• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Oppo

"I'm as clean as the day is long."

Who the fuck slings that kind of shit in real life?

We should have a heart attack pool going. I'm calling it that this guy has pig arteries put into him within a year.

I guarantee he's already had several pounds of pig arte– oh you mean in his chest. Yeah probably.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Maaaan. Anyone in here remember the name of that new-ish restaurant that served what looks to be some amazing junk food. Supposedly everything is only $10. Served in a cardboard box?? Cant remember the name! searched through like 30 pages, nothing. <_<

Because they've already sold hundreds of preorders at the largest Futureshop in Toronto.. and they don't want to open the store at midnight for their minimal overflow stock only.. so Nintendo must be dipping their toes? Ummm..

We could debate this reductio ad absurdum but I'm not here to do that...all I wanted to point out was that something doesn't add up.

Maaaan. Anyone in here remember the name of that new-ish restaurant that served what looks to be some amazing junk food. Supposedly everything is only $10. Served in a cardboard box?? Cant remember the name! searched through like 30 pages, nothing. <_<

http://johnnyjackson.ca/

I wonder if they are really only open Friday and Saturday still? I'll have to call and see since I still haven't been there yet.

soultron

Banned
I should have checked the this thread before hand. I was at Gamer Camp all weekend. Even did the Phoenix Wright showing.

Oh dang! I think I streetpassed someone else from GAF. Kowaku? Their streetpass message was "www.dudebro2.com." :]

It was interesting. I stayed for the talks since I knew some of the people giving them, saw Super TIME Force and Skulls of The Shogun be played (both look fucking awesome), played some sweet games like BariBaraBall and European Rainbow Training, and then left.

I felt like Gamercamp was a bit pared down from last year. :[ Didn't really have a home-y indie feel like last year. And there was no grilled cheese or junky cereal!

zroid

Banned
Has anyone here been to Olde Yorke Fish & Chips? I really enjoy it and I'm wondering how it stacks up to the places mentioned in the OP.

Oh dang! I think I streetpassed someone else from GAF. Kowaku? Their streetpass message was "www.dudebro2.com." :]

It was interesting. I stayed for the talks since I knew some of the people giving them, saw Super TIME Force and Skulls of The Shogun be played (both look fucking awesome), played some sweet games like BariBaraBall and European Rainbow Training, and then left.

I felt like Gamercamp was a bit pared down from last year. :[ Didn't really have a home-y indie feel like last year. And there was no grilled cheese or junky cereal!
Change of venue prevented food. Yeah. :(

soultron

Banned
Change of venue prevented food. Yeah. :(
I liked the Isabel Bader theatre at UofT, but part of me wishes the Underground Theatre was still open. That was an awesome venue last year.

I wish I had the time and energy to experience all of it this year but I just didn't. Hats off as usual to Jaime, Mark, and the entire team. Lots of cool announcements like Gamercamp Jr., Gamercamp Music, and even Renaud Bedard joining Capy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone here been to Olde Yorke Fish & Chips? I really enjoy it and I'm wondering how it stacks up to the places mentioned in the OP.

Heard great things about it...but Reliable Fish and Chips in Leslieville is so much closer to me and people swear by it as well.

zroid

Banned
Heard great things about it...but Reliable Fish and Chips in Leslieville is so much closer to me and people swear by it as well.

I'm way out in (east) Markham, so neither spot is exactly a hop nor a skip away, but I do occasionally pass by Olde Yorke, which makes it a bit more convenient. Incidentally, it's practically across the road from where the Wii U tour stopped on its first day in Toronto (before it went to Dundas Square), so I picked up some lunch for myself before heading home. :)

whitehawk

Banned

That would have been me lol. I wasn't at the event though. You must have just walked by me at some point this weekend.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I think I'm finally going to give up this so called phone called a blackberry.

I have begun the research and search for a real phone.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
iphone 5 or nexus 4. Best choice for a first time user of a smartphone.

But I had a blackberry...oh OHHHH! You are funny guy!

600107oh_you_super.jpg

But yeah I'll look into it I haven't heard about the Nexus 4. I was just looking at the galaxy SIII

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
But I had a blackberry...oh OHHHH! You are funny guy!

600107oh_you_super.jpg

But yeah I'll look into it I haven't heard about the Nexus 4. I was just looking at the galaxy SIII

The N4 is 300-350 dollars unlocked and works on all the carriers. It doesn't have LTE though, if you need that. I'm getting one to use on Wind, since they're not getting LTE anytime soon.

Wasn't that high school football game at a high school football field at a high school? They couldn't let the kids go into the school for shelter until the school bus came? i wonder if they had to kick any elderly people off the bus =/

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4

I trust you because I know you.

And yeah I'm going either iphone5 or Galaxy S3.

