• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

I always thought the back of rollercoasters were the most fast?

They might be but the reason Leviathan seems so crazy in the front is because the wind hits you and totally distorts your face. If you sit in any other seat then the wind is blocked so you don't get that crazy feeling.

whitehawk

Banned
Yeah, go on the front of Leviathan. I rode it 5 times when I went this summer, the front was the best every time.
I always thought the back of rollercoasters were the most fast?
It's impossible for he back doesn't go faster, it's one car... It's all the same speed.

The back can sometimes seem faster at the beginning of the drop because most of the weight of the rollercoaster is on the drop, and then you are quickly pulled forward down the hill instead of hanging of the edge going slowly.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I've seen boobies at Kensington Market. A young mom was feeding a baby in the weirdest way, like usually they try to at least hide their boob a bit, but she was sort of just letting them sway all out there.

So... yeah, don't worry about what you wear too much.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Going to supermarket in Kensington market for a birthday tonight. Never been there before, anyone here been there? What should I expect? Dress code, music, atmosphere. I go out a lot, places like cube, bloke and 4th maison and clubs like that, but I'm hearing supermarket is different than those places.

don't think there's much of a dress code anywhere in Toronto....maybe Harbour steakhouse and Canoe or something? Other than that, I've been to plenty and have never been refused service.

Hieberrr

I've seen boobies at Kensington Market. A young mom was feeding a baby in the weirdest way, like usually they try to at least hide their boob a bit, but she was sort of just letting them sway all out there.

So... yeah, don't worry about what you wear too much.

Kensington Market ... is a little... iono, man. I cut past there a few months back on one of my random photography walks and it felt like a completely different country in there.

don't think there's much of a dress code anywhere in Toronto....maybe Harbour steakhouse and Canoe or something? Other than that, I've been to plenty and have never been refused service.

If GAF will permit me a rant...

High-class places, who have an explicit dress code, won't refuse people who show up in shitty, ratted-out jeans and tees. This is the Toronto we live in. Actually, it's not just Toronto.

People show up to opera and theatre in crappy tees and torn jeans, they go to places like Harbour 60 and Sotto Sotto - which have expected dress codes - in worn-out running shoes, and wear dresses that reveal their wiggly bits to weddings.

I'm a snobby Torontonian: I don't do any of those things, and, admittedly, my initial thoughts on those who do aren't kind. But ultimately, people dress how they will dress and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. And neither, apparently, can proprietors of classy establishments.

I don't wear a suit to Jays' games, and I don't wear an evening gown to dine at McDonalds. Apparently, however, it's too much to ask for others to consider the venue.

If GAF will permit me a rant...

High-class places, who have an explicit dress code, won't refuse people who show up in shitty, ratted-out jeans and tees. This is the Toronto we live in. Actually, it's not just Toronto.

People show up to opera and theatre in crappy tees and torn jeans, they go to places like Harbour 60 and Sotto Sotto - which have expected dress codes - in worn-out running shoes, and wear dresses that reveal their wiggly bits to weddings.

I'm a snobby Torontonian: I don't do any of those things, and, admittedly, my initial thoughts on those who do aren't kind. But ultimately, people dress how they will dress and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. And neither, apparently, can proprietors of classy establishments.

I don't wear a suit to Jays' games, and I don't wear an evening gown to dine at McDonalds. Apparently, however, it's too much to ask for others to consider the venue.

I'm pleased to know that I'm annoying people like you when I'm sitting in an expensive restaurant wearing blue Adidas shoes and an Iron Maiden shirt. Just remember that my food costs just as much as yours.

I'm pleased to know that I'm annoying people like you when I'm sitting in an expensive restaurant wearing blue Adidas shoes and an Iron Maiden shirt. Just remember that my food costs just as much as yours.

