• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Azih

EvilMario said:
Soon no place will be safe. :(
I don't know. I think the article made the good point that Vancouver doesn't have a giant ring of low density suburbs that have no idea what keeps a city functioning to mobilize like Toronto does.

Median

Takao said:
I went to the University fair at the MTCC yesterday.

Damn aging, you scary :(

I'm thinking that Ryerson would be a decent place for me since I'm a lazy smuck who doesn't like traveling far. I'm interested in the Television and Radio courses, and yeah I know that's an incredibly competitive course. Sigh ...

I can't really speak to the quality of the Radio and Television programs since I went there for Business Technology Management, but Ryerson is a decent school. One thing you really need to consider is the fact that it's definitely a commuter school spread out over a several block radius downtown. The campus life is a little different than most universities simply because most of the students are commuting in. You end up missing out on a lot of the social stuff that people on full university campuses are getting. Of course, that was my personal experience. Could be different for you.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Azih said:
I don't know. I think the article made the good point that Vancouver doesn't have a giant ring of low density suburbs that have no idea what keeps a city functioning to mobilize like Toronto does.

It's true. Amalgamation was a terrible thing to force on Toronto.

Imagine if Vancouver had to bring in Richmond, Burnaday, West and North Vancouver.

giga

I have an order coming from a guy in Toronto and he mailed it with Canada Post using Expedited US. I'm in the US.

The latest the tracking # says so far is: "International shipment has arrived in the destination country".

My question is do they continue tracking after it arrives in the US? Do they hand it over to USPS and do I get a new tracking #? Cheers.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
giga said:
I have an order coming from a guy in Toronto and he mailed it with Canada Post using Expedited US. I'm in the US.

The latest the tracking # says so far is: "International shipment has arrived in the destination country".

My question is do they continue tracking after it arrives in the US? Do they hand it over to USPS and do I get a new tracking #? Cheers.

According to Canada Post's site with information on tracking: Additionally, for items to the U.S.A or internationally, Track tells you when they left Canada and when they reached the destination postal system.

It's likely you'll not be able to track the package from there on. Be aware it could be held up in customs for a while, but in most cases if it's small and inexpensive, it'll pass right through into USPS care.

If you really want to be able to track a package through multiple countries next time, FedEx is a good bet (avoid UPS at all cost when shipping internationally, because of their brokerage charges).

Roto13

EvilMario said:
They pull from a pool of over 100 questions, and it's 15/20 correct to pass. It was 12/20 for years, but that changed last year. Most of the questions are pretty grade school-level, but a few are just very.. odd.

Of course, even if you fail the citizenship test in Canada, you can beg a judge to allow you to become a citizen. It's very tough not to become one in the end.
crimzonflame said:
My mom failed (she was very young, and it was in Quebec) back in the early 70's but the judge gave her citizenship anyways. Apparently, that was the case for many immigrants back then.
My husband plans to apply for citizenship soon, so I guess he'll be taking that test. And he probably already knows about it and just didn't tell me. He'll be ok. He's weird and loves to study. :p

Good luck, EvilMario!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Roto13 said:
My husband plans to apply for citizenship soon, so I guess he'll be taking that test. And he probably already knows about it and just didn't tell me. He'll be ok. He's weird and loves to study. :p

Good luck, EvilMario!

Well, he's probably received the guide already (he will when he receives receipt that his application has been received), but you only have about two weeks notice when they schedule your actual test. It really does sneak up on you, when you've been waiting to hear for 10 months. :p

Thanks for good luck wishes everyone. I just know I'm going to pull a test with a bunch of absurd questions, but I shall defeat it.

giga

EvilMario said:
According to Canada Post's site with information on tracking: Additionally, for items to the U.S.A or internationally, Track tells you when they left Canada and when they reached the destination postal system.

It's likely you'll not be able to track the package from there on. Be aware it could be held up in customs for a while, but in most cases if it's small and inexpensive, it'll pass right through into USPS care.

If you really want to be able to track a package through multiple countries next time, FedEx is a good bet (avoid UPS at all cost when shipping internationally, because of their brokerage charges).
Ah, I see thanks. It's an expensive electronics item ($500) so I guess I should expect even more delay bah!

