• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
bah - having trouble finding a job for the fall. I have one more class left to get my diploma (balls that it had a schedule conflict with another class I took this summer) - so I really need to work while I am taking it. I really don't want to get back into retail, but it's probably the easiest way to make some cash for the fall/while I start applying for real jobs in field.

This part of is always the worst, I hate trawling all these websites looking for any job possible. Are there any job fairs coming up in Toronto you guys know about?

The owner has disabled downloading of their photos

Well there are really simple ways around that, but I'm not sure it's ethical.

If you want it enough, that won't stop you. Bwohoho..

Yep. The people of Toronto are brought up to pirate all media our whole lives (or was that just those of us that grew up in Chinese neighborhoods)... so I'm sure everyone in here knows how to download locked Flickr photos.

Toronto photo of the day:

w06fd.jpg

What I would do to live with that view. Right now looking out my window I see shitty brown apartments and Square One area of Mississauga. I need to get out of Etobicoke.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I really don't understand why people bother trying to stop shit like this. It's not like you even have to do anything special to save the pic.

It's only effective if they use the right framework the host the images. And even then, a screen capture and some editing will get you close to the original. But they way they do it, anyone who uses a good browser (chrome/firefox) and knows how to look at html/css/scripts will have the raw content in seconds.

Watermark your shit and keep it low qual if you wanna keep it to yourself people.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's only effective if they use the right framework the host the images. And even then, a screen capture and some editing will get you close to the original. But they way they do it, anyone who uses a good browser (chrome/firefox) and knows how to look at html/css/scripts will have the raw content in seconds.

Watermark your shit and keep it low qual if you wanna keep it to yourself people.
You don't even need to do that in this case. Save Page As.. gives you the file in a folder.

BTW the Ford case has been pretty boring today. It also looks like they won't finish today and it'll extend to tomorrow. Even then we won't get a verdict for a month or possibly the end of the year.

thabiz

Some guy almost got smoked at York and Adelaide, by a R8. R8 was flying up York. Looks like he didnt think the car was going to go through the yellow. Clipped his briefcase. Surprised he got the speed up at this time of day. Couple of bike couriers took after him down queen.

BTW the Ford case has been pretty boring today. It also looks like they won't finish today and it'll extend to tomorrow. Even then we won't get a verdict for a month or possibly the end of the year.

Dunno, looks like things are wrapping up. It's a shame it'll take a month or more to decide the verdict.

Anyway, the Ford defence:

9Dh7Z.png

Well, the trial's over. We'll have to wait a month or two to see what kind of strongly worded scolding Ford will get (and promptly ignore like everything else.)

Quadratic

I did something really stupid last night. Spilled a beer over half my macbook air keyboard. I assume it's going to be toast eventually with corrosion. Anyone sell their dead/damaged laptops to those wanted ads on craigslist/kajiji? I'm looking at ~400 for my 13.3" 2011 model, think that's a fair price?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I did something really stupid last night. Spilled a beer over half my macbook air keyboard. I assume it's going to be toast eventually with corrosion. Anyone sell their dead/damaged laptops to those wanted ads on craigslist/kajiji? I'm looking at ~400 for my 13.3" 2011 model, think that's a fair price?
Take it to a repair place. I had a student spill wine on his laptop and they were able to clean it out and get it working.

Quadratic

Computer System centre quoted me $1300 to replace the top case and logic board + labour which is $90 per hour.

Carbon Computing said it's $65 to look at and then parts and labour.

Do you remember where your student went to get it repaired? I'm kind of weary of non authorized repair centres.

Mr. F

Banned
Hey Toronto-GAF, just ducking in to see what's new. Been lurking for a while but now that I've moved back for school I feel I can actually participate. The recent Ford business was completely over my head, pretty wild catching up.

Also, I was bored and had 3 minutes so I made a crappy Canadian version of the crying eagle.

iboxDz9p0BN607.png

whitehawk

Banned
Hey Toronto-GAF, just ducking in to see what's new. Been lurking for a while but now that I've moved back for school I feel I can actually participate. The recent Ford business was completely over my head, pretty wild catching up.

Also, I was bored and had 3 minutes so I made a crappy Canadian version of the crying eagle.

iboxDz9p0BN607.png
Will be using this on many occasions.

Anyone else going to go and watch the football (soccer) match tomorrow evening between Canada and Panama?

I go to every Canadian World Cup Qualifying match so I will definitely be there.

It may not be cool to cheer for the Canadian Men's National Team yet... but I don't give a shit. I will support them now and always and if they ever climb the world rankings, then I know I was there from the start (start of my sport-watching life anyway)

Quick

Banned

iboxDz9p0BN607.png

Well done.

This will be used.

