• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Tell me about good poutine, T-GAF. It's been many, many years since I've had it and I'm pretty sure it was New York Fries. A friend recommended Smoke's Poutinerie but reviews online are really mixed.

The Montreal smoked meat poutine is actually pretty good at Smoke's Poutinerie. It's fast food though so you have to really be in the mood for junk.

Most people like Poutini's the best but I've never tried it.

If you like weird stuff, the Saag Poutine from Burger Bar in Kengsington is amazing! It's Saag Paneer on fries:

20091023_Burgerbar%20poutine.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Montreal smoked meat poutine is actually pretty good at Smoke's Poutinerie. It's fast food though so you have to really be in the mood for junk.

Most people like Poutini's the best but I've never tried it.

If you like weird stuff, the Saag Poutine from Burger Bar in Kengsington is amazing! It's Saag Paneer on fries:

Eeh. I like Smoke's Poutinie. It's a great comfort food, but I'd guess it's far from traditional. I've only ever had Poutini's House of Poutini's once and I was totally underwhelmed by the portion, the fries and the plastic like cheese curds. Plus it means I have to get off the streetcar during rush hour. No thanks!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Tell me about good poutine, T-GAF. It's been many, many years since I've had it and I'm pretty sure it was New York Fries. A friend recommended Smoke's Poutinerie but reviews online are really mixed.

Everyone yells at me when I say this - but KFC's poutine.

I have had poutine out of trucks, in restaurants, poutinieries... fucking... everywhere. Even have had it in montreal.

KFC still wins for me.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Smoke's is like okay, it's great when you're wasted, but I find that they serve it too cold and the cheese doesn't melt enough.

Poutini's is pretty great though. I would go there.

What I wouldn't give to go to Montreal for some.

Everyone yells at me when I say this - but KFC's poutine.

I have had poutine out of trucks, in restaurants, poutinieries... fucking... everywhere. Even have had it in montreal.

KFC still wins for me.

Heathen

Roto13

There's a really awesome poutinerie in Vancouver just around the corner from where I used to live called La Belle Patate and it has like a million different kinds of poutine and I miss it so much.

Quick

Banned
There's a really awesome poutinerie in Vancouver just around the corner from where I used to live called La Belle Patate and it has like a million different kinds of poutine and I miss it so much.

Smoke's isn't doing it for you?

Not going to lie, everyone was pretty much jizzing over Smoke's, but when I tried it, it wasn't anything spectacular.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Smoke's isn't doing it for you?

Not going to lie, everyone was pretty much jizzing over Smoke's, but when I tried it, it wasn't anything spectacular.

I think their stupid ad campaign of slapping their stickers on anything and everything has really put me off of their poutine. It's really obnoxious.

I've got the nicest breeze coming in through my window right now. A shame we're going back to hell temperatures in a few days :(

Thanks for the poutine suggestions, I'll probably try one of those places
(except KFC :p)
this week.

Oppo

Never been to Fan Expo. I feel like I ought to go. it the crowds just look berserk, like PAX-East levels almost.

Maybe I will see if I can go during the day Friday.

Disgusting! They have destroyed the west waterfront.

Have you been down there recently? They have built a bunch of new parks right by the water, added a small cute beach thing next to Redpath Sugar factory, added more boardwalk areas and built multiple wave deck things in places where the street used to meet the water abruptly.
It's not perfect by any means but the western waterfront is looking a million times better than it ever has.

Here are some photos of the newish stuff:

Simcoe Wavedeck
20090612-wavedeck2.jpg

Sugar Beach
20100703%20Sugar%20Beach%20People.jpg

Sherbourne Commons Park
Good%20Water%20Management-Sherbourne%20Commons%205.jpg

New boardwalk south of Corus building
2365_13_waters_edge_promenade___looking_west_after_1_600_600_both_.jpg

All of this stuff was done in just the last few years. It's pretty amazing to me considering how this area of the waterfront looked for my whole lifetime.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Have you been down there recently? They have built a bunch of new parks right by the water, added a small cute beach thing next to Redpath Sugar factory, added more boardwalk areas and built multiple wave deck things in places where the street used to meet the water abruptly.
It's not perfect by any means but the western waterfront is looking a million times better than it ever has.

Yeah it's getting a lot of working and it's going to keep getting a lot of work, hopefully.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't think it was possible to 'destroy the waterfront' anymore than it was. I welcome these improvements, even if some of the modernism isn't quite my style.

thabiz

I don't think it was possible to 'destroy the waterfront' anymore than it was. I welcome these improvements, even if some of the modernism isn't quite my style.

I'm just not a big fan of the giant condo everywhere. In the east end they are making a effort to fit the condo's into the existing architecture. Not a lot of giant 50 storey buildings. most of them are 12-15 and fit nicely with the area.

