• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I bought my car new 5 years ago this month (final car payment, fuck yeah), and I've been able to use the tires it came with for winter driving, but now I gotta grab actual winter tires. Where would you say is the best place to buy tires (and rims)? Also, how much am I looking at in terms of price? I know it's gonna be steep.
I got the tires for cheap with my dad's Costco membership and the rims through my uncle who works at a Honda dealership. The only reason I got the rims through the dealership was because both of my mechanic cousins told me that after-market rims didn't sit perfectly on Civics and tires would get uneven wear if I used them. Otherwise the rims would have been about half the cost. With my uncle's discount I think they were $40-50 per rim ($160-200 in total) and the tires were something like $500. So all in it was about $700 IIRC and since my job at the time gave me the paperwork to claim car expenses on my tax return I ended up getting some of that back. There were two reasons I got rims for my snow tires; 1. taking tires on and off rims twice a year isn't good for them and will cause leaks, 2. Costco only charges something like $6 a tire when changing them over in the Spring/Winter if they're on separate rims. I usually just have my dad take my car for me since I don't have a Costco membership.

Rinoa

Congratulations.

But you're wrong on the weather. Bring the deep freeze. :p

Thanks, got pics so fast, less than one week the photographers gave us the jpegs. We incorporated a little bit of videogame related stuff, there's gunblade and feathers everywhere, and the distant worlds victory theme was used for cutting cake.

I've never had a problem driving in the winter. It's amazing the difference in driving with good snow tires. All-season tires March/April - November/December and snow tires the rest of the time.

My problem with winter+cars is that they get gross and dirty outside and inside. Like others said, we didn't have much of any snow last year so all seasons all year pretty much.

Kunohara

I got the tires for cheap with my dad's Costco membership and the rims through my uncle who works at a Honda dealership. The only reason I got the rims through the dealership was because both of my mechanic cousins told me that after-market rims didn't sit perfectly on Civics and tires would get uneven wear if I used them. Otherwise the rims would have been about half the cost. With my uncle's discount I think they were $40-50 per rim ($160-200 in total) and the tires were something like $500. So all in it was about $700 IIRC and since my job at the time gave me the paperwork to claim car expenses on my tax return I ended up getting some of that back. There were two reasons I got rims for my snow tires; 1. taking tires on and off rims twice a year isn't good for them and will cause leaks, 2. Costco only charges something like $6 a tire when changing them over in the Spring/Winter if they're on separate rims. I usually just have my dad take my car for me since I don't have a Costco membership.

I don't have a Costco membership, and don't feel like getting one just for this. The other thing I'm thinking about is where to keep the rims and tires when it's not winter. I live in a basement apt, and I have no room to put them in.

Just take public transit, it's flawless.

I work beside Pearson. I've had to take the bus to work once because my car was in the shop, and it took me 2 hours each way. Not doing that shit again. I would love to take transit to work, believe me. It would save me alot of money, but it's not worth the extra 4 hours a day for commuting.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
People who say they want winter do not drive. Driving on ice and snow fucking sucks.

I don't enjoy driving in the city any time of year. But yes, not having to drive in the winter.. or shovel sidewalks.. is a great benefit to my enjoyment of the season.

Thanks, got pics so fast, less than one week the photographers gave us the jpegs. We incorporated a little bit of videogame related stuff, there's gunblade and feathers everywhere, and the distant worlds victory theme was used for cutting cake.

Looks like an awesome wedding. Our wedding was just a casual affair at City Hall, but our reception was all geeked out with video games hooked up all over the place, game music, game styled desserts. We're so bad. ;_;

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone know where to get Earthbound for SNES? Is it very rare?

Yes, and it's going to be very expensive unless you find it at a pawn shop / Value Village. A&C Games usually has copies, Gamerama is worth a call, and Game Centre could.. but it's unlikely.

