• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

zroid

Banned
hmm... I have lined up for Wii, Starcraft II, and Diablo III.

Waiting in the deep freeze of early morning for the Wii was bloody awful but getting that thing on day one was totally worth it.

SC2 and D3 I had pre-ordered online anyway, I just wanted to get the free shit. :p

Wow. Bell really really doesn't want me to cancel their internet. This the the second year in a row I've tried to cancel but they just keep making the deals even more ridiculous than the previous year. As soon as you say you are cancelling the service, the deals start flying!
This time they are giving me the 25Mbps internet with 300gigs bandwidth for only $30. I mean, I want to cancel because they are evil and I hate them but it's hard to argue with that price.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Wow. Bell really really doesn't want me to cancel their internet. This the the second year in a row I've tried to cancel but they just keep making the deals even more ridiculous than the previous year. As soon as you say you are cancelling the service, the deals start flying!
This time they are giving me the 25Mbps internet with 300gigs bandwidth for only $30. I mean, I want to cancel because they are evil and I hate them but it's hard to argue with that price.

That's not bad at all, :lol

Blackhead

Redarse
Is that a timed deal so sign a 1yr contract, pay $30 for the first 3 months and then $$$ for next 9 months?

Is that a timed deal so sign a 1yr contract, pay $30 for the first 3 months and then $$$ for next 9 months?

For one year then it goes to normal price, but what I do is just call after 11 months and say I want to cancel when the cheap year is up and then they say "well what if I told you I could save you even more money..." and then the deals come flying. I'll have to call again after 11 months obviously and repeat the process. I guess it screws the type of person that would forget to call and threaten to cancel though... I never forget. Three years in a row and my internet keeps getting faster and the price keeps getting lower!

Blackhead

Redarse
For one year then it goes to normal price, but what I do is just call after 11 months and say I want to cancel when the cheap year is up and then they say "well what if I told you I could save you even more money..." and then the deals come flying. I'll have to call again after 11 months obviously and repeat the process. I guess it screws the type of person that would forget to call and threaten to cancel though... I never forget. Three years in a row and my internet keeps getting faster and the price keeps getting lower!

lol, if anyone deserves to be strung along it's bell. Nicely played.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dat retentions!

I still want unlimited internet though, so Bell isn't an option. I'm still on one of Bell's unlimited plans, but that's done the moment I move, so I have no real reason to stay with them despite being with them for like 10 years.

(Also, they're trying to so hard to push people off unlimited because they probably want to tell the CRTC that they have no more unlimited customers so that they can bring back their UBB scheme again. I'm paying an arm and a leg for it at the moment any how.)

I got an unlimited Primus deal that was for Costco customers. It's not as fast as my old Roger's connection, but it's serviceable and pretty cheap. 60 GB limit is not good if you get Netflix, lol.

explodet

I've lined up for the GameCube and Wii, as well as launches for Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King. Won a crappy ATI figure for answering a trivia question correctly at that last one (and tossed it soon after). Hung out with a bro for the launch of God of War III, but didn't pick it up myself.

I might do the Wii U launch, if I can get a brick and mortar preorder in (already got an online one in).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Jesus, can't make this shit up:

“It’s not something I intended to be offensive,” he said through translator Robbie Guerra, a lawyer for the players’ union.

The controversy surrounding Escobar’s eye black erupted Monday afternoon when a photo of the 29-year-old Cuban — who has been with the Jays since 2010 — was posted online by a Jays’ fan and season-ticket holder showing the words “tu ere maricon” written into the patches players wear to reduce the sun’s glare.

The phrase’s most common English translation is “You are a faggot,” though other translations suggest it is an emasculating insult, but not explicitly homophobic.

Escobar said he wrote the words himself, meant nothing in particular by it and was not directing it at anyone. He said among Latinos, the word is not offensive.

“I don’t have anything against homosexuals,” he said. “I have friends who are gay.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/article/1258364--blue-jays-yunel-escobar-suspended-three-games-for-homophobic-slur

Divvy

Why didnt you bold the part where it says that its not necessarily homophobic?

Probably because:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/article/1258218--was-yunel-escobar-s-face-painted-with-a-homophobic-slur-not-so-fast

I put the same question to Prof. Michelle Gonzalez, an expert on Cuban culture at the University of Miami. What does it mean in the Cuban context?

“It’s a slur referring to homosexuals.”

Could it be used in fun?

“I suppose people will use it in jest, but I don’t know if that makes it any less offensive,” Gonzalez said with a lip-curl of distaste in her voice.

Divvy

Ive heard other native Spanish speakers say it could mean sissy or wuss. Im not defending Escobar but Im just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Well it's possible he didn't mean it as a slur, but I find it hard to believe he wasn't aware of it's common usage. Then writing is on your face when you're a sports star is still some ungodly amount of stupidity.

Stet

Banned
Chicago's transit is so much better than Toronto's transit. Let's build some L trains. Also, Millenium Park is amazing. I wish we could do something that interesting, instead of endless pedestrian squares.

Well it's possible he didn't mean it as a slur, but I find it hard to believe he wasn't aware of it's common usage. Then writing is on your face when you're a sports star is still some ungodly amount of stupidity.

I guess thats true. I didnt initially see it that way.

Anyone know a good place for Bowling on Saturday? (downtown Toronto, even GTA is fine)

Cosmic Bowling is also preferred, I don't care much for the overpriced, crowded "Bowl Room" on Richmond and John.

