• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Slo

Hi guys, I'm planning my next vacation for Toronto/Niagra, and I'm wishing the OP had a section for Brew Pubs, Irish/English Pubs, or other nightlife. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi guys, I'm planning my next vacation for Toronto/Niagra, and I'm wishing the OP had a section for Brew Pubs, Irish/English Pubs, or other nightlife. Anyone have any suggestions?

The Wheat Sheaf is Toronto's oldest. It's a little dive-ey now, but has a good selection of on-tap beers and lots of TVs playing lots of footy in the summertime.

Victory Cafe also has a great selection and if you're into the boho vibe, does poetry and music stuff in their upstairs area. At least, they used to.

C'est What is a nightlife hangout for local 20-somethings. Again, decent selection, and a huge basement space right downtown. Good food, too, for a pub/bar.

The Queen and Beaver is an English pub gone upscale. Haven't been there myself but I've heard good things about the food. Including but not limited to the Scotch eggs.

Duggan's is a local brewer with restaurant attached. The food is good stuff - duck confit poutine, for one thing - and they have some great beer pairings. Last I checked they also had a nice variety of scotch, too.

Mill Street is another local brewer with a nice variety of their own brews. Down in the Distillery District, it's got a really good neighbourhood vibe and the eclectic surroundings are fun to explore pre-drink.

McVeigh's is an iconic Toronto Irish Pub, though I hesitate to suggest it because it looks like a dive. The food is decent but this is a place you go for booze.

Fynn's of Temple Bar is an Irish-inspired place. On Friday nights there's a live DJ. This is a place to go for drinks and people-watching, the food isn't on my top-10.

Granite Brewery has a micro-brew, but they're more known for their scotch selection. The food is passable.

The Monk's Table is an all-purpose good-food good-drink English Pub. Give it a shot.

Rebel House has a short but tasty menu and a good selection of non-traditional (ie non-Molson/Coors and the like) beers. I liked their side of mac & cheese.

Auld Spot is another popular choice. Having never been there I can't speak for it, but others have indicated to me it's a good option for a casual night.

Brazen Head is a good Irish Pub with multi-level seating, and it's new enough that it doesn't yet look all dingy. Pretty good on the food, too.

Unicorn is a bit of a dive, but it's one of the few places in Toronto that has had Magner's on Tap. It will soon be closing to feed Toronto's condo boom.

Bier Markt is probably the only multi-location chain I'll mention. They have a near-unparalleled selection of beers here, and the food is tasty.

Wvrst ("Wurst") is a newer, hipper, deliciouser place to go. This is a semi-cafeteria style joint where you pick from a selection of sausages (including wild boar, kangaroo, etc) for your meal and there are beer pairings suggested. Worth a shot, but it gets crowded on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

Bellwoods Brewery is another stand-out spot, this one on the gentrifying Ossington Strip. It's an industrial space rather than a traditional restaurant, and they have a microbrew in the back. Food is decent but the drinks are better.

All of the above can be googled and should have an operational website. Reviews for most can be found on Yelp.ca (pretentious foodies), BlogTO (hipsters), and Toronto Life (professional reviewers).

One thing that you'll notice about Toronto is that it's very neighbourhood-oriented. Each has a slightly different vibe, and some you'll like better than others. The east-enders here will note I've been remiss to mention a lot of Leslieville and Danforth-area pubs. I don't know those areas as well so I'll leave it to them to cover them better.

Toronto has no shortage of pubs and lounges and gastropubs and brewpubs to check out. Look for crowds - an hour's wait is a pretentious joint; seated among one of five other patrons is a bad sign. Somewhere in the middle is worth your while.

If you want to get out of touristy areas and chain fare, avoid "Duke", "Firkin", and "Fionn Maccool's" pubs. Also, avoid Front Street between York and Spadina, Dundas between Church and Bay, and, unless you're going for Dim Sum (which I do recommend), Spadina from Queen to College.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Um...I might be blind but all I'm seeing is a few pubs mentioned inside of the food recommendations. Not exactly what I'm looking for.

Edit: Thanks BladeWorker!

Haha, yeah. Pubs / Clubs and general nightlife hang outs are not my cup of tea, so I welcome and depend on recommendations. The OT hasn't been touched in a long time in regards to updating it, but maybe I'll add Blade's selections.

Any of you ever reserve a table a St. Louis? Is it true you can't reserve a table for Friday nights? Me and a friend have been arguing about this.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So with all this bad press coming out for Marineland lately can we finally talk about how terrible that place has always been?

I hope it does get shut down, those commercials have been lying to the public for decades! Everyone does not love Marineland.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So with all this bad press coming out for Marineland lately can we finally talk about how terrible that place has always been?

I hope it does get shut down, those commercials have been lying to the public for decades! Everyone does not love Marineland.
I've never been to Marineland. Never been to African Lion Safari either. Hell, I haven't been to the Toronto Zoo since grade school and it's only about 15 minutes from me. I have no interest in seeing any of those things.

