• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Went to Wonderland in the morning, 1 hour wait for Leviathan, 10 minute wait for Behemoth and most other rides......got on all the rides I wanted to go on in under 2.5 hours :)

thabiz

Ended up going to Glory Hole Doughnuts today. 'gourmet doughnuts' if you will. Overall a pretty so-so experience. Coffee was surprisingly good and the dough in the doughnuts was amazing, but I wasn't wow'ed by any of the toppings.. and the maple doughnut was probably my favourite. It might all be okay if the doughnuts didn't cost $4-8 bucks each.

jbzAp5JMWR3a6I.png

Seriously 8 dollars? I cant stop laughing. Thats almost as good as the $100 pizza at magic oven.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Seriously 8 dollars? I cant stop laughing. Thats almost as good as the $100 pizza at magic oven.

Even $4 for a maple glazed doughnut. It was fun to try, but I'm not exactly going to be frequenting the place. And it's just far enough from Roncesvalles that people won't bother walking up to it.. or even notice it. I give the store six months.

thabiz

Even $4 for a maple glazed doughnut. It was fun to try, but I'm not exactly going to be frequenting the place. And it's just far enough from Roncesvalles that people won't bother walking up to it.. or even notice it. I give the store six months.

at those prices, yeah. Its a doughnut.

Stet

Banned

$4 apiece is hilarious considering that's exactly what they used to charge when they'd deliver your donuts and make them fresh for you.

What a rip.

Willectro

Banned
Anyone pay for dental insurance (not through work, out of pocket)? I need some dental work (nothing major/painful, just some fillings) but it is insanely expensive. Any experience? Thanks Toronto-Gaf.

Quadratic

Got back from PAX and the terrible options from Pearson drive home how we still don't have a proper TTC mass transit option to the airport. The 192 sucks!

Got back from PAX and the terrible options from Pearson drive home how we still don't have a proper TTC mass transit option to the airport. The 192 sucks!

I prefer the GO bus if I have to transit back and forth. The Union - Pearson link is scheduled for completion prior to the 2015 Games, but I reserve judgement on that one until it's done and usable.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I love it!

I only love it when I'm home. When I'm at work and have to drive/walk in it later I hate it.

Actually my preference is for the hard rain to come down as I'm going to bed. Absolutely love falling asleep to a thunderstorm.

Anony

'customer injury in the track level' aka suicide in (dundas?)
union to eglinton was closed, then bloor to union was closed
ttc cannot handle any subway shutdown well

the last 2 times it happened, it was faster waiting for the subway to reopen than get out of the station and wait for a shuttle bus

just your shit together ttc

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
'customer injury in the track level' aka suicide in (dundas?)
union to eglinton was closed, then bloor to union was closed
ttc cannot handle any subway shutdown well

the last 2 times it happened, it was faster waiting for the subway to reopen than get out of the station and wait for a shuttle bus

just your shit together ttc

The exact same thing happened on saturday. I was just about to get off at eglinton to take the shuttle when they announced that it had been resolved. Sucks for the people who left a minute earlier.

Oppo

I prefer the GO bus if I have to transit back and forth. The Union - Pearson link is scheduled for completion prior to the 2015 Games, but I reserve judgement on that one until it's done and usable.

I was trying to figure out if one could use the new Car2Go service as a cheap airport car. They use nothing but those Smart cars, and you can apparently drop off the car at any green P lot or Car2Go space. Not sure if the airport is an option or not.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was trying to figure out if one could use the new Car2Go service as a cheap airport car. They use nothing but those Smart cars, and you can apparently drop off the car at any green P lot or Car2Go space. Not sure if the airport is an option or not.

It's the one option I wish I had with Zipcar. It's expensive for me if I want to rent one to go visit the inlaws in Mississauga, considering it'll just be sitting there for a few hours as we visit and I'm being charged. Of course, Zipcar has a car in my apartment's parking lot and it's very convenient to use in case of emergencies, or just picking up something from a store. And their customer service has been great.

So many of these quick car rental options now. I doubt I'll ever own a car again.

thabiz

It's the one option I wish I had with Zipcar. It's expensive for me if I want to rent one to go visit the inlaws in Mississauga, considering it'll just be sitting there for a few hours as we visit and I'm being charged. Of course, Zipcar has a car in my apartment's parking lot and it's very convenient to use in case of emergencies, or just picking up something from a store. And their customer service has been great.

So many of these quick car rental options now. I doubt I'll ever own a car again.

Autoshare is great. Use it all the time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Carded at the LCBO for the first time in over a decade today. I must be looking very young, but I'm not sure I'm feeling very young.

Side note: One of the few times I've ever been carded anywhere was a Wal-Mart in the States. It was for a video game, but I can't remember which one it was. Probably Mortal Kombat on the Gamecube, or something. It was weird and I gave him the Are you for serious look.