The west is just glass and concrete.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm just not a big fan of the giant condo everywhere. In the east end they are making a effort to fit the condo's into the existing architecture. Not a lot of giant 50 storey buildings. most of them are 12-15 and fit nicely with the area.

The west is just glass and concrete.

Well the existing architecture for the waterfront downtown was mostly warehouses, and parking lots. In the east end along the waterfront, there are very few projects, given the height restriction on buildings because there is feeling they want to preserve. The west actually turns green quite quickly following the waterfront, but after reading your post again I guess you're speaking about 'east' and 'west' downtown and not actual east / west beaches.

If they were ripping up important historical buildings at the waterfront to put in condos and parks, there would be something to complain about. I agree with you that I still don't find visiting Harborfront and waterfront downtown that great, but I would love it if I was living in the area.

Presco

Not sure how many comedy fans we have here but there's an amazing comedy festival coming to Toronto next month.

http://www.jfl42.com/?gclid=CLeqxdiY-bECFcUKKgodNk8Axw

$100 for the festival pass which gets you into everything. I paid close to that for tickets to see Louis CK last year at the Sony Centre. I don't quite understand the check in system yet. You get 4 credits with the basic pass and you can reserve 4 shows with those credits. I think how it works is that you get the credits back when you check in at a given show and can use them on additional shows.

For those looking for recommendations for outstanding acts beyond Louis, I'd start with the following:

Reggie Watts - saw this guy in Brooklyn last month, think I'd pay $100 for his show alone
Todd Barry
Patton Oswalt
Amy Schumer
Pete Holmes
Todd Glass

Oppo

Yeah you know what sucks about that JFL festival?

Facebook REQUIRED. fuck that noise.

was all set to buy tickets and ran into that. I really don't want a FB account, certainly not at this point. a drag.

Presco

Yeah you know what sucks about that JFL festival?

Facebook REQUIRED. fuck that noise.

was all set to buy tickets and ran into that. I really don't want a FB account, certainly not at this point. a drag.

I don't use Facebook either but I made a random fake account to help some GAFer in a contest so I'll just use that.

Magnus

A lot of out of towners that have visited me really enjoyed the Distillery District and eating and drinking at Mill Street Brewery. It's laid back so it depends how your friends are and what they like.

Kensington is also good for impressing tourists. Just find some good places there if you do go. (there are lots)
Cold Tea is a hilarious bar if they like things that look super ghetto but really aren't.

Distillery for sure, thanks!

No offense though, but I wouldn't show Kensington to anyone from out of town. The absolute worst part of the downtown city for me. Smelly, dirty, roach-infested, barren of any of my interests and just plain awful to look at it. Sorry. :(. I've wanted to leave five minutes after getting there every time I've been forced to go.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Distillery for sure, thanks!

No offense though, but I wouldn't show Kensington to anyone from out of town. The absolute worst part of the downtown city for me. Smelly, dirty, roach-infested, barren of any of my interests and just plain awful to look at it. Sorry. :(. I've wanted to leave five minutes after getting there every time I've been forced to go.

HEATHEN! D:

Distillery = favourite part of city for me though. St. Lawrence Market is also awesome, and the Beaches is pretty cool too. Since I live in Riverdale/Leslieville, I'm in the middle of all of them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
HEATHEN! D:

Distillery = favourite part of city for me though. St. Lawrence Market is also awesome, and the Beaches is pretty cool too. Since I live in Riverdale/Leslieville, I'm in the middle of all of them.

Leslieville over to the Beaches is a really nice area of the city to show off if your friends are okay with just walking around and spending time near the water. There are a bunch of nice patios over there as well and after a few days of being surrounded by towers, they might find the community pretty interesting.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rob Ford wants a fountain like Edmonton instead of the Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization. Maybe we should get our existing fountains working first. It's been out of service since 2009.

iieQMBstdcRac.png

Stet

Banned
Rob Ford wants a fountain like Edmonton instead of the Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization. Maybe we should get our existing fountains working first. It's been out of service since 2009.

iieQMBstdcRac.png

It was so nice when it was working, too. It's such an eyesore at this point.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was wondering what was going on with that fountain. It's been gutted like that for a while now.

Well, there are a number of reasons for the delay in fixing it aside from just the funding.

http://torontoist.com/2010/08/for_a_water_feature_situated/

Torontist said:
The City’s policy states that repairs cannot be made until the case has been settled by the courts and insurance monies paid out. And even when the payment issue is finally resolved, repairs can’t happen too quickly. Because the fountain is considered a heritage property, the granite used to repair the fountain must come from the same location where it was originally quarried. The source in question? Finland.

Top Bottom