• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

I appreciate everyones replies, and will check out said companies.

I've heard the Public Transportation is not great, but how mediocre in reality compared to other cities? My girlfriend does not currently have a car, so she relies on buses and the occasional cab here and there, but is currently saving up for one. Do the lines run around the outskirts of the city and beyond if we didn't live in a downtown area? Can you get to everywhere within reason?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I've heard the Public Transportation is not great, but how mediocre in reality compared to other cities? My girlfriend does not currently have a car, so she relies on buses and the occasional cab here and there, but is currently saving up for one. Do the lines run around the outskirts of the city and beyond if we didn't live in a downtown area? Can you get to everywhere within reason?

You won't find a bigger opponent of the TTC than me.

It'll get you where you need to go for a price.

When it does run properly, it's well run. However, live here long enough and you'll find buses leapfrogging each other. Drivers getting off in the middle of a stop to go to the store. Streetcars constantly 'short turning'. Stops that make no logical fucking sense and can be half a block apart. Strikes by the union at most (every?) labour negotiations. Constant fair hikes.

I understand that they get very little funding from the Ontario shitty government, but fuck me if they aren't extremely mismanaged. You want gravy? Oh, I'm sure there's some to be found there.

You'll get everywhere you want to go just fine. It's just not as easy/smooth as it should be sometimes or a lot of the time depending on your own personal experience. But as for being able to get to where you want to go, you can manage.

Stop thinking so much, just come to CANADA and become ONE OF US. ONE OF US. Sure this is your life we're talking about. But take my word for it.

One reason why we've been wanting to escape the US is due to the extreme racism we've witnessed and dealt with at times (we live in western PA). I'm sure anyone who keeps up with the US news and political scene realizes how open and bad it has gotten. I'm white, girlfriend is black, which makes being here even more difficult due to social stigma against interracial couples.

That is really too bad that you have to deal with that. In Toronto, I can't go five minutes without seeing an interracial couple. I am white but I didn't even date a white girl until my 4th girlfriend. No one would even give you a second glance here for something like that.

However, I thought certain parts of the US would be like that too. Like I saw interracial couples in NYC (my wife is from there).

Oh, that reminds me, I gotta get ready.. I'm flying to New York today for a couple days and then off to Massachusetts for American Thanksgiving. (one of the benefits of having an American wife is eating two Thanksgiving dinners a month apart)

edit: also if this gets past the idea stage and you really do want to move here, feel free to send me a private message and I can tell you the things my wife did when she moved here from New York (she is a permanent resident now and will be getting citizenship in just over a year) - also EvilMario moved here from the US as well and he is a Canadian Citizen now

Hieberrr

Hey Toronto-GAF, I hope somebody can give me some insight into your city.

I currently live in the US with my girlfriend, and we have been for the past year + planning to move out of the country. CA is a top pick, amongst a couple others, Toronto being #1. One reason why we've been wanting to escape the US is due to the extreme racism we've witnessed and dealt with at times (we live in western PA). I'm sure anyone who keeps up with the US news and political scene realizes how open and bad it has gotten. I'm white, girlfriend is black, which makes being here even more difficult due to social stigma against interracial couples.

I realize that escaping this sort of thing is impossible and that it can be prevalent everywhere, which is something everyone has to come to terms with, however we just don't want to be in a place where it's increasingly rampant. We considered Toronto due to it's diversity and how close it is to NYC and family and similarities to the US. We're currently stuck in a small city and we both came from places that were much larger and more liberal, so we'd like to get back to that, along with leaving the US due to other reasons.

If anyone has any input about this reasoning I'd like to hear it.

Also, I read the OP and went through some links, however if anyone knows any specific companies that would be recommended to apply to, throw some out there. I currently work in sales in the wireless industry (Verizon / AT&T etc.) and have management experience.

From what I've seen (been living here for 13 years) no one really cares about what race you date or marry. You won't find people giving you weird looks or verbally abusing you because of it. People don't see it as an issue and, more importantly, they know it's not part of their business. We are a nice people :) plus as everyone has mentioned before, Toronto is multicultural. I see people of all colours, religion, ehtnic backgrounds you name it, when I take the bus, go to school, walk around my neighbourhood, etc...

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
But of course let's not make Toronto out as some utopia that lacks any racism what so ever. Obviously it's still here (as it is everywhere in the world) but as everyone here is saying it doesn't seem to come up much.

