• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

The Oakville crowd on here is larger than I thought. Wow.

Out of curiosity, which schools did you guys go to? I went to OT. (What seems a lifetime ago.)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
lunarworks said:

Out of curiosity, which schools did you guys go to? I went to OT. (What seems a lifetime ago.)

I went there for Animation at Sheridan and graduated last year. It was REALLY boring living there especially in the Sheridan area.

BKXB

Economist
lunarworks said:

OT, graduated in 2001.

Divvy said:
I went there for Animation at Sheridan and graduated last year. It was REALLY boring living there especially in the Sheridan area.
Oakville is the definition of suburban dullness. It's a great place if you're under 13 or over 30, but if you're anything in between, it's hell.

I lived there until my mid-20s simply because I couldn't afford a place in the city. The GO Train was my lifeline to sanity.

BKXB said:
OT, graduated in 2001.
You probably started there just after I left.

StevieP

Banned
added_time said:
This sounds like everyone I know from my youth. We all grew up in Scarborough and every single person I know moved downtown including me. It makes sense that some people in Oakville would want to do the same.

I'm still in Scarborough. And I just bought a townhouse a couple years back, so I'm here for life! lol

Damn the media and its "scarborough is violent" operation over the last couple decades :p

Magnus

lunarworks said:

University of Toronto, St. George Campus from '03-'09, and a postgrad at Humber last year (Lakeshore Campus, out in bumfuck nowhere Etobicoke) for TV Production/Writing.

cbox

My major didn't require any essay writing, but my electives always did. I agree, and dread those days. Maybe i'm looking more for continuing education

Rinoa

Firest0rm said:
Can anyone recommend a good dance studio in the downtown area? A place which has a young crowd 20-30 year olds. Good for learning a new dance and socializing.

Are you looking for singles dancing or just group lessons? My friends and I go to Anna's Dance Centre on Bloor (between Christie&Bathurst) for group lessons. It's $5 a lesson and you can stay the full two hours of that evening or more instead of just one. There's no cheaper place in the city.

Firest0rm

Rinoa said:
Are you looking for singles dancing or just group lessons? My friends and I go to Anna's Dance Centre on Bloor (between Christie&Bathurst) for group lessons. It's $5 a lesson and you can stay the full two hours of that evening or more instead of just one. There's no cheaper place in the city.

When you say singles do you mean 1 on 1 lessons? Or dancing for single folks? I'm looking for the latter. Would like to use it as an opportunity to meet some ladies while improving my dancing

Azih

BigJonsson said:
CTV poll on who would make best Premier

Dalton 30
Hudak 29
Undecided 15
None 11
Can't remember what Horvath got

I'm backing Dalton McGuinty this time around. He's done a good job. And I'm shocked that the opening moves of his campaign have been as strong as they are. Actually staking out a strong position and defending it. Most Ontarians like moving to a more green energy economy it seems like for example and if he succeeds in making Hudak seem out of touch then he's golden. There's also been a huge ad push championing the government services that Ontario provides. That's just a really positive message that directly attacks Hudak's so far one note campaign.

If he publicly takes some of the good populist ideas from Andrea Howarth's campaign as well then he should have the center wrapped up.

We'll see though.

Rinoa

Firest0rm said:
When you say singles do you mean 1 on 1 lessons? Or dancing for single folks? I'm looking for the latter. Would like to use it as an opportunity to meet some ladies while improving my dancing

Singles = Dancing studios that are specifically for single people only (people who don't have a regular partner). I've never been to these but I noticed one at the north east corner of Dundas and Spadina.

1 on 1 lessons = expensive and for students who probably wanna compete

Group lessons = If you don't have a partner sometimes you can get matched up, or sometimes people switch partners/out. Not a dating scene but is a fun social thing.

ZZMitch

lunarworks said:

I am starting at UofT St. George in a little over two weeks as a freshman. Living in a huge city like Toronto + going to college are going to be two major changes for me...

Quick

Banned
Divvy said:

I went there for 2 years for Advertising, hated the program in the end. I lived just across the campus for a year, and it is fucking boring. Monaghan's gets tiring after a few visits after classes, same with the school bar and Lourice's. However, Lourice's chicken shawarma is amazing.

ConvenientBox said:
Anyone go to Seneca @ York? Man I miss going back to school :( Would love to do another 2 yr course.

