I'm no big fan of privatization of public services, but out in Oakville garbage collection was privatized something like a decade ago, and it's no different from how it used to be.

Now, the city is pretty dense, can be pretty complicated to get around, so having initial hiccups like this can be forgivable. I mean, the previous collectors have been driving those routes forever.

Willectro

Banned
Personally, I'm no big fan of privatization of public services, but out in Oakville garbage collection was privatized something like a decade ago, and it's no different from how it used to be.

Now, the city is pretty dense, can be pretty complicated to get around, so having initial hiccups like this can be forgivable. I mean, the previous collectors have been driving those routes forever.

Exactly.

I'm pretty neutral in terms of union vs. private, but one thing people need to realize is that unions aren't as bad as they seem. I would rather have people paid well and have good benefits and in turn that money is put right back into our own local economy. Unions allow for this to happen. However, when issues like the garbage strike arise, the union gets a bad rap (rightfully so).

I find our society really has this mentality of "Oh my job/life sucks, so no one else should be able to have a job that pays well." This is just a poor way to look at things. Having meaningful employment and good wages both builds our economy and curbs many social issues. I think many people who don't know a lot about unions think that they are all about strikes, being lazy, and getting away with murder. This just isn't the case. Unfortunately in Ontario, the unions haven't had the greatest track record (lol TTC), but I think the overall concept is positive.

The main problem with this is that they're too efficient. They typically arrive at my house by about 6:15 on pick-up day.

I always put my garbaggio out at night. No way in hell doing on the morning on way to work.

My neighbourhood is Raccoon City.
But with real raccoons, not zombies or someone running down the side of city hall

Every single time I've put the recycling or garbage out at night I have a huge mess the next morning, and now that I'm more careful I notice my neighbours cleaning up the same thing each morning.

Edit: added_time, I say "garbaggio" as well. You and Rinoa are not alone.

The main problem with this is that they're too efficient. They typically arrive at my house by about 6:15 on pick-up day.

Ya, when I was living with my dad he'd ask me to take out the garbage in the morning. Sometimes they'd come too early, my lazy ass would miss the truck, and we'd have to wait two weeks for the next pickup.

Anyway, some dude just got shot on the train tracks right by where I live. I heard the gunshots, but thought they were construction.

Ugh, I might be on CityNews. (They put a mic in my face. I'm horrible at saying no.)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
For anyone who needs a new phone, they just dropped the Galaxy Nexus to 300 dollars outright at Mobilicity. It's a pretty fantastic deal for a phone that you can use on any network.

I got one a little while ago, so happy about the purchase. Buhbye vibrant.

Also Ray Kurzweil is coming to Toronto!

I am totally going to go, he's one of my 'idols' I think. I don't actually idolize him, but he was one of the first people to really talk about the future in the context of 'getting ready for some crazy shit'. Super exciting.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/first-wee...lection-terrible-says-solid-waste-gm-1.910104

The city has received almost one thousand complaints during the first week of privatized garbage collection in Toronto, but the general manager of solid waste said some issues are to be expected as drivers and staff learn new routes.

The city switched garbage collection for 165,000 homes west of Yonge Street from unionized city-run pick up to private collection provided by Green For Life, starting on Tuesday.

Since then, the city has registered about 900 complaints, with homes reporting missed or late pickup.

Going to be 901 complaints in a few minutes.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly.

I'm pretty neutral in terms of union vs. private, but one thing people need to realize is that unions aren't as bad as they seem. I would rather have people paid well and have good benefits and in turn that money is put right back into our own local economy. Unions allow for this to happen. However, when issues like the garbage strike arise, the union gets a bad rap (rightfully so).

I find our society really has this mentality of "Oh my job/life sucks, so no one else should be able to have a job that pays well." This is just a poor way to look at things. Having meaningful employment and good wages both builds our economy and curbs many social issues. I think many people who don't know a lot about unions think that they are all about strikes, being lazy, and getting away with murder. This just isn't the case. Unfortunately in Ontario, the unions haven't had the greatest track record (lol TTC), but I think the overall concept is positive.
I don't mind having people get decent wages. I DO mind when you hold the city hostage because a bunch of babies didn't get what they wanted (ttc).

I would be more forgiving had they continued negotiations while working. Contract was good enough for the past 5 years or whatever suddenly isn't good enough for a few more weeks/months?

The garbage strike was worse when you had to drop off your own garbage and were made to wait for no reason other than 'that's how things work'. Incredibly rude fuckfaces and I hope they're disbanded. Just cause you got a beef with a city you gotta take it out on ordinary citizens?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I got one a little while ago, so happy about the purchase. Buhbye vibrant.

Also Ray Kurzweil is coming to Toronto!

I am totally going to go, he's one of my 'idols' I think. I don't actually idolize him, but he was one of the first people to really talk about the future in the context of 'getting ready for some crazy shit'. Super exciting.

Oh shit Ray Kurzweil! I'm with you, he introduced me to the idea of Futurism and yeah its really exciting.

I remember finding out about him from the Our Lady Peace album inspired by him.

Quick

Banned
I was on MTV Canada once and I wanted to kill myself.

Me too.

I was on an episode of MTV Live back 5 years ago or so. Friend of mine got to talk on the mic, and I was on camera a few times just smiling and listening to the discussion. We were there during a "live" concert segment, which consisted of us sitting in that same area, watching that "live" concert pre-taped on screen, where they grabbed four of the audience members to stand on the balcony to be green screened onto that pre-taped concert, pretending to be there live and enjoying it.

whitehawk

Banned
You guys were on Video and Arcade top 10? Haha you guys are old. I remember that show though, such terrible prizes. Kids game shows never had great prizes though. Remember UH OH!

6YOr7.jpg

Stet

Banned
I subscribed to Nicholas Picholas on Facebook until I realized that these days he just talks about his family a lot.

When I was on it I remember the taping going fast

Stupid super scope battleclash, I was so bad at that game =/

My cousin got to play A Link to the Past........if I had been given that game I would have destroyed everyone as I had already played a great deal of it at my friend's house

Quick

Banned
So FanExpo is a few weeks away. Who's going? Also, David Hayer (Solid Snake) is apprently going to be there.

Bought tickets for Saturday and Sunday. I went to all four days last year, which was honestly a terrible idea.

Nice. He'll probably charge a lot for signing my games, though. :(

I'm going. In costume, even. I've been growing my beard for it for weeks now and it's super annoying. :p

Who are you going to be?

Screw Hayter, Patrick Stewart is going to be there!

Nope. He backed out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bus driver on the 77 Route this afternoon was a hilarious asshole. He stopped at least three people to carefully examine their transfers, and kicked one tourist off the bus for not understanding the system (she got her transfer from the same station, not allowed). And he was doing about half the speed limit the entire length of the ride. I hope he's not a new regular on the route. :(

Top Bottom