• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Zombie James said:
Mikado? How does it compare to Sushi D?
All I can say is this: 'if you want authentic sushi made by a Japanese chef that won't cost an arm and leg, go here'

You name it, I've very likely been to it. Mikado blows everything out of the water. Fish over rice for nigiri is a generous size like it should be, and the sushi rice is tasty. And I fucking hate rice!

They also have these seats in the back where you take off your shoes and sit at a table where it's at a height as if you were kneeling.

If anyone can find a better place for that price, I'd be shocked. Never in my 20 years living here would I think I could get something like this here.

They also serve other Japanese fare like curry. And a ton of other stuff.

edit: I live only a 10 min drive away and there's a bestbuy near there too.

Azuran

Banned
Zombie James said:
Hey, let's hear what "His Worship" has this say!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/rob-...canada-speech-october-14-2011/272245269465205

yAYUr.png

I got a laugh at the opening paragraph. He's more like the 2004 Blue Jays.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
cold.
in class.
plus, I don't really blame bay st.
we thankfully have enough regulations and shit up here so that banks don't get 'too' profit crazy...even though those fucks didn't renew my contract because they weren't making 'enough' money. Couple billion weren't enough? CEO got a bonus in stocks instead of money? (would've been cheaper to give him money since the stock doubled in a few months).

Spl1nter

Fatghost said:
CBC reports about 150 people showed up for Occupy Toronto.

I find it difficult to see the occupy movement gaining as much momentum in Canada. A lot of the structural reasons for the protests are either not present or as prevalent in Canada.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Spl1nter said:
I find it difficult to see the occupy movement gaining as much momentum in Canada. A lot of the structural reasons for the protests are either not present or as prevalent in Canada.

And it's raining and protesting in the rain is too much like work.

Spl1nter said:

Exactly. Our banking system saved our economy instead of crippling it like in the US. Not that there isn't a wealth distribution problem worldwide, but the US is in its own galaxy.

Spl1nter

added_time said:
Exactly. Our banking system saved our economy instead of crippling it like in the US. Not that there isn't a wealth distribution problem worldwide, but the US is in its own galaxy.

Another issue is corporate lobbying, while it is a strong force in Canada, it does not have anywhere close to the same affect on the political system in comparison to the US. This is mainly because of whipping and regulation.

There are a lot of reasons in general why the occupy movement has continued to gain momentum in the US. There are a few good articles on foreignaffairs.com

The protest will grow in size because of the usual groups that show up to every protest even if it has nothing to do with their message

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Seriously, occupy Toronto is a bit of a waste - we don't have the same sort of issues as the states, our banks are (in comparison) awesome.

I'm loving the coverage on City News, all sorts of people down there, some look really stoned, some are well spoken, and Bob Rae is even there :D

I don't see Occupy Toronto getting all that rowdy. All the professional anarchists from Quebec already got arrested at Occupy Wall Street.

Prax

Oh no! They be stealin'/repropriating more pagan holidays! I will not stand for this! leave my All Hallow's Eve alonnneee!

And it kind sounds like you're weaning yourself from Jesus.
They won't be able to make it catchy enough.
But then again. MORE holidays for gift-giving? Christmas 2?

Stet

Banned
EvilMario said:
Thinking about trying FoodShare. Seems like a pretty reasonable price for quite a lot. The price of produce even at the low end stores has skyrocketed in the past couple of years, so this might be good. Anyone try this, or a similar program?

http://www.foodshare.net/goodfoodbox03.htm
Wasn't exactly a food share program, but I subscribed to an organics box for 8 months or so called Front Door Organics. The price was pretty good, and the product was always great, but I eventually had to quit because there's only me and my girlfriend and they didn't offer different sized boxes. It started to get so that we dreaded getting the next box because we still had vegetables left over and we didn't know what to do with them. But if you don't tell them not to send it by three days before it's scheduled to come you get it anyway, and they never stop, it's just vegetables and fruit all the time, root vegetables and kale and potatoes and kale and apples and kale and more goddamn potatoes and eggplant and spinach and KALE AND STOP THIS FUCKING THING IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE

Kraftwerk

Milagro on Queen street west:

A bunch of us got really hungry after a busy day of work, so popped in here. None of us had ever been to Milagro.

