• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

whitehawk

Banned
Not sure if it belongs in here, but I may as well ask.

I'm looking to get a new job, and what I would love to do is work for Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony and represent products. For example I was at the Halo 4 launch event recently, and there were people running gaming tournaments, laser tag games, taking pictures etc. Or when the 3DS launch Nintendo had demo stations at yonge and dundas where people were running demo units and explaining the system to people. Or more recently, the Wii U tour.

Does anyone have any experience doing these types of jobs? I've tried looking to see if any of them are listing jobs on their websites, but nothing. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Well yeah, he's not allowed to touch females. If she he were male then its not against the barber's religion. And yes that is what Canadians do, we respect other cultures and religions not go on a crusade to change Islam because he's a barber.

Crusading against Islam, or standing up for her right not to be discriminated against based on her gender?

There's a difference between "respecting other cultures" and "apologizing for doing nothing wrong" (by asking for a haircut).

jokkir

Not sure if it belongs in here, but I may as well ask.

I'm looking to get a new job, and what I would love to do is work for Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony and represent products. For example I was at the Halo 4 launch event recently, and there were people running gaming tournaments, laser tag games, taking pictures etc. Or when the 3DS launch Nintendo had demo stations at yonge and dundas where people were running demo units and explaining the system to people. Or more recently, the Wii U tour.

Does anyone have any experience doing these types of jobs? I've tried looking to see if any of them are listing jobs on their websites, but nothing. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I talked to one of them who was going home from the Sony event at exhibition place last year.

From what I remember, they are not directly associated with the company they're doing the event for. So Sony just hired external workers for the event. A company usually hires their company and they handle all the man power needed for that event so people who are playing the games, watching people play the games and so on are them.

Although, this might not be the same for all events and I forgot what the company name was -__-.

I want to do this too actually lol.

oFNpc.jpg

source

I wish the photographers would turn down the brightness on these photos... oh well. It's still a great angle and worth seeing.

Rinoa

They used to have outsourced PR companies for games like Highroad. The more recent events are run by another company that mostly works with Splash Modelling.

whitehawk

Banned
I talked to one of them who was going home from the Sony event at exhibition place last year.

From what I remember, they are not directly associated with the company they're doing the event for. So Sony just hired external workers for the event. A company usually hires their company and they handle all the man power needed for that event so people who are playing the games, watching people play the games and so on are them.

Although, this might not be the same for all events and I forgot what the company name was -__-.

I want to do this too actually lol.
Yeah I figured it might be something like this. However I guess that means there's no guarantee you would be doing video game events either, you could be hired for other stuff.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah I figured it might be something like this. However I guess that means there's no guarantee you would be doing video game events either, you could be hired for other stuff.

Yeah, I talked with an ad company that was doing PR events for the Wii launch back in 2006. You wouldn't just be doing game stuff. They'd move on to other products after their Nintendo contract was up like cellphones or perfume or whatever.

thabiz

The signing of Melky Cabrera has put me over the top. I'm looking at going to a Jays game often next summer.

Disgusting. I cant believe they signed him. Anything to win i guess.

Great message Rogers is sending the youth in TO. If you cheat, you will still get millions.

jl4855

Great message Rogers is sending the youth in TO. If you cheat, you will still get millions.

he would have gotten more after winter meetings :)

maybe the message is one of forgiveness!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The signing of Melky Cabrera has put me over the top. I'm looking at going to a Jays game often next summer.

I'll see you there.

I usually go to 10-15 a year. It could potentially double.

The last time I went to over 30 games was many years ago when my buddy's girlfriend worked in the dancepack so we got free tickets along the foul line for every game we wanted to go to.

Brinbe

Def gonna need to get that Jays fan pass for this coming season... hope I don't miss out. Apparently they'll go on sale in January.

Def gonna need to get that Jays fan pass for this coming season... hope I don't miss out. Apparently they'll go on sale in January.

Someone on RFD called the Jays who said that people who got the pass last year get a chance to renew and then they'll see if they have any left =/

Quick

Banned

No kidding. Rogers finally realizes that they need to spend money to be successful.

