• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

ZZMitch

Was walking to campus and saw Helen Hunt and William Macy outside of the Windsor Arms, cool stuff. Apparently Tom Hanks was there too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Was walking to campus and saw Helen Hunt and William Macy outside of the Windsor Arms, cool stuff. Apparently Tom Hanks was there too.

We were taking the King Streetcar like idiots yesterday and our driver told everyone on the car 'LOOKS LIKE TOM HANKS IS BLOCKING TRAFFIC. YOU FOLKS MIGHT WANT TO WALK.' Fucking Tom Hanks, slowing me down.

We were taking the King Streetcar like idiots yesterday and our driver told everyone on the car 'LOOKS LIKE TOM HANKS IS BLOCKING TRAFFIC. YOU FOLKS MIGHT WANT TO WALK.' Fucking Tom Hanks, slowing me down.

My brother got very upset with the Queen several years back when they shut down Trafalgar in Oakville for her and he had to take a detour.

thabiz

Speaking of Grand Electric.

Thanks added_time. I checked out La Carnita and it was pretty good. Had the Chorizo Taco. Damn tasty. They dont go nuts with the cilantro which i like.

The person that posted this seems to be banned now but I've heard this mistake made many times now and have to correct it. 905ers don't vote in the Toronto municipal elections. They live outside of city limits and only vote for the mayor in their own city (Mississauga, Markham, Pickering etc..)

Toronto photo of the day:

TymNX.jpg

source

Wow I love this photo. Back when they were putting lights on the cn tower, I had a friend whining nonstop about how Toronto isn't Las Vegas. It looks great honestly.

thabiz

Glad you liked it! I think Grand Electric is still better but La Carnita is still seriously fucking good and doesn't have the two hour line.

Nice layout. Music was a bit loud, but i was there to eat. churros were the bomb.

Still need to check Grand Electric.

I am eternally grateful that they moved most of the TIFF stuff downtown. Now, there's only double the amount of people as usual in Yorkville (the area I work) and the real stupidity is saved for King & John.

Quadratic

Glad you liked it! I think Grand Electric is still better but La Carnita is still seriously fucking good and doesn't have the two hour line.

Went tonight. It was excellent. As long as you get there a bit early, you'll get a table. I was there at 5:45 and there was a bit of a line however there were enough seats with the patio to accommodate everyone. I had the fish, chicken, al pastor and beef cheek tacos. Didn't have enough room for dessert but the key lime pie looked delicious. The michelada wasn't as good as La Carnita's.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just got back from a 3 day weekend visiting your fine city for TIFF. Caught 5 movies between Friday and Saturday and got a nice steak dinner at Barberians.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Just got back from a 3 day weekend visiting your fine city for TIFF. Caught 5 movies between Friday and Saturday and got a nice steak dinner at Barberians.

Should have mentioned you were here, we would have insisted on making your itinerary - up to, and including the trains to avoid because of their weird smells (Scarborough LRT).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Seriously. Bell Media is huge enough already, and what they did to the former CHUM properties is unspeakable.

I'm really liking the new CRTC Chair, even though I don't know much about him.

Konrad von Finckenstein was such a puppet during the ISP battle.. whether he knew it, or not. He totally bought into Bell's line of 'data is like electricity, or oil..'. Or claiming we're not a digital backwater because there 'are no caps on business internet usage!' lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What is the Astral media deal? I feel out of the loop

$3.38 billion dollar buy out of Astral; Canada’s largest pay and specialty TV broadcaster, owning 83 radio stations in 50 Canadian markets, and the third-largest outdoor advertising company.

Lots of outcry from the public and smaller media companies over the buy out, as competition in the media market continues to shrink. Thank Godness we had Konrad von Finckenstein heading the CRTC for all those years, stopping those mega mergers. Oh wait.

I was poking around some photos but there was no topping those classics so I'll take Monday off :)

$3.38 billion dollar buy out of Astral; Canada’s largest pay and specialty TV broadcaster, owning 83 radio stations in 50 Canadian markets, and the third-largest outdoor advertising company.

What crap. They bought Maple Leaf Sports too. Maybe they can just buy the Canadian Government soon!

thabiz

Is Game Shack still going? Havent been up to the Attrium in awhile and will be passing by tomorrow. I always thought they were one of the best shops in TO.

Willectro

Banned
Stopped in at David's Tea (Annex, right on Bloor) today as I wanted to try some loose leaf teas. Overall it was a pretty positive experience. The staff is ridiculously enthusiastic and helpful, but not annoying. They have almost too many types of tea to pick from. You can buy the tea for home(and they have any tea accessory you could need) or they can make you a cup to go. The only downside is that it is a little expensive, but well worth it.

Anyone else going to Amon Tobin tonight at Koolhause? Haven't heard his last two albums, haven't really listened to him since the mid 2000's. a friend invited last minute... should be fun.

