• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

John Blade

How much are you trying to get for it?

Well, it's locked to Telus (shouldn't be hard to unlock it from what I heard). It doesn't contain the wire you need to connect it to the computer and to charge it as I need it for my current phone. Also, have minor wear and tear from using it for a while before I got a new phone. I don't know how much it will worth but from what I see on Kijiji or Craigslist, they sell it around 120 dollars to 300 dollars. I know it won't be that much for mine so I am thinking of around 100 dollars most likely around 80 dollars. Is that sound right for that price of the phone?

I'm going on vacation to the US soon, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience in getting a prepaid SIM card for use there?

I recently went to L.A. and made this thread looking for the same thing you did, unfortunately it didn't work out for me. I had to rely on Hotel and other (Cafe) Wifi to make calls etc.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483884&highlight=

What kind of phone do you have? if you can unlock it, Verison would be good for a 35-40 dollar pay as you go with 2-3GB data.

Well, it's locked to Telus (shouldn't be hard to unlock it from what I heard). It doesn't contain the wire you need to connect it to the computer and to charge it as I need it for my current phone. Also, have minor wear and tear from using it for a while before I got a new phone. I don't know how much it will worth but from what I see on Kijiji or Craigslist, they sell it around 120 dollars to 300 dollars. I know it won't be that much for mine so I am thinking of around 100 dollars most likely around 80 dollars. Is that sound right for that price of the phone?

Maybe under 100, and micro USB cables are dirt cheap, but its a blackberry.......

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I recently went to L.A. and made this thread looking for the same thing you did, unfortunately it didn't work out for me. I had to rely on Hotel and other (Cafe) Wifi to make calls etc.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483884&highlight=

What kind of phone do you have? if you can unlock it, Verison would be good for a 35-40 dollar pay as you go with 2-3GB data.

I've got a galaxy nexus so it should work on any network. I'm just wondering where I would get one of these prepaid cards. Do they include data as well?

Quick

Banned
I've got a galaxy nexus so it should work on any network. I'm just wondering where I would get one of these prepaid cards. Do they include data as well?

If it's the same as here in Canada, a mobile provider's brick and mortar store should have them. Maybe even convenience/grocery stores. And I'd assume there's no data.

Divvy

If it's the same as here in Canada, a mobile provider's brick and mortar store should have them. Maybe even convenience/grocery stores. And I'd assume there's no data.

Cool, thanks. I'll try to find one once I get there.

Toronto photo of the day (courtesy of the Skyscrapercity forums - as usual):

qGCNW.jpg

Since I'm a big fucking nerd, I decided to label that photo of the day with any large new buildings that are visible in it. These have all been built in the last 3 years (I'm sure EvilMario knows all this stuff already but maybe someone else will find it interesting):

ufGYu.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Since I'm a big fucking nerd, I decided to label that photo of the day with any large new buildings that are visible in it. These have all been built in the last 3 years (I'm sure EvilMario knows all this stuff already but maybe someone else will find it interesting):

Fixed. And yeah, our skyline has really progressed from even five years ago. I'm always excited every time I walk by Aura (Yonge and Gerrard), especially after I saw their plans on green space in the area.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That's for sure. There are another 30 or so large buildings scattered around the city in the last 5 years but they just aren't visible from this angle.

Best part of the view from the CN Tower for me is looking north and seeing multiple skylines and city centres. It's really quite amazing and I don't think people know just how many tall buildings Toronto has.

Best part of the view from the CN Tower for me is looking north and seeing multiple skylines and city centres. It's really quite amazing and I don't think people know just how many tall buildings Toronto has.

That is definitely one of the two best things about that view. So you can see how many tall buildings there are scattered everywhere and you can see how many trees Toronto has. It blew my mind the first time I saw how much green there is.

Confession time: I've never been to the CN tower, after living in Toronto for 11 years now. I really should go one day, but there's always something more exciting.

