• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

In less cadaverous news, I walked up the Humber River yesterday. It was grand fun, and didn't feel at all like the concrete jungle we get portrayed as everywhere else in the province.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
In less cadaverous news, I walked up the Humber River yesterday. It was grand fun, and didn't feel at all like the concrete jungle we get portrayed as everywhere else in the province.

Where on the Humber exactly? Truth be told, I've never walked that far north of Bloor on the Humber (looking at Home Smith Park Rd on Google Maps always makes me want to though..), but I've been south from Kings Mill Park and the Humber Marshes plenty of times.

Where on the Humber exactly? Truth be told, I've never walked that far north of Bloor on the Humber (looking at Home Smith Park Rd on Google Maps always makes me want to though..), but I've been south from Kings Mill Park and the Humber Marshes plenty of times.

North from Old Mill along the route 15 bike path all the way to Lawrence/Weston area.

Once you get to the north end of the path, the city isn't the best part of town, but the path itself is lovely. Goes through a couple of gardens, too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
North from Old Mill along the route 15 bike path all the way to Lawrence/Weston area.

Once you get to the north end of the path, the city isn't the best part of town, but the path itself is lovely. Goes through a couple of gardens, too.

Awesome, I want to do that walk at some point.

These are photos from that point south.

Around Old Mill, a bit north of Bloor.

bridge%2520at%2520old%2520mills%2520small.png

Kings Mill Park, further south along the river.

king%2527s%2520park%2520small.png

Much further south, approaching the marsh and the mouth of the river.

humber%2520south%2520small.png

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The food building at the CNE this year is ridiculous. Haven't experienced gastronomic debauchery like that in a while.

Divvy

Saw a report on the news. They went overboard this year. Bacon everywhere!

One of my friends ordered a bacon burger, where the meat was a bacon sausage stuffed with bacon, wrapped in a bacon weave. It was pretty tasty, but man that was ridiculous.

I had some pulled pork in a cone, it was pretty good.

Quadratic

I might go to the Ex just for the food building. What would you consider the "must" try items? Last year everyone and their mom was taking about the deep fried butter.

Divvy

I might go to the Ex just for the food building. What would you consider the "must" try items? Last year everyone and their mom was taking about the deep fried butter.

Well the bacon sausage burger thing was pretty good, so was the pulled pork cone. My girlfriend had some mac and cheese thing that was pretty tasty. I didn't get to try too many other things because everything is overpriced and most of my other friends were less adventurous. I saw a billion people with those blooming onion things though, they looked pretty good. There was also this stand with this ridiculous pulled pork sandwiched between three red velvet pancakes thing.

I hadn't been to the EX in like seven years, so I was surprised by how huge it is now.

Oh and apparently bacon and nutella is a thing now since I saw several stands selling some form of that.

I'd like to say that's never possible, but I think we jumped onto that slippery slope the moment the Ex started naming THEMES to its food each year.

rinse82

I've been in Paris for the last 12 days, about to head to the airport....looking forward to coming home actually

Love you Toronto!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
BBBLT. please tell me more.

Heh, that makes me think of the acronym BBBJ. Man I remember looking at the back of the Now magazines as a teen and seeing all sorts of sexual terminology that I had no fucking clue about.

I still think "Greek" is kinda racist.

Wow what a tangent.

I'd like to say that's never possible, but I think we jumped onto that slippery slope the moment the Ex started naming THEMES to its food each year.

If only the rest of the CNE had a theme worth a damn, its the exact same stuff every year lately, its pretty boring when the most interesting attraction is food =/

rinse82

Did you use the Paris Metro?

I was glad to be back on the TTC when I got back from Paris.........a lot of the Metro is a disaster

I loved the Paris Metro, every stop gets you within 15 mins walking distance of your destination.

Took it a lot while we were there

Magnus

My buddies are in town for five nights for FanExpo and I need to show em a good time. We're staying at the Sheraton (I'm staying with em downtown for the weekend). Despite living here so long, I still feel like I don't know the good hotspots and best ways to show off the town to visitors. We only have the evenings; accepting awesome suggestions for uniquely Toronto venues to hit! Also, or two amazing bar/pub/restaurant recommendations would be great as well (without breaking the bank - we're all semi-broke college types). Thanks!

