• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Quick

Banned
My store mixed it up between the regular music we play and Christmas music last year. I'm okay with that.

But starting it off on November 1st is too damn early. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if we're playing Christmas music or not.

My work we already put up the xmas decorations, there is an xmas party sunday morning :|

So Yorkdale had to be evacuated tonight due to a small fire at Milestones.....however, no one was in a rush to leave since the fire alarm was being tested all day and was going on and off all damn evening lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My work we already put up the xmas decorations, there is an xmas party sunday morning :|

So Yorkdale had to be evacuated tonight due to a small fire at Milestones.....however, no one was in a rush to leave since the fire alarm was being tested all day and was going on and off all damn evening lol

I've never seen anyone take an unscheduled fire alarm seriously. People basically have to see fire, or at least smoke to GTFO in a serious manner.

Oppo

So good. So glad I switched over to Cable from DSL a couple of years ago. The difference in speed is astounding.

I hope that shit about TekSavvy getting a speed bump is true. my one measly megabit upstream is starting to rankle something fierce.
3Mbps is of course a 300% improvement.

I've never seen anyone take an unscheduled fire alarm seriously. People basically have to see fire, or at least smoke to GTFO in a serious manner.

No one knew they had to leave because the damn alarm had been going off all day, there was actually a fire lol.....the parking lot was a mess after

Anyone ever been to Jumbo Empanadas in Kensington market? I been going there for a few years and always recommend it to people. Best empanadas in the city.

I told myself I'd be cheap and bring a lunch to save money while going to u of t, but godamn it's near impossible when I'm a metre away from so many great places to eat. :(

YES! I was there Nov 1 and it made me rage to have to hear it for the 15mins waiting in line to pay. And according to comments, Walmart "has back to school sales in July" WTF?

I seriously hate retailers, they ruin nice things. I used to love christmas music but now it's just, as another commenter said "howling spend spend spend".

The back-to-school-sale-in-July always made me a depressed high school student :p

Ya, it's the city. Nobody gives a toss about fire alarms.

Earlier this year I got back from a bike ride and my building's fire alarm was going off. The elevators were down, so I just carried my bike up the stairway. The firemen saw me, and didn't even say anything.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

It's sad really. We've all had so many tests and false alarms that we don't even react to it any more.

Oppo

It's sad really. We've all had so many tests and false alarms that we don't even react to it any more.

when I lived in apartment buildings, I'd just turn on the lobby cam channel on the tv and look to see if the firefighters were running, or sauntering, into the building. if sauntering, engage earphones and ignore.

Roto13

when I lived in apartment buildings, I'd just turn on the lobby cam channel on the tv and look to see if the firefighters were running, or sauntering, into the building. if sauntering, engage earphones and ignore.

Man, I wish I had one of those.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It was enough of a mess there. Now with Walmart it's going to be even worse. The only redeeming thing is that Tropical Joes is in the food court.

Yeah, it was more crowded than usual. Electronics wasn't opened yet, though I saw they were almost ready, and a whole section was still being worked on, which is supposedly going to be clothing...and who knows what else.

Everything is so tightly stacked together, but I will say there is going to be a lot more there than Zellers will ever have.

It'll do gangbusters since this is such a poor neighborhood.

soultron

Banned
Anyone going to Gamer camp tomorrow? I'll be there. Met Alpha there last year and had a grand ol' hover handing time. I'll be carrying my official GAF Gold card. (Provided by Nerfgun!)

GqYXV.jpg

source

whitehawk

Banned
Anyone going to Gamer camp tomorrow? I'll be there. Met Alpha there last year and had a grand ol' hover handing time. I'll be carrying my official GAF Gold card. (Provided by Nerfgun!)
What's gamer camp?

edit: ah I see you meant today. Well I'm working either way so I can't go. But now that I know about it I might go next year.

Magnus

Guys, where do I take old electronics that I want to throw away? I'm talking things like AC adapters, old keyboards network cables that sort of thing.

Yeah. I had to bail out (forgot the timing to volunteer, not exactly have enough floating money just to attend).
Guys, where do I take old electronics that I want to throw away? I'm talking things like AC adapters, old keyboards network cables that sort of thing.

City of Toronto website pointed to here: http://www.recycleyourelectronics.ca/electronics/default.aspx. I know that for York Region, there are numerous sites that you can take that stuff to directly.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I should have checked the this thread before hand. I was at Gamer Camp all weekend. Even did the Phoenix Wright showing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That's lovely. I wish I could wake up to that view.