Stet

Banned

ufGYu.jpg

jb2lFgaG7qgnv1.jpg

Divvy

I haven't been up in like fifteen years. I should make a trip of it again once the aquarium opens.

People don't realize how much rent would be in this city if those condos weren't being built. The only new rental units that come into the market are condos since hardly any developers are building rental buildings anymore. Rent is already high in Toronto so we need any new units we can get and any way we can get them.
New York built a stupidly low amount of residential units in Manhattan for decades until the rent there skyrocketed to an average of $3,418 now. It's a lesson for us.

Divvy

People don't realize how much rent would be in this city if those condos weren't being built. The only new rental units that come into the market are condos since hardly any developers are building rental buildings anymore. Rent is already high in Toronto so we need any new units we can get and any way we can get them.
New York built a stupidly low amount of residential units in Manhattan for decades until the rent there skyrocketed to an average of $3,418 now. It's a lesson for us.

Well I don't have a problem with the number of them, it's really more about the quality and variety of them. Too many shoddy ones and too many with tiny cramped units. You're definitely right about them driving down the price of rent.

Well I don't have a problem with the number of them, it's really more about the quality and variety of them. Too many shoddy ones and too many with tiny cramped units. You're definitely right about them driving down the price of rent.

I agree with you about the size of the units for sure. We are starting to rival Hong Kong for cramped living spaces.

Divvy

I agree with you about the size of the units for sure. We are starting to rival Hong Kong for cramped living spaces.

Yeah, the unit I have is pretty big relative to what's being built now, and our condo was only built three years ago. On another note, my girlfriend sits on the board of directors for the building and it's pretty interesting getting insight into the ridiculous stuff that goes on behind the scenes. Tons of bureaucracy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is awesome. I can just sit on my balcony and watch the air show. Man they fly low. Shakes the whole building.

Same here, as they loop around the west end a lot and we're right next to the lake. I don't mind it (I grew up near an airfield), but it scares my dog to death.

Onemic

I wish I lived downtown :(

What would be the areas with the lowest amount of rent?(excluding places like crackdale tc.) I'm guessing chinatown?

Stet

Banned

I don't mind the residential condo boom at all, it got me my place. I just wish we would start building more varied designs and more commercial spaces.

thabiz

Same here, as they loop around the west end a lot and we're right next to the lake. I don't mind it (I grew up near an airfield), but it scares my dog to death.

I'm in the east and they bank right over my building. Loud as fuck. especially those f15's.
have had the snowbirds, a b12 bomber, and a couple of mustangs fly over today. I'm sure theres more to come as they test fly today.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wish I lived downtown :(

What would be the areas with the lowest amount of rent?(excluding places like crackdale tc.) I'm guessing chinatown?

One bedrooms under 1,000 in a bunch of buildings east of Yonge downtown. Of course, quality in most is questionable if they're that cheap. Outside of the core, north of St Clair and Yonge has a bunch of buildings with one bedrooms for under $1,000. Bathurst and St Clair is even cheaper and you can find more around $900. My building south of Bloor West Village rents one bedrooms for $845, and it's a quality building, but few amenities within decent walking distance (but good transit, 501 at my door almost).

Annex has some cheaper buildings, but a lot are filled with college kids. Up and down Avenue Rd there are plenty of good buildings, but transit is bus only unless you walk to the subway. East end on the Danforth actually offers plenty of options, but there are many poorly maintained buildings. Shop around. Beaches is cheaper than most people might believe, and it's serviced by the 24/7 501 Streetcar.

Really depends on your budget, quality of where you live and what you consider downtown. People living in the city generally think 'the core' when someone says downtown, but you might be willing to live a 20 minute subway ride outside of the core and save two hundred bucks on your rent (and be in a better building).

thabiz

One bedrooms under 1,000 in a bunch of buildings east of Yonge downtown. Of course, quality in most is questionable if they're that cheap. Outside of the core, north of St Clair and Yonge has a bunch of buildings with one bedrooms for under $1,000. Bathurst and St Clair is even cheaper and you can find more around $900. My building south of Bloor West Village rents one bedrooms for $845, and it's a quality building, but few amenities within decent walking distance (but good transit, 501 at my door almost).