OH

MY

GOD

The food. The food is incredible. My friend had slow cooked lamb in banana leaves, and I had Grilled tenderloin with a special sauce/cream they make. The other 2 friends had Abadoa (sp) Rib eye pork and bacon burritos.

We all came.

Then we had a special espresso they make with cheesecake.

We came again.

For the price, one of the best places to go in Toronto for food.

Will definitely recommend this to everyone.

Thanks for the tip. I love Mexican food and just glancing at their menu, it appears that they are trying more things then the average place.

On that note, does anyone know a place in town that serves Elote? It's Mexican corn on the cob dipped in cheese, butter, lemon and chilis.
I always buy it when I'm in the States but have never seen it in Toronto.

Mexican+Corn+on+the+Cob+(Elote)+3+500.jpg

If anyone knows a place that has it in town, I will love you forever for sharing that information!

Boogie

whitehawk said:
Dammit, I have to go in to court in December because I witnessed a car crash a month ago :(

Poor muffin, I've probably spent two weeks at court this year.

Oh wait, I get paid for that, nevermind. ;P

jokkir

What's the best, cheapest internet I can get that has unlimited bandwidth? Right now, I'm with Primus but the speeds are so slow. The plus is that it's unlimited. I'm not really sure about the price either but here are the speeds I'm getting:

mSQdr.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
jokkir said:
What's the best, cheapest internet I can get that has unlimited bandwidth? Right now, I'm with Primus but the speeds are so slow. The plus is that it's unlimited. I'm not really sure about the price either but here are the speeds I'm getting:

Quoting myself from a few weeks ago:

1509303955.png

We're 300gb cable for $45~. It's a bit over $50.00 for unlimited.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
By the way, some of you may be happy to know I have my citizenship test on Thursday this week. Most of the questions on the test are common knowledge to me, but there are a few specific date / number related history questions that could bite me. And then a few really weird questions like Who invented the snow mobile? They even have a question about what product RIM invented. Looking online, there are a few people that don't care for some of those questions. I don't really care, it's just simple memorization, but it's funny that your citizenship could hinge on the Blackberry.

Using a few sites to test on, but this one is Ontario specific which is good. Most test on the first time through I scored 80-100, but there are a couple of tough ones. Going to keep going over these until I burst.

http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Roto13 said:
I didn't even know there was a test. I didn't think bullshit like that happened outside of the US.

They pull from a pool of over 100 questions, and it's 15/20 correct to pass. It was 12/20 for years, but that changed last year. Most of the questions are pretty grade school-level, but a few are just very.. odd.

Of course, even if you fail the citizenship test in Canada, you can beg a judge to allow you to become a citizen. It's very tough not to become one in the end.

Roto13 said:
I didn't even know there was a test. I didn't think bullshit like that happened outside of the US.

My mom failed (she was very young, and it was in Quebec) back in the early 70's but the judge gave her citizenship anyways. Apparently, that was the case for many immigrants back then.

Takao

Banned
I went to the University fair at the MTCC yesterday.

Damn aging, you scary :(

I'm thinking that Ryerson would be a decent place for me since I'm a lazy smuck who doesn't like traveling far. I'm interested in the Television and Radio courses, and yeah I know that's an incredibly competitive course. Sigh ...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
By the way, some of you may be happy to know I have my citizenship test on Thursday this week. Most of the questions on the test are common knowledge to me, but there are a few specific date / number related history questions that could bite me. And then a few really weird questions like Who invented the snow mobile? They even have a question about what product RIM invented. Looking online, there are a few people that don't care for some of those questions. I don't really care, it's just simple memorization, but it's funny that your citizenship could hinge on the Blackberry.

Using a few sites to test on, but this one is Ontario specific which is good. Most test on the first time through I scored 80-100, but there are a couple of tough ones. Going to keep going over these until I burst.

Run for mayor!

I'D VOTE FOR EM!

EvilMario said:

Good luck to you!

My Grandma just became a Canadian citizen after living here for 55 years when she moved here from Austria after WWII.

I asked her and she didnt remember having to do any test. haha they must have went easy on her since she is old.

Quick

Banned
added_time said:
Good luck to you!

My Grandma just became a Canadian citizen after living here for 55 years when she moved here from Austria after WWII.

I asked her and she didnt remember having to do any test. haha they must have went easy on her since she is old.

I didn't have to do a test for my citizenship, as well. My parents had to, though. Haha.

Top Bottom