• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Azih

added_time said:
They said I can keep my unlimited plan but they will keep raising prices... I'm seeing some nice faster speeds on Teksavvy Cable with a 300 gig limit that I never would go over anyway.
I'm getting really tempted to do the switch..

Do you have Teksavvy cable or DSL? Is it reliable?
I picked up a modem from ebay (you have to buy your own) and switched to Teksavvy cable about 4 months ago.

Loving it, loving it. The startup costs are high compared to the big operators but it's completely worth it.

On another note Miller should have run again or John Tory should have run in the last election. God Damn.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stet said:
Whoa. My Teksavvy DSL is like 1/10th that speed. How much in terms of setup fees did you pay switching from DSL to cable?

We ended up paying around $100~ total to switch over I believe, not including modem cost. And we went out and bought the best modem Teksavvy was supporting, the Motorola SB6120. It apparently handles much better (less packet loss, more steady speeds), so we decided we might as well go all out.

We've been very happy with it. My ping in games has been cut in half, and I can download games on Steam in minutes now where it would take hours before.

I receive 16-22mbps pretty steadily. Speed boost gives me 35-40mbps.

EvilMario said:
We originally had Teksavvy DSL, and then switched to cable. Since they're using most of the same infrastructure and 'last mile', the service is as reliable as Bell DSL, or Roger's Cable.

1509303955.png

Do it. The improvement is vast, and worth the extra $10~ you'll be paying.

Do you have the most expensive cable plan? I'm trying to decide which one to pick as well if I do make the switch

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
EvilMario said:
We ended up paying around $100~ total to switch over I believe, not including modem cost. And we went out and bought the best modem Teksavvy was supporting, the Motorola SB6120. It apparently handles much better (less packet loss, more steady speeds), so we decided we might as well go all out.

We've been very happy with it. My ping in games has been cut in half, and I can download games on Steam in minutes now where it would take hours before.

I got the cheapest modem :p.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kinitari said:
I got the cheapest modem :p.

DSL reports made the cheaper modem (but more easily available!) out to have a lot of issues, that was my main factor in buying it.

added_time said:
Do you have the most expensive cable plan? I'm trying to decide which one to pick as well if I do make the switch

We have 'Extreme' package, which is the 300gb cap. It's just under $50 per month for us after taxes, and the same speed as 'Extreme Pro'. We'd never go over 300gb, so paying for unlimited would be pointless.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't live in Toronto (London, as of this weekend) and I'm going to be using TekSavvy cable. I purchased the DCM425 modem through them... is it decent?

Kunohara

Entropia said:
I don't live in Toronto (London, as of this weekend) and I'm going to be using TekSavvy cable. I purchased the DCM425 modem through them... is it decent?

I have it. I have had no problems with it at all, and I'm a heavy downloader.

Edit: Fuck sorry, I have the 475, not 425. I just saw EvilMario's post, and it reminded me. Yeah, the 425 is a 2.0 DOCSIS and Rogers recently upped their speeds, and having a 3.0 DOCSIS (the 475) is good to have.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Entropia said:

You might be bottle necking your speed a bit, as the speeds might not be supported on a DOCSIS2.0, whereas the DCM475 will definitely. You'll probably get decent speeds still, but if you find the need for more speed, think about upgrading at some point.

Blackhead

Redarse
EvilMario said:

What's the deal with the Motorola SB6120 and Motorola SB6121? Is there some reason to get/avoid one or the other? They are being sold at the same price.

Greyface said:
What's the deal with the Motorola SB6120 and Motorola SB6121? Is there some reason to get/avoid one or the other? They are being sold at the same price.
if they are the same price then get the newer version, not sure of the exact difference.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Greyface said:

According to DSLreports, because I'm no expert, there's very little difference between the two models. Apparently the 6120 had a terrible firmware released for it, hampering its performance (so I'm glad I haven't updated), but other than that, not much of a difference.