He/she may have said it somewhat boldly, but I don't entirely disagree. Clothes have their place...just because you can wear a pair of sweat pants & a t-shirt to Susur (is that restaurant even still around?) doesn't mean you should. You're not a bad person for doing it obviously, but there is something to be said for dressing to complement the establishment, be it a nice restaurant like Centro or a hole like Sneaky Dee's.

thabiz

He/she may have said it somewhat boldly, but I don't entirely disagree. Clothes have their place...just because you can wear a pair of sweat pants & a t-shirt to Susur (is that restaurant even still around?) doesn't mean you should. You're not a bad person for doing it obviously, but there is something to be said for dressing to complement the establishment, be it a nice restaurant like Centro or a hole like Sneaky Dee's.

Yep. Just cause you can, doesnt mean you should.

and Sneaky Dee's isnt a hole. Toronto institution right there.

I happen to disagree with these societal norms so I choose not to follow them. It's not like I am not aware of them. I also think it's ridiculous that people have to wear uncomfortable suits in the workplace. People get used to these things and then can't see them being any other way but it's not like it has to be like this.
Thankfully, most newer restaurants owned by younger people make it clear that you should wear whatever makes you comfortable.

(My last post came off as really cranky though. Maybe I should have went to bed earlier last night)

Toronto photo of the day:

izDmZ.jpg

The ROM is looking great but the road seems pretty patchy along there.

Spl1nter

Suits uncomfortable hahaha. Buy a better suit. Only negative of a suit is how long it takes to get dressed compared to t-shirt and jeans.

and Sneaky Dee's isnt a hole. Toronto institution right there.

Institutions can still be holes :) I've seen plenty of shows there and love the venue (and the 'chos of course), but it's still a dive!

I happen to disagree with these societal norms so I choose not to follow them. It's not like I am not aware of them. I also think it's ridiculous that people have to wear uncomfortable suits in the workplace. People get used to these things and then can't see them being any other way but it's not like it has to be like this.
Thankfully, most newer restaurants owned by younger people make it clear that you should wear whatever makes you comfortable.

It's all about what's appropriate & what's expected. I wouldn't dream of visiting a client in anything but a suit, but I sure don't need (or want) to wear one to the office every day. My wife is a lawyer and she would stick out like a sore thumb if she didn't wear one every day.

I totally agree with you about your last point. For something as intimate as a restaurant I absolutely think you should dress in accordance with the "spirit" of the proprietor's theme.

Great picture of the ROM btw. I haven't seen it in 3 years since I moved out of the city.

thabiz

Institutions can still be holes :) I've seen plenty of shows there and love the venue (and the 'chos of course), but it's still a dive!

It's all about what's appropriate & what's expected. I wouldn't dream of visiting a client in anything but a suit, but I sure don't need (or want) to wear one to the office every day. My wife is a lawyer and she would stick out like a sore thumb if she didn't wear one every day.

I totally agree with you about your last point. For something as intimate as a restaurant I absolutely think you should dress in accordance with the "spirit" of the proprietor's theme.

Great picture of the ROM btw. I haven't seen it in 3 years since I moved out of the city.

If you want a nice job, with good benefits, and a good salary, odds are your going to have to play the game.

I'm an IT manager and have to dress a certain way. If clients are in, suit jacket has to go on. Its just the way it is.

Yet i still skateboard to work. You don't have to lose yourself or your core, just cause you wear a suit or business attire.

I met Joshua Jackson at the Gretzky HOF induction. Dude was wearing ripped jeans and a plaid shirt. Sometimes you cant wear what you want, cause you will look like a jackass.

It's just the way it is.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The only real time I think you absolutely should come dressed well is for certain performances, like the orchestra. It's less for you and more a show of respect for the performers.

For restaurants, I don't really care. Just don't be too stupid like wear a wifebeater to Scaramouche or something.

Stet

Banned
The only real time I think you absolutely should come dressed well is for certain performances, like the orchestra. It's less for you and more a show of respect for the performers.

For restaurants, I don't really care. Just don't be too stupid like wear a wifebeater to Scaramouche or something.