I don't switch phones often so whichever one I choose I will probably have for years. My friends have told me I need to get one that uses LTE.

Blackhead

Redarse
WIND to release the “Unlimited Wish 25 and Unlimited Wish 40&#8243; plans on November 9th
MobileSyrup said:
The holidays are right around the corner and so far we’ve seen Rogers and Virgin Mobile’s promotional offers. Next up on the docket is WIND Mobile. Since launching in 2009 they’ve offered up a “Holiday Plan” that heavily discounts their current rate plans. According to the internal doc we received it states that WIND will be releasing their “best promotional plans ever – The Unlimited Wish 25 and Unlimited Wish 40 plans!”

These both will go into place November 9th and expire December 31st.

Unlimited Wish 25 ($25/month)
- Unlimited Local Outgoing Calls
- Unlimited Incoming Calls
- Unlimited WIND-to-WIND Canada-wide Calling
- Unlimited Outgoing/Incoming Global Texts
- Picture Messaging (20&#8373;/message Canada-wide)
- 100MB Data ($5 for each additional 100MB)
- Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forward, Call Waiting
- Voicemail+
- World Saver (featuring international long distance rates starting from 1&#8373;/minute)
- Better Together Savings option
- Up to $200 on the WINDtab

Unlimited Wish 40 ($40/month):
- Unlimited Unlimited Canada/US-wide
- Unlimited Incoming Calls
- Unlimited WIND-to-WIND Canada-wide Calling
- Unlimited Outgoing/Incoming Global Texts
- Unlimited Canada-wide Picture Messaging
- Unlimited Data
- Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forward, Call Waiting
- Voicemail+
- World Saver (featuring international long distance rates starting from 1&#8373;/minute)
- Better Together Savings option
- Up to $500 on the WINDtab

Both of these plans are available to new and existing customers. If you’re an existing customer you can call WIND and hop on board, but you’ll have to “pay a one-time processing fee of $30.”

We’ll have more info soon!
(Thanks tipster!)

Complete details and pricing of Rogers new “Simplified unlimited talk, text and internet” plans, launching November 7th

MobileSyrup said:
Last week we posted info that Rogers was planning on releasing new “Simplified Pricing with unlimited talk, text and internet” plans. Well, it’s real. Very real. You’re not dreaming. We’ve been informed that Rogers will be transitioning away from the plethora of confusing and convoluted plans to a new monthly pricing structure on November 7th. Apparently customers can opt-in to these plans, but it’s not mandatory to change what you currently have.

Seven new plans have been carefully constructed, which is downsized from the 12 they had in the Summer. So it seems they’ve decided to clean things up and will make it easier for customers to understand exactly what’s included and not included in their monthly bill.

Three plans are simply talk and text for basic users. Probably a good strategy as voice usage has been declining and internet usage, mainly caused by the adoption of smartphones, has been rising ever month (online video, surfing the web, email, TV). This focus on “internet,” previously known as data, is the direction Rogers is heading towards as they’ve eloquently branded four of the 7 plans: Occasional, Social, Streamer and Connected. Below are the complete plan details, plus pricing:

Talk and Text Plans:
$27/month:
- 150 local weekday minutes
- Unlimited Text, Picture and Video Messaging
- Unlimited Evenings & Weekends
- Unlimited Canada wide calling from your computer (Rogers One Number)

$37/month:
- 1,000 local weekday minutes

$45/month:
- 1,000 local weekday minutes
- 100MB data

Talk, Text and Internet Plans:
“Occasional” $55/month
- 1,000 Weekday minutes
- 200MB Wireless Internet (Overage is $15/GB)
- Available on Monthly and 3-year terms
- Can be shared and includes LTE

“Social” $65/month
- Unlimited Local Talk
- 1GB Wireless Internet (Overage is $15/GB)

“Streamer” $75/month:
- Unlimited Local Talk
- 3GB Wireless Internet (Overage is $15/GB)

“Connected” $95/month
- Unlimited Canadian Long Distance
- 5GB Wireless Internet (Overage is $10/GB)

The Call Display and Voice Mail are included in the value packs and start off at $12.79/month. In addition, if you want to make the local calling national calling it’s $10 extra per month.

This isn’t the first time a Canadian carrier has offered “unlimited” plans. The new carriers like WIND, Mobilicity and Public Mobile have been doing this for a couple years now, but this new “Internet focussed” direction that Rogers is forging is another “first” for the Big 3 carriers. It’ll be interesting to see how Bell and TELUS respond.

We’ll have more on this soon…

(Thanks tipster!)

Virgin to release new holiday plan and several add-ons November 7th
MobileSyrup said:
Majority of the handsets for the busy holiday season have been already been announced by the carriers. Most have been presented with the always familiar/frustrating “coming soon” label. What’s left now is for them to reveal their holiday promo plans.