Willectro

Banned
Just moved into my new apartment on Saturday. Since yesterday I have had insanely itchy hives all over my body. I've been to the walk in clinic 3 times now and am currently on Benadryl, Zantac, and Prednisone (which I would really rather not take). Nothing seems to help relieve the itching which is really uncomfortable. If nothing changes by tomorrow, I'm going to stay with my parents for the weekend and see if anything improves. I want to get an indoor air quality check done, but that is about $650 and may not prove anything. I read that it could be caused by a mold/mildew build up in my window air conditioner, so I have cleaned the filter and will stop using the A/C for the time being. Hives can occur for so many different reasons its very tough to pinpoint what the cause could be. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just moved into my new apartment on Saturday. Since yesterday I have had insanely itchy hives all over my body. I've been to the walk in clinic 3 times now and am currently on Benadryl, Zantac, and Prednisone (which I would really rather not take). Nothing seems to help relieve the itching which is really uncomfortable. If nothing changes by tomorrow, I'm going to stay with my parents for the weekend and see if anything improves. I want to get an indoor air quality check done, but that is about $650 and may not prove anything. I read that it could be caused by a mold/mildew build up in my window air conditioner, so I have cleaned the filter and will stop using the A/C for the time being. Hives can occur for so many different reasons its very tough to pinpoint what the cause could be. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Are you certain they are hives and not say, bed bug bites?

Willectro

Banned
Are you certain they are hives and not say, bed bug bites?

That was my initial thought but my girlfriend (who I live with) doesn't have any marks at all, the hives move around my body throughout the day, and 2 doctors have said it appears to be hives.

Hives can occur for so many different reasons its very tough to pinpoint what the cause could be. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Unexplained hives are never fun. Check environmental causes - including mould, pollens, detergents, scotch guard (did you get a new mattress recently, change detergents or sheets?) etc, because those are all common skin irritants.

Stress made mine worse. They also made me notice the itching more. Drinking lots of water (flushing my system) seemed to help a bit, as did keeping myself busy.

If it's nothing environmental, check your diet. Your doctor(s) will have a better idea, but hives have also pointed me to some food intolerances.

Looks like Vaughan is staying Liberal and KW is going NDP

McGuinty screwed up but Hudak REALLY screwed up and I'm sure the calls for him to resign are going to get really loud

I go to every Canadian World Cup Qualifying match so I will definitely be there.

It may not be cool to cheer for the Canadian Men's National Team yet... but I don't give a shit. I will support them now and always and if they ever climb the world rankings, then I know I was there from the start (start of my sport-watching life anyway)

Nice, I'm going too, apparently hey are going to have a little "welcome back" celebration for some of the Women Olympians too, showing off their medals etc. Is Panama any good? Do we have a chance to beat them tomorrow?

I was always of the mind that McGuinty never really won. Harris just REALLY REALLY lost.

I'm of the mind that McGuinty is an uncharismatic weenie, and his career was sabotaged by the fact that he had to clean up a mess like none before.

It's similar to Obama, except Obama has charisma.

Edit: Oh, and Harris (the slimeball) was smart enough to resign. He threw Ernie Eves under the bus instead.

Divvy

Our Chinese food is the best in North America, right?

You'll get into fights with Vancouverites over that topic. Though we should really be hugging it out for being awesome while pointing and laughing at New York.

Our indian food certainly is. Chinese you can debate but if you include Markham then we would be up there for sure.

What's your favourite Indian place in town? I'm quite fond of the Copper Chimney, but I haven't been to all that many.

What's your favourite Indian place in town? I'm quite fond of the Copper Chimney, but I haven't been to all that many.

I love "Banjara" for home-cooked style cheap stuff (they are the best value to $ ratio too as I can get a take out vindaloo and eat it 3 times!). Even though the prices are cheap, the food is quite amazing.

"The Host" is great for more fancy style stuff (if anyone goes here, definitely try the Murgh Mirch Tikka. That is chicken with a super spicy green sauce baked on to it. It's my favorite indian dish I've ever had.

"Dhaba" on King Street has a really delicious tandoori chicken.

Whoever mentioned New York is bang on. They should be ashamed of their Chinese and Indian food. It's really bad stuff for someone that lives in Toronto to eat there. My wife was astonished when she moved to Toronto from New York at how much better the food was (especially the indian food).
New York has way better Mexican food than us though so you take the good with the bad I guess. However, judging by the amount of Mexican immigrants that have flooded into our city in the last 5 years (since the US economy turned south), I wouldn't be surprised if the Mexican food improves here soon. It's actually already improving but still very bad in comparison.

Well, typing all that certainly made me hungry. Toronto photo of the day:

YI6dB.jpg

source

Divvy

I love "Banjara" for home-cooked style cheap stuff (they are the best value to $ ratio too as I can get a take out vindaloo and eat it 3 times!). Even though the prices are cheap, the food is quite amazing.

"The Host" is great for more fancy style stuff (if anyone goes here, definitely try the Murgh Mirch Tikka. That is chicken with a super spicy green sauce baked on to it. It's my favorite indian dish I've ever had.

"Dhaba" on King Street has a really delicious tandoori chicken.

Whoever mentioned New York is bang on. They should be ashamed of their Chinese and Indian food. It's really bad stuff for someone that lives in Toronto to eat there. My wife was astonished when she moved to Toronto from New York at how much better the food was (especially the indian food).
New York has way better Mexican food than us though so you take the good with the bad I guess. However, judging by the amount of Mexican immigrants that have flooded into our city in the last 5 years (since the US economy turned south), I wouldn't be surprised if the Mexican food improves here soon. It's actually already improving but still very bad in comparison.

Well, typing all that certainly made me hungry. Toronto photo of the day:

Thanks man, gotta check those out. Love Indian food.

Top Bottom