• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

shortyme

Kave_Man said:
But I love my bass booming beats from my headphones. I only turn it up so loud to try to drown out the screeching and noise from the tracks and TTC cars themself. :(

Yup. I really only turn them down when a senior sits beside me.

EvilMario said:
Well, token increases would come with the cash fare increase. It's nearly guaranteed that the token bundles (buying 5-10 at a time) would increase as well, as it has in the past.

The reason I was asking was because there was definitely at least one time where the cash fare was raised but tokens remained the same price. It seems random but sometimes the tokens increase with the cash fare and other times they don't.
I hope they won't this time since I use them.

ProdicalFlame said:
Yup. I really only turn them down when a senior sits beside me.
This is only a problem because iPods and the like come with really shitty ear buds that leak noise all over the place. This wouldn't be a problem if people had decent inear headphones.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If anybody decides to go to Xtreme fitness. Here's some advice. They WILL push personal training on you for a ridiculous price. DO. NOT. CAVE! Keep telling them 'no' and stay firm. Don't be polite since they get aggressive if you show any hesitation.

The TTC is a horribly managed mess. I know Ford isn't helping things, but it's only gotten worse and worse since I moved back here. I've never run a transit system, but I can't imagine it being so difficult to make some changes to keep your customers happy.

- rude drivers
- stopping at lights and in the middle of the street to run to the store
- not sticking to your schedule
- a text notification system that doesn't work
- high prices
- questionable stop placements and routes (81 bus that is almost always at the stn?! When people wait for a 72 bus for 40 minutes when it's 'constant service'?)

whitehawk

Banned
added_time said:
LEVIATHAN NEW AT WONDERLAND 2012

This roller coaster looks absolutely incredible! It makes the old coasters like Dragon Fire look like a kid's ride!

STATS:

The first Bolliger and Mabillard Giga (300 feet +) in the world!
The tallest and fastest coaster in Canada.
The fifth tallest coaster in the world.
306 feet
80 degree first drop
3 min. 28 second ride time
92 mph (148 km/h)
5,486' (1,672m) long
$28 million (U.S.)
How come the first person video is only 1:12 long then....

zeitgeist

Hey Toronto Gaf, I am hoping to join your club and move to Toronto soon and I have a few questions.

I'm looking for a place and so far the only sites I have tried are Craigslist, Kijiji, view it and My hood. Are there any others that you recommend?

Also, I will be working in the West End so I was hoping to get a place around there but I need some search terms for neighbourhoods in that area. All I know of are Etobicoke, The Annex and Roncesvalles. Are there any others? (Maybe some that are a bit cheaper but not ones I will get murdered in.

If anyone has any awesome real estate/ room rental tips and secrets please feel free to share them. Thanks.

My biggest annoyances when it comes to the TTC:

1) the double stack. Have fun waiting 30 mins for the next one. I've even seen the rare triple stack.

2) When they stop before the pole and you aren't sure whether or not to run up to them, and then they just skip your stop

3) rude ass drivers that are stingy with the amount of people they can fit during the busiest hours

There seems to be no standards when it comes to TTC busses. It's an all-out anything fucking goes warfare out there. Luck of the draw.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
zeitgeist said:
Hey Toronto Gaf, I am hoping to join your club and move to Toronto soon and I have a few questions.

I'm looking for a place and so far the only sites I have tried are Craigslist, Kijiji, view it and My hood. Are there any others that you recommend?

Also, I will be working in the West End so I was hoping to get a place around there but I need some search terms for neighbourhoods in that area. All I know of are Etobicoke, The Annex and Roncesvalles. Are there any others? (Maybe some that are a bit cheaper but not ones I will get murdered in.

If anyone has any awesome real estate/ room rental tips and secrets please feel free to share them. Thanks.

Check out MLS

It's pretty good.