It's really weird that Motorola won't let you roll back firmware. :/

Kunohara

Does modem firmware get updated automatically, or do you actually have to do it yourself? I'm always reading on dsl reports about rogers pushing a new firmware, so I'm just wondering.

sammich

Tek is awesome, but if you live in the west end(Etobicoke area), the scarlett POI.. dont get it. I normally would push teksavvy on anyone and everyone but right now it is utter shit. Past 7pm, you might as well whip out your 33.6 k baud modem and start surfing as its likely to get you faster speeds. Im not joking.

Check out dslreports for all the complaints about service recently especially in that area. When it worked it was bloody fantastic. Nothing compared. You cannot stream any video, forget about playing online, nothing. I think this "congestion" stops around 1 as after that things seem to be back to normal.

They say they know what the issue is and they are waiting on rogers to fix it. Its been over a month now, and i only recently started complaining. Sooooo watch out.

This is for their top of the line cable internet(extreme).

Kunohara said:
Does modem firmware get updated automatically, or do you actually have to do it yourself? I'm always reading on dsl reports about rogers pushing a new firmware, so I'm just wondering.
gotta do it yourself for any modem I've seen.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
sammich said:
Tek is awesome, but if you live in the west end(Etobicoke area), the scarlett POI.. dont get it. I normally would push teksavvy on anyone and everyone but right now it is utter shit. Past 7pm, you might as well whip out your 33.6 k baud modem and start surfing as its likely to get you faster speeds. Im not joking.

Check out dslreports for all the complaints about service recently especially in that area. When it worked it was bloody fantastic. Nothing compared. You cannot stream any video, forget about playing online, nothing. I think this "congestion" stops around 1 as after that things seem to be back to normal.

They say they know what the issue is and they are waiting on rogers to fix it. Its been over a month now, and i only recently started complaining. Sooooo watch out.

Technically, Roger's customers will be experiencing this too due to congestion on the Scralett POI during peak hours (right?). So unless you're avoiding cable internet as a whole, everyone in the area is stuck. TekSavvy has been pining Roger's about it for a month now, but I'm not sure Roger's gives a real shit.

Quick said:
Don't go to the NHL-GAF thread. I need you to keep your upbeat optimism.

I'll pop in from time to time. It's fun for me because I never get angry about sports so I can listen to other people blah-blahing without any stress on my mind.

I don't usually like to praise the architecture of a condo building but if this gets built like that rendering looks then it gets a BRAVO from me!

pico2g.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
added_time said:
I don't usually like to praise the architecture of a condo building but if this gets built like that rendering looks then it gets a BRAVO from me!

pico2g.jpg

What building is that? Looks fantastic and expensive as hell.

added_time said:

pico2g.jpg
I L-O-V-E the design of that building!

But NOOOOO! How are they even allowed to do something that tall in that area? Bad fucking precedent!

lunarworks said:
I L-O-V-E the design of that building!

But NOOOOO! How are they even allowed to do something that tall in that area? Bad fucking precedent!

Although the picture makes it appear to be built on Queen Street, it's actually built on Richmond Street but will just be easily visible from Queen.

The precedent has already been set dozens of times for tall buildings in the former club district (I'm not saying it was the right thing to do.. just that the precedent is already there)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
added_time said:
Although the picture makes it appear to be built on Queen Street, it's actually built on Richmond Street but will just be easily visible from Queen.

The precedent has already been set dozens of times for tall buildings in the former club district (I'm not saying it was the right thing to do.. just that the precedent is already there)

What's the name of the condo?

sammich

EvilMario said:
Technically, Roger's customers will be experiencing this too due to congestion on the Scralett POI during peak hours (right?). So unless you're avoiding cable internet as a whole, everyone in the area is stuck. TekSavvy has been pining Roger's about it for a month now, but I'm not sure Roger's gives a real shit.

They are saying its not congestion tho. Its something else. This is what the teksavvy dude gave me as a response:

Hi,

You're connected to the scarlet POI, at this point there's a known issue that we're working on with Rogers that is not capacity based. We have enough capacity it's a problem with how the capacity is managed.

There's no official ETA at the moment as it's one of those 'ASAP' sort of issues.

