• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

bspHJ.jpg

Zzoram

They should remove Ford to set a strong precedent that conflict of interest is a serious issue. Too many politicians are wrapped up in conflict of interest issues to be looking out for the people.

thabiz

They should remove Ford to set a strong precedent that conflict of interest is a serious issue. Too many politicians are wrapped up in conflict of interest issues to be looking out for the people.

I will be absolutely floored if hes removed. City of Toronto will not make this decision. Federal cases are usually used to set precedent. The backlash at all governmental levels would be huge. It would destroy the judges career, and most involved. Remember, we have a majority Conservative government. Payback will happen.

As much as the vast majority would like to see this happen, it wont.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I will be absolutely floored if hes removed. City of Toronto will not make this decision. Federal cases are usually used to set precedent. The backlash at all governmental levels would be huge. It would destroy the judges career, and most involved. Remember, we have a majority Conservative government. Payback will happen.

As much as the vast majority would like to see this happen, it wont.

Basically how I feel. The court and council have their own interests to protect and won't want to set a precedent. Whether it's right, or wrong.

Although I'd love to be proven wrong and be able to vote in my first election this fall. :p

thabiz

What do you mean I have to stop for streetcar doors. I'm a busy man!

I hate to give the man credit, but he does know as the mayor of the largest city in Canada, he is not held to the same laws as we are. I guess 10 years on council gives you that insight.

Jeeze, he doesn't even understand what the basic concept of "conflict of interest" is. He keeps insisting it's only a conflict of interest if it benefits him and the city.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I love it,

Ruby asks if good idea to use that card given integrity commissioner criticism of him in 2010 about using city letterhead. "I've never been told I can't use my business card ... I'm not sure what other card I'd use"
He doesn't understand that using a business card that says he's the Mayor and includes a city logo is exactly the same as using city letterhead.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I love it,

He doesn't understand that using a business card that says he's the Mayor and includes a city logo is exactly the same as using city letterhead.

l8zzh.png

"Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorence on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon . . . you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices, and I tell you, people do that all the time."

Yup. Didn't do well on my last lesson. Strange since before that I was perfectly fine. Just want to get this done and over with.

Also failed G1 first time. Really sends on the tester...

I failed the highway test one my first try, I remember being way too nervous about it.

Fuzzy

Lunch break is over.

Ford being asked why he didn't respond to letters from the city's integrity commissioner about use of city resources to solicit funds and soliciting donations from people lobbying him on city business.
Ford is struggling to remember details of a meeting he eventually had with integrity commissioner Janet Leiper.

Divvy

Thanks guys.

I think the prosecutor is doing a fairly good job. He's trying to establish that the ignorance defense shouldn't hold as he's been given ample oppourtunities to educate himself on those matters. Hopefully the judge agrees.

I'm using Twitter.

The evidence and his testimony is pretty damning. With all of this going public via twitter it's going to look really bad if they just give him a slap on the wrist.

If the judge finds that he broke the rules then he's automatically removed from office

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ruby asking Mayor Ford why he ignored a warning at 2010 vote, from then-speaker Sandra Bussin, that he might have been in conflict if he voted. " A lot of it could have been politically motivated in my eyes," Ford said, noting he and Bussin didn't "see eye to eye" on many issues.

"Reckless to ignore" speaker, Ruby asks. Ford says he doesn't want to get into his relationship with the previous speaker. Says Bussin used to cut off his mic.

Ford is bitter.

thabiz

If the judge finds that he broke the rules then he's automatically removed from office

The judge can find Ford: not guilty, guilty of conflict of interest through inadvertence or an error in judgment; or guilty of knowingly breaching the Act. If the judge finds the latter, he has no option but to order that Ford be removed from office

guess which one it will be.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

The outcome: The judge can find Ford: not guilty, guilty of conflict of interest through inadvertence or an error in judgment; or guilty of knowingly breaching the Act. If the judge finds the latter, he has no option but to order that Ford be removed from office, and discretion only on whether to bar him from running for elected office for up to seven years. If Ford is removed from office, the city could either call a mayoral byelection or appoint a replacement from city council ranks.

There are really two sides to the 'guilty' verdict, according to the report. If he's guilty through inadvertence, or error in judgement he can stay in office. If he knowingly breached the act, he's tossed no questions asked. It's really why the prosecution is pushing the point that he was presented with the facts about what he was doing, but he made the decision to ignore them.

Divvy

It really doesn't seem like he was prepped for this at all. He just sounds like an idiot giving excuses the way a child would for not handing in their homework.

The judge can find Ford: not guilty, guilty of conflict of interest through inadvertence or an error in judgment; or guilty of knowingly breaching the Act. If the judge finds the latter, he has no option but to order that Ford be removed from office

guess which one it will be.

But looking at this testimony Ford knew what he was doing and was informed multiple times what he was doing was wrong. With all of this public via twitter/the star it's going to look really bad if the verdict comes back guilty through inadvertence.