EDIT: Check for signs of begbugs before you move in anywhere. Better safe than sorry.

zeitgeist said:

In my experience, I've always found better places from just walking around neighborhoods looking for "FOR RENT" signs. Everytime I found a place online on viewit, I show up and like 10 other people were looking at it. When I found a nice place with a sign up, I just walk in and take a look and sign the lease that day. Maybe I just have great luck though.

Median

zeitgeist said:

There's also http://www.padmapper.com which isn't too bad. And for the bedbugs, there's this http://bedbugregistry.com/metro/toronto/

Stet

Banned
zeitgeist said:

http://viewit.ca/ is always pretty useful, but yeah cross reference against the bed bug registry.

Having decent headphones lets me get all the bass I want/need and not piss off people around me

And I like those posters, so many people are just fucking selfish on the TTC (and in general)

roddur

-Pyromaniac- said:
My biggest annoyances when it comes to the TTC:

1) the double stack. Have fun waiting 30 mins for the next one. I've even seen the rare triple stack.

2) When they stop before the pole and you aren't sure whether or not to run up to them, and then they just skip your stop

3) rude ass drivers that are stingy with the amount of people they can fit during the busiest hours

There seems to be no standards when it comes to TTC busses. It's an all-out anything fucking goes warfare out there. Luck of the draw.

and the drivers will see u running towards the bus and they can stop without any problem to pick u up, yet will drive away. and then u wait for the bus which suppose come in <10 mins will not show up another 30+ mins

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
One other thing the TTC needs to do is have timed transfers, and fare zones. Timed transfers mean once you're in the system, you can get off and back on in the set time (think an hour). Thus, you don't have to pay two fares if you need to go to the grocery store for 15 minutes. A bunch of systems use these..

But even more pressing are the fare zones. It's one way they could make up a lot of money. Going from Kipling to Kennedy shouldn't cost the same as going from Queen to Bloor. It's just common sense, and the old municipality lines make sense if you're only thinking about two zones.

zeitgeist said:
Hey Toronto Gaf, I am hoping to join your club and move to Toronto soon
and I have a few questions.

Hi zeitgiest, welcome to Toronto (or soon at least). Those sites you listed are the common ones, but one of the best ways to look for an apartment is just to walk around a neighorhood that interest you. There are usually signs in front of the buildings, giving you information like phone numbers, website, etc. You can do a bit of research on the building then by Googling. I recommend looking at http://bedbugregistry.com/ too, because there are quite a few buildings with problems.

I live in Swawsea on the west end. It borders Etobicoke, Bloor West Village and Roncesvalles. The two before mentioned neighborhoods are very nice, but rent can sometimes me tough to find. A bit further west is Parkdale with some cheaper housing (but a bit shadier than some places) and further north on Keele/Parkside is the Junction (which has recently become hipster central). Both are serviced by TTC streetcars and subways.

west-end_700.png

One thing I would recommend doing is calling buildings, because many places won't respond to e-mails. It's the sad truth, because I would just prefer people e-mailing me back about my questions. Oh well. Happy apartment hunting!

Draff

zeitgeist said:

Queen/Dundas and Ossington is a great area.
Annex is awesome as well.

Oppo

I will second the advice on just finding a neighborhood you like, with the access you like, and look for viewit.ca and other for-rent signs. If you have a smartphone you can check everything as you go. Be aware that often they'll have to give 24h to the people in the unit, so what i used to do is go out Saturday,knock on doors and request appointments for Sunday. Also check for mid-month ads, often there's less competition for those, if you can swing it. Not very many bad neighborhoods in Toronto, some are a little sketchy but as long as you aren't at Jane and Finch or way out on Eglinton West it should be fine. Er, maybe avoid Parkdale too, unless you really like the place. It can be hit or miss. Roncesvalles is nice, I lived over there, and Bloor West Village is good too. Beaches is very nice but a bit pricey, as is Yonge & Eglinton. I'd look around St. Clair and Yonge or in the Annex, lots of good rentals there.

If you have a dog I'd steer towards larger buildings. Technically you can't bar anyone on the basis of dog or cat ownership from renting, but many smaller landlords do anyways.

