• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Does anyone here live in the Annex or surrounding area that has good suggestion for food delivery?
I don't mean like pizza pizza but something actually good.
My most reliable choice in Banjara for delivery but I'm starting to think I eat it too often!
Thankssss

I bet we can all look forward to a $150 Metropass in the next five years as well, given how much the TTC complains about losing money because of it.

Every time we (Toronto GAF) discuss the TTC we end up in the same place. We've been here before, I recognize this tree.

I hate having to use it. But, my experience driving today? I'd choose a smelly rocket over sitting, stopped, on the 401 for hours on end.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Every time we (Toronto GAF) discuss the TTC we end up in the same place. We've been here before, I recognize this tree.

I hate having to use it. But, my experience driving today? I'd choose a smelly rocket over sitting, stopped, on the 401 for hours on end.

We're just saying it could be much better if it weren't for a totally selfish union and management that is useless.

To be wholly accurate, we're saying it for the 30th time, give or take. That's my point: without any new ideas, we just keep going around and around and around.

FairyD

Hey gaf, do you guys know a good place to get a pair of glasses? Usually I would go to hakim or lens crafters, but I thought I would ask.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
To be wholly accurate, we're saying it for the 30th time, give or take. That's my point: without any new ideas, we just keep going around and around and around.

I think it's healthy just to kick the shit out of the TTC verbally once in a while. Discussing anything other than fare hikes (like more accessible stations, automation, better service) and fuck ups is usually pointless because they will never happen. But discussing those fairy tale dreams might be better than just accepting it as the norm and never saying anything.

But to your point, there's probably not much else to add to the discussion. Or we could be like Urban Toronto and sit around drawing up insane expansions that will never happen.

Mr. F

Banned
Futureshop does a much.. different.. listing style. During the last couple of months, you could buy $10 games like Championship Jockey and Tin Tin from Staples and flip them at Futureshop for a new $60 game, or something like a 3DS XL. If the list stays decent enough and they do a Wii U deal, it'll be nice.

This is diabolically brilliant. Am I being super naive to think there might be some sort of Wii U deal for Black Friday?

Mr. F

Banned
There is no Black Friday in Canada!

Some online retailers have been offering Black Friday deals on their Canadian sites in recent years, thought maybe Futureshop would join in. :p

Boxing Day is hell on earth...but seeing stampede videos of Black Friday makes it seem just as bad (if not worse).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FIVE DOLLARS WELL SAVED!
So how many chocolate bars did you buy at Shoppers this week! lol

Some online retailers have been offering Black Friday deals on their Canadian sites in recent years, thought maybe Futureshop would join in. :p

Boxing Day is hell on earth...but seeing stampede videos of Black Friday makes it seem just as bad (if not worse).
I know some stores use it because it's free marketing, but I don't remember any tremendous (electronics) deals last year anyway.

Dunno where to ask this: Has anyone ordered anything from Walmart.ca? How was the experience? Im thinking of ordering a largish piece of furniture from them, and having it shipped. I dont have a car so I need to go through the site to get it shipped.

Quick

Banned
I could call later in the morning, but I figured I'd ask: does Mr. Lube do repairs? I'm having an issue with my air conditioning (air comes out of the windshield vents, not anywhere else) and I was hoping to get it fixed quickly, and I know I can easily drop by without an appointment.

So how many chocolate bars did you buy at Shoppers this week! lol

Returned them, spent the points before they took it off!!!!! I'm such a master RFDer!!!!!

I could call later in the morning, but I figured I'd ask: does Mr. Lube do repairs? I'm having an issue with my air conditioning (air comes out of the windshield vents, not anywhere else) and I was hoping to get it fixed quickly, and I know I can easily drop by without an appointment.

Returned them, spent the points before they took it off!!!!! I'm such a master RFDer!!!!!

I don't think Mr Lube does anything but lube jobs (ha ha)
I was going to suggest Midas but I'm not sure if they do AC

Quick

Banned
I guess I'll just contact the local guy nearby to get it checked out. The cost worries me, and I need the car operational ASAP.

What's the ballpark cost on AC repair?

Mr. F

Banned
I know some stores use it because it's free marketing, but I don't remember any tremendous (electronics) deals last year anyway.

True. The parity in that regard seems many years away, the only deals I've ever taken advantage of with these sales were just for DVD box sets.

Mr. F

Banned
Sad news, ttc worker struck and killed by a subway car this morning :|

Was just reading about that, very sad. Apparently there was a second worker who was hit by the train as well, in hospital with serious but non life-threatening injuries. Hope he/she pulls through alright.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is diabolically brilliant. Am I being super naive to think there might be some sort of Wii U deal for Black Friday?

The only sales in Canada we'll likely the trade-in sales from Futureshop / Best Buy, or Gamestop. We probably won't know until that week. Shoppers will probably have a 20x / super redemption day between Wii U launch and end of the year though, so that's another way to grab one cheaply.

Sad news, ttc worker struck and killed by a subway car this morning :|

Sad news. Seems like these overnight accidents happens every couple of years.

Willectro

Banned
I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but The Burger's Priest is amazing. I went last night and had the "High Priest" burger (It's essentially a Big Mac, but done right) and it was, without a doubt, the best burger I've ever had. It was a little pricey, but well worth it.