Thanks

Magnus

Toronto-GAF!

Holler at me via PM in the next 15 minutes if you'd like free passes to go see Pitch Perfect early, next Monday at 7pm, Yonge/Dundas.

Specify:

Name
Business Address
Contact Phone Number
Number of passes desired (each pass admits TWO -- I can do a max of 4 until I run out).

Hurry if you'd like some!

Thanks!

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siEHekc-1oE

pitch-perfect-contest.jpg

I won't be doing the Toronto photo of the day for a while. I'm trying to change my morning routine and one of those things includes staying off the internet in the mornings. I'll still be posting in here.. just not in the morning wasting time.

but here is one more for now:

fA6hw.jpg

source

and don't forget you can always find more pictures here:

SkyscraperCity Toronto Photos

Quadratic

I heard from a friend it's the same as the NYC prices. Which are reasonable. The food is great. But that's wholly subjective, I'm a big fan of asian cuisine. People will clamor for this stuff. I expect this weekend to be crazytown.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I heard from a friend it's the same as the NYC prices. Which are reasonable. The food is great. But that's wholly subjective, I'm a big fan of asian cuisine. People will clamor for this stuff. I expect this weekend to be crazytown.
I've always wanted to check it out ever since one of the Bourdain NYC episodes where he hangs out with the dude. What is it actually like?

Quadratic

Years after Noodlebar opened in NYC it's hard to just walk in during dinner or lunch rush. They will place your name on a list and take a cell number (at the NYC location) and call you once your table is ready. Unless people are taking a long ass time or its a birthday you get in and out pretty fast. It's loud and crowded like at Guu. (I'm using my experience at the NYC location as an estimate) I don't expect the cooks here to be quite as efficient as their counterparts (to be expected) so the waits might be a bit longer the first few weeks.

Anth0ny

via Future Shop Twitter:

@Anthh0ny Future Shop is working with Nintendo for Wii U demo days across the country b4 Nov 18th & midnight openings. Stay tuned 4 details

Sounds cool. I think I'm going to just hit up Future Shop at Highway 7 in Vaughan for the Wii U launch/camp out... it's about a 5 minute drive from my house, as opposed to the hour+ drive it would be from downtown. I'm okay with waiting another 6 or 8 hours past midnight, and that location lets you wait indoors during special launches. That's a very good thing in late November.

Divvy

Would the yonge/dundas Futureshop be indoors? They wouldn't actually make people line up on yonge would they? There's a lobby inside the building.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Would the yonge/dundas Futureshop be indoors? They wouldn't actually make people line up on yonge would they? There's a lobby inside the building.

3DS launch, they made people stand outside in March when it was around freezing during the evening. Totally disorganized. Skyward Sword launch was much better, and they had people line up inside the complex, at the second level right in front of the store. I'm betting we'll be lining up inside again.

Divvy

3DS launch, they made people stand outside in March when it was around freezing during the evening. Totally disorganized. Skyward Sword launch was much better, and they had people line up inside the complex, at the second level right in front of the store. I'm betting we'll be lining up inside again.

Good to hear. Time to organize a meetup?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Momofuku's pork buns are in my opinion their signature dish. They are so good.
http://momofukufor2.com/blog/photos/2010/01/porkbuns-51-530x354.jpg
http://momofukufor2.com/2010/01/momofuku-pork-buns/

The ramen isn't shabby either.

http://momofukufor2.com/blog/photos/2010/01/momofuku-0143-450x301.jpg
http://momofukufor2.com/2010/01/momofuku-ramen-2/

EDIT: Just an addition I want to make. The pictures and website are from a home cook who has made the recipe's from the Momofuku cookbook by David Chang. The pictures are pretty accurate to what you get at the restaurant proper.

Man, that looks good either way. lol

zroid

Banned
via Future Shop Twitter:

@Anthh0ny Future Shop is working with Nintendo for Wii U demo days across the country b4 Nov 18th & midnight openings. Stay tuned 4 details

Sounds cool. I think I'm going to just hit up Future Shop at Highway 7 in Vaughan for the Wii U launch/camp out... it's about a 5 minute drive from my house, as opposed to the hour+ drive it would be from downtown. I'm okay with waiting another 6 or 8 hours past midnight, and that location lets you wait indoors during special launches. That's a very good thing in late November.

f yes. gimme dat demo.

whitehawk

Banned
Momofuku's pork buns are in my opinion their signature dish. They are so good.
porkbuns-51-530x354.jpg

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/01/momofuku-pork-buns/

The ramen isn't shabby either.

momofuku-0143-450x301.jpg

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/01/momofuku-ramen-2/

EDIT: Just an addition I want to make. The pictures and website are from a home cook who has made the recipe's from the Momofuku cookbook by David Chang. The pictures are pretty accurate to what you get at the restaurant proper.
Next GAF meetup at this place. That is if they are licensed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, they have to be licensed. That's bank for any restaurant. lol

What I like is that they don't show prices on their menus. Because if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't go. lol

Huh, weird that they don't list the prices on the menu itself. I guess if they really do change it every day, it's something they don't bother with.

I have been trained to be wary of places that don't put the price on the menu proper. Or, they do something like "Market Price". *shudder*

$95 Lobster tail. Mother of pearl...

Magnus

I finally got to see the film I've been helping promote all summer tonight. Fuck, that was some funny shit. Great time. Totally a case of Bridesmaids meets Glee, so perfect for me, haha.

Top Bottom