Seneca @ York represent!

Recently finished, haven't actually applied to graduate though. I just keep forgetting.

I'm skipping 2011 since I honestly don't know what to do and I don't want to waste any money going to school for the sake of simply going.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Quick said:
I went there for 2 years for Advertising, hated the program in the end. I lived just across the campus for a year, and it is fucking boring. Monaghan's gets tiring after a few visits after classes, same with the school bar and Lourice's. However, Lourice's chicken shawarma is amazing.

Yeah the food situation there was dire. Although there were a few standouts. The Wingery still has by far the best wings I've ever had in my entire life. Artisano's was quite excellent and Pita Nutsy up trafalgar has some of the best shwarmas and wraps around. On the other hand, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE TO DO.

Azih

ZZMitch said:
I am starting at UofT St. George in a little over two weeks as a freshman. Living in a huge city like Toronto + going to college are going to be two major changes for me...
Congrats on both dude, where you coming in from?

whitehawk

Banned
ZZMitch said:
I'm starting at UofT St. George this fall as well, but I've been in toronto my whole life and I'm staying at home :)

StevieP said:
I'm still in Scarborough. And I just bought a townhouse a couple years back, so I'm here for life! lol

Damn the media and its "scarborough is violent" operation over the last couple decades :p

Just for the record, I loved growing up in Scarborough and found it very safe and not violent at all. I only left because I hate driving so I wanted to live somewhere that I could walk / subway / bike ride everywhere. So I moved to the Annex and love it and will be here for life!

Quick

Banned
Divvy said:
Yeah the food situation there was dire. Although there were a few standouts. The Wingery still has by far the best wings I've ever had in my entire life. Artisano's was quite excellent and Pita Nutsy up trafalgar has some of the best shwarmas and wraps around. On the other hand, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE TO DO.

I went to Seneca @ York right after, and goddamn it was awesome. Huge-ass campus to hang around, York's food court has a huge selection, there's a shopping area, and this is all inside the campus. It's a bit dull outside the campus, but still plenty of things to check out.

ZZMitch

whitehawk said:
I'm starting at UofT St. George this fall as well, but I've been in toronto my whole life and I'm staying at home :)

That's cool, are you going to orientation?

And the town I live in is actually called Scarborough, so when I said that to people in Toronto they assumed it was the Scarborough there :p

whitehawk

Banned
ZZMitch said:

And the town I live in is actually called Scarborough, so when I said that to people in Toronto they assumed it was the Scarborough there :p
You should probably tell me when orientation is lol.

Also are you going to frosh week?

ZZMitch said:

Well, Scarborough, before it was amalgamated in 1997, was its own actual city, so it's justifiable for them to think that. Which Scarborough are you from?

As for the school question, I meant schools in Oakville, but since we've expanded beyond that, I went to OCAD and then George Brown. :p

ZZMitch

whitehawk said:
You should probably tell me when orientation is lol.

Also are you going to frosh week?

By orientation I meant frosh week :p

lunarworks said:
Well, Scarborough, before it was amalgamated in 1997, was its own actual city, so it's justifiable for them to think that. Which Scarborough are you from?

Scarborough, Maine.

ZZMitch

whitehawk said:
ah okay lol. I just registered. Should be fun.

Frosh weeks are different for each college right?

Yeah I think so, but there are times when they meet up I believe? I am in Victoria.

whitehawk

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Yeah I think so, but there are times when they meet up I believe? I am in Victoria.
I'm in Woodsworth (The one no one knows about :(). I would have rather be in Victoria or University (I applied to university). Are you on res though?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BigJonsson said:
CTV poll on who would make best Premier

Dalton 30
Hudak 29
Undecided 15
None 11
Can't remember what Horvath got

I'm not for 'strategic' voting, but I'd vote for McGuinty because Hudak was would disastrous. McGuinty's eHealth scandal and HST loom over him, but it's not like B.C. where the HST will be the death of the Liberals. They have a chance here, but they'll probably end up shooting themselves in the foot.

ZZMitch

whitehawk said:
I'm in Woodsworth (The one no one knows about :(). I would have rather be in Victoria or University (I applied to university). Are you on res though?

Yeah, in residence. How does the college effect you since you are a commuter? Just meal plans?