I am a black male living in Thornhill for most of my life and I can only think of 1 or 2 occasions I've ever come across any sort of racism.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey Toronto-GAF, I hope somebody can give me some insight into your city.

I currently live in the US with my girlfriend, and we have been for the past year + planning to move out of the country. CA is a top pick, amongst a couple others, Toronto being #1. One reason why we've been wanting to escape the US is due to the extreme racism we've witnessed and dealt with at times (we live in western PA). I'm sure anyone who keeps up with the US news and political scene realizes how open and bad it has gotten. I'm white, girlfriend is black, which makes being here even more difficult due to social stigma against interracial couples.

I realize that escaping this sort of thing is impossible and that it can be prevalent everywhere, which is something everyone has to come to terms with, however we just don't want to be in a place where it's increasingly rampant. We considered Toronto due to it's diversity and how close it is to NYC and family and similarities to the US. We're currently stuck in a small city and we both came from places that were much larger and more liberal, so we'd like to get back to that, along with leaving the US due to other reasons.

If anyone has any input about this reasoning I'd like to hear it.

Also, I read the OP and went through some links, however if anyone knows any specific companies that would be recommended to apply to, throw some out there. I currently work in sales in the wireless industry (Verizon / AT&T etc.) and have management experience.

As others have said, there's really no issues being an interracial couple in Toronto. My wife and I never receive any odd looks and have never been openly discriminated against to the best of our knowledge.

On the issue of moving here. You're not going to be able to just come and find a job unless you work illegally under the table (don't do this, or you will not be allowed back in if caught). A company offering you a position is a lot of work for them (and they have to prove that there's no one else in Canada that can do the job), and generally you have to be a skilled worker in an industry that badly needs you. I guess the other option is for your current employer in the States to station you up here. If you think you might qualify though, check out this section of the CIC site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

Your other option (aside from buying your own ticket, ie: Investors, Entrepreneurs and Self-Employed Persons) is to be sponsored by a family member. But it's unlikely you'll qualify, given your spouse is also American and you're not under the age of 18 where an aunt, or uncle living in Canada could sponsor you. You can still check out that section though and see your options: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp

Really, immigrating without sponsorship is quite tough. Coming from the States, I understand some of your feelings wanting to 'escape' up to Canada, but it might not be that easy for you. Considering a move to a more liberal area of the US (northwest is great) might be a better option.

As others have said, there's really no issues being an interracial couple in Toronto. My wife and I never receive any odd looks and have never been openly discriminated against to the best of our knowledge.

On the issue of moving here. You're not going to be able to just come and find a job unless you work illegally under the table (don't do this, or you will not be allowed back in if caught). A company offering you a position is a lot of work for them (and they have to prove that there's no one else in Canada that can do the job), and generally you have to be a skilled worker in an industry that badly needs you. I guess the other option is for your current employer in the States to station you up here. If you think you might qualify though, check out this section of the CIC site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

Your other option (aside from buying your own ticket, ie: Investors, Entrepreneurs and Self-Employed Persons) is to be sponsored by a family member. But it's unlikely you'll qualify, given your spouse is also American and you're not under the age of 18 where an aunt, or uncle living in Canada could sponsor you. You can still check out that section though and see your options: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp

Really, immigrating without sponsorship is quite tough. Coming from the States, I understand some of your feelings wanting to 'escape' up to Canada, but it might not be that easy for you. Considering a move to a more liberal area of the US (northwest is great) might be a better option.

Thanks for the input / advice. It's something that I believe we'll follow-through with and try to accomplish to completion, but I'll keep these thoughts in mind and be realistic. I have bookmarked the help sites for future reference.

It's nice to hear you and your wife have not had any issues. Almost every restaurant me and my SO visit these days becomes an episode of me almost getting into it with someone. Actually, that happened while walking down a main street / shopping center the other day.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Thanks for the input / advice. It's something that I believe we'll follow-through with and try to accomplish to completion, but I'll keep these thoughts in mind and be realistic. I have bookmarked the help sites for future reference.

It's nice to hear you and your wife have not had any issues. Almost every restaurant me and my SO visit these days becomes an episode of me almost getting into it with someone. Actually, that happened while walking down a main street / shopping center the other day.

That sounds awful, get out asap and come here!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Transit issues are more with upgrading infrastructure (need for accessible stations, automating parts of the system, and management / union stranglehold) than how the system actually functions. Certain streetcar lines have delays at peak hours, and buses can back up.

