• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Quick

Banned
DoctorWho said:
No. Someone killed someone though. It's a second degree murder trial. Hope I don't get selected. I have a feeling work will use up my vacation and sick days for this.

Is your work allowed to do that, though? Isn't there some kind of exception when it comes to jury duty?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Quick said:
Is your work allowed to do that, though? Isn't there some kind of exception when it comes to jury duty?

Legally, they're suppose to treat it as unpaid leave. They shouldn't be able to just dock holiday / sick days because they feel like it. Maybe you could request such though?

Employers must give employees time off to attend jury selection and to serve as jurors. Under the Employment Standards Act, a juror is considered to be on unpaid leave for the period of jury duty. Although the employers are not legally obligated to pay employees for lost wages while on jury duty, the employee is considered to be in continuous employment for the purposes of calculating annual vacation, termination entitlements, as well as for pension, medical or other employee benefit plans. The employee is also entitled to all increases in wages and benefits which he or she would have received if not on jury duty. Further, the employer may not terminate an employee on jury duty, or change a condition of employment, without the employee’s written consent. As soon as jury duty ends, an employee must be returned to his or her former position or comparable position.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EvilMario said:
Legally, they're suppose to treat it as unpaid leave. They shouldn't be able to just dock holiday / sick days because they feel like it. Maybe you could request such though?

My job at the time was cool and paid me for Jury Duty.

whitehawk said:
I'm in Woodsworth (The one no one knows about :(). I would have rather be in Victoria or University (I applied to university). Are you on res though?
Woodsworth 0T7 here.

Yeah, Frosh activities differ by college. Yeah, there are lots of events that you can crash just because you're a U of T frosh.

Hell, even non-frosh tend to crash events at Frosh week. Concerts and clubs day, or whatever they call it now, because that's where we all got our pens and binders for the year.

Azih said:
You can't really overrule the mayor of a city. Sucks but what can you do

Well, for one, the mayor's one vote on a council of 44. So even a cadre of other councillors can overrule him. Two, if he doesn't have popular support behind him, will also lose to the province every.single.time.

How do you think Toronto ended up having to provide all the services that it does in the first place? Hell, how did Toronto end up being the amalgamated city of Toronto?

As for Transit City, it was a pie-in-the-sky plan that failed to take into account what ripping up major routes would do to local businesses. I've ranted about this before, but St Clair is in the midst of a 10-year beating as a result of the streetcar right of way. Now, I use that streetcar regularly and I love it, but but the local mom and pop shops were all but obliterated.

So as much as those routes remain necessary and still good ideas, the plan itself was NOT as well thought-out as its most strident defenders (Mihevic et al) make it out to be.

McGuinty wasn't just throwing his tail between his legs and walking away from Transit City when Ford came to him with a change of plans. It wasn't his prerogative to manufacture a crisis among the highest-taxed businesses in the province. Running a deficit, he couldn't well turn Ford down at the prospect of not spending conspicuous billions on Toronto the Entitled - which is what we are to the rest of the province, let alone the country. The whole province needs infrastructure improvements...many places a whole hell of a lot more than Toronto.

Now, annexing the TTC and folding into Metrolinx? That could happen. And man, it would be nice if it meant that it gave Metrolinx additional teeth to implement some of the ideas their planning people have.

whitehawk

Banned
BladeWorker said:
Woodsworth 0T7 here.

Yeah, Frosh activities differ by college. Yeah, there are lots of events that you can crash just because you're a U of T frosh.

Hell, even non-frosh tend to crash events at Frosh week. Concerts and clubs day, or whatever they call it now, because that's where we all got our pens and binders for the year.
Haha maybe I'll see you at frosh then!

EvilMario said:

Unpaid leave will be crap too. We'll see what I can work out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
“We'll take a look at the request. I think I've got a slightly different take on the $650 million,” McGuinty said after the meeting in his Queen's Park office, which lasted more than 50 minutes. “The memorandum of understanding that we entered into provides that we could make up to $650 million available once we have determined what our costs are associated with the Eglinton line. And it's pretty hard to make that determination at this point in time.”

McGuinty letting Ford twist in the wind.

By the way, the Ripley's Aquarium had its ground breaking today.

