• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

whitehawk

Banned
ZZMitch said:
What phone carrier do you all use?

I was thinking of going with Wind when i come to Toronto.
I had wind last year and I hated it. Great prices, but the service sucked. I had to go in my backyard sometimes to send a text. Although their service may have improved a lot since then.

I have Wind and live in Toronto. No complaints whatsoever. My data speed is good, my signal is great for the most part. All is well. Only getting better too as time goes on. But of course there are always some spots where coverage can be a bit off, to be expected with a new carrier.

Of course it helps that I have the holiday miracle plan which is unlimited everything (text/talk/data/tethering/etc...) for 40 bucks.

IceIpor

Well right now you can get some pretty good phones with the WindTab+, if you qualify...

Reception is okay. Data seems to be a bit iffy sometimes... Unless you get a Blackberry, since they connect to a different network. So that one is usually up. (noticed when my sister could still surf when I couldn't.)

But I'll say this, I've completely forgotten about minutes, text limits or data limits. It's there for my use whenever I want, as long as I pay my $40 a month. It's amazing to check my bills and see that I've used like over a gig of data each month and it didn't cost me anything extra.

IceIpor said:
Well right now you can get some pretty good phones with the WindTab+, if you qualify...

Reception is okay. Data seems to be a bit iffy sometimes... Unless you get a Blackberry, since they connect to a different network. So that one is usually up. (noticed when my sister could still surf when I couldn't.)

But I'll say this, I've completely forgotten about minutes, text limits or data limits. It's there for my use whenever I want, as long as I pay my $40 a month. It's amazing to check my bills and see that I've used like over a gig of data each month and it didn't cost me anything extra.
lol I know what you mean, and it feels fucking glorious.

Once my internet went down for 2 weeks, I used about 35 gigs.

Stet

Banned
Does anyone else have TekSavvy DSL? I have the 5mbps plan and I used to get 4.5 consistently, but for the past few months it's been 2.5 all the time. I'm at Church/Wellesley so there's no way that it's based on distance or anything. DSL reports support was no help, he gave me the "it's up to 5mbps" speech. Any ideas?

I use Mobilicity. Reception sucks in my house but that's true of any carrier for me (I've been with Fido and Koodo before). I signed up for one of their promotions and did their multi-month thing. I payed for the entire year in advance and it works out to $30-something per month... for unlimited everything. It feels so good not having to worry about going over a stupid 100MB cap, or paying extra for tethering, or even paying a bill at all.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Stet said:
Does anyone else have TekSavvy DSL? I have the 5mbps plan and I used to get 4.5 consistently, but for the past few months it's been 2.5 all the time. I'm at Church/Wellesley so there's no way that it's based on distance or anything. DSL reports support was no help, he gave me the "it's up to 5mbps" speech. Any ideas?

...I'm assuming you called Teksavvy first, right? :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stet said:
Login to your router and check your DSL profile. If it's not on a 5mbps profile, then you should ask the technician to move you back up. Otherwise, there might be line quality issues in your area that have forced them to move you down... one of the perils of a DSL network that uses shitty lines from god knows when.

firehawk12 said:
Login to your router and check your DSL profile. If it's not on a 5mbps profile, then you should ask the technician to move you back up. Otherwise, there might be line quality issues in your area that have forced them to move you down... one of the perils of a DSL network that uses shitty lines from god knows when.
yep that's what happened to me, I was PERFECT for a super long time, then all of a sudden I could NOT get the profile I used to so they lowered me permanently to keep it stable, switched to teksavvy cable as soon as I could and now I'm ballllllllllllllin.

Roto13

Stet said:
We're neighbours. :p

I'm with Wind

Never had any major problems with it, I've been with them since April 2010

My friends try and laugh at me when I'm on Wind Away but I remind them that my roaming is cheaper than their long distance, and my roaming is far far far cheaper in the US, and even if I wanted to use my phone while out of the Wind Zone my bill will still be 10-30 dollars cheaper than theirs

Quick

Banned
BigJonsson said:
I'm with Wind

Never had any major problems with it, I've been with them since April 2010

My friends try and laugh at me when I'm on Wind Away but I remind them that my roaming is cheaper than their long distance, and my roaming is far far far cheaper in the US, and even if I wanted to use my phone while out of the Wind Zone my bill will still be 10-30 dollars cheaper than theirs

Pwnt.

I'm with Rogers. Wish my bill was cheaper. :(

Stet

Banned
Roto13 said:
We're neighbours. :p
If you see me on the street say hi. You can recognize me because I'm the one looking leerily at all the abandoned mattresses and trying my best not to brush up against them.