Fuzzy

EvilMario said:
Well, he's probably received the guide already (he will when he receives receipt that his application has been received), but you only have about two weeks notice when they schedule your actual test. It really does sneak up on you, when you've been waiting to hear for 10 months. :p

Thanks for good luck wishes everyone. I just know I'm going to pull a test with a bunch of absurd questions, but I shall defeat it.
Speaking of becoming a citizen, both my parents often tell me they're more Canadian than my brothers and I because they had to take a test and we were just born here. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fuzzy said:
Speaking of becoming a citizen, both my parents often tell me they're more Canadian than my brothers and I because they had to take a test and we were just born here. :lol

I think most Canadians could pass the test, unlike the often vaunted US citizenship that claims 80% of them would fail it.

15 out of 20 to pass: http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/

Fuzzy

I got 17/20 but I guessed on a couple of them. Come on, who really knows off hand when Nunavut joined?

Fuzzy

EvilMario said:
People who are taking citizenship tests!
Pfft, you're not a true Torontonian if you care about other parts of the country. We'll weed that out of you.

My wife is going to take the citizenship test in a couple years as well so please report back on it after it is done, evilmario!

She is fed up of not being able to vote. Funny thing is that the Americans didn't send her a voters card like they were supposed to for the last election either. So she is being shut out of voting in both countries at the moment.

Roto13

DoctorWho said:
A pop-up for Justin Bieber merchandise and apparently Quebec isn't the only official bilingual province.

I am slain.
Yeah, Quebec isn't bilingual. :p New Brunswick is, though, for some reason.

Azih

Did the whole 100 question thing and got 78. Just kinda bad. I got stumped by the Nunavut question just because I couldn't believe it was done on April 1st. I mean really.

Stet

Banned
Fuzzy said:
I got 17/20 but I guessed on a couple of them. Come on, who really knows off hand when Nunavut joined?
Yeah, I got 16/20 and guessed on a few.

Roto13 said:
Yeah, Quebec isn't bilingual. :p New Brunswick is, though, for some reason.
That's an easy one for people in the ad industry, because NB is the bane of our existence. :(

I got every question right except I misread "what is the official opposition party of Ontario" as "what is the official opposition party of Canada" so I got that one wrong.

StevieP

Banned
Fuzzy said:
They were mocking on the radio the free apps RIM will be giving away because of the outage. I make fun of all the people I know who use them. I don't know why anyone would pick one over an iPhone or Android unless their work gave them for free.

2 words: key-board. (with bonus word: bbm)

What's wrong with stuff like Shazam premium, Vlingo, and Drive Safe.ly? These are all professional, well-done apps that people pay good money for on all mobile platforms.

cbox

I for one don't want to see RIM die, we need more canadian companies on this planet. I just wish they'd wake the fuck up before the company is broken up and sold.

Firestorm

Fuzzy said:
They were mocking on the radio the free apps RIM will be giving away because of the outage. I make fun of all the people I know who use them. I don't know why anyone would pick one over an iPhone or Android unless their work gave them for free.
blackberry-bold-9900-hero.jpg

This beautiful bastard is actually a good phone. I used it for a good 5 months. The keyboard is heavenly and for people who use their phone for communication and don't care about app tonnage, it's perfect. I know a lot of people who use their phones only to connect with other people.

I'm switching to Windows Phone in the near future but I might go back to BlackBerry once second generation BBX devices are out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Agreed. There's a large market for the Blackberry that just don't care about the features of an iPhone, like internet browsing and the apps. Especially for people who are texting non-stop, they want to have an actual keypad.

Firestorm

EvilMario said:
Agreed. There's a large market for the Blackberry that just don't care about the features of an iPhone, like internet browsing and the apps. Especially for people who are texting non-stop, they want to have an actual keypad.
Browsing is actually my #1 use out of smartphones and BBOS7 browsing was just as good as it was on my iPhone. Less screen estate can be a bit of a bother but I was more willing to write long posts on GAF using ckholer's wonderful web app as a result of the keyboard :)

EvilMario said:
They pull from a pool of over 100 questions, and it's 15/20 correct to pass. It was 12/20 for years, but that changed last year. Most of the questions are pretty grade school-level, but a few are just very.. odd.

Of course, even if you fail the citizenship test in Canada, you can beg a judge to allow you to become a citizen. It's very tough not to become one in the end.
Disagree about the "not becoming one in the end", but somewhat agree.