ZZMitch

Carded at the LCBO for the first time in over a decade today. I must be looking very young, but I'm not sure I'm feeling very young.

Side note: One of the few times I've ever been carded anywhere was a Wal-Mart in the States. It was for a video game, but I can't remember which one it was. Probably Mortal Kombat on the Gamecube, or something. It was weird and I gave him the Are you for serious look.

When did you buy it? I worked at Walmart in Maine during the summer twice and I know my coworkers were asked to card almost everyone during certain times of the year (usually busy times around Christmas). Probably because that was when the local police would use their interns (my friend actually does this now heh) to test the store for illegal sales. This was usually for alcohol or cigarrettes though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Well, you do look like a smarmy underaged hipster...

I'm kidding :D !

After hearing so many great things about Zipcar I joined. Went on a road trip. Car was a lemon, tire exploded, and their customer service started out with "is the car drivable?"

Never again. And, for a journey of that distance/time, renting would have been about the same amount.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
After hearing so many great things about Zipcar I joined. Went on a road trip. Car was a lemon, tire exploded, and their customer service started out with "is the car drivable?"

Never again. And, for a journey of that distance/time, renting would have been about the same amount.

Yeah, I would never rent it for any sort of trip over half a day because I would just rent something from Enterprise then for the same cost. We keep the membership mostly for emergencies, or if we have to get somewhere outside the TTC/ GO's range.

Sounds like a terrible experience though. Never had an issue with their customer service. Always pretty good about refunding for gas when a station wouldn't take their card, but never had to deal with a shitty car.

My girlfriend and I have our birthday's coming up(4 days apart). She and her friends like to dance and my friends don't(I can't). We like to accommodate everyone and prefer venues that have a good dance floor but also an area where you can just chill and chat. There are a lot of places that fit the above but most of them slowly let more and more people in until it's stupid crowded even in the "quiet zones". The best place we've ever found that fits our needs was Andy's Pool Hall but we don't want to repeat. Any suggestions?

Divvy

Yeah, I would never rent it for any sort of trip over half a day because I would just rent something from Enterprise then for the same cost. We keep the membership mostly for emergencies, or if we have to get somewhere outside the TTC/ GO's range.

Sounds like a terrible experience though. Never had an issue with their customer service. Always pretty good about refunding for gas when a station wouldn't take their card, but never had to deal with a shitty car.

I've had some meh experiences with them (not their fault, the previous drivers might have been dicks) but the customer service has always been great and has always given me credit to use to make up for my issues.

Can't really complain about anything else with the service, there's a mazda 3, a mini cooper and a civic hybrid at my lot and they're all pretty fun to drive.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

When I went to Vegas a week ago I was carded all the time when I used my credit card. Something I wish they'd do more over here.

Divvy

What are expecting to come from this trial? The best I'm hoping for is a ban from him running for reelection.

thabiz

What are expecting to come from this trial? The best I'm hoping for is a ban from him running for reelection.

I'm expecting a slap on the wrist, and the money paid back. This would set a very large precedent, that I don't believe the chief justice is willing to make.

I dont think you can ban someone from running in an election. If you did that, I dont think i would like to live in this country anymore.

Divvy

I'm expecting a slap on the wrist, and the money paid back. This would set a very large precedent, that I don't believe the chief justice is willing to make.

I dont think you can ban someone from running in an election. If you did that, I dont think i would like to live in this country anymore.

Well one of the possible outcomes discussed previously would be his removal from office and barring him from running in the next election. I don't see any of that happening, but I believe it is legally possible. I agree that he's just going to get a slap on the wrist for this since yes, no one wants to set that precedence.

I'm not even sure what he did merits removal, as much as I dislike him, but on the other hand it's emblematic of his lack of respect for any and all rules. He's usually not punished for all the stupid things he does so this might be the appropriate place to deal with it. Still, keeping my expectations lowered.

Willectro

Banned

I realize that it isn't so much the sum of money, but that Ford made this error in judgement and doesn't think he should pay it back. That being said, the amount of money we are going to piss away in this process is crazy.

The tough thing that no one wants to hear is that regardless of who the mayor of Toronto is, property tax needs to go up if anything is going to change. But no one who supports that will ever be voted in, so the vicious cycle will continue.

Brinbe

Well one of the possible outcomes discussed previously would be his removal from office and barring him from running in the next election. I don't see any of that happening, but I believe it is legally possible. I agree that he's just going to get a slap on the wrist for this since yes, no one wants to set that precedence.

I'm not even sure what he did merits removal, as much as I dislike him, but on the other hand it's emblematic of his lack of respect for any and all rules. He's usually not punished for all the stupid things he does so this might be the appropriate place to deal with it. Still, keeping my expectations lowered.
Succinctly put, Divvy, that's exactly how I feel too. I'm not expecting Ford's removal, though in principle, it'd be warranted. Expecting some minor penalty and admonishment in all likelihood.

Top Bottom