• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's getting worse with no sign of stopping :(
It has changed a lot in the last 10 years, especially Lakeshore and Downtown. Queen street is now being filled with condos </3

I don't know why people are against it if they're selling and they're not just building empty boxes. Density in a city is a good thing and the price of owning a house is unrealistic for a lot of people, or families. Provided the area receives proper urban planning (green space, transit, local amenities with retail), this is what we should want from the city. Seems silly that someone would prefer more sprawl over condos.

Magnus

FanExpo was such a blast! What a fucking great weekend, with great friends. Photos/vids later, including me saying my favorite Janeway line with Kate Mulgrew. lol

It's getting worse with no sign of stopping :(
It has changed a lot in the last 10 years, especially Lakeshore and Downtown. Queen street is now being filled with condos </3

The only other option to give people places to live is to destroy even more greenbelt land outside the city to build houses. Given those two options, I think condo towers are much preferred if we want to maintain our environment at all.

Toronto photo of the day:

lr51g.jpg

This is Cityplace at the foot of Spadina. It seems to me that on their own, each building looks pretty nice but taken as a whole it becomes too much of the same thing. Also, they didn't build enough interesting retail at the base of the towers but hopefully that will improve in the future. Does anyone here live in that area?

thabiz

This is Cityplace at the foot of Spadina. It seems to me that on their own, each building looks pretty nice but taken as a whole it becomes too much of the same thing. Also, they didn't build enough interesting retail at the base of the towers but hopefully that will improve in the future. Does anyone here live in that area?

Its tough cause Toronto didnt plan in the early days. Liveable space, subways, routes into and out of the downtown core, etc.

I lived at qq and bathurst and its one of the reasons i moved. There is so much construction down there. The noise during the weekends is what did me in. Some of those construction projects even have 24 hour work permits. there's gotta be 20 projects going right now.

The other thing that sucks is no retail will go in there, cause habourfront is dead during the winter. It will never change. the city was so poorly designed in the early days.

It is sad. The club district used to be a zoo to trap all the 905ers in one place. Now they have been let loose on the rest of the city and we have to actually see them now.

This is why, I don't care for the hipster urbanites of the TO. and both my home and cell number is (416) numbers.

The (905) vs (416) argument is so early 2000s, when those clubs DID actually exist.

I have friends who rather live in a hole in the wall in the shadiest neighborhoods of downtown, get mugged by the homeless and hear gunshots at nights than live slightly outside of the downtown core. "Yo! At least I'm not 905 er yo!"

I have friends who rather live in a hole in the wall in the shadiest neighborhoods of downtown, get mugged by the homeless and hear gunshots at nights than live slightly outside of the downtown core. "Yo! At least I'm not 905 er yo!"

At least I was just kidding. It seems like you actually believe what you just wrote. I grew up in Scarborough where the only way to get around was drive my mom's ugly minivan. I know plenty about the suburban life.

BKXB

Economist
When I went to La Bernardin in NYC I read that there was a dress code, so my girlfriend and I dressed up and when we got there were relieved to see that we had dressed appropriately. While we waited for our table, a party of 5 came in and two of the guys were in ripped jeans and bright orange sneakers, and you could tell the hostess didn't know what to do.

But they had reservations, so nothing was said. I wanted to see them thrown out. I had to buy a new pair of shoes just for the occasion. :(

My favourite dress code story: I was in Tokyo with friends, and we made our way to the Park Hyatt to live out our memories of Lost in Translation. It being an extremely hot day, we were mostly in shorts and sandals by the time we made it here in the evening.

After being informed that there was a dress code by the hostess, we were ready to turn around and come back another time. Dress code was understandable, as it was a classy joint. "No no," the hostess said.

They proceeded to get our sizes, and brought us all out dress pants, socks, and shoes.

Oh I miss Japan.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Can we all agree that 647ers are the worst?
My brother's cell is a 647 that he got just after it was introduced. He's pissed at me because I got a brand new 416 number for my cell a little more than 2 years ago. :p

Even worse than 647 will be the new 437 early next year.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Heh Area code wars.

