• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

thabiz

L'Shana Tova, everybody!

2ahsi1s.gif

EDIT: shit.

EDIT 2: Alright, this way.

http://bit.ly/ReC2cM

HAHAHAHA. he looks trashed. Funny shit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, since I asked everywhere else, I figure I'd ask here as well.

Between a $65 1gb plan and a $75 6gb plan (from Bell), which one do you guys think I should get?

AlphaTwo really gets around
LOLWUT. I have no idea. I swear I had a guy that I ran into 6 times now and I don't even know who they are. Either they're at snakes and lattes, 401games, or the numerous IGDA Toronto based things. Either way...awkward?

Although I thought the audience was waaaaayy too obnoxious. It's pretty rude to hoot WHILE the orchestra was playing.
It's hard to say. On one hand, it's an orchestra, then on the other hand, it's a video game orchestra. As far as I remember, it's hovering around the same as the FF concerts as far as the cheering goes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LOLWUT. I have no idea. I swear I had a guy that I ran into 6 times now and I don't even know who they are. Either they're at snakes and lattes, 401games, or the numerous IGDA Toronto based things. Either way...awkward?

It's hard to say. On one hand, it's an orchestra, then on the other hand, it's a video game orchestra. As far as I remember, it's hovering around the same as the FF concerts as far as the cheering goes.
Video Games Live encourages cheering, so maybe that's the standard people have no for these things. That said, it'd be boring if it was yet another pop-orchestra with polite clapping at various predetermined applause break segments.

zroid

Banned
I honestly think the musicians appreciate the change of pace and just raw enthusiasm from the crowd. It can certainly be irritating to hear people shout junk in the middle of the performance, but if you're worried about them being offended, don't! :)

You know, since I asked everywhere else, I figure I'd ask here as well.

Between a $65 1gb plan and a $75 6gb plan (from Bell), which one do you guys think I should get?

I think you should switch to another provider who can give you unlimited talk, text, and data with voicemail for less than that.

Plans like that do exist, if you ask for em.

jokkir

I'm not sure about last night, but I think I've streetpassed you at least twice prior to this concert.

edit: just checked, I have 1 tag from you from 4 months ago.

4 months ago... did you go to the Playstation event at Bathurst & College (I think it's college)?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think you should switch to another provider who can give you unlimited talk, text, and data with voicemail for less than that.

Plans like that do exist, if you ask for em.
On the big three for a completely new user though?
Online anyway, all the plans seem to be very similar. I don't want to be the RFD guy who calls in to complain to try to get some free feature either... I'm just not built for that kind of haggling. lol

zroid

Banned
4 months ago... did you go to the Playstation event at Bathurst & College (I think it's college)?

I think there were at least a couple people I SP'd for a second time yesterday, where the first was at the Sony thing.
rather appropriately, yesterday was also at a Sony thing

On the big three for a completely new user though?
Online anyway, all the plans seem to be very similar. I don't want to be the RFD guy who calls in to complain to try to get some free feature either... I'm just not built for that kind of haggling. lol

I was in a different situation than you are, having been a "loyal" customer for close to 15 years with one company.

But, the approach that I would take is to let whomever you're calling know that you got an offer for (whatever it is) for (whatever the price), and because you know they're (some positive attribute) you want to give them the opportunity to win your business. See what they'll do for you. It's not complaining, it's letting them compete for your money.

It is possible to get a wholly unlimited plan for less than $60/month, all-in, from the big three.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was in a different situation than you are, having been a "loyal" customer for close to 15 years with one company.

But, the approach that I would take is to let whomever you're calling know that you got an offer for (whatever it is) for (whatever the price), and because you know they're (some positive attribute) you want to give them the opportunity to win your business. See what they'll do for you. It's not complaining, it's letting them compete for your money.

It is possible to get a wholly unlimited plan for less than $60/month, all-in, from the big three.

I hope that's something that I can do after a few years burdened by this contract!
A purely unlimited plan for 60 dollars sounds amazing though.

whitehawk

Banned
Yup!

I honestly think the musicians appreciate the change of pace and just raw enthusiasm from the crowd. It can certainly be irritating to hear people shout junk in the middle of the performance, but if you're worried about them being offended, don't! :)
Yup. Turns out I know someone who was in the choir. He loved the crowd, and I quote; "The audience was so good. We sing better when we hear that!"

Quadratic

Thinking of going to Burger's Priest in the Beaches on Thursday, is that a good time to go?

I've been on weekdays and it's less busy than the weekends for sure. Just take note that they do not have seating at that location. You'll need to eat in the park nearby, on the benches across the street or in your car. Hopefully it won't be raining that day.

I've been on weekdays and it's less busy than the weekends for sure. Just take note that they do not have seating at that location. You'll need to eat in the park nearby, on the benches across the street or in your car. Hopefully it won't be raining that day.

Plan to eat in Woodbine Park

I don't ever remember being in the Beaches area though, how is parking?

Quick

Banned
I saw people camping out outside of EB Games at Warden and Eglinton this evening. For Borderlands 2.

Why?

Friend of mine did that, too. He's extremely excited for that game.