I hope they don't go with the first rendering. Some Ripley Aquarium are very cheap looking, but a couple look okay. I wonder where ours will fall..

Q7tj8.jpg

W4oVc.jpg

y5Bdv.jpg

Azih

Looks good to me, like a wave. Still I'm not down with putting sea animals in tiny tanks or SeaWorld type amusement parks.

I should protest Ford with a "WHERE'S YOUR PRIVATE FUNDING NOW?" sign.

Kak.efes

BigJonsson said:
lol @ ford having to crawl to McGuinty to get money, what a buffoon

I think that's the plan. He'll be rebuked, giving him reason to publicly admonish McGuinty, while calling for Hudak to replace him.

Kak.efes said:
I think that's the plan. He'll be rebuked, giving him reason to publicly admonish McGuinty, while calling for Hudak to replace him.

Pretty much where I see things going.

McGuinty should give him some cash and call it a "bail out".

Stet

Banned
Azih said:
Looks good to me, like a wave. Still I'm not down with putting sea animals in tiny tanks or SeaWorld type amusement parks.
Aquariums can be done right, though, like Monteray Bay.

Azih

Kak.efes said:
I don't know. Hudak is a Con and playing nice with Toronto hurts Conservatives like crazy with their base even while promising stuff during campaigns. Look at what happened to John Tory (poor John Tory) and how Mel Lastman was pushed down and curb stomped by his buddies in Queen's Park.

Plus Rob Ford is looking like an idiot right now, I think he's finally abandoned the gravy train line but his insistence that he could find private financiers to build the city for him and his mantra of the city having a spending problem not a revenue problem is not good for him.

Also McGuinty would be completely right to point out that he's not withholding anything. The 650 million is there if it's leftover from funding the Eglinton LRT and the Scarborough RT overhaul.

Firest0rm

Rinoa said:
Singles = Dancing studios that are specifically for single people only (people who don't have a regular partner). I've never been to these but I noticed one at the north east corner of Dundas and Spadina.

1 on 1 lessons = expensive and for students who probably wanna compete

Group lessons = If you don't have a partner sometimes you can get matched up, or sometimes people switch partners/out. Not a dating scene but is a fun social thing.

To Dundas and Spadina it is!!

LEVIATHAN NEW AT WONDERLAND 2012

This roller coaster looks absolutely incredible! It makes the old coasters like Dragon Fire look like a kid's ride!

STATS:

The first Bolliger and Mabillard Giga (300 feet +) in the world!
The tallest and fastest coaster in Canada.
The fifth tallest coaster in the world.
306 feet
80 degree first drop
3 min. 28 second ride time
92 mph (148 km/h)
5,486' (1,672m) long
$28 million (U.S.)

added_time said:
LEVIATHAN NEW AT WONDERLAND 2012

This roller coaster looks absolutely incredible! It makes the old coasters like Dragon Fire look like a kid's ride!

STATS:

The first Bolliger and Mabillard Giga (300 feet +) in the world!
The tallest and fastest coaster in Canada.
The fifth tallest coaster in the world.
306 feet
80 degree first drop
3 min. 28 second ride time
92 mph (148 km/h)
5,486' (1,672m) long
$28 million (U.S.)
I hate to use the cliché, but: My body is ready.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Looks like TTC fare hike is coming, as predicted. $0.10 increase for cash fares, will probably mean $130 metro passes. ;_;

Stet

Banned
I don't know, if the choice is between a 10 cent fare hike and a cut in TTC services because Rob Ford refuses to provide extra funding, I'd swallow the $0.10. Only problem is it means I have to carry around dimes.

Appleman

EvilMario said:
Looks like TTC fare hike is coming, as predicted. $0.10 increase for cash fares, will probably mean $130 metro passes. ;_;

Damn, just when they hit some nice round numbers... ($3/$2)

Vhalyar

Any suggestions for a good gym around Spadina & Queen? Browsing on Google Maps, all I can find is women's gyms and gyms that will apparently fuck me with overcharges.

Stet said:
I don't know, if the choice is between a 10 cent fare hike and a cut in TTC services because Rob Ford refuses to provide extra funding, I'd swallow the $0.10. Only problem is it means I have to carry around dimes.
Unless they can get that new modern payment system in place.