EvilMario said:
They have a chance here, but they'll probably end up shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm voting for the Liberals but I have a strong feeling about that same thing. That they are going to blow it big time.

Zzoram

EvilMario said:
I'm not for 'strategic' voting, but I'd vote for McGuinty because Hudak was would disastrous. McGuinty's eHealth scandal and HST loom over him, but it's not like B.C. where the HST will be the death of the Liberals. They have a chance here, but they'll probably end up shooting themselves in the foot.

HST isn't even a bad thing in principle, it vastly simplifies the paperwork for businesses and in the long run will benefit them. HST is only possible due to Provincial + Federal co-operation, meaning that Harper and the Federal Conservatives approved of the idea for both BC and Ontario, yet Conservatives have painted it as a purely Liberal negative somehow.

The only reason people got mad is because a few things that used to only get PST or GST now have HST which is higher as it's PST+GST. That can be solved with certain exemptions.

eHealth was very poorly managed, but it is something that needs to be done and they've brought in new people who should run it better.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Zzoram said:
HST isn't even a bad thing in principle, it vastly simplifies the paperwork for businesses and in the long run will benefit them. HST is only possible due to Provincial + Federal co-operation, meaning that Harper and the Federal Conservatives approved of the idea for both BC and Ontario, yet Conservatives have painted it as a purely Liberal negative somehow.

The only reason people got mad is because a few things that used to only get PST or GST now have HST which is higher as it's PST+GST. That can be solved with certain exemptions.

eHealth was very poorly managed, but it is something that needs to be done and they've brought in new people who should run it better.

Not saying the HST was a terrible thing, but they did not do a good job selling it. Most people felt like the Liberals attitude was 'nah nah, we're doing this and you can't stop us'. Conservatives of course play up any Liberal 'tax hike/remodeling' as a crime against humanity, which doesn't help with Joe-public. Average tax payer won't think about a joint effort when they hear HST, only the Liberals shoving it down their throats.

I wish McGuinty would have fought for Transit City more once Ford was elected, but he tucked tail and agreed to play nice. Oh well.

Zzoram

Oh, and Harper got rid of any incentive to not strategically vote, at least Federally. They killed the $2/vote government subsidy for Federal political parties. This means they have to raise money entirely from donations, meaning that Canadian politics is going to take a turn for the worse like in the US.

Azih

EvilMario said:
I wish McGuinty would have fought for Transit City more once Ford was elected, but he tucked tail and agreed to play nice. Oh well.
You can't really overrule the mayor of a city. Sucks but what can you do.

Honestly eHealth is the only thing I don't like about Dalton's tenure so far. Greenbelt rocks, Green energy investment rocks, City of Toronto Act rocks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Azih said:
You can't really overrule the mayor of a city. Sucks but what can you do.

Honestly eHealth is the only thing I don't like about Dalton's tenure so far. Greenbelt rocks, Green energy investment rocks, City of Toronto Act rocks.

Well, Ford was still counting on the money from the Province to fund his subway extension. There might have been an opportunity to pull out of that, and tell them they either follow through with the Transit City plan, or there won't be any funding. At least try to use it as leverage to save a few pieces of the project. At least Eglinton LRT is still going to happen, even if it'll be laughable underground the entire route.

The issue with that is, they don't want to upset the former Liberal stronghold known as Toronto.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
Not saying the HST was a terrible thing, but they did not do a good job selling it. Most people felt like the Liberals attitude was 'nah nah, we're doing this and you can't stop us'. Conservatives of course play up any Liberal 'tax hike/remodeling' as a crime against humanity, which doesn't help with Joe-public. Average tax payer won't think about a joint effort when they hear HST, only the Liberals shoving it down their throats.

I knew you couldn't stay away... :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DoctorWho said:
FFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!

I got summoned to Jury Duty. Can I blame Rob Ford for this too?
Jury Duty was so boring for me when I did it 10 years ago. I sat in a big room that had TVs playing re-runs of Mr Bean. I pretty much just read all day. I only went into a courtroom on one day (the Thursday) and I didn't even get asked any questions because they already picked the jury before they got to me. The best thing was they told us we weren't needed on the Friday because no new cases were scheduled.

added_time said:
That depends.... did he kill someone?

No. Someone killed someone though. It's a second degree murder trial. Hope I don't get selected. I have a feeling work will use up my vacation and sick days for this.

Top Bottom