Oh also, are we doing a meetup for the WiiU launch? Is FS even doing a midnight launch anymore?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just a bit of snow coming down this morning during my dog walk. Awwyeah.

That's lovely. I wish I could wake up to that view.

Oh also, are we doing a meetup for the WiiU launch? Is FS even doing a midnight launch anymore?

Futureshop has announced (via their forums) they're not doing any midnight launches because they don't have enough units (after preorders) to warrant doing it.

Likewise, most EBgames / Gamestops won't be doing a midnight launch either.

I'll probably show up an hour early on Sunday morning to Dundas Square Futureshop (opens at 11am), and hopefully beat some of the line. But since I have a preorder, it'll just be a matter of making it to a cashier.

Holy shit... I was riding my bike late at night a week or so ago and almost ran over a photographer at that same exact spot. He wasn't watching his surroundings and just wandered into bike path. I bet it was him.

Was he muttering to himself "I can't wait to Photoshop the shit out of this!" If so, then it was probably him!

Willectro

Banned
Futureshop has announced (via their forums) they're not doing any midnight launches because they don't have enough units (after preorders) to warrant doing it.

Likewise, most EBgames / Gamestops won't be doing a midnight launch either.

I'll probably show up an hour early on Sunday morning to Dundas Square Futureshop (opens at 11am), and hopefully beat some of the line. But since I have a preorder, it'll just be a matter of making it to a cashier.

Does Nintendo even want money? Since they are the ones who pick the release date, you would think it would be a date that they would have enough units to fill the demand.

Quick

Banned
Does Nintendo even want money? Since they are the ones who pick the release date, you would think it would be a date that they would have enough units to fill the demand.

Or it's a genius move of driving up demand, and fulfilling closer to the holidays.

Willectro

Banned
Or it's a genius move of driving up demand, and fulfilling closer to the holidays.

Selling less consoles is a genius move? I'm sure there are plenty of parents who would purchase a WiiU if they saw them in stock at the store, but they wouldn't line-up/preorder/ebay to get it. I understand the marketing concept, but I just don't think this is a great move for Nintendo if true.

Selling less consoles is a genius move? I'm sure there are plenty of parents who would purchase a WiiU if they saw them in stock at the store, but they wouldn't line-up/preorder/ebay to get it. I understand the marketing concept, but I just don't think this is a great move for Nintendo if true.

It sounds more like an organization trying to test the waters before a major marketing initiative than an organization that is in the midst of such an initiative and trying to sell off units like hotcakes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Well, it's basically Black Friday, or bust. So it's possible they would have preferred manufacturing more units, but this is what we have. Remember, this is a world wide release within three weeks, so that's a lot of consoles to spread around.

Besides, unit shortages never hurt the Wii's sales and probably drove some non-gamers to start looking for the console because it was 'the thing. Wii U probably won't have that sort of success, but lack of units for the holiday isn't going to ruin them. If you believe their projected sales numbers for the next quarter, there's going to a mass ram up in production.

It sounds more like an organization trying to test the waters before a major marketing initiative than an organization that is in the midst of such an initiative and trying to sell off units like hotcakes.

No, they're churning them out as quickly as possible. Preorders are selling out, and Nintendo is not one to tip their toes in with new consoles. This is their business, so they're going all out.

And this is not creating a fake demand, because Willectro is correct that Nintendo would prefer it if everyone who wanted one could just walk into a store between now and Christmas and pick one up. They're just behind on production (numerous issues at their production facilities including a fire and strikes) even though they'll tell you they're fine.

No, they're churning them out as quickly as possible. Preorders are selling out, and Nintendo is not one to tip their toes in with new consoles. This is their business, so they're going all out.

And this is not creating a fake demand, because Willectro is correct that Nintendo would prefer it if everyone who wanted one could just walk into a store between now and Christmas and pick one up. They're just behind on production even though they'll tell you they're fine.

So, that would make the FS posting about not stocking them in droves...?

Anyhow, that discussion really belongs elsewhere. Back to TOGAF:

Mayor Ford doesn't seem to think any of this TTC re-routing stuff is his problem.

Dyno

"I'm as clean as the day is long."

Who the fuck slings that kind of shit in real life?

We should have a heart attack pool going. I'm calling it that this guy has pig arteries put into him within a year.

Top Bottom