Annex has some cheaper buildings, but a lot are filled with college kids. Up and down Avenue Rd there are plenty of good buildings, but transit is bus only unless you walk to the subway. East end on the Danforth actually offers plenty of options, but there are many poorly maintained buildings. Shop around. Beaches is cheaper than most people might believe, and it's serviced by the 24/7 501 Streetcar.

Really depends on your budget, quality of where you live and what you consider downtown. People living in the city generally think 'the core' when someone says downtown, but you might be willing to live a 20 minute subway ride outside of the core and save two hundred bucks on your rent (and be in a better building).

I would say that 1200 for a small 1 bedroom in the core is the norm. Generally anything cheaper than that is going to be a shoebox, or in a really dodgy building/area.

Edit: Also most landlords charge for hydro now, so you need to account for that.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I would say that 1200 for a small 1 bedroom in the core is the norm. Generally anything cheaper than that is going to be a shoebox, or in a really dodgy building/area.

Yeah, it's possible to find a one bedroom for 1,000$ in the core, but it's probably not going to be a great unit. You definitely want to push at least $1,100 and rent in a decent building. Best advice is not to rush into a rental. Research the building's history (previous renter's ratings for the build, bed bug history), don't rent basements (emergency only, avoid at all cost), and get to know neighbourhoods. Walk around a lot of neighbourhoods you're interested in and you'll see for rent signs. Most companies do have sites online, but a few don't, or could be tough to find casually.

We pay $900 now with hydro included, near High Park. Even Roncesvalles has some one bedrooms for under $1,000, but they're hotly contested and someone will usually rent it during an open house on the spot. Some units are less than desirable too because landlords find little reason to put money into a unit they'll easily rent.

thabiz

Yeah, it's possible to find a one bedroom for 1,000$ in the core, but it's probably not going to be a great unit. You definitely want to push at least $1,100 and rent in a decent building. Best advice is not to rush into a rental. Research the building's history (previous renter's ratings for the build, bed bug history), don't rent basements (emergency only, avoid at all cost), and get to know neighbourhoods. Walk around a lot of neighbourhoods you're interested in and you'll see for rent signs. Most companies do have sites online, but a few don't, or could be tough to find casually.

We pay $900 now with hydro included, near High Park. Even Roncesvalles has some one bedrooms for under $1,000, but they're hotly contested and someone will usually rent it during an open house on the spot. Some units are less than desirable too because landlords find little reason to put money into a unit they'll easily rent.

My best advice would be get a agent. They work for free (hoping you remember them when its time to buy) and they will only show you what you want.

I saved a ton of headache by getting one. Gave my list (balcony, laundry en suite, etc) and i was only shown those within my budget. Only problem is that they generally are only interested if you are looking for something in the higher price range. I would say 1400 and higher.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My best advice would be get a agent. They work for free (hoping you remember them when its time to buy) and they will only show you what you want.

I saved a ton of headache by getting one. Gave my list (balcony, laundry en suite, etc) and i was only shown those within my budget. Only problem is that they generally are only interested if you are looking for something in the higher price range. I would say 1400 and higher.

I doubt someone asking for a budget apartment downtown is going to be going for $1,400 apartments. :p

Kunohara

I wouldn't go so far as to say only rent basements for an emergency. My wife and I have been living in one for about 4 years now, and it's been fine. 2 bedroom for about $960 a month. We live in a nice nieghbourhood, and the 404 is literally around the corner from us. We are saving for a house (my wife wants to open her own daycare, we really don't want to live in a condo. Not enough space for a daycare anyway).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I hate to say it, but for a nice place in a good building, thats what your going to be paying.

