• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

cbox

I don't think the actual process of voting is what sways people, I mean it took me no longer than 5 minutes today. I just don't think enough people understand, nor take time to understand, OR; they just don't care.

I'd love to be able to vote from my phone, but it'll never happen.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ConvenientBox said:
I don't think the actual process of voting is what sways people, I mean it took me no longer than 5 minutes today. I just don't think enough people understand, nor take time to understand, OR; they just don't care.

I think it's a mix of what you've said, but mostly I believe people just don't believe they'll make a difference.

It is the process though. You have to make it as simple as possible for people, given the technology we have. They may not even know it takes five minutes in some cases. Or they might have gone once before, and had to wait 45 minutes.. or had a 'bad experience'.

I'll be interested to see what the 18-35yr old turn out rate was. Pathetically low, I bet.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
EvilMario said:
As soon as I heard him say "I'm going to end the war on cars" is his platform for Toronto, I knew it had to be over.

I figured after that whole homophobic flyer thing, he had officially lost it.

cbox

EvilMario said:
I'll be interested to see what the 18-35yr old turn out rate was. Pathetically low, I bet.

The lady who helped me today was seemed so surprised to see someone my age there, you're probably right, sadly.

Home

They could just make voting mandatory and make the day a holiday. Of course then you get people with no idea who the candidates are voting, but I'm not sure what else you can do.

Some people just don't give a fuck about their representatives sadly.

Zzoram

EvilMario said:
Maybe something like vote online (using a piece of government ID+voter registration card), and then you have to print out and mail in your receipt to show you voted and sign it. I don't know.. obviously it can be like any opinion poll online, but I'm sure they must be able to secure it enough. Government handles plenty of sensitive issues online already, like immigration.

That would actually be way harder than the current system. There are polls EVERYWHERE and it usually takes less than 5 minutes to get in and out of one. It's super easy to vote, that's not the problem. People just don't care.

Stet said:
VYbAL.png
uRJ5T.jpg

But seriously... overreact much?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ford out in full force this morning on Metro Morning. He brought up 35% tax increase, 'efficiencies' about 800 times, and how people want him to 'stay the course'. He also makes an analogy to running the city like a business, and how the work force is the gravy.

Azih

EvilMario said:
Ford out in full force this morning on Metro Morning. He brought up 35% tax increase, 'efficiencies' about 800 times, and how people want him to 'stay the course'. He also makes an analogy to running the city like a business, and how the work force is the gravy.
God, the guy is doubling down on a strategy that has made him look like an idiot almost constantly over the last few months. I mean sure, if you repeat something enough times it starts to sound true, but only if you have a sympathetic media repeating your claims.

The next time substantial cuts are brought up everybody who is going to be hurt by the cuts will rally against it just like last time. He's also going to be raked over the coals when all his boneheaded transit moves start to cripple the system next year.

Also he's now a known political liability. Nobody is going to want to cooperate with him on his boneheaded ideas as it's obvious that Ford Nation has petered out. Why the hell would McGuinty, Howarth, or Hudak stick their necks out for him? Being Toronto friendly isn't the best of options of any provincial politician at the best of times and why the hell would anyone of them go to bat for Ford?

The Media has gotten over their fear of Ford nation as well and will get more hits/views/whatever from roasting his ass.

Three more years!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
crazy monkey said:
Please do not watch sun tv it is shity shity shit

I'm still laughing with how they interrupted their election coverage with: "OMG BREAKING NEWS!!! We're trending on twitter in Toronto!!! We sure are a legitimate news source after all!"

Azih said:
Kinda odd that we didn't have an Ontario election thread of its own. Does this thread fulfill that need?

The centre of the universe has the ability to consume everything.
May as well move the discussion of the new Zelda game in here as well.

Conservatives on Facebook today are really really funny

I didn't even get bad on Facebook after Harper won a majority and my Liberals were demolished =/

Friend on Facebook.....

"The gravy is around they just found $29M of it. Ford promised and delivered no property tax increase for 2011 what he campaigned on and eliminated the hated vehicle tax. Property taxes will be going up by the % you mention next year to be on par with inflation. he never said he's leaving property taxes at current levels for his term.

Dalton - HST, Health Tax, Eco-Tax, HST on hydro, 1 Billion dollars blown on e-health do i need to go on?"

He doesn't understand there is more to governing and living than just taxes :|

Pakkidis

i did my part, took me less than a minute to vote, the library where I voted was dead empty.

I wish the liberals were able to get atleast 1 more seat :(.

BTW, was the PC party calling any of your houses. I have received at least 2 phone calls a day by the PC party leading up to elections asking me if I was going to vote for them. I finally told them I would because I wanted them to stop calling. On the day of elections they called me again to make sure I was voting for them and that I had a ride to the polls.

I voted liberal :)

elty

Home said:
They could just make voting mandatory and make the day a holiday. Of course then you get people with no idea who the candidates are voting, but I'm not sure what else you can do.

Some people just don't give a fuck about their representatives sadly.