I'd like to think that he learned his lesson now, and this is a second chance of sorts. We'll see how it all works out next year.

Also, you can change contract-bound policies on a whim without notification, and then call your customers stupid liars when they call you on it.

Though that's got little to do with baseball.

whitehawk

Banned
Yeah, I talked with an ad company that was doing PR events for the Wii launch back in 2006. You wouldn't just be doing game stuff. They'd move on to other products after their Nintendo contract was up like cellphones or perfume or whatever.
Yeah that's what I figured. Kind of odd, you would think they would specifically want people who are passionate about gaming. Still, I'm sick of my job. Anything else would be better right now.

thabiz

Also, you can change contract-bound policies on a whim without notification, and then call your customers stupid liars when they call you on it.

Though that's got little to do with baseball.

Simple solution. Dont give them your business. I jumped ship years ago.

Rinoa

Thanks for the link! I think I might apply. Even if it's not always gaming stuff, seems like it could be fun.

No problem, the guy in charge of the PS events from that company was very nice. Everyone seems happy working with them even if just part time.

Returners

How is driving a rear wheel drive car in Toronto during the winter?

I'm looking at cars right now and my parents are telling me 4WD is a must, but I want a RWD car.

Boogie

I'm looking at cars right now and my parents are telling me 4WD is a must, but I want a RWD car.

I have had a RWD V6 Genesis Coupe for over a year now, but I garaged it last winter, and will be doing the same again this year. I'm doing so more out of a desire to protect the longevity and value of the car, as opposed to being fearful of driving it in the winter. (because as anyone who knows me knows, there isn't a lot of fear in my driving style ;)

If you're going to drive a RWD car year-round, I would imagine winter tires are a must, and if you are a decent driver, I wouldn't imagine you'll have too many problems.

cube444

4WD is not a must. Winter tires in Toronto are a must on a RWD. I have 425 pounds of torque at the rear and it handles just fine.

Hey Toronto-GAF, I hope somebody can give me some insight into your city.

I currently live in the US with my girlfriend, and we have been for the past year + planning to move out of the country. CA is a top pick, amongst a couple others, Toronto being #1. One reason why we've been wanting to escape the US is due to the extreme racism we've witnessed and dealt with at times (we live in western PA). I'm sure anyone who keeps up with the US news and political scene realizes how open and bad it has gotten. I'm white, girlfriend is black, which makes being here even more difficult due to social stigma against interracial couples.

I realize that escaping this sort of thing is impossible and that it can be prevalent everywhere, which is something everyone has to come to terms with, however we just don't want to be in a place where it's increasingly rampant. We considered Toronto due to it's diversity and how close it is to NYC and family and similarities to the US. We're currently stuck in a small city and we both came from places that were much larger and more liberal, so we'd like to get back to that, along with leaving the US due to other reasons.

If anyone has any input about this reasoning I'd like to hear it.

Also, I read the OP and went through some links, however if anyone knows any specific companies that would be recommended to apply to, throw some out there. I currently work in sales in the wireless industry (Verizon / AT&T etc.) and have management experience.

Toronto aint that racist. Dumbasses are everywhere but a lot of canada is pretty much so multicultural to the point where the minorities are the majority. Asians galore in toronto. No one really cares. At least not in my experience or anyone I know.

If you have experience with Verizon/ATT then your best bet is Rogers/Bell/Telus/Virgin/Fido/Wind/Koodo.

Rinoa

In Toronto, so many people in my generation (X) and later are from mixed heritage or have mixed heritage relationships. We grew up not realizing that it's unusual. Most people, mainly those who are the age of majority, would never even notice when a couple is mixed because it's so typical in this city (can't say same for the suburbs tho, brampton and richmond hill lol).

When my USA friends with interracial relationships come over they're shocked by how nobody cares nor gives them any dirty looks, while I'm shocked that it even occurs where they're from.

Even the tv shows filming here have mixed leads.

As for companies, most require you to be able to legally work in the country before applying. I don't know your status though.

thabiz

You and your gf would have absolutely no issues here. Toronto is extremely tolerant and accepting. Diversity is the name of the game here. We have a little bit of everything. It really freaks me out when i go to another city and its not as diverse as here.