All that said, the transit (TTC) is a decent system and you can live far outside the core and still have access to a frequent bus, streetcar, or subway. It's definitely not a reason to avoid moving here. By comparison, there are few US systems that function better, experience less delays, or are cheap anymore.

Subway line is limited to two primary lines (with two smaller extensions outside the core), but it covers a good distance. Streetcars also run east-west on many major city streets.. from one end of the city to the other, and it's primarily how I get around. Buses are available within a few minutes walking of almost every street, and for the most part, they're easy to catch. Using NextBus to track the buses and streetcars on less busy routes / days definitely helps.

I live in the city, about 6km / 4mi outside of the core, and get around with ease with a metropass. Streetcar less than two minutes outside my building (runs 24 hours a day), bus to the subway at my door, or walk up to the station in less than twenty.

thabiz

You joke, but it seriously seems like the states are regressing. I have a friend that lives in South Carolina, and he hears and sees this shit daily. Mindblowing. If you said these things up here, the majority of the time, you would get your ass beat.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
But of course let's not make Toronto out as some utopia that lacks any racism what so ever. Obviously it's still here (as it is everywhere in the world) but as everyone here is saying it doesn't seem to come up much.

I am a black male living in Thornhill for most of my life and I can only think of 1 or 2 occasions I've ever come across any sort of racism.

Cause you be a cool black cat, cap'n!

Hieberrr

You joke, but it seriously seems like the states are regressing. I have a friend that lives in South Carolina, and he hears and sees this shit daily. Mindblowing. If you said these things up here, the majority of the time, you would get your ass beat.

Dr.Acula

Banned
FYI the TTC can't strike anymore b/c Ford had Ontario declare it an essential service.

And the transit system is fine, people just love to complain about it. The fleet is modern and clean esp. compared to Boston/England/France/Spain (systems I've used). The transfer system isn't great, and it's expensive, but if you get a metropass it's pretty accessable.

Many stops now have codes that you can text to find out when the next bus arrives, it's calculated in real time based on GPS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone know about this? (Except replace tomorrow with today)

http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/N...g-midnight-launches-for-the-Wii-U/td-p/391008

This is the official word. I haven't heard of a single store doing a midnight launch. It's where I preordered too, figuring Nintendo always uses the Y&D Futureshop as their flagship store for launches in Canada. Alas. And they don't even open tomorrow until 11am. Argrhr.

edit: Not sure about the EBgames / Gamestops in the area. Call around and make sure. Some places that were doing midnight launches cancelled reportedly due to 'lack of interest'. Of course if there is an event going on at the square let me know and I will be down there in half an hour. :p

EM says Future Shop says they don't have enough systems that aren't pre-ordered to make a midnight launch worthwhile.

But EM is a known liar so who knows for sure?

Roto is Kuro alt account confirmed. Or is that the other way around?

I have never, ever noticed anybody treating my wife and I differently because of our colors. Get out of your city.

jokkir

http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/N...g-midnight-launches-for-the-Wii-U/td-p/391008

This is the official word. I haven't heard of a single store doing a midnight launch. It's where I preordered too, figuring Nintendo always uses the Y&D Futureshop as their flagship store for launches in Canada. Alas. And they don't even open tomorrow until 11am. Argrhr.

edit: Not sure about the EBgames / Gamestops in the area. Call around and make sure. Some places that were doing midnight launches cancelled reportedly due to 'lack of interest'. Of course if there is an event going on at the square let me know and I will be down there in half an hour. :p

Ah, saw that with a few Google searches but didn't know if it included Yonge and Dundas. And yeah, that low stock thing is why I'm asking. I mean, they had one for 3DS so I guessed they should have one for WiiU, right?

Who wants to travel to Yonge and Dundas to check if they have a launch party or not? :D

thabiz

Ah, saw that with a few Google searches but didn't know if it included Yonge and Dundas. And yeah, that low stock thing is why I'm asking. I mean, they had one for 3DS so I guessed they should have one for WiiU, right?

Who wants to travel to Yonge and Dundas to check if they have a launch party or not? :D

Nothing going on. Just checked with the binoculars. There was a grey cup thing this afternoon.