Mr. F

Banned
The only sales in Canada we'll likely the trade-in sales from Futureshop / Best Buy, or Gamestop. We probably won't know until that week. Shoppers will probably have a 20x / super redemption day between Wii U launch and end of the year though, so that's another way to grab one cheaply.

I'll have to look into Futureshop/Best Boy's trade-in policies. If they're anything like EB/Gamestop's it's probably not worth trying. Wasn't familiar with Shoppers redemption day, interesting.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but The Burger's Priest is amazing. I went last night and had the "High Priest" burger (It's essentially a Big Mac, but done right) and it was, without a doubt, the best burger I've ever had. It was a little pricey, but well worth it.

Haven't yet had the chance to try Burger's Priest, heard both good and bad things (well not especially bad, just overrated). Looking forward to giving it a shot. Big Smoke is my current favourite, I think.

Toronto photo of the day (few years back during Luminato I guess?)

Rajca.jpg

source

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'll have to look into Futureshop/Best Boy's trade-in policies. If they're anything like EB/Gamestop's it's probably not worth trying. Wasn't familiar with Shoppers redemption day, interesting.

Futureshop goes by a list that's updated weekly for their sales, rather than strictly value like Gamestop. You can see the trade-in list for NHL 13 here. Their list usually includes 4-5 games that you can find at places like Staples, or used game shops for cheap.

Optimum card is free at Shoppers, so you might as well collect points. There's a special promo going on right for Kraft products, where you can buy 4 and get 8,000 points. Chocolate bars are the cheapest if you just want points, but you could stock up on gum / crackers as well. 95,000 points for $170 off (better one the redemption days, like they had last weekend where 95k was worth $210), could take a chunk off the Wii U price.

Phew. That was a mouthful. Keep an eye on the Canadian Deals Thread, CAG and RFD for sales.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Futureshop goes by a list that's updated weekly for their sales, rather than strictly value like Gamestop. You can see the trade-in list for NHL 13 here. Their list usually includes 4-5 games that you can find at places like Staples, or used game shops for cheap.

Optimum card is free at Shoppers, so you might as well collect points. There's a special promo going on right for Kraft products, where you can buy 4 and get 8,000 points. Chocolate bars are the cheapest if you just want points, but you could stock up on gum / crackers as well. 95,000 points for $170 off (better one the redemption days, like they had last weekend where 95k was worth $210), could take a chunk off the Wii U price.

Phew. That was a mouthful. Keep an eye on the Canadian Deals Thread, CAG and RFD for sales.
Just be aware they may send you a Glamour mag...with your name on the mail label....
:(

EM = creating new RFDerw e'ryday.

E-DuB

So like everyone else, I'm caught up in the fervour that is the new IPhone. Does anyone have any experience with Fido's online reservation service? I'm due for an upgrade and it's allowing me to order a 16gb model. So when it comes in to the store I would re-up my contract then? Or will someone phone me ahead of time to do it? Feedback always appreciated guys and gals.

Mr. F

Banned

Oh wow, awesome. Thanks for all the info!

Willectro

Banned
Haven't yet had the chance to try Burger's Priest, heard both good and bad things (well not especially bad, just overrated). Looking forward to giving it a shot. Big Smoke is my current favourite, I think.

Personally, I enjoy Big Smoke (and Dangerous Dan's) quite a bit, but now prefer Burger's Priest.

A gypsy tried to get a free coffee out of me at Bathurst Station today. I've seen quite a few gypsies this year. I wonder where they are coming from.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's a great place to go to.

People and their over rated nonsense. Better than BQM.

Don't believe EM's lies!

Rinoa

Looks like an awesome wedding. Our wedding was just a casual affair at City Hall, but our reception was all geeked out with video games hooked up all over the place, game music, game styled desserts. We're so bad. ;_;

I had a friend do the mostly geeked out wedding, it was so cool! But in retrospect I couldn't do the same, when people are further separated into more groups (gamers&nongamers in addition to dancers&loungers) and not mixing it up socializing, it really brought the energy at a wedding down. The saving grace was that the venue was small so it didn't feel completely empty when we were all separated.

Congratulations! I hope you have lots of happiness in the future!
Getting married to my awesome wife was the best thing I've done in my life!

Thanks! I am sure he feels the same, he never believed in marriage (or people in general) so everyone's shocked he got married. Meanwhile, everyone I know was shocked when I said I was going to marry him, as I used to think him full of himself years ago lol. Utter disbelief on both sides and it was mentioned in the speeches by his side of the family.

There is no Black Friday in Canada!

Tell that to Canadian companies (like mine) that sell stuff.. we now follow USA and 'celebrate' it.

We have gypsies?

Oh my god that's awesome.

According to my dad, during the 70s and 80s there used to be a lady begging at VIA/union station each day change for a coffee.

Once a month she'd be dressed in expensive clothes/jewellry/makeup, matching suitcases and she'd go on a train ride to meet a relative.

Then the next day she'd be back to begging in crappy clothes.

When she died it turned out she had hundreds of thousands in bonds/cash and expensive looking stuff in a dinky apartment. Theory is that she was mentally disturbed.

/coolstorybro

MPW

man max payne 3 is f'n awesome! (on sale for $19 at wm)

the narrative and characters are great, top notch work from rockstar once again

Top Bottom