• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Presco

My wife and I decided we're getting season tickets for the Jays. I am unbelievably excited for next year but apprehensive at the same time. On paper they look so good so the ramifications of them not performing well will be much larger now. They have gone from middle of the pack to arguably the best lineup in the AL, depending on where Hamilton signs. They have the most speed, the most power, and a top 3 starting staff provided Romero returns to form. But you don't need to look further than the Red Sox of the last few years to know how badly things can go for a supposedly great team.

All that said, management has put down some serious money so I will reciprocate.

thabiz

Yeah.

Shop co-owner Omar Mahrouk told her his Muslim faith prohibits him from touching a woman who is not a member of his family. All the other barbers said the same thing.

Dont really see the problem here.

Their shop, their rules.

daemonic

Banned
So I'm going to the Caribbean on vacation in a few days and just realized I don't have much summer wear or gear for the beach and traveling around. Are there any stores in the city that still sell summer apparel at this time of year? Everything is seasonal right now.. I've tried Winners but with little success.

Quick

Banned
So I'm going to the Caribbean on vacation in a few days and just realized I don't have much summer wear or gear for the beach and traveling around. Are there any stores in the city that still sell summer apparel at this time of year? Everything is seasonal right now.. I've tried Winners but with little success.

Old Navy clearance area, I'd reckon.

thabiz

Eh, I don't think he really has to be at the trial, they might get more done without him

Judge John Macdonald pressed for details, since extending into next week will affect other trials.

“Why can’t we sit tomorrow afternoon?” Macdonald asked. “I’m able to make accommodations if accommodations are necessary. Why can’t we sit tomorrow?”

Ford’s lawyer, Gavin Tighe, simply said the mayor was unavailable.

Judge John Macdonald pressed for details, since extending into next week will affect other trials.

“Why can’t we sit tomorrow afternoon?” Macdonald asked. “I’m able to make accommodations if accommodations are necessary. Why can’t we sit tomorrow?”

Oh, let his lawyers speak on his behalf and then find him guilty of wasting everyone's time

thabiz

Just go teach high school football. It's clearly what you would rather be doing.

Ford was in court Wednesday morning, but left after the lunch break. He arrived at a Don Bosco practice around 4:45 p.m., long after the 3 p.m. start. Five other coaches had been running the drills.

Seriously? What the fuck was he doing for almost 5 hours.

Sober

Agreed. She wants a mens haircut? There are hundreds of other non muslim barber shops she can go to.
Yeah, that literally makes no sense. I get that maybe not all the barbers might not be able to cut a woman's hair into a man's cut, but she seems to making it out like it's some matter of gender or something.

Do they have those unisex barbershops anywhere downtown? I know there a bunch up around Steeles and north of that. If there were she should've just gone to one of those, might have better luck there.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I got back from Dominican republic recently. Bring lots since you may sweat a lot...and bring mosquito repellent...fuckers got themselves some Chinese food. :(

thabiz

Yeah, that literally makes no sense. I get that maybe not all the barbers might not be able to cut a woman's hair into a man's cut, but she seems to making it out like it's some matter of gender or something.

Do they have those unisex barbershops anywhere downtown? I know there a bunch up around Steeles and north of that. If there were she should've just gone to one of those, might have better luck there.

The funniest thing is that there are two barbers right around the corner. One on Univeristy, and one on Yonge.

Rinoa

What if she was transgendered?

I passed by that place a few weeks ago, no signs indicating anything muslim. I thought it was a regular place that takes anyone.

G17

Shahrukh Khan is a Muslim Bollywood star who "cuddles" with and kisses his co-stars.. I guess like any religion there are people who are very conservative and people who are very liberal.

Roto13

What if she was transgendered?

I passed by that place a few weeks ago, no signs indicating anything muslim. I thought it was a regular place that takes anyone.

It's not a Muslim barber shop, it's a barber shop that happens to be owned and staffed by Muslims.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
News sites just shouldn't have comments. There's no benefit to having them there. They don't do anything aside from giving stupid people a place to voice their stupid opinions.

That's exactly what she's doing. She went to an iconic men's barbershop for whatever reason, they refused her business because she was female and the barber was Muslim, and now she's taking them to the tribunal less because of THIS barber and more because she thinks her right not to be discriminated based on gender should trump the barber's freedom of religion.

I disagree with her method - this barber is going to have to pay all of his legal bills with little to no recourse, regardless of what happens, even though this isn't *really* about *him* specifically - but the argument is an interesting one.

Rinoa

The interesting question for now is "when does discriminating customers become ok?"

Discrimination is never ok in this country to my knowledge. If a shop owner wouldn't service people of a certain race or skin colour due to religion, I don't think having a 'right to personal faith' would work as defense.

That's why I dismiss religion as a reason.