Oppo

Magnus said:
Not a fan of the Queen West area past Spadina. Grungy as fuck.
What, the antiques district?

Have you been over there lately? Theres definitely some sketchy buildings but like King West, it's changing rapidly. Condos, etc.

Magnus

PortTwo said:
What, the antiques district?

Have you been over there lately? Theres definitely some sketchy buildings but like King West, it's changing rapidly. Condos, etc.

More that it's just unsafe and dirty. Ossington area near Queen or Dundas, the CAMH crowd, the wild encounters at night...two different friends of mine were mugged in the area (anecdotal, I know). I just don't even feel slightly safe there and it's certainly not pretty.

I've always favored Yonge, anywhere from Eglinton on down to Union Station. Alive and exciting and modern.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
By the way, this is where my wife and I live right now. It's toward the south end of Swansea, so it's 3 minutes walking to the 501 Queen Streetcar. The 77 bus also takes you to the subway, or a twenty minute walk.

Pet friendly, and great landlords. We've been here nearly five years now, and it's by far the best rental experience I've had. Units are inclusive, and range from $675 for Bachelors, $825 for one bedrooms, and $1,025 for two bedrooms. Those can go up by around $100, depending on the size of the unit and if it has a balcony.

Just be aware that there isn't much to walk to in the area shopping wise (lots to do outdoors though). You'll probably end up taking either the bus (No Frills on Bloor), or streetcar (Sobey's) to do it. I walk to both a lot, but it's not for the lazy. :)

http://www.greenwin.ca/apartments-for-rent/details/windermere-gardens

Pictures from around the area:
DSC01461.JPG

DSC01477.JPG

DSC01000.JPG

DSC00081.JPG

DSC01605.JPG

But then of course, in the winter..

DSC01712.JPG

Magnus said:
More that it's just unsafe and dirty. Ossington area near Queen or Dundas, the CAMH crowd, the wild encounters at night...two different friends of mine were mugged in the area (anecdotal, I know). I just don't even feel slightly safe there and it's certainly not pretty.

I've always favored Yonge, anywhere from Eglinton on down to Union Station. Alive and exciting and modern.

King West at Shaw is a totally different beast than Queen West at Shaw/Ossington. That's just how the city goes. Two minutes walking and the neighborhoods can transform entirely from trendy to run down. There are not too many areas west of Yonge I would be too worried about though, even in some shadier areas of Queen West and Parkdale. I'd prefer to stay out of the core because it doesn't have enough green space for the dog, and the clubbing crowd during the night is not appealing to me.

My favorite neighborhoods are Roncesvalles, Bloor West, Yonge & St Clair, and the Beach. All of those, outside of the Beach, should be easily accessible for work in the west end, although the commute from St Clair might not be that great (unless the work is around St Clair on the west end, just take the streetcar).

Lots of variety. Our friendly user looking for an apartment could sign a short term lease, and then experience the neighborhoods for himself, he could probably determine better where he'd want to live.

EvilMario said:
But even more pressing are the fare zones. It's one way they could make up a lot of money. Going from Kipling to Kennedy shouldn't cost the same as going from Queen to Bloor. It's just common sense

The problem with fare zones is that it would punish the poorest residents of the city. They would leave the downtown core at the same price it is now but then the poorest areas of Scarborough and Etobicoke would be paying much more.

zeitgeist

EvilMario said:
Lots of variety. Our friendly user looking for an apartment could sign a short term lease, and then experience the neighborhoods for himself, he could probably determine better where he'd want to live.

Actually I have to sign a short term lease anyways which makes matters much more difficult. My job is contract based so I plan to be a nomad for the next little while until I can afford to get settled. I am hoping to start as far west as possible and move farther east as my finances allow it.

I am not really worried about something kinda grungy or a bit sketchy for now because it is temporary but these sites and tips are all amazing. Thanks a lot. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon though.

