• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
On another note; why do cyclist insist on riding on the boardwalk between Roncesvalles and the Humber? The bicyclist even have their own, nicely paved, 'no walking allowed', lane ten meters away.

And of course these are the bikes without bells, speeding in and out of crowds. And this is why all cyclist in the city end up with the same inconsiderate label.

Picture east of Sunnyside near Roncy. Click for larger image, but the original is much too large to upload.

Oppo

^ yeah I hate that.

(The bell thing, less so, since I can usually speak or whistle at least as loud. That's a dumb law if you ask me.)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
PortTwo said:
^ yeah I hate that.

(The bell thing, less so, since I can usually speak or whistle at least as loud. That's a dumb law if you ask me.)

Yes. I don't really care if you have a bell, or not, I just want to know someone is coming from behind if I don't hear the wheels spinning. Especially if I'm walking my dog, because he's the one most likely to make a sudden movement.

Stet

Banned
Roto13 said:
Has anyone been to Wonderland's Haunted Halloween before? I went over the weekend and it was pretty fun. The haunted houses/mazes are pretty good, assuming there's no such thing as a haunted house that's actually scary. (Nothing jumped out at me because I went with a really jumpy girl who acted as a lightning rod for all of that stuff. :p) There were people in costumes wandering around who were really into it. I liked it. Think I'll go again next year.

They hire actors to wander around in costumes. Legitimate, often unionized actors. It's pretty neat.

Appleman

EvilMario said:
On another note; why do cyclist insist on riding on the boardwalk between Roncesvalles and the Humber? The bicyclist even have their own, nicely paved, 'no walking allowed', lane ten meters away.

And of course these are the bikes without bells, speeding in and out of crowds. And this is why all cyclist in the city end up with the same inconsiderate label.

Picture east of Sunnyside near Roncy. Click for larger image, but the original is much too large to upload.

Bikes on the boardwalk is as bad as walkers on the bike path, but THE WORST is people riding their street-legal, license-plated mopeds on the Martin-Goodman... Ugh.

EvilMario said:

they think they are cool

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Appleman said:
Bikes on the boardwalk is as bad as walkers on the bike path, but THE WORST is people riding their street-legal, license-plated mopeds on the Martin-Goodman... Ugh.

Agreed, although I see far less people walking on the bike path most of the year. The bad time for this is in June/July in the summer when loads of tourist who don't know (and apparently can't read the signs) and other people from around the city that would normally avoid the area, invade. And then you have parents letting their kids loose at the beach; running up to dogs on leash, playing in the bicycle lane, throwing trash everywhere.

Both bug me to no end, but that's just people. Pedestrians, cyclist, motorist; other people don't matter, they're just obstacles in your way from point A to point B. Drives me insane.

At least now winter is nearing. And there will be far less people around the parks until at least April. And the people that go to the park in the winter are usually more tolerable. Haha.

Repost from Gaming side:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446410
Time
Wednesday, October 12 · 5:00pm - 9:00pm
25 British Columbia Road
Toronto, Ontario
Created By
PlayStation Canada
More Info
Hi Everyone,

We're excited to invite you to our 2011 PlayStation Holiday Event taking place at the Liberty Grand in "The Artifacts Room" from 5-9 p.m.

We'll be showing off a huge number of first party and third party titles, giving you access to play them before they hit the shelves this holiday season.

Everyone is invited - friends, friends of friends, neighbours, family members, distant third cousins...

Hope to see you there!

- PlayStation Canada
I think there's a few of us that will be showing up, anyone here interested?

As someone who both regularly walks and bikes along the waterfront, pedestrians walking on the bike path are for more common than cyclists on the pedestrian sections. I've lost track of the number of times I had to slam my brakes because someone decided to casually stroll into the middle of the bike path without even looking to see if a cyclist(myself) was about to travel directly into the space they decided to occupy. When I walk along the waterfront, having a bike creep up on me is a rare occurrence.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Steriletom said:
As someone who both regularly walks and bikes along the waterfront, pedestrians walking on the bike path are for more common than cyclists on the pedestrian sections. I've lost track of the number of times I had to slam my brakes because someone decided to casually stroll into the middle of the bike path without even looking to see if a cyclist(myself) was about to travel directly into the space they decided to occupy. When I walk along the waterfront, having a bike creep up on me is a rare occurrence.

One cyclist yelled me to get out of his way since he was going so fast.

Another time the cyclists just kept ringing their horn. No slowing down, no asking, nothing.

Sidewalk is for walking, it's not another goddamn bike path!

My biggest beef is how some cyclists seem to think they have yhe rights of both without having to follow the rules of either.

I almost never see any cyclist signal when turning. I also see them riding next to pedestrians when crossing. I mean, you really can't get off and walk it across?

I also have NO idea where you see people walk along the bike paths. Unless you're talking about jaywalking to cross and not walkinh along it, tell me the intersection and area, cause I've lived here over 20 years and have NEVER seen this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:

Another time the cyclists just kept ringing their horn. No slowing down, no asking, nothing.

My biggest beef is how some cyclists seem to think they have yhe rights of both without having to follow the rules of either.

I almost never see any cyclist signal when turning. I also see them riding next to pedestrians when crossing. I mean, you really can't get off and walk it across?

I also have NO idea where you see people walk along the bike paths. Unless you're talking about jaywalking to cross and not walkinh along it, tell me the intersection and area, cause I've lived here over 20 years and have NEVER seen this.

