• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
After seeing a tweet from Jay Onrait I now know I'm not crazy so I'll ask y'all:

Was it just me and Jay Onrait or did Toronto smell like poop?

Some construction must have struck a sewage pipe or something. The same thing happened to Ottawa when I went there two weeks ago. Got off the train and was like "this place smells like shit again"

neptunes

Some construction must have struck a sewage pipe or something. The same thing happened to Ottawa when I went there two weeks ago. Got off the train and was like "this place smells like shit again"

Why is the smell all across the GTA? (mississauga, brampton)

Divvy

Actually it probably has something to do with this:

rob-ford2.jpg

Dat awkward expression when someone next to you farted

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I want answers!

edit: This can't be the only reason can it? No way those animals smell that bad right?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/1285764--mystery-barnyard-smell-wafts-through-downtown-toronto

A mysterious manure-like scent wafted through downtown Toronto on Friday.

The odour hung in the air outside Union Station in the late afternoon. Twitter filled with reports of the smell.

“Smells like a pig stuffed with gym socks roasting in a tire yard,” tweeted Andrew G.

L Steiner tweeted, “Does anyone else smell manure in Toronto? Where are the cows?”

Others reported they could smell the odour as far away as the Junction, and even Mississauga and Vaughan.

The Royal Winter Fair is taking place at Exhibition Place, but that’s about 3.8 km west of Union Station.

A representative from the fair said she had no idea what could be causing the smell wafting through downtown.

IISANDERII

Toronto GAF, I need your help: I'm in the market for a new desktop computer and need suggestions on good computer stores, preferably on the East side(Scarboro).

This next part may be better put in a different thread but wth: I've been using Linux for the last few years and I'm tired of it, especially now that I was forced to upgrade to Ubuntu 11. I'm not that into computers but I think I want Windows7.
I'd like to game but I'm a console gamer so any moderate graphical upgrades from PS360 land will be fine and i prefer usability over fooling around with config/system files.

Divvy

Toronto GAF, I need your help: I'm in the market for a new desktop computer and need suggestions on good computer stores, preferably on the East side(Scarboro).

This next part may be better put in a different thread but wth: I've been using Linux for the last few years and I'm tired of it, especially now that I was forced to upgrade to Ubuntu 11. I'm not that into computers but I think I want Windows7.
I'd like to game but I'm a console gamer so any moderate graphical upgrades from PS360 land will be fine and i prefer usability over fooling around with config/system files.

Go find the "I need a new PC" thread on the gaming side. Then use the info there to build a PC (the easiest way is to just order the parts from NCIX's online store and get them to assemble it for you and pick it up from their store). This is THE way to get a great and cheap desktop in Toronto.

EDIT: Here is is:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493301&highlight=i+need+a+new+pc

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Keep an eye out for deals from NCIX / Newegg / Memory Express on Cyber Monday coming up and build your own. You'll get better results for a lot less than buying a boxed unit. Order from NCIX, have them assemble it for you, and they price match anywhere on the web. RFD has a thread dedicated to builds, although it's pretty dead recently. You can always post on there asking for recommendations and help though.

edit: Yeah, like Divvy said that thread will be really helpful too.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Dear current and prospective guests of the Four Seasons hotel in Yorkville: your privacy curtains afford you no privacy from the office building and condo towers on the other corners of the street.

Stop it, you're making this white girl hungry.

Also, butter chicken was my Indian gateway food. Now I'll eat (just about) anything.

Stop trying to peeps at my bod!

Has anyone tried Burger Factory in Mississauga? Lot of people have said good things about it but never have gotten the chance to go

I live something like 2 kilometres from there. I've always wondered about that place whenever I get Popeye's. Kind of wrote it off as a dive trying to cash in on the the gourmet burger trend given the general location--industrial strip mall.

I'll give it a try sometime in the next month and post back.

As far as the shit smell goes, I was wondering why anyone would be laying manure in their backyard this time of year.

This manure smell, I thought nothing of it. I was at my office in North Mississauga earlier today, and just assumed it was the wind blowing down from pastures in Brampton or something. But I had no clue it was over the entire GTA.

That's pretty strange.

Actually...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/11/08/toronto-acton-sulphur-plant-explosion.html

But again, I haven't smelled shit in Milton over the past day and a half.

edit: lmao, that's right around the corner from where I lived for three years.

(yes, I lived in Acton. Please don't hold it against me.)

All I know about Acton is that The Old Hide House is worth the drive to Acton

And I don't know if this is geographically possible but maybe the wind blew the smell towards the GTA and not towards Milton, Is Milton north or south of acton?

Edit - I google mapped it, perhaps the smell was blown East towards Brampton/Sauga/Toronto/Vaughan and not south to Milton

Rinoa

According to a friend, it was due to farmers putting poop everywhere in Toronto before the winter for plants/etc.

Don't know what it was, I kept thinking it was horse cops pooping since I was on king street, but then it was at dufferin and eglinton later... so probably that sulfurs.

Once upon a time, they had really decent Italian food in the mid-range prices.

Since they started changing their menu, it's started to taste like frozen/stock prepared stuff with some fresh ingredients mixed in to try to cover it up. Last time I was there, it was only because it was the only thing my dining companions could think of that would have gluten free options (plural).

Last time I went was somewhere between 1999-2001, brought a large group of USA friends from Squaregamer.com to the King location due to inability to decide on place (similar reason!) and they enjoyed it. It was def alright back then, went quite regularly. 2003 onwards I stopped.

Prax

Woah. I smelled it too. I was around the Superstore on Weston Rd. and didn't knwo id soem dog must have pooped nearby or something. What an.. interesting phenomenon.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
By the way, WiiU kiosks started appearing in Toronto. There was one at the EBGames in Eaton's Centre

Two across the street at the EBgames on Yonge now. It's a good chance to check out the Game Pad if you're interested, but be aware the only playable demo is Rayman (as is the case across all NA demo units).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
New peeve of mine.

Why do fucking Torontnians step into the subway and stop and the doorway or walk slowly down the centre

Honestly. There are people behind you trying to fucking get on and not have to hold the door open.

Door opens and I'm waiting to get in. About 9 people get in and Mr stoner looking fuckface saunters in and stands at the doorway holding onto the side with one hand so I have to squeeze by him with my wife behind me even though there was tons of space.

Seemed like it's happening more often lately. If you're going to stand there step the fuck aside so people can get on or move in!

New peeve of mine.

Why do fucking Torontnians step into the subway and stop and the doorway or walk slowly down the centre

Honestly. There are people behind you trying to fucking get on and not have to hold the door open.

Door opens and I'm waiting to get in. About 9 people get in and Mr stoner looking fuckface saunters in and stands at the doorway holding onto the side with one hand so I have to squeeze by him with my wife behind me even though there was tons of space.

Seemed like it's happening more often lately. If you're going to stand there step the fuck aside so people can get on or move in!

Selfish people gonna selfish

Top Bottom