Boogie

Oh, we can do that? I'm going to try that line for my next time in court, see how well that goes over with the judge. :p

Although, I've heard judges say similar things when they want to end court earlier on a Friday afternoon. ;)

Judge: "I'm ending court at 4pm"
Defence: "Why, your honour? I believe I could have my questioning wrapped up by 4:20pm"
Judge: "Are you questioning my personal reasons?"
Defence: (confused) "err...no?"
Judge: "Good, because that is why I am ending court early, for personal reasons."
Defence: "ok"

Seriously? What the fuck was he doing for almost 5 hours.

What, at court? Court is a loooooooooot of waiting around, dude.

Quick

Banned
News sites just shouldn't have comments. There's no benefit to having them there. They don't do anything aside from giving stupid people a place to voice their stupid opinions.

No kidding, man.

And they seem to be the only people populating news sites.

Boogie

I guess you didnt read the quote i posted to go along with that statement.

I did, but misinterpreted your comment on it. My bad.

Still, it's not quite five hours. Most courts break for lunch at 1pm, and resume at 2:15. So, conceivably, when it says the mayor "left after the lunch break", it could mean he didn't leave until 2:15.

Quick

Banned
The interesting question for now is "when does discriminating customers become ok?"

Discrimination is never ok in this country to my knowledge. If a shop owner wouldn't service people of a certain race or skin colour due to religion, I don't think having a 'right to personal faith' would work as defense.

I don't know what to think of it, to be honest. Both sides have their argument.

You can't simply discount religion, as much as that's the popular opinion on GAF.

Roto13

I don't know what to think of it, to be honest. Both sides have their argument.

You can't simply discount religion, as much as that's the popular opinion on GAF.

Yes, the barber's argument is that he's a Muslim so he should be able to both practice his religion and be a barber and one shouldn't preclude the other, and her argument is that she wants to get a bad haircut at that specific place and nowhere else. Also attention.

Sober

Common sense should apply here and the woman should be ridiculed for trying to pull this off. I don't really see how it's a matter of competing values. If the barber was being rude and calling her names and trying to get her to leave then sure. I'm certain that wasn't the case though.

It's not like the barber was refusing because she was a woman, at least technically not. He can only touch women in his family because he is Muslim. Fair enough, it should've just ended there and McGregor should've just maybe apologized (simply from being Canadian, right?) and went elsewhere, learning something new. I mean, I doubt any of the barbers were even expecting to have to service any woman for haircuts like it says at the end of the article.

Quick

Banned
Yes, the barber's argument is that he's a Muslim so he should be able to both practice his religion and be a barber and one shouldn't preclude the other, and her argument is that she wants to get a bad haircut at that specific place and nowhere else. Also attention.

Haha, well played.

It's not like the barber was refusing because she was a woman, at least technically not. He can only touch women in his family because he is Muslim. Fair enough, it should've just ended there and McGregor should've just maybe apologized (simply from being Canadian, right?) and went elsewhere, learning something new. I mean, I doubt any of the barbers were even expecting to have to service any woman for haircuts like it says at the end of the article.

That's funny, I don't think he would have refused her had she been male...

And what is this, she should have apologized for seeking to buy the hairstyling services of a barbershop? Because she's Canadian and that's what we do?

smh.

thabiz

It's beyond ludicrous that she has taken this as far as she has. You didnt get a HAIRCUT. Move the fuck on. It's not like they spit on her and kicked her out. They explained why, that should have been enough. Turn around and go somewhere else.

It blows my mind that people think they are so damn important in the grand scheme of things. It's a haircut. Give them a bad review on yelp or something.

scogoth

That's funny, I don't think he would have refused her had she been male...

And what is this, she should have apologized for seeking to buy the hairstyling services of a barbershop? Because she's Canadian and that's what we do?

Well yeah, he's not allowed to touch females. If she he were male then its not against the barber's religion. And yes that is what Canadians do, we respect other cultures and religions not go on a crusade to change Islam because he's a barber.

Roto13

Well yeah, he's not allowed to touch females. If she he were male then its not against his religion. And yes that is what Canadians do, we respect other cultures and religions not go on a crusade to change Islam because he's a barber.

Mosaic, bitches

I remember when my wife and I were turned away from a Vietnamese karaoke bar for being white. It kind of bugged me since I was being discriminated against but would I waste even 5 minutes of my life to complain to the authorities about it? No way, we just went to another bar! There are lots of barbershops too just like there are lots of bars.

Quick

Banned
I remember when my wife and I were turned away from a Vietnamese karaoke bar for being white. It kind of bugged me since I was being discriminated against but would I waste even 5 minutes of my life to complain to the authorities about it? No way, we just went to another bar! There are lots of barbershops too just like there are lots of bars.

Wow, really? That's insane.

Did they straight up tell you "because you're white," or was it veiled in some poor excuse?

Roto13

Well that's just plain racism.

Wow, really? That's insane.

Did they straight up tell you "because you're white," or was it veiled in some poor excuse?

They said it was a "private party" after glancing around for a few seconds trying to figure out what to say. but I know damn well it wasn't because I lived right above that stupid place and it was business as usual. I wonder if they even realized I lived in the apartment above?

Either way, I still wouldn't waste any time reporting it. It's just not worth the trouble or time. There are other bars.

Top Bottom