Also, thank you SO MUCH for the bedbug registry. I'm not going to lie, bedbugs are my biggest concern about moving anywhere.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So for those curious about the Xbox demo store....there are a lot more games than they showed in that ad. First off Forza is playable with the controller but they do have Kinect set up for headtracking. To be honest I didn't try the headtracking because it didn't seem like it was calibrated very well. As far as the game itself it was the same Alps track they've been showing with 3 cars to choose from. No other options for the game were available. Looks great but their TV is calibrated horribly so everything was WAY to contrasty.

The other games I saw:

Gears of War 3 - Horde Mode
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
From Dust
Dance Central 2
Kinect Star Wars
Kinect Sports 2
Gunstringer
Fruit Ninja
Disneyland Adventures
Sesame Street - Once Upon A Monster

The Kinect stations are really glitchy due to the bright lights, lots of people and poor calibration. Despite that I really liked Gunstringer and my girlfriend's 8 year old LOVED Kinect Star Wars even though it was having trouble tracking him. You get to play as a Rancor and terrorize a village in one section. Fun stuff.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
added_time said:
The problem with fare zones is that it would punish the poorest residents of the city. They would leave the downtown core at the same price it is now but then the poorest areas of Scarborough and Etobicoke would be paying much more.

Scarborough (Scarborough Bluffs, The Guild) and Etobicoke (Rosethorn, Humber Valley) do have some of the most expensive areas in the city, just like the core has some of the poorest in the city (Moss Park, Jameson+King, Oakwood and Vaughan).

Any time you're talking about increasing fares, it's going to hurt the poorest. Even the VRT being brought back will hit the poor that need a car the hardest; the person driving his Porsche won't even notice the pocket change is missing.

I think fare zones makes plenty of sense. There are lots of deals to be had in the city, with one bedroom even in the core being under $1,000. I'm not sure it hurts the poor any worse than other solutions.

Kinitari said:
It would be fantastic, and I have no idea why they wouldn't pursue it - my only guess is that they are working on so many other projects, it seems like an unnecessary expense. And I think maybe the TTC union doesn't like the idea of automation.

I missed this, but I'll comment now. Yes, the reason why you won't see automation like you do in other systems is the union. Anything that means job loss, even if it means balancing the books, is unfathomable for them. But that's their job..

whitehawk

Banned
StudioTan said:
So for those curious about the Xbox demo store....there are a lot more games than they showed in that ad. First off Forza is playable with the controller but they do have Kinect set up for headtracking. To be honest I didn't try the headtracking because it didn't seem like it was calibrated very well. As far as the game itself it was the same Alps track they've been showing with 3 cars to choose from. No other options for the game were available. Looks great but their TV is calibrated horribly so everything was WAY to contrasty.

The other games I saw:

Gears of War 3 - Horde Mode
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
From Dust
Dance Central 2
Kinect Star Wars
Kinect Sports 2
Gunstringer
Fruit Ninja
Disneyland Adventures
Sesame Street - Once Upon A Monster

The Kinect stations are really glitchy due to the bright lights, lots of people and poor calibration. Despite that I really liked Gunstringer and my girlfriend's 8 year old LOVED Kinect Star Wars even though it was having trouble tracking him. You get to play as a Rancor and terrorize a village in one section. Fun stuff.
WHAT?!

WHERE IS THIS XBOX DEMO STORE??

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
roddur said:
and the drivers will see u running towards the bus and they can stop without any problem to pick u up, yet will drive away. and then u wait for the bus which suppose come in <10 mins will not show up another 30+ mins
There was a section in the metro where the TTC tried to explain why things are.

Rider complaint.

TTC non-commital and side-stepping response.

Honestly, they can't even own up to mistakes. If they want support, admit they've been doing a shitty job (they have) and publically announce that they'll fix it. Fucking traffic isn't to blame for the triple stack of 72 buses I saw last week.