When I went to La Bernardin in NYC I read that there was a dress code, so my girlfriend and I dressed up and when we got there were relieved to see that we had dressed appropriately. While we waited for our table, a party of 5 came in and two of the guys were in ripped jeans and bright orange sneakers, and you could tell the hostess didn't know what to do.

But they had reservations, so nothing was said. I wanted to see them thrown out. I had to buy a new pair of shoes just for the occasion. :(

haha judging by the replies about wife-beaters and ripped jeans, I think I must have exaggerated how I go dressed to the restaurants. Here is a photo of my wife and I before going to a restaurant:

PnciA.jpg

I didn't mean that I wear paint-stained overalls or something like that.
I just feel like how we are dressed in that photo should be alright to go out and eat dinner.

Roto13

Well, to be fair, sweatpants aren't appropriate for anywhere outside of the home unless you're like a 75-year-old man who doesn't give a shit any more.

thabiz

haha judging by the replies about wife-beaters and ripped jeans, I think I must have exaggerated how I go dressed to the restaurants. Here is a photo of my wife and I before going to a restaurant:

PnciA.jpg

I just feel like how we are dressed in that photo should be alright to go out and eat dinner.

Even though i think that is perfectly fine, i still think it depends on the restaurant or venue.

Thats how i walk around, but sometimes you gotta slap on the goods.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My wife and I avoid dressing up by never going any place requires us to do so.

p.s., added_time, that bag your wife has is awesome.

Divvy

PnciA.jpg

Dude, that's totally fine. I really just mean people dressed like trailer trash lol.

p.s., added_time, that bag your wife has is awesome.

She is actually a hand bag designer so she designed that for Nintendo but the whole line got scrapped at the last second by whatever chain store was gonna buy the Nintendo merch. So the one she carries around was the sample sent back from the Chinese factory and the only one that exists. Based on the amount of people that go crazy when they see the bag, they were foolish not to put it into production.

By the way, the front is reversible. So you can unzip that and flip it around so that this is the image on it if you want:

il_fullxfull.294461178.jpg

Yeah, I'm really proud of her! :)

Divvy

What? That's awesome! Really unfortunate that line wasn't actually produced. Is she pursuing other avenues to get it produced?

What? That's awesome! Really unfortunate that line wasn't actually produced. Is she pursuing other avenues to get it produced?

It's tough. The company she works for has the license for all Nintendo bags so no one else is allowed to do it. She is thinking of just bootlegging some though and selling them just locally in Toronto directly to people (not through stores or anything).
It may be hard to make them though since the company was using a place in China that gives them price breaks based on the bulk of the orders and she wouldn't have that luxury.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's tough. The company she works for has the license for all Nintendo bags so no one else is allowed to do it. She is thinking of just bootlegging some though and selling them just locally in Toronto directly to people (not through stores or anything).
It may be hard to make them though since the company was using a place in China that gives them price breaks based on the bulk of the orders and she wouldn't have that luxury.

If she does find a way to produce them cheap enough, sell them locally, or on Etsy. Etsy Geekery section is basically nothing but unofficial Nintendo merchandise. And if she does start to produce some, let me know. I'm sure GAF would end up buying thousands. :p

Divvy

Yeah let us know. I'm sure there are a lot of us who would love to get one. I know I'd definitely get one for my girlfriend.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I can't remember if anyone posted this yet:

Boomtown Toronto: Trinity-Spadina accounts for 26% of recent population growth

Those of us that live in the Trinity-Spadina riding can clearly see the boom in population over the last 5 years but here are the numbers to back it up. We need more fucking transit!

ridings_map_toronto-popchange.png

Condos eveeeeerywhere in Trinity-Spadina.

No surprise my ward hasn't grown much. Most of the condo development is near the lake, and there's really not a lot of new development in Swansea and Bloor West. Schools in the area are a nightmare for families as well, being packed and reserved for the next decade, most have to send their kids to school north of Bloor. aND +7% for Etobicoke, thanks to the massive condo boom around Kipling and Islington.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Bout all those game music performances?

Top Bottom