• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
on a side note, I have noticed the ttc is MUCH improved between wilson and downsview in the morning. Before it would take forever because the train would just sit there for 5-10 minutes at a time. There are also a lot of less St. Clair turn back trains which is great for me as well.

then again i'm always going there very early (8am) so there might be a lot of delays after that

When I lived near Eglinton West Station, short turns at St Clair were mostly a nightmare after 9pm. Good to hear it's better, although I don't know if I'd live north of St Clair anymore.

Last iOS6 map thing, but I found this hilarious:
A3biPgUCcAAv4nN.jpg

Quadratic

Wow...1 hour wait told to me by a snooty motherfucker. No thanks.
They didn't offer to take your cell number and call when a table is ready? That was they did in NYC. Noodlebar is supposed to be the casual restaurant. Daisho and Shoto will be sit down restaurants that will take reservations. Not sure the status of those two yet. I'll chime in with my impressions after I go Monday.

whitehawk

Banned
So I'm looking at the new $100 bill that I have... And I realized that there is no year on it. Old bills print what year they were printed, but the new ones don't =/

Why would they do this? I'm always curious about how old my money is. I found a 1921 US penny recently which I find fascinating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, Chang was on Treme again. Of course, no one watches the show, but still, I can imagine some people wanting to go if they did watch it. lol

Stet

Banned
Went to school with his grandson. Nice kid. Shame.

Trying to get my Jury Duty deferred is a nightmare. They move super slowly in here. It's like the room that time forgot.

Quick

Banned
I hope we have at least one more "warm" weekend left. It's too soon to be breaking out the coats...

I walked out of the door on Saturday with summer attire. I then stood still for a moment, contemplating taking my coat out, because taking it out would mean that I confirm and accept the cold weather. Went back in and got my coat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's Yonge and Gould and it's a walled off construction site with diggers and drillers.
Well, that area. :p

And jeez, what about the building across the street that got burned out, did they do anything with that yet?

This is shaping up to be yet another decade long project in the heart of downtown. Just like the Yonge and Bloor condo that doesn't exist yet.

Rinoa

I hope we have at least one more "warm" weekend left. It's too soon to be breaking out the coats...

Yeah this is the coldest mid-september we've had in a long time. It's never this cold, I distinctly remember wearing my sandals and chiffon skirts just fine. Especially weird considering how warm early sept was.

Blackhead

Redarse
Moved and got a promo from bell in the mail about signing up for their Fibe services. It promised an activation fee of $50. Checked the fine print and saw that signing up with a no contract term requires an activation fee of $250! 0_0. Teksavvy's fee is less than half that.
Speaking of which: Is there a cable TV equivalent to Teksavvy? What's the cheapest way to get HBO and soccer?
Man, Chang was on Treme again. Of course, no one watches the show, but still, I can imagine some people wanting to go if they did watch it. lol
so does momofuku become a Toronto institution that you take tourists to? Or is it more akin to a new Starbucks opening around the corner?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
so does momofuku become a Toronto institution that you take tourists to? Or is it more akin to a new Starbucks opening around the corner?

I have no idea what happens when famous chefs open restaurants in different cities. Do they franchise out to a local chef? Or does Chang show up once a month to cook? I assume if he's actually involved, it could be a place to go for people who are obsessed with famous chefs.

Booo

Ryerson's Pres doesn't want to put the Sam the Record Man sign back up but will do it if the City orders him to.....as per their agreement

What a knob, that sign needs to go back up, its iconic

Quadratic

Went to Momofuku tonight and had a really great time. Solid meal. I've read a lot of posts on Chowhound shitting on the place. I found it to be just as good as the NYC location. Anything opening with this hype will have some pretty harsh and vocal critics. You can say it's overpriced and you can "make this at home" all you want if you go in with super high expectations. No issue getting a table of 4 right as they opened at 5pm. Left at 6 and only 2 people waiting for a table when we left. Planning on making a return trip. I want to check out the bar on the second floor and the large format restaurants when they are open. I read they also brought up some of the NYC staff to help with the opening. Service was super quick and efficient. The server that waited on us was super nice and friendly, very on top of refilling water and getting rid of our empty plates.

Pork Buns
IMG_0617.jpg

Ramen
IMG_0616.jpg

Special of the day which was fried rice with crispy chicken skin
IMG_0611.jpg

Cold sichuan noodles with cashews and sausage
IMG_0614.jpg

Rice cakes aka Korean ddukbokki
IMG_0613.jpg

Postcard at the end of the meal
IMG_0618.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Went to Momofuku tonight and had a really great time. Solid meal. I've read a lot of posts on Chowhound shitting on the place. I found it to be just as good as the NYC location. Anything opening with this hype will have some pretty harsh and vocal critics. You can say it's overpriced and you can "make this at home" all you want if you go in with super high expectations. No issue getting a table of 4 right as they opened at 5pm. Left at 6 and only 2 people waiting for a table when we left. Planning on making a return trip. I want to check out the bar on the second floor and the large format restaurants when they are open. I read they also brought up some of the NYC staff to help with the opening. Service was super quick and efficient. The server that waited on us was super nice and friendly, very on top of refilling water and getting rid of our empty plates.

So right as it opens is a good time to try and get in. Hmm...I may give it a try...though I'll get transit there instead of parking.

That Sam the Record Man story is pretty sad.

My mom was actually friends with him long ago.

In any case, time to recall some lyrics...

Drove downtown in the rain
Nine-thirty on a tuesday night,
Just to check out the late-night
Record shop.
Call it impulsive
Call it compulsive,
Call it insane;
But when I'm surrounded
I just can't stop.

Quadratic

So right as it opens is a good time to try and get in. Hmm...I may give it a try...though I'll get transit there instead of parking.

It's a block away from Osgoode station. Take my time getting a table with a grain of salt. It is Monday after all, not the hottest night of the week to dine out.

Rinoa

My older brother used to work the videogame section at Sam's, lot of great memories of playing the latest console releases there. If it wasn't for his job there, we wouldn't have been exposed to a lot of games and imported music from Japan and the rest of Asia that other Canadian stores would never carry in a million years.

http://www.cp24.com/man-67-struck-and-killed-in-mall-parking-lot-1.969652
Dirty Duff's parking lot area is such a charlie foxtrot of cabs and close calls :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, I remember when they had a video games section... and how it was the first to disappear when they started contracting the store.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The best ramen I've had in the GTA is still at Guu. Kenzo is good too, but not up to par with Guu. Of course you get more options at Kenzo. Haven't been to the new place opened by the Guu folks but I hear it's pretty great.

Stet

Banned
I like both Kenzo and Guu. I'd go to Kenzo for ramen, but I'd go to Guu more often. For everything else. And maybe ramen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Top Bottom