Besides that, we just fuckin rock.

Just dont become a leafs fan, or youre doomed to misery.

scogoth

Hey Toronto-GAF, I hope somebody can give me some insight into your city.

I currently live in the US with my girlfriend, and we have been for the past year + planning to move out of the country. CA is a top pick, amongst a couple others, Toronto being #1. One reason why we've been wanting to escape the US is due to the extreme racism we've witnessed and dealt with at times (we live in western PA). I'm sure anyone who keeps up with the US news and political scene realizes how open and bad it has gotten. I'm white, girlfriend is black, which makes being here even more difficult due to social stigma against interracial couples.

I realize that escaping this sort of thing is impossible and that it can be prevalent everywhere, which is something everyone has to come to terms with, however we just don't want to be in a place where it's increasingly rampant. We considered Toronto due to it's diversity and how close it is to NYC and family and similarities to the US. We're currently stuck in a small city and we both came from places that were much larger and more liberal, so we'd like to get back to that, along with leaving the US due to other reasons.

If anyone has any input about this reasoning I'd like to hear it.

Also, I read the OP and went through some links, however if anyone knows any specific companies that would be recommended to apply to, throw some out there. I currently work in sales in the wireless industry (Verizon / AT&T etc.) and have management experience.

Anecdotal experience but I haven't seen any racism towards interracial couples. I'm white and my girlfriend is Chinese and I have never experienced and racism because of that ( I do know of some Chinese parents that wouldn't like a white boyfriend but I think any father doesn't like his daughter dating period).

Lived here all my life in north Toronto and wouldn't change it for anything. My parents are from Vancouver, my sisters lives in London and my brother in Singapore but I having visited a lot of cities around the world Toronto is still the best to live in. We have immigrants from all over the world so you can any product, food or service you want. The arts community is quite active with many events around the year to go to, I'm a huge fan of TIFF and go every year. The downsides are our public transit is not as developed because of funding issues and lower population density than other cities, housing prices in the downtown core are absurd and condos are going up like mad and its cold sometimes.

For jobs in wireless the incumbents are Rogers and Bell (and their various subsidiaries) but we have had a lot of new start ups that are probably looking to hire. Take a look at Public mobile, Wind Mobile and Mobilicty as well as Rogers/Fido, Telus/Koodo and Bell.

Quick

Banned
Toronto's a cool place. Feel free to move here. We don't bite.

Can't avoid racism, but you can bet that Torontonians don't usually let that fly. It's such a multicultural city that it's impossible not to see interracial couples.

This is right up EvilMario's alley, considering he moved here from the US. I'd like to hear what he thinks.

Most people in Toronto aren't racist, except for the black people.

Sometimes, this isn't even a joke.

Rinoa

so you can any product, food or service you want.

And cheap. And good.

This is why whenever I travel I get homesick, even if it's just to another city in canada. I can't get the food/services/products I want. Also you can live without a car, most cities not like that if you want to get everything you want.

Quick

Banned
And cheap. And good.

This is why whenever I travel I get homesick, even if it's just to another city in canada. I can't get the food/services/products I want. Also you can live without a car, most cities not like that if you want to get everything you want.

As much as we shit on the TTC in here, their service does allow people within the city to live without a car.

By extension, there's the GO trains and buses that also connect you to the TTC.

scogoth

And cheap. And good.

I should have a footnote

***except watercooling parts for computers. It's a bitch to get from Rochester with customs.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Most people in Toronto aren't racist, except for the black people.

Toronto's a cool place. Feel free to move here. We don't bite.

Can't avoid racism, but you can bet that Torontonians don't usually let that fly. It's such a multicultural city that it's impossible not to see interracial couples.

This is right up EvilMario's alley, considering he moved here from the US. I'd like to hear what he thinks.

Sometimes, this isn't even a joke.

I'm watching both of y'all!

With both of my eyes!

Oh and finally I can use this image:

negro-frowns.jpg

Top Bottom