• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It'll happen this time, with the lockout happening I need something to pass the time. I figure death's sweet embrace will do me well.
If he doesn't then I will just so we don't have to hear about it again. One way or another someone is getting their ass kicked at the next meetup.

zroid

Banned
Anyone been to Salad King recently? I haven't gone since I went to Ryerson years ago and it was before the fire. I have a TIFF screening at AMC dundas tomorrow. I wanted to know if their quality is still decent.

Still love it, even though the prices have gone up (I think their policy is 25 cents/year increase).

The new location across Yonge from the old one is awesome too.

Quick

Banned
Toronto-GAF fight club meetup? Certain death guaranteed?

i78dHFT2er5cL.gif

I've decided that if the next meetup is anywhere near the Annex then I will just show up with my wife. I tried to resist but I will go if Roto13 is there

Stet

Banned
If I was sending a professional email on my phone while walking next to Dustin Hoffman, does that mean I can say it was an honour working alongside him?

thabiz

If I was sending a professional email on my phone while walking next to Dustin Hoffman, does that mean I can say it was an honour working alongside him?

Is he really that short? Him and Tom Cruise always get their height's mentioned.

Flash

i really hope he gets thrown out of office but I feel like it would only add fuel to his next mayoral campaign... I can already imagine that all of his fuck ups will be drowned out by "the liberal hippies couldn't handle my respect for the tax payers so they threw me out!" b/s.

I don't know if Toronto will be able to survive an another 4 year term :(

Yeah, let's do a meetup soon.

Before I skip town forever*

(*There may be a distinct possibility that my coming job searches will eventually lead me out of town)

cbox

I agree that it has declined, but I want to read other people's explanations

I'm 29

I was a huge listener back in the day when I frequented alternative music, but it steadily went downhill year after year. Dean blundell is an absolute prick, and thee rest of the meathead cast is equally as terrible. I can't stand that station for more than 2 minutes.

I'm 26 and listened to the show back from the mid 90's to early 2004 ish?

And don't get me started on virgin radio............................

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's a shell of it's former self. You can tell the station went 180 before and after Alan Cross got axed too.
Funnily enough, he was part of one of the groups that failed to get 88.1FM.

First, full disclosure: I was part of one of the other 21 groups applying for a license on 88.1 Mhz in Toronto. I just want to get that out of the way.

Power? That's a handicap. The new station will operated with a transmitter running at 532 watts (no, that's not a typo) with a maximum radiated power of 875 watts (again, not a typo). For example, CHFI runs at 44,000, CHUM-FM at 40,000 and the Edge at 35,000. The station is going to be hard to get outside the borders of Toronto proper.

My take? An interesting decision by the CRTC--and that's coming from someone who was at the hearings back in May. The Commission looks good by offering a newcomer a space on the Toronto dial. The Toronto indie scene has been getting bigger and bigger over the last decade and certainly deserves additional exposure. A radio station home for this music is good for the community. I wish them all the luck in the world.

Is there a "but?" Not really--but the radio drama in the city isn't over yet. BCE is going to have to sell Boom 97-3 and The Flow when the Astral purchase goes through. And don't be fooled by those "Say No to Bell" ads. The sale will go through but with a whack of additional conditions. Which companies have pockets deep enough to buy one or both of these established, profitable radio stations? Place your bets.
http://www.alancross.ca/a-journal-o...-indie-rock-fm-station-coming-to-toronto.html

Wow that's under-powered. :(

thabiz

Plus the way they handled Martin Streek's death was shameful.

I agree that it has declined, but I want to read other people's explanations

I'm 29

CFNY was one of the most cutting edge radio stations in the world during its heyday. It helped launch countless bands that have gone on to international stardom. Chris Sheppard helped usher in the start of the rave culture in NA. Dr. No, and arguably the birth of Drum and Bass. The New Wave scene and the ties to the UK underground. Martin Streek and Dave Bookman are gods in the music community. Alan Cross and George the Greek too. There is just so much that can be listed that the station did in the 80's and early 90's.

102.1 plays the most popular of the popular. Its a shell of its former self and what it stood for. It's now just another radio station.

The day they played Metallica (Black Album) was the day they went down the wrong path.

Plus the way they handled Martin Streek's death was shameful.

CFNY was one of the most cutting edge radio stations in the world during its heyday. It helped launch countless bands that have gone on to international stardom. Chris Sheppard helped usher in the start of the rave culture in NA. Dr. No, and arguably the birth of Drum and Bass. The New Wave scene and the ties to the UK underground. Martin Streek and Dave Bookman are gods in the music community. Alan Cross and George the Greek too. There is just so much that can be listed that the station did in the 80's and early 90's.

102.1 plays the most popular of the popular. Its a shell of its former self and what it stood for. It's now just another radio station.

The day they played Metallica (Black Album) was the day they went down the wrong path.

Pretty much this.

102 used to break new and interesting stuff. Now I've heard them described as "An oldies station for Generation X", mixed with whatever alternative/indie/buttrock is currently charting. It's basically dry corporate radio, with playlists that are mathematically calculated to be "safe" and hosts that are supposed to be "edgy".

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I pretty much stopped listening once Jason was let go.

I pretty much only listen to TSN1050 with the occassional Fan590.

Haters be damned, I enjoy the personalities on 1050. Mike Richards in the morning always manages to give me a good laugh.

Top Bottom