Nope.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
BKXB said:
Saw this on my 360 dashboard:

http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/Community/Promotions/xbox360central/toronto

AUGUST 19 -21 IS YOUR CHANCE TO TRY THE HOTTEST GAMES BEFORE THEY'RE AVAILABLE IN STORE.

Forza 4
Star Wars Kinect
Dance Central 2
The Gunstringer
Kinect Sports 2

328 Queen St. W

Going to head there this afternoon. My guess is the Forza 4 demo will be Kinect only judging by the other titles. Still interested in all of those though.

jcutner

StudioTan said:
Going to head there this afternoon. My guess is the Forza 4 demo will be Kinect only judging by the other titles. Still interested in all of those though.

kind of worried about that too
can anyone who goes confirm if there is a controller option as well?
otherwise i probably won't bother

Rinoa

Vhalyar said:
Any suggestions for a good gym around Spadina & Queen? Browsing on Google Maps, all I can find is women's gyms and gyms that will apparently fuck me with overcharges.

If you want a more manly gym I suggest the Extreme fitness beside the paramount/scotiabank theatres.
http://www.extremefitness.ca/find_a_club

There is also a new gym coming soon at spadina/queen but underconstruction for now (Real Bodi).

Spl1nter

SuperSonic1305 said:
I'll only move my backback from a seat if there are no other seats available.

i aint moving shit. they want me to move my backpack they can fight me; in fact, who gets to sit down should be decided through a set of contests of logic and strength.

For some reasons those poster give off a real douchy feeling, probably because none of them are very smart or funny, just obvious shit.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
But I love my bass booming beats from my headphones. I only turn it up so loud to try to drown out the screeching and noise from the tracks and TTC cars themself. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stet said:

There are other solutions. Automation for various parts of the system is one of them. Ford pushing the point on more funding from Ottawa, instead of lobbying for his subway extension money might not be a terrible thing. TTC's economic woes are both their own doing (wages, management, lack of streamlining work, the union), and the lack of funding they receive for a system this size.

But it's not the cash fare that's terrible when compared to other North American transit systems (although it's high endish), it's the Metropass. TTC has for years been crying about the metropass costing them tons of money, because if people were paying token fares they would double the revenue. And thus, the Metropass has seen gigantic increases compared to cash/token fare. $121 right now, $10 discount if you have a yearly plan. If history holds true, we'll be paying at least $130 for a Metropass next fare hike. Just imagine what it'll be like in 2020. :/

So now people that can't afford a car (although lots of people take transit by choice) will be hit the hardest, while City Hall continues to fight the 'War on Cars' by eliminate the VRT and bicycle lanes as they see fit. And The Star ran an article where they lobbied for TTC fare increases on an annual (or at least consistent) basis.

The future of the system is very scary, in terms of affordability and what cut backs will come in the next few years. If the fare increases come too quickly, there could be a drop in ridership like the city saw almost two decades ago. If that's the case, they'll cut service because they'll be losing revenue again.

added_time said:
Are tokens staying the same?

Well, token increases would come with the cash fare increase. It's nearly guaranteed that the token bundles (buying 5-10 at a time) would increase as well, as it has in the past.

SuperSonic1305 said:
I'll only move my backback from a seat if there are no other seats available.

I still hate it. Unless you're carrying 5 grocery bags on an empty bus, it just seems lazy and rude not to have your bag on your lap, or the floor.

Rinoa

I don't get why the TTC can't upgrade to what other cities do (oyster card, automation, etc) because the metropass is so badly thought out right now.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110819/110819_ttc_delays/20110819/?hub=CP24Home
me witnessed this derailing this morning

And yeah, too many disgusting people on TTC. Thus far every person I've seen who cut their nails has been asian, stop making the rest of us look bad!

As for the bag, I've yet to see someone who even dared to refuse to move it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Rinoa said:
I don't get why the TTC can't upgrade to what other cities do (oyster card, automation, etc) because the metropass is so badly thought out right now.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110819/110819_ttc_delays/20110819/?hub=CP24Home
me witnessed this derailing this morning

It would be fantastic, and I have no idea why they wouldn't pursue it - my only guess is that they are working on so many other projects, it seems like an unnecessary expense. And I think maybe the TTC union doesn't like the idea of automation.

Top Bottom