Keep an eye on Kijiji (only a couple listed right now, one going for $175) and Craigslist (nothing). Buying online will probably be cheaper than at A&C Games, but still not cheap. Unless you find someone very unknowing, it'll probably be $150 and up.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yes, and it's going to be very expensive unless you find it at a pawn shop / Value Village. A&C Games usually has copies, Gamerama is worth a call, and Game Centre could.. but it's unlikely.

Keep an eye on Kijiji (only a couple listed right now, one going for $175) and Craigslist (nothing). Buying online will probably be cheaper than at A&C Games, but still not cheap. Unless you find someone very unknowing, it'll probably be $150 and up.

What for real?

I still got my cartridge and the gamer's guide both in solid condition.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What for real?

If that guide is in good condition, it's worth even more than the game.

Earthbound didn't have a huge print, and it's almost certain, because of copyright issues with the music, to never receive a digital release outside of Japan.

Congratulations! I hope you have lots of happiness in the future!
Getting married to my awesome wife was the best thing I've done in my life!

What for real?

I've got the game and the guide, too. I had the box, but it was big so I tossed it in a move several years back. I deeply regret that, because the game with the box is worth $600.

So I got three streetpasses for 3DS at the Toronto FC game tonight. One of them had the status "DUDEBRO2.COM". Isn't that a neogaf fake game?
Is that any of you guys in this thread that did that streetpass?

whitehawk

Banned
So I got three streetpasses for 3DS at the Toronto FC game tonight. One of them had the status "DUDEBRO2.COM". Isn't that a neogaf fake game?
Is that any of you guys in this thread that did that streetpass?
1. That was probably me. I wasn't at the FC game, but I probably passed you on the subway.
2. It's not a fake game.

Am I wearing a white t-shirt + samurai wig?

Winter must be coming because TTC fare hikes are making the news. 10 cent fare increases for 2013, 2014, 2015. lol

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/article/1255775--ttc-fare-hike-likely-in-the-new-year
Transit officials have been considering how they can save money by contracting out some non-core work. They have already outsourced garbage collection and are now targeting overnight cleaning and fuelling of buses in two of the TTC’s seven divisions.

The 150 TTC workers who currently do those jobs, for about $27 an hour, would be absorbed into other areas.
Wait, janitors for the TTC get paid $27/hour? Damn, I was expecting maybe $15 an hour.

Boogie

Carmaggeddin in the GTA today. Collision has eastbound 401 closed at Winston churchill. FML, I was supposed to be downtown at 9 today. Now I'll be lucky to get there by 11.

Willectro

Banned
Winter must be coming because TTC fare hikes are making the news. 10 cent fare increases for 2013, 2014, 2015. lol

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/article/1255775--ttc-fare-hike-likely-in-the-new-year

Am I the only one that is more upset by the awkward amount of change required, than the actual cost increase? $3.10 is just annoying.

Instead of raising fares, how about freezing wag....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

But the TTC employees do such a good job. Everything is nice and clean and runs on schedule. And they're underpaid too. They deserve a raise, at least annually.

1. That was probably me. I wasn't at the FC game, but I probably passed you on the subway.
2. It's not a fake game.

Am I wearing a white t-shirt + samurai wig?

I was already corrected on Dudebro game. I just don't visit most parts of GAF besides this thread and a couple pinball threads. I see that it's a real game now.

Yep, you are wearing the samurai wig! My character is just really plain looking with no hat or anything. (it also probably said my last played game was pinball since that is all I play)
I took the Ossington bus home from the game and then subway to Bathurst so I guess I got the streetpass somewhere along there. Lovin' the 3DS.

Toronto photo of the day:

el4iR.jpg

source

Flash

people who comment on the star articles are just trolls right? jesus christ... any article about ford is filled with comments "why do you keep picking on him so much!" "you're banned from interviewing him so stop reporting on him!" ... what the fuck people.

Fuzzy

people who comment on the star articles are just trolls right? jesus christ... any article about ford is filled with comments "why do you keep picking on him so much!" "you're banned from interviewing him so stop reporting on him!" ... what the fuck people.
The real reason Ford coaches Football is so he can have all the kids comment on articles about him.