Quick

Banned
Firestorm said:
Call Retentions.

My bill is probably cheaper than most people on Wind and I'm with Rogers.

I had to look this up on Google to understand. :p

So what happens? I call their direct line, threaten to cancel and see what happens, or are you talking about politely asking them for any sort of discount or deals? I'm hitting 2 out of 3 years on my plan in November and I'm thinking of jumping ship to Wind.

Firestorm

Quick said:
I had to look this up on Google to understand. :p

So what happens? I call their direct line, threaten to cancel and see what happens, or are you talking about politely asking them for any sort of discount or deals? I'm hitting 2 out of 3 years on my plan in November and I'm thinking of jumping ship to Wind.
This was a small beginners guide I wrote for my friends and then put on RFD: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-wireless-retention-plans-933329/#post11424926

The steps of what you're doing are still the same, but read the last few pages of the thread to see what it's like now. I hear Rogers is more stingy now so you won't get something crazy like I have these days.

RIP Jack Layton. :((

What horrible news to wake up to. Can't say I didn't expect it. He looked pretty grim when he announced the cancer was back a few weeks ago. Big loss for Canada. Only likeable politician I've ever seen in my life.

bombshack

Neo Member
honestly, he was the only one I've ever seen on television/print media/real life that didn't strike me as slimy.

Nothing more could be said aside from he was taken too soon from us and that whoever steps in for him have mighty big shoes to fill.

Blackhead

Redarse
Firestorm said:
Call Retentions.

My bill is probably cheaper than most people on Wind and I'm with Rogers.
If you decided to switch would it be to wind or mobility? I think what's holding many people back is th phone selection. Even though many of my friends use blackberries, Robbers till gets the best Blackberries first. If Apple provides a T-mobile compatible iPhone though, that would be a huge game changer.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We have a Nexus S with WIND. Reception is pretty reliable in the core, but can be sketchy on the west end for us if we're not high up. 3G has a couple of dark spots in the city (I always notice it goes out when passing through Parkdale on the 501), but not enough to make me complain.

Retention can almost always land you a decent deal, but I'd prefer not to directly support the Canadian telcom giants if I can help it. Especially if it's for a few dollars.

Extremely sad to hear about Jack Layton.

Here is a beautiful pic of Toronto to try to cheer up:

icrQ7rTrx.jpg

I wish I could remember where I downloaded this picture from.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Okay, I'm reaching out to the kind hearted ppl here. If anyone has an extra one of those HP touchpads that's got everyone all freaked out lately, and doesn't want it, or wants to sell it at cost, I would be greatly appreciative. My gf wants one, but all the stupid hoarders snatched up every last one in the city. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

Divvy

I really hate all the hoarders in the city. They ruin it for everyone everytime a great deal shows up. Especially when it comes to gaming and electronics.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You can give a big thanks to RedFlagDeals the lack of tablets. Hoarding sales, reselling and ruining it for the masses since 2000. <3

I want to hate people on RFD but they've done more good for me than bad throughout the years. One of the most useful forums out there for Canadians, and not just for finding deals.

EvilMario said:
You can give a big thanks to RedFlagDeals the lack of tablets. Hoarding sales, reselling and ruining it for the masses since 2000. <3

When I worked at Zellers, I knew exactly who came from RFD (with the photocopied receipts, etc.), so I gave them as hard a time as I could. I like the concept of RFD and I recognize the benefit of it (and I have benefited myself), but some of those guys are just parasitic.

Firestorm

Greyface said:
If you decided to switch would it be to wind or mobility? I think what's holding many people back is th phone selection. Even though many of my friends use blackberries, Robbers till gets the best Blackberries first. If Apple provides a T-mobile compatible iPhone though, that would be a huge game changer.
I'd probably have to check Vancouver coverage before deciding myself. Wind and Mobilicity would have both been useless to me the past 8 months in Waterloo. Personally I prefer Mobilicity's plans. Wind seems to be a follower when it comes to the two usually matching Mobilicity whereas Mobilicity has really good opening deals and beat Wind instead of matching due to competitive pressure.

Also Mobilicity's back to school special is permanent whereas Wind's is 1 year.

Divvy

Well I could never blame the entire RFD site for the small percentage of assholes that inhabit it.

cbox

typo said:
When I worked at Zellers, I knew exactly who came from RFD (with the photocopied receipts, etc.), so I gave them as hard a time as I could. I like the concept of RFD and I recognize the benefit of it (and I have benefited myself), but some of those guys are just parasitic.

They really are... I mean the way some of them stack coupons and pester people just ruins it for everyone. Still though, I've saved a bunch of money because of the site, but I've never gone too far.