I would rather those people not vote than force to vote. Because if not, they will just pick the one with a catchy slogan (stop the gravy train).

Spl1nter

Pakkidis said:
i did my part, took me less than a minute to vote, the library where I voted was dead empty.

BTW, was the PC party calling any of your houses. I have received at least 2 phone calls a day by the PC party leading up to elections asking me if I was going to vote for them. I finally told them I would because I wanted them to stop calling. On the day of elections they called me again to make sure I was voting for them and that I had a ride to the polls.

If you tell a party you are going to vote for them prior to election day than they will call you and knock on your door on election day. Election day ground game only covers people who have said they will vote for your party in earlier polling.

Kunohara

Pakkidis said:

Fucking shit they must've called at least 5-6 times yesterday. I just didn't pick up. They kept sending flyers to our house also. Up to the election, I must've gotten 2-3 calls per day. Really fucking annoying. Glad they lost.

Prax

Fuzzy said:
Not good at all. We need Ford and Hudak to be best friends for the good of us all.

Hmm.. you are right. They need to stay buddies so they can all sink together.
This will be hard, Toronto. But somehow we can do this!

Rinoa

Zzoram said:
That would actually be way harder than the current system. There are polls EVERYWHERE and it usually takes less than 5 minutes to get in and out of one. It's super easy to vote, that's not the problem. People just don't care.

A lot of people are just not home when the voting is happening. Such as students or workers in a completely different city at the time.

We really need to have online voting..

Vhalyar

Changing the topic away from politics for a moment, what's the best way to get to and from Pearson Airport? I know that the TTC has a few lines going there, but I keep eharing about a shuttle that's apparently rather nice, though I can't really find what exactly it is (Airport Express?)

Vhalyar said:
Changing the topic away from politics for a moment, what's the best way to get to and from Pearson Airport? I know that the TTC has a few lines going there, but I keep eharing about a shuttle that's apparently rather nice, though I can't really find what exactly it is (Airport Express?)
Yes, it's called airport express. But that's damn expensive.

For 1/4 the price, you can take the GO bus from Yorkdale and it will drop you off at Terminal 1.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BladeWorker said:

For 1/4 the price, you can take the GO bus from Yorkdale and it will drop you off at Terminal 1.
Or just take TTC if luggage isn't a problem. Most people don't take it, so I've never had too big of a problem with it being full and whatnot.

Zzoram

Rinoa said:
A lot of people are just not home when the voting is happening. Such as students or workers in a completely different city at the time.

We really need to have online voting..

There are like 5 different advance polling days before each election. There is plenty of opportunity if you care to.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Vhalyar said:

If you're staying in the city, many hotels offer a shuttle service to and from the airport.

Vhalyar

EvilMario said:
If you're staying in the city, many hotels offer a shuttle service to and from the airport.
Going to pick up my dad who's visiting actually, so no hotel freebies.

BladeWorker said:

I'll take the 192, thanks for the info!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
From a Star article:

The NDP’s Andrea Horwath was the only party leader to commit to subsidizing half the TTC budget, as the province once did. But the NDP is on record as strongly supporting the Transit City light-rail plan that Ford ripped up in favour of the Sheppard subway extension project that critics do not believe is financially feasible.

Councillor Joe Mihevc, an NDP supporter and former TTC vice-chair, said he has no inside knowledge of Horwath’s plans. But he said: “Rumours of the death of Transit City are greatly exaggerated, and it is now in play.

“There is a dynamic transit file. Hang on to your seats, Toronto — this is going to be one of the biggest city issues over the next three or four months.”

Return of Transit City, even slightly altered, would be magical. Maybe there really is a Santa Claus!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't imagine Transit City will be back under Ford. I hope the Ontario government holds transit funding hostage and forces Ford to re-implement the plan... maybe then, we'll see smarter minds prevail.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
In a perfect situation, the Province breaks Ford on Transit City by paying half of the operating cost at the TTC. Then we have a manageable system from a cost perspective, and we have the expansion this city badly requires.

Now if only the construction Transit City would require could go smoothly, instead of handing out these contracts that don't hold the contractors responsible for finishing on time, or letting residents / businesses know about progress.

Roto13

So I have to get from Wellesley Station to Yorkdale Station. About how much longer would it take to get there staying on the Yonge-University-Spadina line than switching to and from the Bloor-Danforth line to cut across? Also, I'm assuming it's simple enough to get from the Y-U-S platforms to the B-D platforms. :p I've never had to transfer on this subway system before.

Draff

It'll be faster to switch on to the bloor line at st. george and then transfer again at yonge/bloor. It'll probably be an extra 10 minutes if you stay on the Y-U line.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If you're boarding at Wellesley, just stay on south and go around. Any time you would have saved boarding another train at Yonge-Bloor will be wasted on having to walk to the other platform and wait for another train.

Of course, you'll probably be unlucky and trains will be stopping at Union Station for half an hour for an emergency / suspicious package.