I got one of the important question wrong. During my interview, I got most of the shit wrong cause I was very very tired. Judge just passed me. This is where I agree.

Disagree because my dad didn't had a written test since he is over 65 and had an interview instead. My dad had travelled to Dubai for a few days and judge, upon looking at the stamps, asked my dad to provide tickets with matching dates. My dad did but then they decided it wasn't sufficient proof, so they asked him to provide information of what he did the last 5 years in Canada. This include all the electricity bills, credit card bills, bank statements, any and all purchases, doctor bills, other small payments, his now-defunct company bills, employee statements, and records of everyone that he came with i.e. All this and more for me and my entire family.

So here I am printing over 5,000 page worth of documents and numbering them in an envelope, fuming over this bullshit. When I decided to drop it off to the office, they told me to go away and mail it to them. I argued that when they mail it, it's going to come through these fucking doors! After a few days of explanation on how I can't mail 30 massive files of 5000+ pages, they finally took it in.

A year later, they called my dad for review. They rejected his case cause my dad filed for citizenship 5 days before completing the allotted 1,000 days.

5 days. 5 fucking days. They wasted two additional years and they could have told me that before!!!!! So now, my dad has to wait 4 more years.

TL;DR: If you're young, patient and haven't travelled in the last 4 years; it's easy. Otherwise, prepare to find the ticket stubs, and prepare to call shit load of places for some statements. And for crying out loud, apply atleast a month after the 1,000 days completion!

Edit: I just realized I created a thread for that when this happened. Boy, was I pissed.

10) What is the name of the leader of the Official Opposition at the federal level?
A. Michael Ignatieff.
B. Jack Layton
C. Joy MacPhail.
D. Stephen Harper

:(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
shagg_187 said:
snip

TL;DR: If you're young, patient and haven't travelled in the last 4 years; it's easy. Otherwise, prepare to find the ticket stubs, and prepare to call shit load of places for some statements. And for crying out loud, apply atleast a month after the 1,000 days completion!

Edit: I just realized I created a thread for that when this happened. Boy, was I pissed.

Definitely circumstances can have a large impact. I went out of my way to only travel out of the country once since I became a PR. And I know just how absurdly tight they are with dates, in the country, out of the country and how it counts against the time spent.

None the less, compared to many other countries Canada is pretty liberal when it comes to their immigration, and they leave a lot of doorways open to people. People even complain that it takes forever for CIC to move along, but comparability to say the USA, it's nearly light-speed.

You had a bad incident, so I don't fault you for being pissed, but I still think the citizenship process is simply a matter of time for most people applying.

BigJonsson said:
10) What is the name of the leader of the Official Opposition at the federal level?
A. Michael Ignatieff.
B. Jack Layton
C. Joy MacPhail.
D. Stephen Harper

:(

I was curious if they would have changed the questions quickly enough to match any changes that occurred in the provincial elections, but the party in power / opposition parties didn't change, so I guess it won't matter!

Kraftwerk

Giga's post reminded me:

I order a bunch of thing from ebay, from the same seller. They have been sitting at the border for 10 days now. Is this normal? Someone told me they might be thinking about taxing me, so they are taking their sweet time to send me a bill first, and then release the goods after you pay.

Does this happen often? I tried contacting the border services but no luck.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kraftwerk said:
Giga's post reminded me:

I order a bunch of thing from ebay, from the same seller. They have been sitting at the border for 10 days now. Is this normal? Someone told me they might be thinking about taxing me, so they are taking their sweet time to send me a bill first, and then release the goods after you pay.

You'll have to Pay on Delivery when the package arrives, in almost every case if they decide to tax you.

One time I got a package from the States and everything seemed normal. Then a month later I got a bill for $80 from Canada Customs! I was furious!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
added_time said:
One time I got a package from the States and everything seemed normal. Then a month later I got a bill for $80 from Canada Customs! I was furious!

lol, I've never had this happen. UPS (arg, never again) and Canada Post always have me pay at the door, or at the post office if I miss the package. Surprisingly, I've never had custom charges importing anything from Japan.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
EvilMario said:
I think most Canadians could pass the test, unlike the often vaunted US citizenship that claims 80% of them would fail it.