I see it around Windermere, between the Humber and Roncy all the time. People DO walk on the bicycle paths quite a bit, but in my experience it's less than the amount of people riding on the boardwalk. Like I said, summer transforms the entire stretch into a lawless free for all, so I'm looking forward to the winter. Less people overall. :p

Regard other stuff, although I think we've been over bikes about a dozen times now in the thread; There is a sizable group of cyclist that feel entitled, and they like to bend the rules between being a vehicle and being a pedestrian. And then there's the dangerous ones that blow through red lights, zoom past open streetcar doors (while giving people coming off the streetcar dirty looks), and the ones riding on sidewalks.

It's a shame, because I do think the majority of cyclist follow the rules for the most part. But you'll always notice the douche with his earbuds in that clips someone coming off a streetcar, and proceeds to blow the red light with barely a glance. And you'll never notice the twenty other bicycles you saw that day that did everything right.

Enforcement is an issue as well. If by-law officers were as concerned with bicycles as they are parking enforcement and having coffee while reading the news paper 'surveying' off leash dog parks, maybe the elitist brand of cyclist would get the message.

lunarworks said:
Saw the words "Artifacts Room" and hoped for something Smithsonianesque. Prototypes and rarities and such.

Just games not out yet? Boring.

Maybe if they promised a few Vita demo units. Sony & Nintendo really need to setup permanent stores here to go along with Microsoft's Xbox place at Queen and Spadina.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
We got a ton of cyclists in riverdale/beaches and I have never ONCE seen people stupid enough to walk on the bike lanes. Not. Once. I have seen a shit ton of cyclists on the sidewalk.

Kuro Madoushi said:

We were specifically talking about a stretch of the waterfront running east from the humber bridge. There's a bike path completely separate from the roads that runs parallel to a pedestrian walk. It's actually a very nice and pleasant area(me and the girlfriend just went for a walk there yesterday). I agree that there's issues with cyclists in general in the city(also with cars and pedestrians, though), but this specific location has problems separate from those. I agree that seeing pedestrians walking on a regular city bike path would be a strange site to come across.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
We got a ton of cyclists in riverdale/beaches and I have never ONCE seen people stupid enough to walk on the bike lanes. Not. Once. I have seen a shit ton of cyclists on the sidewalk.

Sunnyside / Roncy receive a bunch of tourist, which I place most of the blame on. They just don't give a shit, even if there are signs every 50 meters. Of course I've seen more bicycles on sidewalks throughout the city on regularity, because there's so many more opportunities for them.

I've seen it in the Beaches too, but far, far less. And once again, much more when it's a busy summer weekend.

edit: Like Steriletom said above, we were specifically speaking about the path from Humber to around Roncesvalles. There's a separate paved, well marked 'bicycle only path', spaced away from the boardwalk by 50ft, or more. You'd have to be an idiot to walk on the bicycle path for more than a couple of minutes before noticing the signs, the 'bicycle lane' stamps on the pavement, and the sheer number of bicycles passing you (and they're probably dinging their bells too).

Kuro Madoushi said:

Nah, you're just not noticing because there's no need for you to be aware of them when they do get on the bike path. It's definitely something that would be happening in your neck of the woods on the regular too:

MGTbeaches05.jpg

Anyway, I'm off too bed

EvilMario said:
Enforcement is an issue as well. If by-law officers were as concerned with bicycles as they are parking enforcement and having coffee while reading the news paper 'surveying' off leash dog parks, maybe the elitist brand of cyclist would get the message.
There are traffic violation and speed traps all over the city on any given day, and they pull over thousands of drivers. Doesn't stop people from speeding or making a left through a no-left-turn sign.

People who think they are too good to obey the rules of the road will disobey whether you ticket them or not. The only enforcement that works is getting hit by a car. That's the Hobbesian way!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BladeWorker said:
There are traffic violation and speed traps all over the city on any given day, and they pull over thousands of drivers. Doesn't stop people from speeding or making a left through a no-left-turn sign.

People who think they are too good to obey the rules of the road will disobey whether you ticket them or not. The only enforcement that works is getting hit by a car. That's the Hobbesian way!

I'm sure that enforcement to an extent does work by attrition over time (although I welcome studies showing otherwise). If people know they can get away with something, they will do it. My sister in-law, not being able to afford any more speeding tickets, doesn't speed anymore for instance. If there was no threat of traffic cops on highways, do you think people wouldn't try to get away with more? There's definitely a group of people that will just do whatever they want, as you said though.

Of course, if you're strictly looking at it from a profit perspective, there must be money to be made on bicycle violations. I see legions of bicycles driving past parking enforcement officers without the ticket-puncher even batting an eye. There's no fear of enforcement at all.

gimz

EvilMario said:

can somebody tell me what does this kind of photo called?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Had dinner at Sushi 67 on Roncesvalles (pretty far down toward Queen). Really excellent place, just small. Friendly staff, very free ingredients, and you can request something if you'd like. Reasonably priced for quality sushi too. Colour me impressed, it's the best sushi I've had in the city (although my wife swears by a place on Yonge St I haven't tried yet).

Will be going back, and probably frequently.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
Had dinner at Sushi 67 on Roncesvalles (pretty far down toward Queen). Really excellent place, just small. Friendly staff, very free ingredients, and you can request something if you'd like. Reasonably priced for quality sushi too. Colour me impressed, it's the best sushi I've had in the city (although my wife swears by a place on Yonge St I haven't tried yet).

Will be going back, and probably frequently.
I guarantee mikado will knock your socks off. I've been pretty much all over for sushi places.

I'll even bet a hat on it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
I guarantee mikado will knock your socks off. I've been pretty much all over for sushi places.

I'll even bet a hat on it.

Yes! I haven't forgotten, I do want to try Mikado. We're not usually in the neighborhood, but when we're out there we'll give it a whirl.

Top Bottom