• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Honestly, I don`t even know whose side I am on this anymore.

Stintz as always been an ass, so it's not surprising her reaction is like this. But Metrolinx blindsided the TTC from the sound of it. This city just knows how to fuck up transit plans royally. Looking forward to the Spadina extension being the only transit built in the city in the next two decades.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stintz as always been an ass, so it's not surprising her reaction is like this. But Metrolinx blindsided the TTC from the sound of it. This city just knows how to fuck up transit plans royally. Looking forward to the Spadina extension being the only transit built in the city in the next two decades.
At this point, we'll probably just keep running buses forever. lol

I think she's carving out her path to run for mayor, just as she has for the last five years.

As for the wisdom of Metrolinx's move...there's a whole lot more to this story that isn't in the papers yet, and I don't doubt that the Queen's Park bureau of every major daily will make a few FOI requests to try to figure out what - and who - was behind this decision.

Honestly, I don`t even know whose side I am on this anymore.

The way things go, it was bound to end up mired in red tape.

That's WHY we have a transit system that's decades behind the times.

As for the wisdom of Metrolinx's move...there's a whole lot more to this story that isn't in the papers yet, and I don't doubt that the Queen's Park bureau of every major daily will make a few FOI requests to try to figure out what - and who - was behind this decision.

Metrolinx did this because they don't trust the city to actually go through with the plan. If they put in the hands of the TTC, it's potentially changeable at the whims of "Ford Nation".

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well I think we all knew they were going to fuck it up somehow. I didn't expect it to be this soon though.

This one is too good to pass up:

PEabd.jpg

source

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is that fog rolling across the lake?

Yep. I always love the 4-5 real 'foggy' days we get per year back here.

p.s. Humber Bay Park East, in the front of the photo, is an amazing park. I love taking the dog there; It really does feel like a very natural park and gives some great views of the city.

p.s. Humber Bay Park East, in the front of the photo, is an amazing park. I love taking the dog there; It really does feel like a very natural park and gives some great views of the city.

Is it worth a day trip for the wife and I? How do you get to that park on the TTC?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is it worth a day trip for the wife and I? How do you get to that park on the TTC?

Probably a good way to spend the afternoon, especially if you plan to bring lunch and stay for a while. The park is not nearly the largest found around Toronto, but it's one of my favourites. You'll probably see less and less people out there as the weather cools down, although it's rarely super crowded like High Park.

Best way to access the park via TTC is to take the 501 streetcar down to Park Lawn Rd (west of the Humber Loop). This will drop you off right in front of the park. If you're hungry afterwards, you can head a bit further west on the 501 and reach Islington Village, which has a lot of pubs and places to grab a snack.

If you want a bit of a longer, but still great walk, get off at Windermere and walk along the waterfront path, over the very cool Humber Bay Arch Bridge and through the Butterfly Sanctuary. Then you'll reach the Humber Bay East park. The West Park is more developed and I definitely prefer sticking to the east.

If you want a full day walk, go to Old Mill Station and walk south along the Humber through King Mills Park and the Humber Marsh. You'll come out at the mouth of the Humber, around the Arch Bridge and can do the rest of the walk described above.

Here's a Google Map of the full length walk.

zroid

Banned
That park looks awesome, I need to get out more. The only park I ever tend to go to around the GTA is Scarborough Bluffs, and even then not often.

Never underestimate Toronto's penchant for failure.

I still don't understand why a bridge to the Toronto Islands was a bad idea.

The real reason for there being no bridge is because they didn't want the island airport gradually turning into a busy regional hub.

As for my personal feelings on that, having to take the ferry to the islands makes it more of a "getaway". It's difficult to get to without being too difficult to get to. Put a bridge in, and it becomes just another park.

This one is too good to pass up:

PEabd.jpg

source

That's a good one.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Correct, the issue was really about the airport becoming too busy. But the real reason behind that are the island residents and their NIMBYism. Ferries are really ineffective for the short ride, given maintenance, frequency, capacity.

I really would love commuter ferries, but I guess they're mostly just duplicating GO Train routes if you ran some from downtown to Port Credit for instance.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
More bad news for TTC users..

Toronto transit union threatens slowdown over TTC contracting out

snippets from the article:

Transit workers’ union president Bob Kinnear says his members are ready to go to war over the TTC’s plans to contract out bus cleaning.

A work-to-rule campaign that would bring the system to a crawl is only one of the options Kinnear says the union will consider if the city councillors on the Toronto Transit Commission approve the outsourcing at Thursday’s meeting.

“Work-to-rule is definitely an option. We are contemplating our next course of action if they move forward,” Kinnear told the Star on Friday.

TTC chair Karen Stintz refused to comment on the union threats Friday.

But TTC spokesman Brad Ross noted that nobody would lose their jobs as a result of the contracting out. The TTC followed all the protocols as outlined in the collective agreement.

I'm really looking forward to the new streetcars in the next couple of years, but all other future projects for the TTC don't look so great right now..

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Workers go to war but they can't strike, right? I thought essential service nonsense and no striking.

Bah. Idiots find a way...

They only have to work to a specific capacity. Meaning less frequent trains / streetcars, meaning more crowded, slower and only during rush hours on the weekdays.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They only have to work to a specific capacity. Meaning less frequent trains / streetcars, meaning more crowded, slower and only during rush hours on the weekdays.
Yep, bare minimum and following rules super closely. Get ready for slow boarding on all buses/streetcars as drivers look closely at all metropasses and transfers.

I know someone who's a higher up with a transit union (not the TTC) who would always recommend his fellow members to reject strikes in favour of work-to-rule because it was more effective. He felt it was better to get paid while negotiating because whatever gained rarely made up for the lost wages and that strikes automatically turned the public against the union members and they'd be legislated back to work anyway.

Flash

Yep, bare minimum and following rules super closely. Get ready for slow boarding on all buses/streetcars as drivers look closely at all metropasses and transfers.

I know someone who's a higher up with a transit union (not the TTC) who would always recommend his fellow members to reject strikes in favour of work-to-rule because it was more effective. He felt it was better to get paid while negotiating because whatever gained rarely made up for the lost wages and that strikes automatically turned the public against the union members and they'd be legislated back to work anyway.

i remember last time they "worked to rule"... I can honestly say I noticed didn't notice any differences.

Flash

on a side note, I have noticed the ttc is MUCH improved between wilson and downsview in the morning. Before it would take forever because the train would just sit there for 5-10 minutes at a time. There are also a lot of less St. Clair turn back trains which is great for me as well.

then again i'm always going there very early (8am) so there might be a lot of delays after that

Top Bottom