15 out of 20 to pass: http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/

97/100

Bombardier invented the snowmobile? :O
Quebec produces the most pulp and paper? :O

Also one of the questions was factually wrong; from which European country did the earliest settlers come to Canada? The answer should be Norway.

Stet

Banned
Kraftwerk said:
Giga's post reminded me:

If it's DHL and the tracking says "Clearance Delay" you'll have to pay them to broker it. I had to do that for the candy swap. DHL sucks.

giga

Kraftwerk said:
Giga's post reminded me:

Wait what customs taxes!? Am I going to have to pay taxes for something I ordered on ebay? It's a phone.

Dyno

added_time said:
I feel like I'm the only person in the civilized world that doesn't own a smart phone. It feels really good!

Can't afford it, eh bro. That's cool. Money isn't everything.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We bought a Nexus S a few months ago with WIND on one of their deals. Month to month payments, and a lot cheaper than an iPhone with Rogers. It is handy to have around because we only have the one phone and no landline. Thus, we use it to contact the other person on Google Talk, use the phone to look up locations to eat, directions, etc.

Of course, if we had to sign a contract for the phone plan, I would have never signed up. I'm always very uneasy signing up on a plan.

EvilMario said:
We bought a Nexus S a few months ago with WIND on one of their deals. Month to month payments, and a lot cheaper than an iPhone with Rogers. It is handy to have around because we only have the one phone and no landline. Thus, we use it to contact the other person on Google Talk, use the phone to look up locations to eat, directions, etc.

Of course, if we had to sign a contract for the phone plan, I would have never signed up. I'm always very uneasy signing up on a plan

same never signing any contract again. After 3 years of hell with rogers.

Roto13

Yup yup yup. After the shit I went through for the short time I was with Bell (I'm fairly certain two thirds of the people who work for Bell are part of some job placement program to integrate retarded people into society) I will absolutely never sign another contract with a Canadian cell phone company.

Dyno

added_time said:
Lots of money. Don't wanna be on the internet when I'm not at home/work. It'll be too tempting if it's there. BRO

Really? Tempted? There are so many reasons to have a computer in your pocket. For instance: it's impossible to get lost no matter where you go. You always know the hours of operation for any store you're going to. Taking pictures of anything.

It's like denying yourself a hammer or a screwdriver because you might do stuff with it. Tempted? And all of this somehow 'feels good.' Whateves.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Roto13 said:
Yup yup yup. After the shit I went through for the short time I was with Bell (I'm fairly certain two thirds of the people who work for Bell are part of some job placement program to integrate retarded people into society) I will absolutely never sign another contract with a Canadian cell phone company.

Yup, I bailed on telus last year and bought a Nexus 1 and signed up to wind. Haven't been happier saving at least 200 dollars a year and not having to be on contract.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dyno said:
Really? Tempted? There are so many reasons to have a computer in your pocket. For instance: it's impossible to get lost no matter where you go. You always know the hours of operation for any store you're going to. Taking pictures of anything.

It's like denying yourself a hammer or a screwdriver because you might do stuff with it. Tempted? And all of this somehow 'feels good.' Whateves.

We could definitely live without ours, as we didn't have one for years and years while the rest of the world was busy shelling out for their smart phones. It's a handy device, but why does someone need to have it.

If we were tighter on money, we definitely wouldn't have one. We have very few fixed monthly expenses, and adding the smart phone bill with data plan does add up after a while. The benefits are enough for us to warrant it, but I don't think everyone needs it.

daemonic

Banned
I'm tempted to go back to my non-smart phone, the only thing is that it makes texting/e-mailing so much harder. Right now I have a Motorola Droid but I'll most likely downgrade on my next one to a very basic smartphone.

As for providers, I've been with Fido for about 4 years now without a contract. They have great customer service and now with this flex data plan they offer, I was able to cut my bill in half. I switched to Wind earlier this year but the reception was terrible and calls kept dropping. Unlimited everything though, it was hard to resist.

Dyno

EvilMario said:
We could definitely live without ours, as we didn't have one for years and years while the rest of the world was busy shelling out for their smart phones. It's a handy device, but why does someone need to have it.

If we were tighter on money, we definitely wouldn't have one. We have very few fixed monthly expenses, and adding the smart phone bill with data plan does add up after a while. The benefits are enough for us to warrant it, but I don't think everyone needs it.

Good points but a money-based decision, as is usually the case in this situation.

Top Bottom