We probably have different opinions on what a nice place to live is. We have friends around the Gay Village that pay $1,150 for a one bedroom with a balcony, hydro being extra and it's a lovely clean building and a nice street. It just takes a commitment to shopping around and what you can live with. If you want to feel like you're living in a well maintained new condo, instead of a 30 year old apartment building, or a 50 year old low rise, you're going to pay for it. $1,400 is way too extreme to call the minimum for good housing, sorry.

I wouldn't go so far as to say only rent basements for an emergency. My wife and I have been living in one for about 4 years now, and it's been fine. 2 bedroom for about $960 a month. We live in a nice nieghbourhood, and the 404 is literally around the corner from us. We are saving for a house (my wife wants to open her own daycare, we really don't want to live in a condo. Not enough space for a daycare anyway).

Glad you had a good experience, but I find your case to be more of the exception than the rule. The amount of basement apartments that fail to live up to code, and the nightmare you can experience renting a building where the owners live upstairs (ie; lack of respect for privacy) keep me away. I'd still say tread very carefully with basements.

thabiz

We probably have different opinions on what a nice place to live is. We have friends around the Gay Village that pay $1,150 for a one bedroom with a balcony, hydro being extra and it's a lovely clean building and a nice street. It just takes a commitment to shopping around and what you can live with. If you want to feel like you're living in a well maintained new condo, instead of a 30 year old apartment building, or a 50 year old low rise, you're going to pay for it. $1,400 is way too extreme to call the minimum for good housing, sorry.

Yeah, we have a different opinion.

The village does have wicked rent. It's very odd for toronto (the core). Its a very popular, in demand location, yet has low rent. I would love to know why.

Willectro

Banned
I just got a 1 bedroom apartment near Broadview station (4 story, walk up, $950, very clean, strict rules to keep it decent, minimum monthly income, etc.). Finding a good apartment in this city is hell (or at least that was my experience). All of the buildings around Danforth are very hit or miss. Do your research and check the bed bug registry. My advice would be if price is a huge factor and you want to spend less than $1100 then don't live in the downtown core. Just look for a place on the subway line. I found my place by sheer luck on Kijiji. The ad was up for 10 minutes, the landlord only booked 12 people to view it, open house style (after he apparently got 50 emails), then took it down. Kijiji, Viewit and Craigslist are your friends, check them as much as possible.

I don't mind the residential condo boom at all, it got me my place. I just wish we would start building more varied designs and more commercial spaces.

What do you mean by commercial spaces? I do think the city should force a retail component into the base of every condo even if they will have trouble making money on it right away because it helps reduce car trips if all streets are lined with retail stores.

About the designs, I agree with you that most of the designs are pretty bland... fortunately, there have been a couple nice ones either just built or being built now that I really like:

L Tower (about 3/4 built right now)
7j39c.jpg

X Condominium
1bkYT.jpg

The Four Seasons
TZ3lG.jpg

1 Bloor (one of my favs)
VNDEx.jpg

1 St Thomas (this one is really amazing)
a0dOQ.jpg

Massey Tower
LReOH.jpg

Picasso Condo (stupid name, amazing building)
MFz90.jpg

Theatre Park
theatre_park2.JPG

Ice Condominums
pppwL.jpg

I still agree with you that the architecture on 90% of the condos is crap but I'm just glad there are ones like these to cheer me up!

Onemic

I mean the core. I don't mind living around college kids, since I literally just graduated. I've heard living around college st or chinatown can go as low as 600 if you get a roomate. If I live downtown I wouldn't expect to live by myself at least for the first few years.

thabiz

What do you mean by commercial spaces? I do think the city should force a retail component into the base of every condo even if they will have trouble making money on it right away because it helps reduce car trips if all streets are lined with retail stores.

Why does every lot have to be a condo? We could be using the space to add commerce to the people of downtown, rather than more people. Or maybe more government housing. Or more schools, daycare centers, etc.

Its just condo's and hotels.

Top Bottom