Boogie

Still not as bad as globe and mail commenters.

The Star is a absolute embarrassment. I'm fine with both them and their "readers" demonstrating ineptitude as often as they want.

Stet

Banned
The Star is specifically written at an 8th grade level. When my mom was teaching pseudo-special ed, she brought The Star in every day because it was the only newspaper they could read all of.

It's a bit of a tough sell, though, because it's also the most Liberal paper in the city -- so you get a lot of uneducated people reading it and hating it when they don't know shit about anything.

Anth0ny

So... anywhere taking Wii U preorders yet? I got away with getting a Wii without a pre-order on launch day by camping out at Best Buy for 10 hours, but I think times have changed.

Fuzzy

So... anywhere taking Wii U preorders yet? I got away with getting a Wii without a pre-order on launch day by camping out at Best Buy for 10 hours, but I think times have changed.
AFAIK only BestBuy.ca so far. I posted the links in the Canadian Gaming Deals thread.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

You can imagine most places taking preorders by next week. There probably won't be Wii level of demands for it, but better safe than sorry.

I'm still doing the midnight launch at Futureshop (Yonge and Dundas). They've improved their midnight launches a lot (like letting people line up inside instead of freezing to death). We should make a list of people who are going so we can meetup. I'll be there with my wife and a couple of friends. Should be awesome.

Anth0ny

You can imagine most places taking preorders by next week. There probably won't be Wii level of demands for it, but better safe than sorry.

I'm still doing the midnight launch at Futureshop (Yonge and Dundas). They've improved their midnight launches a lot (like letting people line up inside instead of freezing to death). We should make a list of people who are going so we can meetup. I'll be there with my wife and a couple of friends. Should be awesome.

Future Shop at Yonge and Dundas is doing midnight? I'm totally down. That's a lot better than 8am, which was the case at Best Buy (Weston and Highway 7) all those years ago. It was freezing that night. I packed 2 pairs of pants, three pairs of socks, two pairs of gloves, two hats, blankets, and of course, my DS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't have 8 games worth more than the $8 :(

Futureshop does a much.. different.. listing style. During the last couple of months, you could buy $10 games like Championship Jockey and Tin Tin from Staples and flip them at Futureshop for a new $60 game, or something like a 3DS XL. If the list stays decent enough and they do a Wii U deal, it'll be nice.

Otherwise.. start saving those Shoppers points. Or buy the Wii U there on a 20x point day to make the most of it.

Future Shop at Yonge and Dundas is doing midnight? I'm totally down. That's a lot better than 8am, which was the case at Best Buy (Weston and Highway 7) all those years ago. It was freezing that night. I packed 2 pairs of pants, three pairs of socks, two pairs of gloves, two hats, blankets, and of course, my DS.

It's not confirmed yet, but Nintendo uses the Futureshop as their 'flagship' Toronto store. I was there for 3DS and Skyward Sword, and I'm certain they'll announce a Wii U event in the coming months.

I just assumed it's the same 40 people spamming every newspaper comment section in between their writing sessions for their "why Hitler was a great man" novel that they are working on

Ya, a small group of ideological people on a mission to present the illusion that they are legion. Plus, there's Conservative action groups organized and paid to do the same. (This is why a wave of pro or anti comments all seem to arrive at once.)

It's a psychological tactic. If you can make your message appear to be shared by many, people are more willing to agree with it.

The Star is specifically written at an 8th grade level. When my mom was teaching pseudo-special ed, she brought The Star in every day because it was the only newspaper they could read all of.

It's a bit of a tough sell, though, because it's also the most Liberal paper in the city -- so you get a lot of uneducated people reading it and hating it when they don't know shit about anything.

The Sun is essentially written at a Grade 5 level. This has been known for decades. That's why it's the #1 newspaper of the "blue collar" workforce. (This isn't some elitist dismissal of that demographic, just an acknowledgement of facts.) That's also why "Joe Sixpack" is most likely a Ford voter.

Top Bottom