Gonna skim the OP for sure too for suggestions.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My buddies are in town for five nights for FanExpo and I need to show em a good time. We're staying at the Sheraton (I'm staying with em downtown for the weekend). Despite living here so long, I still feel like I don't know the good hotspots and best ways to show off the town to visitors. We only have the evenings; accepting awesome suggestions for uniquely Toronto venues to hit! Also, or two amazing bar/pub/restaurant recommendations would be great as well (without breaking the bank - we're all semi-broke college types). Thanks!

Gonna skim the OP for sure too for suggestions.

Edge Walk on the CN Tower, or bust.

For food in walking distance, Paramount is within walking distance on Yonge. Really cheap good Lebanese food, good for a group. If you just want quick food, you're pretty close to OCAD and the Grange which has some pretty decent places, but nothing special. Black Bull further over on Queen has a great patio and the food isn't too expensive. The shawarma place at 238 Queen St W (forget the name) is really good, but they almost always run out of meat after the lunch hour and it's busy.

Magnus

Edge Walk on the CN Tower, or bust.

For food in walking distance, Paramount is within walking distance on Yonge. Really cheap good Lebanese food, good for a group. If you just want quick food, you're pretty close to OCAD and the Grange which has some pretty decent places, but nothing special. Black Bull further over on Queen has a great patio and the food isn't too expensive. The shawarma place at 238 Queen St W (forget the name) is really good, but they almost always run out of meat after the lunch hour and it's busy.

Thanks for the suggestions. Thought Paramount was supposed to be dogshit from past comments in the thread? I'll give it another look; always dismissed it out of hand due to bad word of mouth.

I tried 3 Brewers a few times; dug the in-house beer. How does it stack up overall in the food dept? Didn't care too too much for their 'Flamme' pizza things.

Black Bull is a certainty; since I want them to see the Snail anyway (they're huge comic junkies, and they'll have their midnight sale as usual on Saturday I assume?)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks for the suggestions. Thought Paramount was supposed to be dogshit from past comments in the thread? I'll give it another look; always dismissed it out of hand due to bad word of mouth.

I tried 3 Brewers a few times; dug the in-house beer. How does it stack up overall in the food dept? Didn't care too too much for their 'Flamme' pizza things.

Black Bull is a certainty; since I want them to see the Snail anyway (they're huge comic junkies, and they'll have their midnight sale as usual on Saturday I assume?)

I like Paramount, but it's not exactly high end food. It's cheap cheap eats, that taste good and will fill you up. And you'll probably walk out with a gigantic bag of pita at the end.

Of course, people flock to Burrito Boyz and Burger's Priest which I loathe, so maybe I'm a weird one when it comes to food.

A lot of out of towners that have visited me really enjoyed the Distillery District and eating and drinking at Mill Street Brewery. It's laid back so it depends how your friends are and what they like.

Kensington is also good for impressing tourists. Just find some good places there if you do go. (there are lots)
Cold Tea is a hilarious bar if they like things that look super ghetto but really aren't.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A lot of out of towners that have visited me really enjoyed the Distillery District and eating and drinking at Mill Street Brewery. It's laid back so it depends how your friends are and what they like.

Kensington is also good for impressing tourists. Just find some good places there if you do go. (there are lots)
Cold Tea is a hilarious bar if they like things that look super ghetto but really aren't.

I haven't been to the Distillery in forever, I the chocolate factory they had/have makes amazing fudge.

thabiz

I live in the Distillery and would say the oyster house would be a big recommendation. The brew pub can get really busy Thurs-Sun.

http://www.purespirits.ca/

thabiz

How about the Real Sports Bar as a night out? Never been myself but is it a good place to wow tourist friends?

for sure. its a spectacle. be prepared though. it is expensive for a sports bar.

I work across the street, but i have only been twice. 2 beers and 2 burgers. $47. didnt eat the second time.

Top Bottom