I pretty much outgrew midnight launch lineups after last fall's releases. Just didn't see the point in lining up for something that's (probably) well-stocked just hours later. There's really no incentive to doing it. The only thing I got was an Arkham City poster.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Because they're not gonna run out of copies, and you're sitting outside a store all night in the barren wasteland of a shopping centre on Eglinton East.
"Console peasants being forced to wait for a physical copy of the game in order to play at night" or something.

I'm trying to remember the last time I bought a game at midnight and played into the morning... the only thing that comes to mind is Halo 3 and GTA4, but I'm sure I did that with other games since then.

Haha no, midnight launches for most games are a complete waste of time

I've only gone to a midnight launch for WoW, and I drove to futureshop, got the game and gears 2 as well, then went home............there had been people lined up for hours =/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Something gives me the impression you're camped out there.

Last time I did something like that was the PS2 launch. We showed up at 6am, and still got one.
It's not about getting it, it's about playing it the second it comes out.
I mean, you might as well ask why people go watch movies at midnight when something like The Avengers won't "sell out" for months.

It's mostly irrelevant now, because PC and PS3 gets minute-zero releases. It's really just 360 people that are stuck needing physical copies anyway. lol

I totally agree. It's strange behavior. The worst I've ever seen were some crazed Apple fanatics in line for the midnight launch of a slight operating system upgrade for OSX. Imagine lining up for that?!

Toronto photo of the day:

hpzii.jpg

source

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I've only gone to a midnight launch for WoW, and I drove to futureshop, got the game and gears 2 as well, then went home............there had been people lined up for hours =/

Haha reminds me of the midnight launch for Skyrim. I had to get a copy at Hillcrest.

Drove up there for 11:50pm and was out of there by 12:15. There were people lined up since 9:30 apparently.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hi Folks!

I am going to be in Toronto next weekend for a friend's birthday. We're going to be doing Trampoline Dodgeball and then going to a club(?) called Bloke and 4th.

Has anyone done/been to either of those?

Quadratic

Plan to eat in Woodbine Park

I don't ever remember being in the Beaches area though, how is parking?
On Thursdays parking shouldn't be an issue.You should find something on Queen Street. The LCBO is a good option too if you don't leave your car there too long. I heard they sometimes enforce since it's a popular spot to eat Burger's Priest.

zroid

Banned
Anyone seen the documentary "Let's All Hate Toronto"?

Sounds entertaining, but I have no idea where I could download it, and it's not available at my library. If it's good maybe I'll buy the DVD. Price is reasonable.

Anyone seen the documentary "Let's All Hate Toronto"?

Sounds entertaining, but I have no idea where I could download it, and it's not available at my library. If it's good maybe I'll buy the DVD. Price is reasonable.

I saw it. It's not nearly as good as it could have been.
Although, this one part where this one businesswoman from Calgary complains about Toronto was great comedy in my opinion. She looked pathetic.

Overall though, they waste a lot of time on nothing.

zroid

Banned

So it's actually available completely freely? Interesting :O

I saw it. It's not nearly as good as it could have been.
Although, this one part where this one businesswoman from Calgary complains about Toronto was great comedy in my opinion. She looked pathetic.

Overall though, they waste a lot of time on nothing.

Heh, I see. Based on your non-recommendation I probably would have skipped it, but given the above link I may as well check it out for kicks.

EDIT: that song in the first couple minutes! so good

EDIT2: I also have to come clean, having lived here my whole life, I was completely unaware of this supposed widespread "hatred" until I watched Corner Gas for the first time. I'm still not entirely convinced it's a real thing.

EDIT2: I also have to come clean, having lived here my whole life, I was completely unaware of this supposed widespread "hatred" until I watched Corner Gas for the first time. I'm still not entirely convinced it's a real thing.

For work I've traveled a lot... all over Canada and all over the world. The thing I noticed was that the opinion of Toronto from Americans and people in Europe was very positive.
The shit I had to listen to from Canadians on the other hand was the worst.. especially the way people in Alberta and Vancouver were talking to me. You would think I killed their mother or something.
Of course I *would* kill their mother since I'm from Toronto but I hadn't yet!

Azih

For work I've traveled a lot... all over Canada and all over the world. The thing I noticed was that the opinion of Toronto from Americans and people in Europe was very positive.
The shit I had to listen to from Canadians on the other hand was the worst.. especially the way people in Alberta and Vancouver were talking to me. You would think I killed their mother or something.
Of course I *would* kill their mother since I'm from Toronto but I hadn't yet!

Yeah the difference between the international opinion of Toronto and the national one is staggering.

Quick

Banned
I don't think I've encountered anyone outside of Toronto who doesn't like Toronto. Then again, the furthest out (in terms of Canada) that I've been to is Montreal, and they probably talk shit, but I just don't understand them. :lol

Otherwise, I've only heard good things from Americans.

Anth0ny

I think the only games id care enough about to do a midnight launch are nintendo first party games.

there has never been a midnight launch for a first party nintendo game.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I think the only time I've ever lined up for a game was for Smash Bros Brawl. That was mostly because we were going to have a SSB party at college and we had to make sure we'd actually get the game.

Aside from that, I've only lined up for the Wii. It was really cold.

I've lined up for SNES (it was on sale so we went before the store opened) and Gamecube (at launch, for 20 minutes before the store opened at 10am or whatever)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas I think are the only things I have ever lined up for off the top of my head.

Top Bottom