Today, we present you the cards Virgin Mobile will be laying down – basically a new $30/month Text + Voicemail/Call Display plan, plus several add-ons. According to the internal doc we received it states that customers should “hold on to your candy canes, cause Virgin Mobile is about to jingle your bells!” Nice. Virgin is the only carrier that can get away with saying a line like that. The plans will start on November 7th and will be in place “until stores close” on December 31st.

$30 Text + Voicemail/Call Display:
- 150 Anytime Minutes
- Unlimited Weekends & Evenings at 5pm
- Unlimited Canada, US and International Text & Pic Messaging
- Voicemail 10 & Call Display
- Does not include Canada-Wide Calling

New data add-on promo:
- Members (subscribers) who sign up for a $15 and above data add-on on any Choice Plan will score 50% off for 3 months.

New data add-ons:
- 500MB for $15 on Choice Plans (Additional data is $10/GB and not available for BlackBerry)
- Bundle $15 on Combo Plans (includes Voicemail,Call Display, Early Evenings from 5pm and 10 hours of MobileTV)
- Visual Voice Bundle for Choice & Combo Plans ($8/month Members get our Visual Voicemail for iPhone or BlackBerry, Android is apparently coming soon)
- Anytime Minutes for Choice & Combo Plans: (100 Anytime Minutes for $10/mo, or 300 Anytime Minutes for $25/month)

We’ll perhaps see some more coming down the pipe as other carriers announce their plans. For now, that’s what Virgin has in store.

(Thanks tipster!)

cube444

Awesome place. Did you have the halibut with fries? I bought a pre-construction condo not too far from there and I'm always in the area as my gym is near there too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So, I noticed Five Guys finally opened. Pretty good burger and we basically got a bag load of fries. I thought it was on the expensive end until I realised all the regular (not tiny) hamburgers were double patties. I think I can live with this place.

jokkir

So, I noticed Five Guys finally opened. Pretty good burger and we basically got a bag load of fries. I thought it was on the expensive end until I realised all the regular (not tiny) hamburgers were double patties. I think I can live with this place.

Did you get the cajun fries? Cajun fries are amazing

Sober

Might just stick with the Mobilicity BTS 25 plan, don't have to pay for picture messaging and it has NA text instead of WIND's Canada-only text (well, worldwide text in that holiday plan is nice I guess but not gonna really budge me). Sure the unlimited mobilicity data is probably complete BS and is shaped to hell after a certain point, but whatever.

It also stopped being less spotty and I've been getting better reception and now I can browse GAF with it (knock on wood). Maybe I should probably call their CS and actually open my account on the website now.

Hieberrr

Did you get the cajun fries? Cajun fries are amazing

Word, Cajun fries are the bomb. I had them at the Rogers Centre when I worked there ==> Cajun fries + nacho cheese is the GODLIEST food that you will ever eat in your life. It laughs are poutine.

Five Guys is awesome! That burger was amazing, although I couldn't really taste the bacon. I'm gonna go for a regular cheeseburger or something next time.

Quick

Banned
Word, Cajun fries are the bomb. I had them at the Rogers Centre when I worked there ==> Cajun fries + nacho cheese is the GODLIEST food that you will ever eat in your life. It laughs are poutine.

Five Guys is awesome! That burger was amazing, although I couldn't really taste the bacon. I'm gonna go for a regular cheeseburger or something next time.

I like their fries (+1 for cajun). The burgers aren't jizzingly amazing, but they're quite good. Hurts the wallet, though.

And damn, Hieberrr, I'll have to try the cajun fries with nacho cheese on it - sounds amazing.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm getting the Nexus 4 as soon as it comes out and jumping that Wind 40 Wish plan. It will be my first smartphone ever :O

I've waiting 5 years, it's finally time to jump in.

jokkir

I'm actually thinking of switching to the $40 plan too. Anyone know about Nexus 4 coming out on Wind? That decides if I'm switching or not since I could just use the Wind tab on it :p

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm actually thinking of switching to the $40 plan too. Anyone know about Nexus 4 coming out on Wind? That decides if I'm switching or not since I could just use the Wind tab on it :p

I don't think it'll be available on Wind. Last year Google didn't sell the Galaxy Nexus via the Canada Play store because(?) it was available on every carrier but this year the Nexus4 is available on the Canadian Play Store...

That said, wouldn't it make more sense to get the most expensive device on WindTab (Galaxy SIII?), immediately flip that device on Kijiji/Craigslist and use the money for a Nexus with a little profit on the side?

whitehawk

Banned
Wind employees don't know if they are getting it, but you can just buy the phone from Google and use it with them.

Yeah why not just get the phone from google, it's pretty cheap and pentaband. Waiting for wind has zero benefits outside of planning to use it with windtab.

Top Bottom