Thanks for this!

shoutout to Mississauga:

7773114104_fe9814ca4b_b.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers

Such a damn catchy song :(

cbox

I've never been to Marineland. Never been to African Lion Safari either. Hell, I haven't been to the Toronto Zoo since grade school and it's only about 15 minutes from me. I have no interest in seeing any of those things.

Damn, same with me. I've been to the zoo a bunch, but everytime I go I always leave depressed. The damn bears in the Canadian exhibit break my heart, not to mention the injured eagle enclosure.

Daft_Cat

So much for 'safe' Mississauga. Scary stuff.

Woman’s severed head found in Mississauga park

That was found on my old running route..

Still, this is the first time anything like this has happened in Mississauga in a LONG time. Hard to say we're suddenly no longer a safe community. After all, it's possible the remains were just disposed of here like Cecilia Zhang (incidentally, the remains of both were found in the same place). The victim and/or killer could easily be from one of the surrounding cities.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Still, this is the first time anything like this has happened in Mississauga in a LONG time. Hard to say we're suddenly no longer a safe community. After all, it's possible the remains were just disposed of here like Cecilia Zhang (incidentally, the remains of both were found in the same place). The victim and/or killer could easily be from one of the surrounding cities.

Of course Mississauga is not a hot bed for crime. Like most cities, Mississauga has more affluent neighbourhoods and less developed ones. I swear you can't say anything about Mississauga without a dozen 905ers coming to its defence. :p

Quick

Banned

I've been there once. I thought it was okay. Not the greatest place in the world, but okay.

Friendship cove, Marineland!

Everyone loooooooooooves, Marineland!

Daft_Cat

Of course Mississauga is not a hot bed for crime. Like most cities, Mississauga has more affluent neighbourhoods and less developed ones. I swear you can't say anything about Mississauga without a dozen 905ers coming to its defence. :p

We're all insecure and apprehensive about the prospect of feeling insecure and apprehensive!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

My girlffriend met the guy that killed Cecilia Zhang before he did it. Pretty spooky.

Roto13

I think it's weirder that the jingle was recorded in 2004. I thought at least 1994.

Yeah, I definitely remember hearing it when I used to watch YTV and that certainly wasn't in the 2000's.

I guess there was a previous version that sounded identical. :p

In other news, I ate Toronto today.

pQTsl.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I had a fucking blast when I went to African Lion Safari.

Marinelan sucks. Small. Shit rides. Far. Not even a lot of animals.

thabiz

Any one have any dealings with Magic Oven? I'm craving pizza, and this place was recommended. I checked them out and their prices are outrageous! So TO GAF, is it worth the money?

Any one have any dealings with Magic Oven? I'm craving pizza, and this place was recommended. I checked them out and their prices are outrageous! So TO GAF, is it worth the money?

It's pretty good mainly because of the good toppings you can get. It is way better than most chain franchise pizza places but it's still way overpriced for what you get.

If you are gonna be spending a bit more money, then my favourite pizza places in Toronto are Pizzeria Libretto and Buddha Pie.

Stet

Banned
I would say not. It's still just chain pizza, but they supposedly put more effort into their ingredients. That said, it's totally not worth the outrageous prices.

thabiz

I'm going to say no as well to Magic Oven. There are better options unless it's your only choice. Are you in the east end?

That's three no's, so i think i'm going to pass. Someone also mentioned they are passing off frozen crusts as fresh. If that's true, and they are charging what they charge. SMH.

Im in the Distillery district. My food options are really limited out here. especially for delivery or take out.

Quadratic

I feel your pain. I work at Parliament and Front and my coworkers and I always have a lunch-talk around 11:30 about our options. A major blow was when the wendy's closed down on Front street. I guess you were talking about the Magic Oven at Parliament and Queen.

One place I will endorse in the area is Schnitzel Queen. It's at Queen and Sherbourne. It has really early closing hours (due to moss park probably). Their sandwiches are amazing.

thabiz

I feel your pain. I work at Parliament and Front and my coworkers and I always have a lunch-talk around 11:30 about our options. A major blow was when the wendy's closed down on Front street. I guess you were talking about the Magic Oven at Parliament and Queen.

One place I will endorse in the area is Schnitzel Queen. It's at Queen and Sherbourne. It has really early closing hours (due to moss park probably). Their sandwiches are amazing.

Yeah the parliament one. I remember when that was the Paradise Lounge. They had the cheapest beer. I just moved in a couple of months ago, so still trying to suss all my options out.

Mengrai Thai at Richmond & Ontario. This im digging.

Love schnitzel, so i will def check that out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's pretty good mainly because of the good toppings you can get. It is way better than most chain franchise pizza places but it's still way overpriced for what you get.

If you are gonna be spending a bit more money, then my favourite pizza places in Toronto are Pizzeria Libretto and Buddha Pie.

I can vouch for Pizzeria Libretto. They're fantastic, and really fairly priced for the quality you're receiving. A bit busy around lunch time though, so be prepared to wait.

Top Bottom