Threi

notag
Yeah RFD is both a blessing and a curse. I kinda want the HP tablet now, which i would have never known about if it wasn't for RFD, but thanks to some of the assholes that lurk there there is no stock left for anyone.

Also: Insisting on pricematching for a discount of under $5 is incredibly tacky.

hsin

Banned
Alberta-GAF paging Toronto-GAF! Need some help or advice.

A friend of mine just moved to Toronto for a masters program at York and is having some trouble finding accommodations around that area. I've heard that it can be kind of tough finding rental properties within a student's price range, modest quality and a reasonable commute to campus.

He's currently staying with a relative but it's about a 45 min commute by public transport to campus. Prefers to live by himself but is open to the idea of a roommate as long as they're not nightmares to deal with.

I know he's tried searching through Kijiji and possibly similar sites. Are there any other alternatives he should try? Any areas that would be economical for a York student that is maybe about 15-20 mins away from campus? Anyone possibly looking for a tenant/roommate or know someone that is?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
hsin said:
Alberta-GAF paging Toronto-GAF! Need some help or advice.

A friend of mine just moved to Toronto for a masters program at York and is having some trouble finding accommodations around that area. I've heard that it can be kind of tough finding rental properties within a student's price range, modest quality and a reasonable commute to campus.

He's currently staying with a relative but it's about a 45 min commute by public transport to campus. Prefers to live by himself but is open to the idea of a roommate as long as they're not nightmares to deal with.

I know he's tried searching through Kijiji and possibly similar sites. Are there any other alternatives he should try? Any areas that would be economical for a York student that is maybe about 15-20 mins away from campus? Anyone possibly looking for a tenant/roommate or know someone that is?

Viewit.ca, craigslist.org, housingmaps.com, mls.ca, myhood.ca

Tell him to pick up the Renter's Guide books that they have around the city, next to the newspaper stands. It can give you links to property management websites and you can see their listings directly.

If he doesn't hate the idea, think basement apartments if he wants the cheapest possible housing option. I've not had the best experience with basement apartments, but for a student, it might not be a terrible option.

Tell him to walk around any neighborhoods he think he may want to live in. There are usually a bunch of for rent signs, or large wooden signs outside of apartment buildings. He can go to their website, or call right in front of the building and ask to see a unit.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live around York campus (I'd take the commute from downtown, thanks :p).

Quick

Banned
Silver Snail is having their Midnight Madness this Saturday from 9pm to 12am. I actually might check it out depending on how my Saturday at Fan Expo goes.

EvilMario said:
Personally, I wouldn't want to live around York campus (I'd take the commute from downtown, thanks :p).

Same here. It's shitty around there. He may want to consider living in a safer hood and taking the bus.

hsin

Banned
Firestorm said:
http://www.padmapper.com is the best general apartment hunting site. York may have something to help people find off-campus housing as well.

EvilMario said:
Viewit.ca, craigslist.org, housingmaps.com, mls.ca, myhood.ca

Tell him to pick up the Renter's Guide books that they have around the city, next to the newspaper stands. It can give you links to property management websites and you can see their listings directly.

If he doesn't hate the idea, think basement apartments if he wants the cheapest possible housing option. I've not had the best experience with basement apartments, but for a student, it might not be a terrible option.

Tell him to walk around any neighborhoods he think he may want to live in. There are usually a bunch of for rent signs, or large wooden signs outside of apartment buildings. He can go to their website, or call right in front of the building and ask to see a unit.

Padmapper and Housingmaps look pretty useful!

Yeah, I've also heard that basement living isn't the best option. He totally realizes that York campus is in the shadier parts of town but also figures that he came from the Canada's murder capital of 2011! :p

Anyway, thanks for this guys. I'll mention these to him and see if they help out.

Quick said:
Truth. The area sucks ass.

Yikes, that bad huh? I guess I'll let him know that too.

Threi said:
Yeah RFD is both a blessing and a curse. I kinda want the HP tablet now, which i would have never known about if it wasn't for RFD, but thanks to some of the assholes that lurk there there is no stock left for anyone.
Tell me about it. I patiently waited outside a Source on Saturday morning, getting there quite early, only to find they'd been cleared out the night before.

(From reading around, I should have gone to Staples instead... now I have little hope of getting one.)

Firestorm

I had an alarm at 7:30, opened my eyes, thought fuck this, and went back to bed. Good thing too as I was just gonna stroll down at opening. The order I put in on Friday went through anyway so I'm getting my TouchPad =) Got my shipping confirmation from Future Shop a few hours ago.

Top Bottom