Roto13

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking. Switching doesn't really seem to be worth the hassle and it's its own few extra steps anyway. I'm fully expecting huge delays for no reason. :p

Terproerg

Hey does anyone know if there is an elevator in the building at 662 king street west? I have a job interview there and wondered if i can get up to the 2nd floor.

Quick

Banned
So, I just found out my drivers license is expired. I'm pissed at myself because I usually keep track of these important things and I feel like a dumbass for not checking.

Anyway, would I have to redo the G1 and G2 test, or can I just pay a fee to renew it? I'm on a G2 license.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Quick said:
So, I just found out my drivers license is expired. I'm pissed at myself because I usually keep track of these important things and I feel like a dumbass for not checking.

Anyway, would I have to redo the G1 and G2 test, or can I just pay a fee to renew it? I'm on a G2 license.
That happened to me with my G. I completely forgot I had received my renewal notice in the mail and my license expired. I simply went in and lied about not getting the notice and they simply let me renew it without any extra fee.

You being having a G2 license means you have to start over again because they can't be renewed. Try calling and they might let you book your G test but don't count on it. Read the following.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml

Quick

Banned
Thanks, Fuzzy. Balls about not being able to simply renew, but that's what I get.

On the small plus side, at least I can get the tests done quickly. Still fucking sucks, but I'll take my upsides.

Roto13

Has anyone been to Wonderland's Haunted Halloween before? I went over the weekend and it was pretty fun. The haunted houses/mazes are pretty good, assuming there's no such thing as a haunted house that's actually scary. (Nothing jumped out at me because I went with a really jumpy girl who acted as a lightning rod for all of that stuff. :p) There were people in costumes wandering around who were really into it. I liked it. Think I'll go again next year.

Terproerg said:
Hey does anyone know if there is an elevator in the building at 662 king street west? I have a job interview there and wondered if i can get up to the 2nd floor.
Probably but not definitely. Most commercial buildings in the city are required by bylaw/statute to have an elevator.

That said, some are grandfathered.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
City headed for $140M surplus thanks to tax Ford wants to scrap

Toronto’s land transfer tax, which Mayor Rob Ford wants to scrap, will contribute $80 million more to city coffers in 2011 than estimated.

In a report to the budget committee, finance staff project the tax windfall and cost cuts mean there will be a $139.3 million surplus left over at the end of this year.
That’s money that will make it easier to balance the 2012 budget.

The large surplus results in part from a hiring freeze and other cost-saving measures, but most comes from the higher tax haul.

“It’s been a hot real estate year,” said Councillor Adam Vaughan, whose downtown ward has seen a condominium building boom.

Ford campaigned for office last year on terminating the land transfer tax, brought in by former mayor David Miller after he won increased powers to levy taxes from the provincial government.

But critics say the tax, expected to yield a total of $300 million in 2011, is needed to take the pressure off the property tax.

“Yesterday, I would have said Mayor Ford was crazy to want to cancel the land transfer tax. Today, I’d say he’s absolutely crazy to want to cancel the tax,” said Councillor Gord Perks.

Perks and other administration critics have accused the mayor of scare-mongering by suggesting a 35 percent property tax hike may be needed to balance next year’s budget.

“It’s the land transfer tax that’s keeping the city afloat, and making sure we can provide good services without big tax increases.”

Ford did not respond to the Star’s request for comment.

A Ford ally, Councillor Doug Holyday, said the city’s budget shouldn’t be dependent on the real estate market.

“Big surpluses are great when they happen, but they don’t always happen,” said Holyday, chair of council’s audit committee. “We have to solve our problems in other ways.

“I would like to see that tax gone.”

Still, Holyday doesn’t believe it will be abolished in 2012 and said he hasn’t heard a target date. Ford’s campaign platform called for getting rid of it by the end of 2011, but the mayor later hedged on timing.

Council should vote to keep the tax, said Councillor Joe Mihevc.

“It’s big bucks. We are heavily dependent on that revenue. The mayor still has it in his agenda to cut this tax. We need to understand that and make sure it doesn’t happen.

One of the advantages of the land transfer tax is that most voters don’t pay it.

“If you’re a real estate speculator, you’re upset, or if you’re a real estate agent you’re upset because all you’re interesting in is buying and selling property,” Vaughan said.

“But if you’re a citizen, it’s going to allow us to weather the storm. The truth is, it’s a good tax that evens out the peaks and valleys in the budget.”

Holyday said Ford hasn’t talked much about the tax recently because the goal is to cut costs first.

“The difficulty is losing the revenue before you’ve reduced your expenses,” he said. “Let’s see how far we can go in reducing expenses.”

Holyday and other Ford backers say the city did too much hiring under Miller. He would like to see the payroll cut by 7,000 employees.

The budget report said that as of June 30, the city had 47,460 full time employees and 4,177 part-timers. That’s a drop of 1,967 workers, mostly due to not filling vacancies.

Cut all revenue, cry about services and employees eating up cash. Makes sense to me.

Top Bottom