Regards,

Jason

So it may or may not be an issue with rogers clients, though i dont give a crap about them. Its weird that it happens at exactly the same time everyday. Either way, F rogers.

StevieP

Banned
Prax said:
I demand my Toronto Zoo to stay safe.

Is there any way to kick Ford out and reinstate the vehicle tax or something? :I

The Vehicle tax would more than double make up for the recent cuts, including the Children's Christmas fund thing, the cut library hours, and selling the Zoo. I don't know about you, but $60/year never really hurt me to own a car. Why... why??!!

And to all of you left-leaning GAF-Ontarians (which is probably most of you) I would probably have to suggest "strategic voting" in regards to Liberal vs Conservative, the way the polls are looking.

StevieP said:
And to all of you left-leaning GAF-Ontarians (which is probably most of you) I would probably have to suggest "strategic voting" in regards to Liberal vs Conservative, the way the polls are looking.

Way ahead of you... I'm voting Liberal but I'm guessing my riding is an NDP lock anyways

lunarworks said:
In that case it would be strategic to vote NDP.

It makes no difference in my riding. The PCs get around 10% here. It's only a race between NDP and Liberal.

However, I noticed that even though NDP beat the Liberals last time, it was only by a few thousand so I thought I may as well try to grab the Liberals another seat.

...and like I said the PC Party has no chance here.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Rinoa said:
Each condo that gets plopped in the downtown area makes my irrational fear of sinkholes grow...

Haha, a few weeks ago I was drunk downtown somewhere, and walked past a giant hole in the ground - condo building. The FIRST thing I thought of was Jumanji.

Also, they need to build more and more condos. It's getting even more expensive living anywhere near downtown, and I would like to (in 2-3 years) move out of Scarborough and closer to the city core.

sammich said:

I've been having the same issues for the last month or so. Word on the street that it should be all fixed by early next week.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Azih said:
With all these new units coming out the real estate bubble has to pop hard at SOME point, right?

That's the hope. Some people are projecting a 2014 bubble burst, but... who knows, people have been talking about a bubble burst for years.

Takao

Banned
Anyone know where I could score DVD copies of Tommy Wiseau's The Room, and the really bad Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins live action film? They're a birthday gift, which I'm leaving to the last moment to get ...

Kinitari said:
That's the hope. Some people are projecting a 2014 bubble burst, but... who knows, people have been talking about a bubble burst for years.

I used to think the bubble was far off from bursting... but their are rumours of some very large projects coming soon which make me think that your 2014 guess may not be too far off. I could use a real estate lull myself if I am ever to be able to afford anything.

Holmes

Here's a new poll from Leger Marketing for Sun Media.

Progressive Conservatives - 34
Liberals - 32
New Democrats - 29
Greens - 5

http://www.legermarketing.com/documents/POL/111011ENG.pdf

Which probably equals a very weak Liberal majority or strong minority. I would note that, even though PC's are ahead and might win the popular vote, that doesn't mean they'll win the most seats. First past the post, and all that. So vote however you want. Strategic voting is stupid, imo. It just ties you down and you end up voting for someone you didn't really want to.

So, Nuit Blanche tomorrow night.

Who's going?

My girl and I might go, depending on the weather. If it's gonna be cold and rainy, we're gonna stay in.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
lunarworks said:
So, Nuit Blanche tomorrow night.

Who's going?

My girl and I might go, depending on the weather. If it's gonna be cold and rainy, we're gonna stay in.

I'm pretty sure I've been asked to go. I would rather stay in, so unless I am confronted directly with a clear request, I am going to pretend to have no idea what's going on.

I should probably go one of these years, I hear there are a lot of babies though.

Kinitari said:
I'm pretty sure I've been asked to go. I would rather stay in, so unless I am confronted directly with a clear request, I am going to pretend to have no idea what's going on.

I was planning on going and drinking all night and pretending to like visual art just like everyone else... but if it's going to rain then I'll just stay home I think.

Roto13

I went last year and it was basically just lines. I might go out if it's not raining and a friend decides to go. (I live downtown so it wouldn't be a big deal to go.)

Top Bottom