Transits okay, its like EvilMario said. I live about 30km's(30 minute car ride) from the core and don't have access/own a car. A TTC bus will drive by every 10 minutes and if I need to get to the core it costs $3 and an hour commute by the bus/subway

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Aw man. I guess i'll just stay home tonight then and be productive (lol)

Futureshop has made a point in saying they do have extra stock on top of preorders, because they want people to be able to walk-in and buy it. You'll probably have to get there pretty early in the morning though (or now) if you want one though. Not if any of the Gamestop / EBgames doing midnight launches have extra stock.. I know the one across from Eaton Centre has a waiting list for their Wii Us.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wait hold up, did Wind just reduce it's 1GB data on the $25 to 100 MB? O__O I swear it was $1GB before.

Not sure. I'm on a $29 unlimited talk / text / data promo from the summer. Their $25 deal looks very unattractive to me.

edit: Just a heads up, SDM at 125 Queensway has two Basic (White) Wii Us in for midnight launch tonight. Doesn't look like any sort of lineup.

Hieberrr

Not sure. I'm on a $29 unlimited talk / text / data promo from the summer. Their $25 deal looks very unattractive to me.

Me too :(
I wanted that $29 dollar plan so badly, but never got a compatible phone. My Nexus 4 is coming on Tuesday and I wanted to make the switch!

I really want it to come back!!!

EDIT: I'm assuming that if I sign on (no contract), I can go month-to-month until the $29 promo comes back and then sign on to that, right?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Went to a new bacon sandvich place in leslieville called rahsers.

Not bad ar all though a bit pricey for a peameal bacon sandvich. The ones at st lawrence market are better. Thoughthese got got a lot of business juding fro the line up

whitehawk

Banned
There's a PSAll-Stars tournament tomorrow at EB. Anyone else going?

GNq4R.png

Anth0ny

So I just got back from Future Shop.

Yeah.

I wish the guy on the phone today would have told me they weren't going to open the doors for people camping for Wii U. You know, instead of saying "yes, we will open the doors for people camping for Wii U".

No way I'm freezing my nuts off for that thing. So before I went home, I checked out some other locations around Weston and HWY 7. Surely some lines have been formed by now. This was at midnight.

Future Shop: Noone.
Wal Mart: Noone.
Toys R Us: Noone.
Best Buy: Noone.
EB Games: Noone.
EB Games Vaughan Mills: Noone.

Yeah. Compare this to the Wii launch in 2006. I went to Best Buy at 11PM and was 11th in line. By 3AM, the line was full and we were sending people away. Apparently the Toys R Us and EB Games nearby were totally packed as well.

How is this thing sold out again? Where are the crazy soccer moms?

I think I'll just be picking up my pre-ordered console at 8AM tomorrow. Save the campout for the new Xbox next year ;)

So I just got back from Future Shop.

Yeah.

I wish the guy on the phone today would have told me they weren't going to open the doors for people camping for Wii U. You know, instead of saying "yes, we will open the doors for people camping for Wii U".

No way I'm freezing my nuts off for that thing. So before I went home, I checked out some other locations around Weston and HWY 7. Surely some lines have been formed by now. This was at midnight.

Future Shop: Noone.
Wal Mart: Noone.
Toys R Us: Noone.
Best Buy: Noone.
EB Games: Noone.
EB Games Vaughan Mills: Noone.

Yeah. Compare this to the Wii launch in 2006. I went to Best Buy at 11PM and was 11th in line. By 3AM, the line was full and we were sending people away. Apparently the Toys R Us and EB Games nearby were totally packed as well.

How is this thing sold out again? Where are the crazy soccer moms?

I think I'll just be picking up my pre-ordered console at 8AM tomorrow. Save the campout for the new Xbox next year ;)

People who want it have it pre-ordered and the soccer moms don't know what it is yet?

Anth0ny

Overconfidence?

I thought they would have learned their lesson after 3DS, which was clearly overconfidence on their part.

720 and PS4 launches are going to be mental next year, I can feel it. Marketing up the ass, guaranteed. Yonge and Dundas is going to be a fucking jam.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Cross-posting this from the Canadian Gaming Deals thread.

If someone in Toronto isn't able to get a Deluxe Wii U and doesn't mind waiting a couple of days then you can have my extra one for what I'm paying ($395.49) once I get it. Kabuki Waq was interested but backed out because he got one this morning. Like I said before, I'm currently working at a site at Square One and live in Scarborough so meeting me along the 401 would be great. Even at one of the malls (Square One, Yorkdale, Fairview, Scarborough Town Centre) would be fine. Send me a PM.

EDIT: Pending to sweetvar26 if he's not able to find one himself. Feel free to get in line behind him in case he does find one himself.

Top Bottom