Areas to live in? Hmmm...EM's area is good, but I'm in Riverdale and like how it's close to downtown, beaches, distillery, and Danforth.

whitehawk

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Not sure what store he is talking about but Microsoft leased a store during Kinect launch near Yonge and Queen (the store however was locked up a few months after christmas). Maybe it's the same store.
That's what I was thinking. I'm surprised that they may still be using it though. Maybe no one had bought it yet so they figured "Hey, we got it still, let's make use of it."

Draff

shagg_187 said:
Not sure what store he is talking about but Microsoft leased a store during Kinect launch near Yonge and Queen (the store however was locked up a few months after christmas). Maybe it's the same store.

Walked by that store yesterday around midnight. Still locked up with no signs of anyone leasing it.

The TTC service is pretty great compared to the subway in NYC for example. I used to spend half my time in New York and I couldn't believe how unreliable the subways were there. They routinely made me hours late for meetings. Once I waited an hour and a half for a subway.
The TTC has only made me late for something once in my entire life. I'm not saying the TTC shouldn't be improved because there are LOTS and LOTS of things wrong with it but I find the service to be pretty reliable when compared to New York at least.

edit: actually now that I think about it... I'm only referring to subway service. The bus routes on the TTC are far less reliable than the subways.

Draff

added_time said:
The TTC service is pretty great compared to the subway in NYC for example. I used to spend half my time in New York and I couldn't believe how unreliable the subways were there. They routinely made me hours late for meetings. Once I waited an hour and a half for a subway.
The TTC has only made me late for something once in my entire life. I'm not saying the TTC shouldn't be improved because there are LOTS and LOTS of things wrong with it but I find the service to be pretty reliable when compared to New York at least.

edit: actually now that I think about it... I'm only referring to subway service. The bus routes on the TTC are far less reliable than the subways.

The only thing that annoys me about the subway is how often the yonge-university line is closed for maintenance. Taking the shuttle is a pain in the ass.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Draff said:
The only thing that annoys me about the subway is how often the yonge-university line is closed for maintenance. Taking the shuttle is a pain in the ass.

Co-sign, I went to the Lil Wayne concert last night and stayed out a bit late. I hate the fact you have to take a shuttle bus from Eglinton up. Adds another 45 minutes easily to my trek home. :(

Nobility

Banned
Save me Toronto-GAF,

I have Bell for internet right now and since I am in a new area in Scarborough, I can't get anything higher than their shitty Fibe 6 plan so I want to move to Teksavvy.

Apparently Teksavvy isn't servicing new customers in my area because of high demand. :(

Rogers a 50% deal right now for two years (first year is 50% then pay full price for the rest of the contract). Is there an option that I am missing, I don't want to go to Rogers but it seems to be the better choice right now.

Magnus

The TTC is such a mixed bag lately. Bus routes can be alarmingly on schedule, to the minute, or suffer from massive stacking (2-4 -- Yes, FOUR -- buses back to back, leaving huge gaps in service), seemingly at random.

Shuttle service during subway emergency shutdowns (which are sadly a near-weekly reality, sometimes twice or three times a week, not including the scheduled subway downtimes) is always depressingly behind (one shuttle every five minutes is NOT enough to replace a fucking subway train that normally comes by every four minutes).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nobility said:
Save me Toronto-GAF,

I have Bell for internet right now and since I am in a new area in Scarborough, I can't get anything higher than their shitty Fibe 6 plan so I want to move to Teksavvy.

Apparently Teksavvy isn't servicing new customers in my area because of high demand. :(

Rogers a 50% deal right now for two years (first year is 50% then pay full price for the rest of the contract). Is there an option that I am missing, I don't want to go to Rogers but it seems to be the better choice right now.
Primus, if you're doing DSL.

Roto13

Ha, that last strike was really close. A flash and a really loud bang a moment later. Now I hear sirens. Maybe something happened.

EDIT: Fffffffuck, another one. Amazing.

Anony

north york here, short and heavy thunder/lightning storms
pretty common this summer actually

i'm moving to cambridge for a year on PEY ;_;
i still havent found a place yet, and job starts on sept 6th

Top Bottom