It was awesome at the game. Canada won and people were going crazy. So fun.

Yep that match was fun, even though Canada kinda "cheated" with that goal (jumped the gun)..took my date there, she loved it, scored brownie points!

ElNino

Is Game Shack still going? Havent been up to the Attrium in awhile and will be passing by tomorrow. I always thought they were one of the best shops in TO.
Yep, it's still there. I used to buy almost all my games there when I worked in the building, but I don't go by as much anymore.

Yep that match was fun, even though Canada kinda "cheated" with that goal (jumped the gun)..took my date there, she loved it, scored brownie points!

If Panana wouldn't have spent so much time complaining to the ref then they would have been ready for that free kick. Their fault in my eyes.

My wife was sick and couldn't come to the match. She really wanted to go.
I ended up going with these two awesome gay guys I know. They always yell the best stuff at the game.
One of them yelled "Who are you? What are your parents like? Did they send you to Montessori school?" at the opposing team's player when he was lining up for a corner kick. Hearing that random stuff screamed so loud fucking cracks me up!

One of them yelled "Who are you? What are your parents like? Did they send you to Montessori school?" at the opposing team's player when he was lining up for a corner kick. Hearing that random stuff screamed so loud fucking cracks me up!

Haha, yeah it really can get rowdy at the BMO, even during TFC games. It's been two years since I've been to one though. but yeah, it was kind of getting a bit hectic where we were sitting too, we were closer to the Panama goal in the second half, so every time De Rosario or another Canada forward was charging the net, everyone would stand up, in anticipation of a goal. there was this one guy in front of us, I think he had a knee or a back problem, poor guy, couldn't stand up with the rest of the crowd, he starts yelling... "Sit down!! you can still see, the engineers designed it that way!" There was a drunk Portuguese guy beside us, kept turning around and yelling stuff, and he was just being ridiculous with the screaming. I felt bad for my date, and we tried our best to not encourage him!

Also my bro told me that goals was fair, there's no need for the refs whistle, Panama defense suppose to be right up in front of the ball blocking the kicker etc. I still think it was a poor goal..but a goal's a goal I guess.

Azih

Thanks man, gotta check those out. Love Indian food.

Try Lahore Tikka House as well. And branch out from the staples as it's got some great authentic Pakistani food (think less creamy, but spicier than Indian). For example Nihari and Haleem.

zroid

Banned
Try Lahore Tikka House as well. And branch out from the staples as it's got some great authentic Pakistani food (think less creamy, but spicier than Indian). For example Nihari and Haleem.

Lahore, while good, I find a bit too greasy. If it's not too far out of the way, I recommend this little place called Fahim in Markham (north side of Steeles, east of McCowan).

Great food, a little bit pricey, but no moreso than LTH, I think.

---

changing gears, any meet-ups planned for the Zelda concert on Saturday?

For those that like spicy stuff, Sri Lankan food really brings the heat! I have a friend from Sri Lanka that makes the craziest hottest stuff for me to eat!

Azih

Lahore, while good, I find a bit too greasy. If it's not too far out of the way, I recommend this little place called Fahim in Markham (north side of Steeles, east of McCowan).

Great food, a little bit pricey, but no moreso than LTH, I think.
Honestly there's no shortage of South Asian stuff in the city and especially the suburbs. LTH is the best Pakistani stuff close to downtown that I know of and the naan is top notch anyway.

Plus people should try Nihari and Haleem. I've grown up eating this stuff so I'm a bit immune but I'm sure the Nihari especially will burn some tongues off.

That Aladdin argument thread brings back some good memories! I actually won the SNES version on that Video & Arcade Top 10 show

I came in 3rd playing Battleclash for the SNES Super Scope :(

My cousin got to play A Link to the Past........I would have won easily if I had gotten to play LTTP as I had already beat the game at a friend's house

Roto13

I remember a lot of kids on that show not remembering that the goal was always something like "Collect lots of rupees" so they didn't play to maximize their number of rupees, just progress in the game.

I remember a lot of kids on that show not remembering that the goal was always something like "Collect lots of rupees" so they didn't play to maximize their number of rupees, just progress in the game.

For LttP they had to get as far as possible in the game...........I told my cousin to head up to the palace and turn right and hit all the bushes to find the entrance but he went left instead =/

Quadratic

Anyone been to Salad King recently? I haven't gone since I went to Ryerson years ago and it was before the fire. I have a TIFF screening at AMC dundas tomorrow. I wanted to know if their quality is still decent.

Flash

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone been to Salad King recently? I haven't gone since I went to Ryerson years ago and it was before the fire. I have a TIFF screening at AMC dundas tomorrow. I wanted to know if their quality is still decent.

I still think they're pretty decent, but be prepared to pay more. It's no longer what I would consider really cheap eats.

Top Bottom