I still have my 613 number from Ottawa, and have been far too lazy to change it.

explodet

I had my first Porter flight over the weekend, color me impressed.
Ticket prices were decent, free snacks and fancy coffees in the lounge, free beer on the flight (Steam Whistle), and it's so much easier to get to than Pearson.

The flight back didn't have a lounge, but at least the customs line to get back into Canada was super fast.

I could get used to this.

EDIT: Even as a member of the 416, I could never understand the 905 area code. You could live as close as Mississauga and as far away as Niagara Falls and still have the same area code.

Kunohara

My brother's cell is a 647 that he got just after it was introduced. He's pissed at me because I got a brand new 416 number for my cell a little more than 2 years ago. :p

Even worse than 647 will be the new 437 early next year.

Christ another area code? Geez. I managed to snag a 416 number for my cell not to long ago, which is cool. My wife still has a 416 number for her cell as well. Pretty cool.

Fuzzy

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I always find it weird how area codes are spread out. I grew up with a 415 number in San Francisco and now I have a 416 number in Toronto. People coming up with the area codes probably didn't have enough foresight to group numbers together, or maybe they thought it would be confusing if Toronto had 415/416/417/418 area codes.

Fuzzy

Summoned for jury duty. :(
I did that the summer after I turned 18. I spent 3 days sitting in a big room with other people watching Mr. Bean episodes/reading/playing video games then on the fourth day we actually went into a court room. Before I was even asked a question they already had enough jury members for the only trial they had to fill so they told us not to come back the last day. It was a waste of a week.

Kunohara

I did that the summer after I turned 18. I spent 3 days sitting in a big room with other people watching Mr. Bean episodes/reading/playing video games then on the fourth day we actually went into a court room. Before I was even asked a question they already had enough jury members for the only trial they had to fill so they told us not to come back the last day. It was a waste of a week.

The same thing pretty much happened to me, except I just read the entire time. I finish a wheel of time book in the 3 days I was there because I just read all day. I hope I don't get called in again though. I don't want to lose days of pay for nothing.

That could be a hit with the ladies... like having a British accent or something. So exotic!

That really made me laugh.

Having a 416 number is like street cred, though. As though you're a Torontonian through and through. It's the only reason I've kept my 416 old-school-bought-in-university-**-years-ago phone.

Quick

Banned
Can't say I miss the snow, but a little wouldn't hurt.

I've condemned people last winter who were wishing for it to snow. I still stand by that. "White Christmas" my ass.

Dyno

It is sad. The club district used to be a zoo to trap all the 905ers in one place. Now they have been let loose on the rest of the city and we have to actually see them now.

I know this is a tongue in cheek sentiment but I want to point out that in order to achieve humour you had to channel both an angsty teenager and a grumpy old man. My perspective stems from being the perfect age to have actually enjoyed it, even revel in it.

Toronto's club district was amazing for over twenty years. The city itself was on the cusp of becoming an international EDM destination and the clubs on Richmond was it's heart. There were so many big places and big acts, weekend after weekend for years. Once I was twenty and out on my own we would be clubbing four nights a week and even more during big events.

The awesome music, amazing dancing, sweet eye candy, and killer atmosphere made that neighbourhood the perfect place to waste your youth. I'll never forget it and the confidence gained in those years is priceless.

I know this is a tongue in cheek sentiment but I want to point out that in order to achieve humour you had to channel both an angsty teenager and a grumpy old man. My perspective stems from being the perfect age to have actually enjoyed it, even revel in it.

Toronto's club district was amazing for over twenty years. The city itself was on the cusp of becoming an international EDM destination and the clubs on Richmond was it's heart. There were so many big places and big acts, weekend after weekend for years. Once I was twenty and out on my own we would be clubbing four nights a week and even more during big events.

The awesome music, amazing dancing, sweet eye candy, and killer atmosphere made that neighbourhood the perfect place to waste your youth. I'll never forget it and the confidence gained in those years is priceless.

I couldn't stand the Entertainment District. That place was all about flaunting. Total shallow bullshit. No fun. Paying $15 to get in just to drink $10 drinks and wear $500 outfits.

I will be labelled, but I tended to go to places like the Dance Cave, Lee's Palace, Sneaky Dee's, The Boat, and others like that.

Top Bottom