I can see it happening though. :(

It really doesn't seem like he was prepped for this at all. He just sounds like an idiot giving excuses the way a child would for not handing in their homework.

Doesn't he have his own lawyer present? I'm shocked at the lack of prep work done. It's like he wasn't expecting this type of questioning at all.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Not a real surprise if you watch council meetings. Or any public speaking event that isn't heavily scripted with a majority of Ford-supporters in the crowd. He has a very tough time with his words under pressure. Still amazing that he was elected, but it was a laughable pool of candidates.

Divvy

Not a real surprise if you watch council meetings. Or any public speaking event that isn't heavily scripted with a majority of Ford-supporters in the crowd. He has a very tough time with his words under pressure. Still amazing that he was elected, but it was a laughable pool of candidates.

True, not really a surprise. I guess I just half expected that even he would at least talk to his lawyer before heading into this.

thabiz

There are really two sides to the 'guilty' verdict, according to the report. If he's guilty through inadvertence, or error in judgement he can stay in office. If he knowingly breached the act, he's tossed no questions asked. It's really why the prosecution is pushing the point that he was presented with the facts about what he was doing, but he made the decision to ignore them.

It will be inadvertence. Everyone knows he broke the rules, so they cant skirt that. They want to set some type of an example without plunging council into chaos.

The political shit storm of tossing him, is too great.

Fuzzy

No, the judge can do anything from a slap on the wrist up to removal from office with a 7 year ban from running for office again. Same thing happened to Hazel in Mississauga in the early '80's and she just got a slap on the wrist.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It will be inadvertence. Everyone knows he broke the rules, so they cant skirt that. They want to set some type of an example without plunging council into chaos.

The political shit storm of tossing him, is too great.

I already agreed with you further up. I was just pointing out what the idea is behind drilling home the fact that he knew what he was doing.

thabiz

But looking at this testimony Ford knew what he was doing and was informed multiple times what he was doing was wrong. With all of this public via twitter/the star it's going to look really bad if the verdict comes back guilty through inadvertence.

I can see it happening though. :(

Look at the bigger picture. This isnt just local politics anymore. A guilty verdict would change the dynamic across the country. If Toronto can toss their mayor, why cant we. This will set off a huge chain reaction.

Also take into account that he is tight with both Harper and Hudak. They will also have something to say about this on Federal and Provincial levels. Politics is a very, very dirty game, and there will be great consequences.

Divvy

No, the judge can do anything from a slap on the wrist up to removal from office with a 7 year ban from running for office again. Same thing happened to Hazel in Mississauga in the early '80's and she just got a slap on the wrist.

Not that I disagree with you on the outcome, but Hazel was unanimously loved back then. People would have thrown a shit.

EDIT: Wow this does not look good for him:

Woodbine is the lone company among the 11 donors who were to get their money back. The race track operator is in north Etobicoke, near his previous ward.

Look at the bigger picture. This isnt just local politics anymore. A guilty verdict would change the dynamic across the country. If Toronto can toss their mayor, why cant we. This will set off a huge chain reaction.

Also take into account that he is tight with both Harper and Hudak. They will also have something to say about this on Federal and Provincial levels. Politics is a very, very dirty game, and there will be great consequences.

You're absolutely right on all accounts too.

I'd love to see it go the other way though. The political shit storm alone would be a joy to watch.

thabiz

You're absolutely right on all accounts too.

I'd love to see it go the other way though. The political shit storm alone would be a joy to watch.

I think council wise, we would be ok. Nobody likes the guy, and the minority that does would fall in line, for fear of the same treatment. Who would the next mayor be? We voted in this creamy centered wingnut, who says they wont just slap his equally retarded brother in?

I would be more concerned elsewhere, leaning to the Provincial level. Conservatives will jump all over this and make things very difficult. Conservatives hold all the money and power now.

Scary shit man. Would be funny to see how red he gets.

Fuzzy

I think council wise, we would be ok. Nobody likes the guy, and the minority that does would fall in line, for fear of the same treatment. Who would the next mayor be? We voted in this creamy centered wingnut, who says they wont just slap his equally retarded brother in?
It would most likely be Doug Holyday since he's the Deputy Mayor but we won't find out because Ford isn't losing his job.

I would be more concerned elsewhere, leaning to the Provincial level. McGuinty's fucked up, and change is coming on that front too.

If the PC`s don`t win in KW tomorrow there will be calls for Hudak to resign as leader

And Doug Ford won`t run, he doesn`t look like he has the care or time to be the face of Toronto

Lots of this ground was covered in the June 28 deposition and by Ford in media interviews but he appears to have opened up a new front by suggesting the city's integrity commissioner might have illegally recommended council force him to repay the money.

Grasping at Straws Mode turn ON.

Top Bottom